RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn Schedule
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 08/28/14 8:25 pm    ::: UConn Schedule Reply Reply with quote

Nov 17 at Stanford

Dec 6 at Notre Dame

Dec 19 Depaul

Dec 21 UCLA (MS)

Dec 29 Duke

Feb 9 S Carolina

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/conn/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/schedule/schedule.pdf

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

always impressive. good job UConn.

Of course they will have a bunch of sub-300s in there too, but at least they have some meat.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/29/14 12:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Of course they will have a bunch of sub-300s in there too, but at least they have some meat.

This doesn't show the Thanksgiving tournament, where they could have some potatoes.... the winner of Vandy vs Minny.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Phil

PostPosted: 08/29/14 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Who, for example, is sub 300?

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/29/14 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm the biggest UCONN fan ever, but half The American is sub-300's. I shutter to think what will happen to the UCONN WBB and athletics program as a whole if we stay in this shit conference forever.

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/29/14 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Phil wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I'm the biggest UCONN fan ever, but half The American is sub-300's. I shutter to think what will happen to the UCONN WBB and athletics program as a whole if we stay in this shit conference forever.

Now, bart, you're overstating it - they're only sub-200s.

I am no UConn fan (shocking, I know), but I sincerely hope the Huskies find their way into a better conference somehow.

Phil

PostPosted: 08/29/14 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's what I cam up with, using the RPIs at wbbstate.

I see <s>two</s>three teams (four games) just barely over 200. None close to 300. (Edited)

Am I missing something?

1 Cincinnati 130
2 Charleston 144 (corrected)
3 Creighton 64
4 DePaul 26
5 Duke  4
6 East Carolina 91
7 Houston 228 (corrected)
8 Memphis 173
9 Notre Dame  1
10 Southern Methodist 94
11 South Carolina  6
12 Saint John's 28
13 Stanford  3
14 Temple 98
15 Tulane 102
16 Tulsa 206
17 California-Davis 170
18 Central Florida 208
19 UCLA  85
20 South Florida 54

Last edited by Phil on 08/29/14 1:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/14 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know where your numbers came from, but Warren Nolan has Houston at 225 at the end of last year.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/29/14 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

I see two teams just barely over 200. None close to 300.

Am I missing something?

1 Cincinnati 130
2 Charleston 39
3 Creighton 64
4 DePaul 26
5 Duke  4
6 East Carolina 91
7 Houston 109
8 Memphis 173
9 Notre Dame  1
10 Southern Methodist 94
11 South Carolina  6
12 Saint John's 28
13 Stanford  3
14 Temple 98
15 Tulane 102
16 Tulsa 206
17 California-Davis 170
18 Central Florida 208
19 UCLA  85
20 South Florida 54

I see Charleston as 144th, not 36th, and Houston as 228th, not 109th, but your point remains valid. While the American is clearly a mid-major, there are no teams in the 300's on UConn's schedule, and that includes conference and OOC schedules. On that other hand, one of those >200 conference teams appears twice, raising the total of games against >200 teams to four: Tulsa x 2 (206th), UCF (208th) and Houston (228th). Still that's not that bad considering UConn also plays ND, S. Carolina, Stanford, Duke, etc. I've heard that ND starts off their regular season against UMass this year, who was ranked 311st last season after going 4-27.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/29/14 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[i
Quote:
]I'm the biggest UCONN fan ever, but half The American is sub-300's.
[/i]

Reductio ad absurdum

I'd like to know which conference offers UConn substantial competition? There are maybe 8 or so teams in the country right now that can play with CT. There are no more than 2 in any one conference. The only thing the rest of those fancy conferences offer is marquee value earned by their men's athletic teams.

And for the record those weak AAC teams are sub 100 as opposed to the "power 5" where they are sub 50. Big deal. Sure, beating Mich or Ala by 30+ may be more fun than beating SMU or Cen. Fla. by 35+ but what is the real difference?

Phil

PostPosted: 08/29/14 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Phil wrote:

I see two teams just barely over 200. None close to 300.

Am I missing something?

1 Cincinnati 130
2 Charleston 39
3 Creighton 64
4 DePaul 26
5 Duke  4
6 East Carolina 91
7 Houston 109
8 Memphis 173
9 Notre Dame  1
10 Southern Methodist 94
11 South Carolina  6
12 Saint John's 28
13 Stanford  3
14 Temple 98
15 Tulane 102
16 Tulsa 206
17 California-Davis 170
18 Central Florida 208
19 UCLA  85
20 South Florida 54

I see Charleston as 144th, not 36th, and Houston as 228th, not 109th, but your point remains valid. While the American is clearly a mid-major, there are no teams in the 300's on UConn's schedule, and that includes conference and OOC schedules. On that other hand, one of those >200 conference teams appears twice, raising the total of games against >200 teams to four: Tulsa x 2 (206th), UCF (208th) and Houston (228th). Still that's not that bad considering UConn also plays ND, S. Carolina, Stanford, Duke, etc. I've heard that ND starts off their regular season against UMass this year, who was ranked 311st last season after going 4-27.

Good catch. I'm reasonably Excel literate, but struggle with lookup. They never work well for me. The odd thing is, when I saw Charleston, I said to myself "really?" but didn't follow up.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/14 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
[i
Quote:
]I'm the biggest UCONN fan ever, but half The American is sub-300's.
[/i]

Reductio ad absurdum

I'd like to know which conference offers UConn substantial competition? There are maybe 8 or so teams in the country right now that can play with CT. There are no more than 2 in any one conference. The only thing the rest of those fancy conferences offer is marquee value earned by their men's athletic teams.

And for the record those weak AAC teams are sub 100 as opposed to the "power 5" where they are sub 50. Big deal. Sure, beating Mich or Ala by 30+ may be more fun than beating SMU or Cen. Fla. by 35+ but what is the real difference?

This has to be the silliest recurring theme anywhere. It reduces to "UConn is so invincible that there is absolutely no difference between playing number 4 Duke and number 346 Chicago State because neither one represents "substantial competition."

Some of your fellow UConn fans have pointed out the absurdity of this to you innumerable times.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard that ND starts off their regular season against UMass this year, who was ranked 311st last season after going 4-27.

As usual, ND has yet to put out its schedule. But it's not listed on UMass's website.

ND does this year play Harvard, Quinnipiac and Holy Cross in the Naismith Hall of Fame Challenge (## 70, 73 and 115). UConn played in that last year and faced Boston U, Monmouth, and St. Bonaventure (## 207, 284, and 59)

linkster

PostPosted: 08/29/14 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
It reduces to "UConn is so invincible that there is absolutely no difference between playing number 4 Duke and number 346 Chicago State because neither one represents "substantial competition."

Once again - Reductio ad absurdum

How about a January/Feb schedule of Boston College, Wake Forest, V. Tech, Pitt, Miami, Clemson? Toss in Virginia, Georgia Tech and Syracuse. I shiver at the thought of facing that list. LOL

Are these ACC members any more competitive against UConn than the admittedly weak AAC members? Hell, almost half the ACC are former BE teams so you can look back at their history vs UConn. UConn already plays Duke and ND. UNC got tired of being stomped and ended the series. So other than the 2 teams UConn already plays in the ACC I again ask, where's the beef? It's not a comparison of No 4 and 346. It's a comparison of No 125 and No 65.

A better question. Is Notre Dame's dominance bad for the ACC? They may well go undefeated again this year and perhaps next year. LOL

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/29/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:
It reduces to "UConn is so invincible that there is absolutely no difference between playing number 4 Duke and number 346 Chicago State because neither one represents "substantial competition."

How about a January/Feb schedule of Boston College, Wake Forest, V. Tech, Pitt, Miami, Clemson? Toss in Virginia, Georgia Tech and Syracuse. I shiver at the thought of facing that list. LOL

Just for the record, Syracuse was 25th in RPI last season, and using that metric, the only challenging games for UConn this season are Notre Dame, South Carolina, Duke, and Stanford (all top 24 in RPI). I believe the point is that while Syracuse is unlikely to defeat UConn, they certainly have a much better chance than Memphis does. Remember that UConn lost to a 10-loss St. John's team (at Gampel no less) just 2 seasons ago. Upsets happen, but the team has to be at least decent, and the vast majority of the AAC does not fall into that category. UConn's nonconference schedule is stellar, however.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/29/14 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:

Just for the record, Syracuse was 25th in RPI last season, and using that metric, the only challenging games for UConn this season are Notre Dame, South Carolina, Duke, and Stanford (all top 24 in RPI). I believe the point is that while Syracuse is unlikely to defeat UConn, they certainly have a much better chance than Memphis does. Remember that UConn lost to a 10-loss St. John's team (at Gampel no less) just 2 seasons ago. Upsets happen, but the team has to be at least decent, and the vast majority of the AAC does not fall into that category. UConn's nonconference schedule is stellar, however.

I remember Syracuse playing tough physical games against UConn. Hell one of their posts tried to trip Geno in the handshake line. LOL Yes, they would have a better shot than most of the AAC teams. But not a good shot.

My point is that while the AAC has a bunch of weak teams so do all other conferences. Just because a conference is a powerful football or men's BB conference is no reason to call them a power conference in wcbb. That conference doesn't exist.

Let's look at Notre Dame's regular season ACC MOV's from 13/14:

Clemson 20
BC 42
Virginia 7
Pitt 43
Miami 27
V Tech 26
Duke 21
Fl St 21
Syr 37
BC 21
G Tech 15
Wake F 25
Duke 11
UNC 25
NCSt 24
Fl St 26
NCSt 35
Duke 16

How about that RPI #25 Syracuse losing by 37. The halftime score was 61-28.

Out of 18 games Notre Dame won 14 by 20+ points. The exceptions were 2 Duke games, Virginia (???) and G Tech. Two games won by 40+ and two by30+. What is the threshold for a game to be uncompetitive? Any Notre Dame fans who want to say they turned all those games off once the result was obvious (halftime)?

The problem in wcbb is that the gap between the top 5 teams and those ranked even at 30-40 is huge compared to the men's game. Once you get to No.80 it's ridiculous. And singling out the AAC from the rest is just a bunch of sour grapes IMO.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/29/14 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but trying desperately to tear down every other conference doesn't make the AAC look any better. You can't put lipstick on a pig.

linkster

PostPosted: 08/29/14 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry, but trying desperately to tear down every other conference doesn't make the AAC look any better. You can't put lipstick on a pig.

True. I have clearly stated many times that I have no illusions as to the strength of the AAC. Weak, weak weak. But it's not me who is trying to put lipstick on a pig. It's those who ignore the facts about their own conferences.

I posted the Irish ACC MOV's from last year. Facts are facts.

And the appropriate aphorism is "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

chienboo

PostPosted: 08/29/14 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excuse ne for asking, but didn't both the MEN and womens BB champions come from the so called weak sister AAC? Confused Confused Confused Lets face it these UCONN haters will always find a reason to denegrade Uconn's accomplishments. The Big East was poo-pooed when it existed and pissed on by those who beleived the other conferences were so much better. What say you now that those old BE teams who joined these so called elete conferences are now dominating thier new confereences? Laughing Laughing Laughing UCONN and ND are heads above the rest. then there are a few who are a step below, then comes the rest of the world, conferences be damned..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/31/14 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All great teams will fall one day. It happens all the time in sports. UCONN is a great team now. Will they continue to be great team when Geno decides to retire?

PostPosted: 08/31/14 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
All great teams will fall one day. It happens all the time in sports. UCONN is a great team now. Will they continue to be great team when Geno decides to retire?

It's likely they will fall, just like Tenn and UCLA and all the dynasties in sport (and in the real world too).

Nothing lasts forever. Buy as long as UConn is riding the wave I'd rather enjoy it than being engaged in endlessly speculation about when and how it will end.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/01/14 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chienboo wrote:
Excuse ne for asking, but didn't both the MEN and womens BB champions come from the so called weak sister AAC? Confused Confused Confused Lets face it these UCONN haters will always find a reason to denegrade Uconn's accomplishments. The Big East was poo-pooed when it existed and pissed on by those who beleived the other conferences were so much better. What say you now that those old BE teams who joined these so called elete conferences are now dominating thier new confereences? Laughing Laughing Laughing UCONN and ND are heads above the rest. then there are a few who are a step below, then comes the rest of the world, conferences be damned..... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I'm not sure how you are getting that connection of both national champions coming from the same conference means the conference overall is not weak. One team does not make up an entire conference. There are 10 other teams that must be considered when determining the strength or weakness of the AAC. Just like with the Pac-12 you don't just say Stanford advanced to the Final Four so they are a strong conference, you have to also consider the other 11 teams to determine how strong or weak the Pac-12 Conference is.

chienboo

PostPosted: 09/02/14 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I clearly don't understand how some reader interpret what they are reading .
I never said that the AAC is stronger because both champions came from the same conference. That is your inference. What I was implying is that with all this conference musical chairs, nothing has changed.
The same teams are still winning. SO as stated ..... CONFERENCES BE DAMNED.....In the end it is still the same old, same old. Would you agree with that Question Question Question Question

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/02/14 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chienboo wrote:
I never said that the AAC is stronger because both champions came from the same conference. That is your inference. What I was implying is that with all this conference musical chairs, nothing has changed.
The same teams are still winning. SO as stated ..... CONFERENCES BE DAMNED.....In the end it is still the same old, same old. Would you agree with that Question Question Question Question

Aren't you a little premature with that conclusion.

These teams haven't even played a single game in the new conference configurations yet.

Give it a few years and then report back if it's still same ol' same ol'.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/03/14 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chienboo wrote:

I interpreted you calling the AAC "the so called weak sister AAC" as you saying the AAC was not weak because the two champions came from that conference. And to be honest what you say in this post is not something I was conclude from your other post.

As far as what you are saying here, I'm not sure how you could conclude a year after the move or the year of the move, the conference make up would make a difference. If say Stanford moved to the Big West, the first 2 years they would probably still be a top 25 team, and it wouldn't be a shock to see them go far in the NCAA tournament.

The effect of the conference changes, at least in my opinion, won't really be seen for 5-6 years. And even then with teams like Notre Dame going to the ACC and Connecticut still having the prestige in women's basketball it's not like it would be expected for those 2 teams would be expected to see a significant fall in production anytime soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: