RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Baylor 2014 schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/17/14 9:02 am    ::: Baylor 2014 schedule Reply Reply with quote

11/04/14 vs. Midwestern State Waco, Texas TBA
11/10/14 vs. Tarleton State Waco, Texas TBA
11/14/14 vs. Oral Roberts Waco, Texas TBA
11/17/14 at Kentucky TV Lexington, KY 6:00 p.m. CT
BTI Classic
11/28/14 vs. Marist Waco, Texas TBA
11/29/14 vs. Stetson Waco, Texas TBA
11/30/14 vs. Utah State Waco, Texas TBA

12/03/14 vs. Texas-Pan American Waco, Texas TBA
12/07/14 at Ole Miss Oxford, Miss. TBA
12/10/14 vs. Idaho Waco, Texas TBA
12/14/14 vs. Stephen F. Austin Waco, Texas TBA
Florida Sunshine Tournament
12/19/14 vs. Syracuse Orlando, Fla. TBA
12/20/14 vs. Michigan State Orlando, Fla. TBA

12/29/14 vs. Prairie View A&M Waco, Texas TBA
01/03/15 vs. Oklahoma State * Waco, Texas TBA
01/06/15 at Kansas State * Manhattan, Kan. TBA
01/10/15 at West Virginia * Morgantown, W.V. TBA
01/13/15 vs. Iowa State * Waco, Texas TBA
01/17/15 at Kansas * Lawrence, Kan. TBA
01/19/15 vs. Texas * Waco, Texas TBA
01/24/15 vs. Kansas State * Waco, Texas TBA
01/27/15 at TCU * Fort Worth, Texas TBA
01/31/15 vs. Kansas * Waco, Texas TBA
02/04/15 at Oklahoma State * Stillwater, Okla. TBA
02/08/15 at Texas * Austin, Texas TBA
02/11/15 vs. Oklahoma * Waco, Texas TBA
02/15/15 vs. West Virginia * Waco, Texas TBA
02/18/15 at Texas Tech * Lubbock, Texas TBA
02/21/15 vs. TCU * Waco, Texas TBA
02/25/15 at Oklahoma * Norman, Okla. TBA
02/28/15 at Iowa State * Ames, Iowa TBA
03/02/15 vs. Texas Tech * Waco, Texas TBA
Big 12 Championships
03/06/15 TBA Dallas, Texas TBA
03/07/15 TBA Dallas, Texas TBA
03/08/15 TBA Dallas, Texas TBA
03/09/15 TBA Dallas, Texas TBA

Best OOC games will be at Kentucky and the Florida tournament matchups against 'Cuse and Michigan State (a rematch of the 2005 national title game competitors).

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/21/14 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

not impressed

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/21/14 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
not impressed

Baylor can not load up their non-conference schedule with a bunch of heavyweights. Griner and Sims are gone! Laughing

PostPosted: 08/21/14 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who is the 4th team in the Florida Sunshine tournament? Because Baylor, MSU, and Syracuse would make the best field I've yet seen for any of these preseason or holiday tourneys this season.

That tournament actually makes this a big improvement over what Kim put together last year against Ky and the ten dwarfs.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/21/14 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Who is the 4th team in the Florida Sunshine tournament? Because Baylor, MSU, and Syracuse would make the best field I've yet seen for any of these preseason or holiday tourneys this season.

That tournament actually makes this a big improvement over what Kim put together last year against Ky and the ten dwarfs.

Baylor's OOC schedule reduced in rigor significantly last season, but recall that Baylor played Connecticut last year. So I would consider this OOC schedule weaker, as Kentucky remains and MSU + Syracuse < UConn.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 08/22/14 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

There isn't one. It's a 3-team round robin with MSU and Syracuse playing on the 21st.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/23/14 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know some of you guys are not impressed with Baylor's schedule. But you have to keep in mind - it is Kim Mulkey herself!! She will rack the Ws as many in a short time. I noticed the pattern on Kim, whenever she got stronger players like Odyssey Sims, Sophia Young & Brittney Griner, Kim will make the schedule stronger. But if her roster are untested, Kim would switch to this pansy schedule just to rack the Ws for the time being. Why do you think she has 404-86 in 14 years?

R-

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/14 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I know some of you guys are not impressed with Baylor's schedule. But you have to keep in mind - it is Kim Mulkey herself!! She will rack the Ws as many in a short time. I noticed the pattern on Kim, whenever she got stronger players like Odyssey Sims, Sophia Young & Brittney Griner, Kim will make the schedule stronger. But if her roster are untested, Kim would switch to this pansy schedule just to rack the Ws for the time being. Why do you think she has 404-86 in 14 years?

R-

And that's what she should do, I think. If you have a stronger team, you play a stronger schedule. The idea is to get your team better, and you don't do that by getting pounded by superior teams. You need to win games while playing competitive games.

Losing games doesn't impress the selection committee, the AD, the alums or the fans.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ridor wrote:

R-

And that's what she should do, I think. If you have a stronger team, you play a stronger schedule. The idea is to get your team better, and you don't do that by getting pounded by superior teams. You need to win games while playing competitive games.

Losing games doesn't impress the selection committee, the AD, the alums or the fans.

Many fine coaches, Tom Izzo being a prime example, would disagree with that, and believe you best prepare your team by playing a rugged early schedule EVERY year.

Besides, if Baylor is so "weak" every year, why are they always ranked in the top 10 or 12? Nobody in the top 20 can use your excuse.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/14 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tom Izzo is a great coach with a very talented roster ...

Those coaches that don't come into each season in a strong position are better off, especially at the lower levels, mixing in confidence-building games with challenges (which vary according to team). Getting blown out all preseason will not help you in the long run, and I've never really believed that playing a certain kind of team in November will make any difference in March.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Tom Izzo is a great coach with a very talented roster ...

Those coaches that don't come into each season in a strong position are better off, especially at the lower levels, mixing in confidence-building games with challenges (which vary according to team). Getting blown out all preseason will not help you in the long run, and I've never really believed that playing a certain kind of team in November will make any difference in March.

Mulkey is a very good coach who always has a very talented roster as reflected by Baylor's high preseason ranking every year.

Baylor women will, without question, be ranked higher than MSU men preseason this year. She has no excuse.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/23/14 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

clayk, I'm not complaining about Kim Mulkey and her schedules at Baylor. All I'm just saying is that it is the way she operates. She learned it from Leon Barmore and used it with Baylor. If it works, stick with it. That's what she has been doing in the last 14 years. So each year, when I saw her schedule, it never disappointed me at all like it does to others. I guess it is because I know her style.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/24/14 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the "only excuse" is success ...

Scheduling is one of the most underrated aspects of coaching, and just like pretty much everything else, different styles and decisions can be successful.

I don't believe in having my team play tough opponents, lose a lot of games and then expect them to be in peak form when league starts. Some coaches do ...

Depending on my team, I schedule differently each year.

Tom Izzo is very successful scheduling his way; Kim Mulkey is very successful scheduling hers.

Is one style inherently "better/more virtuous" than the other?

PostPosted: 08/24/14 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
clayk, I'm not complaining about Kim Mulkey and her schedules at Baylor. All I'm just saying is that it is the way she operates. She learned it from Leon Barmore and used it with Baylor. If it works, stick with it. That's what she has been doing in the last 14 years. So each year, when I saw her schedule, it never disappointed me at all like it does to others. I guess it is because I know her style.

Early in her career, KM engaged in very clever OOC scheduling - lots of top teams in bad conferences - that both gave Baylor a better record and helped the team's RPI. It resulted in higher seeds and rankings, and also seemed to be emulated by other B12 teams.

As her teams have gotten better, she's done less of that (and far less cupcake scheduling than, say Sylvia Hatchell). She's quite good at the scheduling game.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 08/25/14 4:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It seems like a good way to see how KM really sees her team from season to season. Her sched this year kind of says 'the team is inexperienced but there is good talent and they will improve quickly'. They have no Odyssey to fall back on and she knows it.

I STILL CAN'T WATCH HER ON THE SIDELINES, BUT SHE DEFINITELY KNOWS WHAT SHE'S DOING.

PostPosted: 08/25/14 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with you on Kim being hard to watch (and not just because of her wardrobe) ...

It's amusing at one level but disturbing at another that when players screw up on court, Kim turns and reams out her assistants as if it's their fault.

PostPosted: 08/25/14 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I'm with you on Kim being hard to watch (and not just because of her wardrobe) ...

It's amusing at one level but disturbing at another that when players screw up on court, Kim turns and reams out her assistants as if it's their fault.

Well, maybe it is.maybe they're the ones tasked with whatever the particular thing is the kid screwed up. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/25/14 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Well, maybe it is.maybe they're the ones tasked with whatever the particular thing is the kid screwed up. Laughing

If a player makes a bad pass that can't be caught, that's probably not the coach's fault. She didn't make the pass ...

PostPosted: 08/25/14 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not a KM fan, but will admit that I enjoy watching her on the sidelines (and in press conferences) when things go wrong. That's probably bad for my karmic burden, but what can you do?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/25/14 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I am not a KM fan, but will admit that I enjoy watching her on the sidelines (and in press conferences) when things go wrong. That's probably bad for my karmic burden, but what can you do?

WCBB wouldn't be as fun, I agree.

Howee

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If a player makes a bad pass that can't be caught, that's probably not the coach's fault. She didn't make the pass ...

LOL!! I know what y'all are referring to, but I really think it's Kim turning to (anybody) and screaming things like, "What the hell was she thinking!", etc. I find her absolutely fascinating: she dresses like a high-salaried tart, talks with an almost trailer-trashy twang....and wins. A Lot. Laughing What's not to love! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: