RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Geno + Mo'ne = Trouble?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 09/03/14 10:08 pm    ::: Geno + Mo'ne = Trouble? Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Geno is meddling again. At least, SOMEone thinks he is. Razz

Too funny!

PostPosted: 09/03/14 10:26 pm    ::: Re: Geno + Mo'ne = Trouble? Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Too funny!

Geno meddling? What a strange interpretation of what happened. Most are pointing to the absurdity and pettiness of the complaint (it's not a violation btw). Leave it to some on this board to see this as wrongdoing on Geno's part.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/03/14 10:48 pm    ::: Re: Geno + Mo'ne = Trouble? Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
Howee wrote:

Too funny!

Geno meddling? What a strange interpretation of what happened. Most are pointing to the absurdity and pettiness of the complaint (it's not a violation btw). Leave it to some on this board to see this as wrongdoing on Geno's part.

Relax, Mrs. Auriemma....I only posted it because it IS absurd. Wink

PostPosted: 09/04/14 8:44 am    ::: Re: Geno + Mo'ne = Trouble? Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
Howee wrote:

Too funny!

Phillycat, how about being more accurate and less parochially defensive. The AD at an AAC school was the one "to see this as wrongdoing on Geno's part" -- so much so, that the school filed a formal recruiting violation complaint with the conference's NCAA compliance office. "Some on this board" simply posted a link to a published media article, which is clearly on topic and of interest.
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 09/04/14 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How did he get her number?

How come he didn't call the other girl that participated in the Little League World Series?

Did he talk to all her teammates as well?

Did he only call her because she specifically mentioned her dream of playing basketball at UConn?

Just a few questions that could possibly be asked.

Phil

PostPosted: 09/04/14 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another question worth asking : How petty do you have to be to whine about this obviously nice action? The early indications are that some can be incredibly petty. (edited)

Last edited by Phil on 09/04/14 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/04/14 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the phrase "digging way too deep" pop into your mind?

Please, Geno haters, you're just embarrassing yourselves ...

PostPosted: 09/04/14 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Other questions worth asking : How petty do you have to be to whine about this obviously nice action? The early indications are that some can be incredibly petty.

That was just one question.

But anyway, does Geno do this type of thing on a regular basis to all sorts of people? He very well could...but if he doesn't normally, then why did he decide to do it this time?

I don't know the answers to all these types of things and quite honestly, I really don't care.

linkster

PostPosted: 09/04/14 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eigth graders (or younger) can verbal to colleges without raising an eyebrow but a phone call gets national attention. Never mind that the ignoramus who filed the complaint never bothered to look up the actual rules.

Next I expect someone to complain that if a school gets some form of federal money, whether as a general grant or for research, they should be barred from getting congratulations at the white house if they win the NC. Illegal booster contact? Right? Laughing

Phil

PostPosted: 09/04/14 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

But anyway, does Geno do this type of thing on a regular basis to all sorts of people? He very well could...but if he doesn't normally, then why did he decide to do it this time?

I don't know the answers to all these types of things and quite honestly, I really don't care.

My experience is that when someone asks questions and declares they don't care about answers, it means they are deliberately pot stirring. I don't know whether that is the case here, but I cannot think of any other possibility. Can you? (Kudos for being willing to admit that you are not interested in the answers.)

ball4life

PostPosted: 09/04/14 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno should just go ahead and offer her, let her accept then tweet "checkmate"

mandih23

PostPosted: 09/04/14 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
How did he get her number?

How come he didn't call the other girl that participated in the Little League World Series?

Did he talk to all her teammates as well?

Did he only call her because she specifically mentioned her dream of playing basketball at UConn?

Just a few questions that could possibly be asked.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-geno-auriemma-mone-davis-0905-20140904,0,4244312.story

Quote:
Prior to her team's semifinal game against Nevada, which Davis started, Auriemma placed a call to the Little League's administrative office, on behalf of a request from the Philadelphia 76ers, to say hello.

Quote:
Moreso, the conversation between Auriemma and Davis was witnessed by those in the Little League's administrative office, where Davis was standing when the call came in. It was reported that nothing more than small talk took place between Davis and the Hall of Fame coach, who encouraged her to get a few hits.

Quote:
In addition, Davis' family, acutely aware of how accepting offers for books, etc., might eventually impact her collegiate eligibility, has been savvy enough to ask the right questions of the right people to find out what's permissible or not.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

PostPosted: 09/04/14 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lol. I clearly shouldn't have ventured into this thread as I really couldn't care less about this. It's really not an issue at all and no idea why it's getting so blown out of proportion.

I merely posed some questions that I could see people wondering about as it pertains to the situation.

But thank you for the article.

mandih23

PostPosted: 09/04/14 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Lol. I clearly shouldn't have ventured into this thread as I really couldn't care less about this. It's really not an issue at all and no idea why it's getting so blown out of proportion.

I merely posed some questions that I could see people wondering about as it pertains to the situation.

But thank you for the article.

Confused ... I wasn't being sarcastic in my response, I was being genuine in my response that I hoped it answered some of your questions...

PostPosted: 09/04/14 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They discussed this on Around the Horn. The panelists all thought it was ridiculous for the opposing coach to make a stink about it.

PostPosted: 09/04/14 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
They discussed this on Around the Horn. The panelists all thought it was ridiculous for the opposing coach to make a stink about it.

You actually watch that show?

Has there ever been an NCAA rules issue that those clowns didn't ridicule?

I can't decide which is sillier, that some coach would file a complaint, or the hysterical circle-the-wagons hyper-defensive overreaction by the UConn faithful.

Predictably, the Boneyard is shifting into full "blame Tennessee" mode.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/04/14 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sometimes

PostPosted: 09/04/14 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sometimes

Intersting. I watch a lot (too much actually) ESPN but I find that show to be unwatchable and totally devoid of useful information or commentary. How that show and First Take remain on the air escapes me. I never watch either one personaslly.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/04/14 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well maybe all the claims that this obviously was not a violation and the accusing coach should know better were premature.

"@CarlAdamec: NCAA says Geno Auriemma's phone call to Mo'ne Davis was a secondary rules violation, AD Manuel says"

Don't ask me to explain the rules. Still seems trivial.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/04/14 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Around the Horn is marginally entertaining ... they do have some writers there with a lot of knowledge and insight. (Still, I do feel like I'm slumming when I watch.)

PTI is the best of that genre.

PostPosted: 09/04/14 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently it was a violation.

"The NCAA has cited UConn for a secondary violation of rules after reviewing the circumstances surrounding Geno Auriemma's congratulatory phone call to Little League star Mo'ne Davis last month."

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-geno-auriemma-mone-davis-0905-20140904,0,4244312.story

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 09/04/14 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reductio ad absurdum. Idiots.

PostPosted: 09/04/14 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Altavilla has shared that the program is not from the ACC or the AAC.

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/04/14 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Sometimes

Intersting. I watch a lot (too much actually) ESPN but I find that show to be unwatchable and totally devoid of useful information or commentary. How that show and First Take remain on the air escapes me. I never watch either one personaslly.

First Take is basically a troll program. Have charismatic on-air personalities say stupid things and yell at each other for a little while and in the social media age, you've got a ratings machine. It's extremely effective at what it does but IMO it's nothing worth watching.

Same goes for Around the Horn, except there I get the feeling those people actually believe what they say. I, too, find it the most entertaining of ESPN's "debate" (term used very loosely) programs, but then I haven't watched any of them in years.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/04/14 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Absolutely ridiculous.

And shame on whatever school that did that. That phone call probably made Mo'ne's day. She made it known she was a fan. She might not be (actually probably won't be) good enough to play at Uconn anyway..but of course, Geno can't do anything nice.

Just asshole behavior on the part of the AD that called it in.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: