RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maryland to guarantee scholarships
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/19/14 3:23 pm    ::: Maryland to guarantee scholarships Reply Reply with quote

http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29700&ATCLID=209611616

Quote:
Beginning in November of 2014-15, The Maryland Way Guarantee will provide all incoming student-athletes with a multi-year scholarship guarantee. Pursuant to this program, should a student-athlete exhaust his or her eligibility prior to graduating, Maryland will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation. If a student-athlete is injured and unable to compete, Maryland will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation.

Additionally, Maryland will provide tuition, books and fees for any student-athlete who leaves the institution in good academic standing and returns to complete his or her degree.

Other institutions have extended this guarantee to revenue sports including football and mens and womens basketball, but Maryland is one of the first to provide a lifetime degree guarantee for student-athletes in all sports....

Previously, Maryland student-athletes were offered one-year financial agreements, which were subject to renewal every year. In accordance with NCAA rules, scholarships can be canceled or reduced, for any reason at all, after the one-year agreement expires.

Terps putting some of that new B1G $$$ to good use!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/19/14 4:59 pm    ::: Re: Maryland to guarantee scholarships Reply Reply with quote

Wonderful move!

Almost enough to make me a Maryland fan.

auntie

PostPosted: 08/19/14 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is the like button?

PostPosted: 08/19/14 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

something long needed...I think a couple others started doing this but I don't remember who or I was dreaming.

PostPosted: 08/19/14 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The revenue from college football is paying for those scholarships. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/19/14 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Several Big 10 teams started doing this last year and I think Delaney wants to make it mandatory conference wide if they haven't already.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 08/20/14 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guaranteed 4-year scholarships have been offered already in the B1G, but up til now, only to football and, in some cases, some of the other "revenue" sports.

MD is the first to make this a lifetime guarantee to ALL of its scholarship athletes. Others will follow -- I hope.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/20/14 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
Guaranteed 4-year scholarships have been offered already in the B1G, but up til now, only to football and, in some cases, some of the other "revenue" sports.

MD is the first to make this a lifetime guarantee to ALL of its scholarship athletes. Others will follow -- I hope.

I don't think that's correct. As one example, here is IU's announcement - http://www.iuhoosiers.com/genrel/062714aab.html

Even Maryland itself in its pronouncements only claimed to be "one of the first", not THE first.

The statement signed by all Big 10 presidents back in June was not limited to revenue sports.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 08/20/14 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whatever, it's a terrific move. Cheers to all who made this decision.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/20/14 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Whatever, it's a terrific move. Cheers to all who made this decision.

It is. And the Big 10 is way out front on this. The PAC seems to be the next most active at least in saying it's headed in that direction. And the Big12 has been last in handing out 4 year scholarships and I have seen nothing from them expressing any interest in lifetime scholarships.

The Big10 has plainly been the leader. I assume Maryland's announcement is its response to the Big 10 president's statement since it's now a Big10 school.

BTW, they all know that under Title IX they could not possibly do this for only football and MBB. When they extend these benefits, it will be all or none. Which is why schools without the big football money will have a choice of not doing it at all, or chopping sports.

Oldfoxer

PostPosted: 08/20/14 8:17 pm    ::: Re: Maryland to guarantee scholarships Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:

Quote:
Beginning in November of 2014-15, The Maryland Way Guarantee will provide all incoming student-athletes with a multi-year scholarship guarantee. Pursuant to this program, should a student-athlete exhaust his or her eligibility prior to graduating, Maryland will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation. If a student-athlete is injured and unable to compete, Maryland will guarantee his or her aid will continue through graduation.

Additionally, Maryland will provide tuition, books and fees for any student-athlete who leaves the institution in good academic standing and returns to complete his or her degree.

Other institutions have extended this guarantee to revenue sports including football and mens and womens basketball, but Maryland is one of the first to provide a lifetime degree guarantee for student-athletes in all sports....

Previously, Maryland student-athletes were offered one-year financial agreements, which were subject to renewal every year. In accordance with NCAA rules, scholarships can be canceled or reduced, for any reason at all, after the one-year agreement expires.

Help me out. How is this costing them anymore money? You can still only have 15 players on scholarship at any one time. Correct? Not like you can run a kid off but keep paying her an athletic scholarship then restock your roster with a 16th scholarship player. Or am I missing something here?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/20/14 8:58 pm    ::: Re: Maryland to guarantee scholarships Reply Reply with quote

Oldfoxer wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Quote:

Help me out. How is this costing them anymore money? You can still only have 15 players on scholarship at any one time. Correct? Not like you can run a kid off but keep paying her an athletic scholarship then restock your roster with a 16th scholarship player. Or am I missing something here?

Players who have career ending injuries no longer count. Students who have used up their eligibility don't count. Students who quit for family or illness reasons don't count. People who return to school after playing pro ball don't count. There could be lots of additional scholarships that don't count against limits. This is primarily about scholarships for students who are no longer playing college sports for many different reasons, and since they're no longer playing and aren't ever going to play again, they don't count.

Oldfoxer

PostPosted: 08/20/14 10:02 pm    ::: Re: Maryland to guarantee scholarships Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfoxer wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Quote:

Players who have career ending injuries no longer count. Students who have used up their eligibility don't count. Students who quit for family or illness reasons don't count. People who return to school after playing pro ball don't count. There could be lots of additional scholarships that don't count against limits. This is primarily about scholarships for students who are no longer playing college sports for many different reasons, and since they're no longer playing and aren't ever going to play again, they don't count.

Got it. Thanks!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/20/14 10:50 pm    ::: Re: Maryland to guarantee scholarships Reply Reply with quote

Oldfoxer wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Oldfoxer wrote:
ripleydc wrote:

Quote:

Got it. Thanks!

BTW, your scenario is of course a risk. There have been situations in football over the years where a kid who wasn't ever going to get on the field ends up in the "career ending injury" status. Everyone's happy. The kid keeps a full scholarship, doesn't even have to practice, and the coach gets to recruit another player. Sure, it can be abused, but that's not a reason not to do it for all the players that deserve it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/21/14 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

I'd guess a good portion of the scholarships are paid for by donors.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/21/14 6:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Last I knew the John Purdue Club at Purdue took care of all the scholarships at Purdue. Whether that will still be the case with "lifetime scholarships" is another question.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/21/14 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Last I knew the John Purdue Club at Purdue took care of all the scholarships at Purdue. Whether that will still be the case with "lifetime scholarships" is another question.

Being unfamiliar with the John Purdue Club, are all their revenues from private donations?

PostPosted: 08/21/14 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Being unfamiliar with the John Purdue Club, are all their revenues from private donations?

Yes and no. In order to purchase some of the select, reserved seats at Ross-Aid Stadium and Mackey Arena, you have to include a donation to the JPC in addition to the seat cost. It is considered a donation. But they are a pretty active group that raises lots of money throughout the year.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/21/14 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Yes and no. In order to purchase some of the select, reserved seats at Ross-Aid Stadium and Mackey Arena, you have to include a donation to the JPC in addition to the seat cost. It is considered a donation. But they are a pretty active group that raises lots of money throughout the year.

Thank you.

PostPosted: 08/22/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The marginal cost for a scholarship -- that is, attending classes but not room and board -- is very low for colleges.

The room and board aspect is another story, but even in those cases, I would think the direct cost to a school for three years of support (assuming the player lasts one season) is less than $100,000. That's not chump change, granted, but in terms of the overall athletic department budget, it's not a backbreaker.

PostPosted: 08/22/14 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The marginal cost for a scholarship -- that is, attending classes but not room and board -- is very low for colleges.

The room and board aspect is another story, but even in those cases, I would think the direct cost to a school for three years of support (assuming the player lasts one season) is less than $100,000. That's not chump change, granted, but in terms of the overall athletic department budget, it's not a backbreaker.

I don't think schools think the marginal cost is "very low." In general that free spot is taking the place of a TR&B paying student. And in most places, the athletic department is required to pay the university those costs, and thus needs to raise that money somewhere, or cut other costs (as in, cut other sports).

If you have ten students at $50,000/year, that's a half million dollars - more than the total budget for some non-revenue sports. And considering that many large universities have more than 500 student athletes (I happen to see that number on Purdue's website), I think it's likely the number of "lifetime" non-playing students on scholarships could be well over 10 per year.

This notion that schools have millions in cash laying around is nonsense. MOST schools are already operating in the red already. The most likely effect of stipends, lifetime scholarships, more comprehensive health insurance, recruiting trips and game trips for parents, a million dollars here, a million dollars there, is that more non-revenue sports will get cut, and fewer free educations will be available for athletes. It's inevitable.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/22/14 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If you have ten students at $50,000/year, that's a half million dollars - more than the total budget for some non-revenue sports. And considering that many large universities have more than 500 student athletes (I happen to see that number on Purdue's website), I think it's likely the number of "lifetime" non-playing students on scholarships could be well over 10 per year.

FWIW, that is probably an underestimate of most large schools' athlete numbers. Purdue has one or if not the smallest athletic departments in the Big Ten. That is one of the reasons Purdue is consistently one of the only athletic departments to be self-sufficient and out of debt.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/22/14 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

If it's one person then yes it's not an issue, but when you add up all the student-athletes who have to return to school a 5th and/or 6th year, have career ending injuries, leave the team for personal reasons, etc., that adds up, if even if each team just has 1 person in each category that is 3 people per sport, and if a school has 20 sports that 60 people, and that is a low number considering many people take a 5th year to finish college, and football, men's and women's basketball offer double digit full scholarships, so it may be close to or over 100 scholarships or partial scholarships given out on any given year to people who are not participating in sports anymore.

BTW if these are life time scholarships, does it expire when they graduate with their bachelor's, or if they go to grad school at the same school does it carry over? That also does make a difference as well.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/22/14 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

BTW if these are life time scholarships, does it expire when they graduate with their bachelor's, or if they go to grad school at the same school does it carry over? That also does make a difference as well.

My understanding these are for finishing your undergraduate degree, not grad school.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/22/14 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's just four years, regardless of whether you graduate, but I'm sure there's some wiggle room.

And because it's just four years, the cost is lower. If a player lasts two years, the school is only the hook for two more years, etc.

Still, the point about not admitting a paying student is a good one ...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: