RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ariya Crook and USC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/05/14 10:37 am    ::: Ariya Crook and USC? Reply Reply with quote

There's a rumor on the Cal WBB board that Crook (Crook-Williams) has left USC. Anyone else heard anything?

PostPosted: 09/05/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is still listed on their roster. That would be a huge blow to the team.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/05/14 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is not in the team picture shown on the team home page, picture was supposedly recently taken.

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/w-baskbl/usc-w-baskbl-body.html

scroll down, there are two pictures on the page. One with the team in uniform in Galen Center and another picture in yellow t-shirts. She isnt in either(the shot with the yellow shirts someone else is missing too).

I heard she isn't on the team, from reliable sources, but no reason given, nor anything said if a possible return was in the works.

Certainly a different team with the loss of the seniors from last year and now the Pac-12 Tournament MVP from last year.

Wish her the best and hope everything is ok.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/15/14 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
She is not in the team picture shown on the team home page, picture was supposedly recently taken.

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/w-baskbl/usc-w-baskbl-body.html

scroll down, there are two pictures on the page. One with the team in uniform in Galen Center and another picture in yellow t-shirts. She isnt in either(the shot with the yellow shirts someone else is missing too).

I heard she isn't on the team, from reliable sources, but no reason given, nor anything said if a possible return was in the works.

Certainly a different team with the loss of the seniors from last year and now the Pac-12 Tournament MVP from last year.

USC issued statement today about her dismissal. I cant link it from my cell.

And1

PostPosted: 09/15/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/091514aaa.html

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 09/15/14 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what she may have done, but good for the university to uphold its standards.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 09/15/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to wonder if USC wouldn't have been better off to renew Mark Trakh's contract instead of starting all this. Teams and good programs are not built overnight or in 1 or 2 seasons. Look how long it took Geno and McGraw to get to the top of the mountain. About 10 years is how long. Geno won his first NC in 10 and Muffet got to her first Final 4 in 10. and it was 14 for her NC.

Trakh was recruiting very well like Close is now, but Garrett in his infinite impatience, had to have it faster ad after 5 years of M. Cooper the program was a wreck, he was gone and CynCoop was brought in. She beat Stanford in the PAC-12 tourney last March but aside from the youngster from Long Beach Poly, her recruiting has been ineffective but it's early. But unless she got drunk and wrecked a golf cart driving on campus, you don't kick a senior off the team. I hope the severe punishment was warranted and not just "an example".

PostPosted: 09/15/14 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
I have to wonder if USC wouldn't have been better off to renew Mark Trakh's contract instead of starting all this. Teams and good programs are not built overnight or in 1 or 2 seasons. Look how long it took Geno and McGraw to get to the top of the mountain. About 10 years is how long. Geno won his first NC in 10 and Muffet got to her first Final 4 in 10. and it was 14 for her NC.

Trakh was recruiting very well like Close is now, but Garrett in his infinite impatience, had to have it faster ad after 5 years of M. Cooper the program was a wreck, he was gone and CynCoop was brought in. She beat Stanford in the PAC-12 tourney last March but aside from the youngster from Long Beach Poly, her recruiting has been ineffective but it's early. But unless she got drunk and wrecked a golf cart driving on campus, you don't kick a senior off the team. I hope the severe punishment was warranted and not just "an example".

In her first season of recruiting, Cooper-Dyke has landed 1 top 20 kid and two more top 100 kids. She has also landed a top 5 kid in the 2017 recruiting class. I would say she's done pretty well in recruiting in one year. She took a team that had losing records to a PAC-12 title and an NCAA birth. She's done an outstanding job so far.

uconnfan1

PostPosted: 09/15/14 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's plenty of talent in California and she should be do better in Recruiting. We'll see how she does in recruiting in the next couple of years.

Shmermerer1 wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

In her first season of recruiting, Cooper-Dyke has landed 1 top 20 kid and two more top 100 kids. She has also landed a top 5 kid in the 2017 recruiting class. I would say she's done pretty well in recruiting in one year. She took a team that had losing records to a PAC-12 title and an NCAA birth. She's done an outstanding job so far.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/15/14 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uconnfan1 wrote:
There's plenty of talent in California and she should be do better in Recruiting. We'll see how she does in recruiting in the next couple of years.

Shmermerer1 wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make much sense to me. Coope-rDykesforst year at USC was last year. Most of the top kids sign during the early signing period. She inherited a program that was on a downward spiral and was still able to land a top 20 kid and two more top 100 kids. In the spring she got one of the elite players (2nd in the nation by most services I believe) in the 2017 class. I just don't understand how you can say she hasn't recruited that well. It's not like she inherited a Duke or Tennessee program. USC was bad.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/15/14 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shmermerer1 wrote:
uconnfan1 wrote:

Shmermerer1 wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't make much sense to me. Coope-rDykesforst year at USC was last year. Most of the top kids sign during the early signing period. She inherited a program that was on a downward spiral and was still able to land a top 20 kid and two more top 100 kids. In the spring she got one of the elite players (2nd in the nation by most services I believe) in the 2017 class. I just don't understand how you can say she hasn't recruited that well. It's not like she inherited a Duke or Tennessee program. USC was bad.

Don't forget about nabbing transfer Kaneisha Horn, who ranked top 5 in 2010 class (originally an Alabama recruit). Cooper has one more year of her.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 09/15/14 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shmermerer1 wrote:
uconnfan1 wrote:

Shmermerer1 wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

Don't forget about nabbing transfer Kaneisha Horn, who ranked top 5 in 2010 class (originally an Alabama recruit). Cooper has one more year of her.

Horn averaged 11mpg, 3ppg, 3rpg and shot 32% from near the hoop. I think C. Cooper and many of the fans were expecting more, a lot more, from someone with that ranking on their resume. That being said, I would expect her to start this year, until someone else proves they should be starting ahead of her.
The transfer that USC got that might help them this year is Alexis Lloyd. She came from Va Tech. She might be a good enough shooter to partially replace Crooks outside shot.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 09/15/14 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most coaches have a clearly defined policy concerning such things as class attendance, practice, general behavior, etc. Violations will get a player in trouble, but it usually isn't a first offense that gets a player dismissed from the team. Repeated violations, on the other hand....

PostPosted: 09/15/14 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:

A JJ Hones reference.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 09/15/14 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Most coaches have a clearly defined policy concerning such things as class attendance, practice, general behavior, etc. Violations will get a player in trouble, but it usually isn't a first offense that gets a player dismissed from the team. Repeated violations, on the other hand....

I was pointing out that Cooper was successful in recruiting Horn as a transfer. A lot of times transfers and high school recruits don't pan out, but the coach should still get some credit for recruiting them. I'm sure that Kaneisha had other options.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/16/14 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't see it mentioned in this thread but Deanna Calhoun transferred from USC to Hawaii a couple of weeks ago.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's not a great year in California, by the way. Northern California is especially thin in top-level high school talent right now, after landing three McDonald's A-As last year.

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It's not a great year in California, by the way. Northern California is especially thin in top-level high school talent right now, after landing three McDonald's A-As last year.

....and then, it seems like The Best of Them all run off to the East Coast! Evil or Very Mad Unfortunate.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two of the three McDonald's A-As are at Cal. Another top player went to UCLA.

The Pac-12, overall, is getting better.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/091514aaa.html

Phil

PostPosted: 09/17/14 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Two of the three McDonald's A-As are at Cal. Another top player went to UCLA.

The Pac-12, overall, is getting better.

I agree. Seems like not too long ago it was Stanford and either Cal or Arizona State but not both. Cal is very strong. UCLA is up-and-coming, Washington looks headed the right direction, Washington State surprisingly good. We'll have to see what happens to Oregon but Oregon State has been decent. So while that didn't used to be much after Stanford is now a number of decent teams. And I almost forgot USC.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/17/14 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
We'll have to see what happens to Oregon....

I can't help but believe Graves will have them 'contending' in a year or 3. Cool

PostPosted: 09/18/14 3:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Didn't see it mentioned in this thread but Deanna Calhoun transferred from USC to Hawaii a couple of weeks ago.

After I saw your post I looked her up, one thing that stood out to me was she graduated USC in 3 years, that's not the easiest thing to do for a Division I athlete, so that is very impression in my opinion, and the coaches that recruited her at USC, are currently on the coaching staff at Hawaii, Laura Beeman is the Head Coach and Mary Wooley is the Associate Head Coach so it's good that they already have a good relationship.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 09/19/14 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC just received a verbal from Aliyah Mazyck. Number 18 per hoopgurlz. Another solid recruit Laughing

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 09/19/14 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very nice pickup, suprise she went to the west coast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: