RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Griner-Johnson engagement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 08/15/14 8:58 pm    ::: Griner-Johnson engagement Reply Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2164749-wnbas-brittney-griner-gets-engaged-to-former-vols-star-glory-johnson

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/15/14 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hearts all around!!!

But why does it have to read former Vols star!!

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/15/14 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you think that Kim will get an invite to the wedding?

PostPosted: 08/16/14 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:

The ceremony is going to take place at one of the many spiritual places on the campus of Baylor University. The exact one won't be publicly released as it would be an overflow crowd.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/16/14 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
hearts all around!!!

Why not?

PostPosted: 08/16/14 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

The ceremony is going to take place at one of the many spiritual places on the campus of Baylor University. The exact one won't be publicly released as it would be an overflow crowd.

Im assuming this is scarcasm....I can hold out hope since that would be a crowning moment of awesome if true

PostPosted: 08/16/14 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
hearts all around!!!

Why not?

It should be "Tulsa Shock star"

PostPosted: 08/16/14 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A two month romance? Hope it works out for the youngsters.

There is probably no one less informed than I about the protocols for same sex marriage. Who proposes to whom? Who offers the ring to whom? (The picture shows Griner offering to Johnson.) What's the rationale for who plays what role, assuming there are roles or role analogs?
beknighted

PostPosted: 08/16/14 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

There is probably no one less informed than I about the protocols for same sex marriage. Who proposes to whom? Who offers the ring to whom? (The picture shows Griner offering to Johnson.) What's the rationale for who plays what role, assuming there are roles or role analogs?

Straight guy here, so I could be wrong, but:

The one who wants to propose proposes to the other one. (Or, like a fair number of straight couples, it's not really a formal proposal so much as "Shouldn't we be getting married? Yes, we should.")

As for the rest, to the extent anyone wants to mimic the roles of straight people, I suspect that's already been figured out in the context of the relationship. And if they don't want to, then they don't.

newkid

PostPosted: 08/16/14 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Straight guy here, so I could be wrong, but:

The one who wants to propose proposes to the other one. (Or, like a fair number of straight couples, it's not really a formal proposal so much as "Shouldn't we be getting married? Yes, we should.")

As for the rest, to the extent anyone wants to mimic the roles of straight people, I suspect that's already been figured out in the context of the relationship. And if they don't want to, then they don't.

Yep. In some same sex relationships there is quite a bit of traditional role assignment. In others, some. In others, very little. Just the preferences of the parties.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/16/14 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how they work their relationship around the unique career demands of a professional female basketball player in the United States. THe WNBA season is short and entails a lot of travel. Then factor in the necessity for most of these players to play oversees. There is no off season.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/16/14 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BG just has this nonchalant way of busting down barriers, doesn't she? There is something about her, like a quality of transparency, that just brings things to the forefront,things that were always there, hinted at, but never acknowledged. As in being a lesbian athlete who is still active (indeed just beginning ) her professional career. There is a causualness about her and how she's experiencing her life and and sharing that with people either through social media, or other opportunities open to her XI for Nine.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/16/14 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
hearts all around!!!

Why not?

It should be "Tulsa Shock star"

But if it said that, it would make this a WNBA topic. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Rocky Top7

PostPosted: 08/17/14 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
BG just has this nonchalant way of busting down barriers, doesn't she? There is something about her, like a quality of transparency, that just brings things to the forefront,things that were always there, hinted at, but never acknowledged. As in being a lesbian athlete who is still active (indeed just beginning ) her professional career. There is a causualness about her and how she's experiencing her life and and sharing that with people either through social media, or other opportunities open to her XI for Nine.
I couldn't agree with you more and very well spoken

PostPosted: 08/17/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

I think that's one of the things I like about her. Old straight white female here who wishes Brittney and Glory nothing but the best. Incidentally, the news was front and center on one of the Knoxville TV stations, and the sky didn't fall.

PostPosted: 08/18/14 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's all lovie dovie until Glory hits her with a cheap "unintentional" elbow "accidentally". Then Brittany punches her.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/18/14 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
It's all lovie dovie until Glory hits her with a cheap "unintentional" elbow "accidentally". Then Brittany punches her.

Their kink is not my kink and that's okay.

(Also, I seem to recall the story being that Barncastle said a couple of things that I'm pretty sure Glory Johnson would be a hypocrite for saying to Brittney Griner.)

(now with spelling variations)
Howee

PostPosted: 08/19/14 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is probably no one less informed than I about the protocols for same sex marriage.
Probably not true....if you're already (traditionally) married, same-sex marriages are remarkably similar.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Who proposes to whom? Who offers the ring to whom? (The picture shows Griner offering to Johnson.)
Whomever wants to/is more motivated can do the proposing. Rings are optional. I'm with my husband for nearly 24 years now. We only got "married" in Oct. of 2012. I probably lobbied harder to actually get the deed done (he wanted to wait til our own state did it). We already had rings, years ago. As far as the first 'proposal' (to move in together), that was his idea.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
What's the rationale for who plays what role, assuming there are roles or role analogs?
Roles are for actors. Razz As you assimilate your lives, you just *do* what you gotta *do*. I enjoy cooking more, he enjoys cleaning more: but we can each do both things, if needed. Very Happy Romantically? As any couple, you find what works best for both. And with no gender stereotypes to dictate protocol, creativity is golden. Cool

Now....that's just one *take* on it all. Glory and Brit may have a more 'traditional' take on things: for example, they fit the classic "Butch"/"Femme" visual dynamic, and may be most comfortable with that.

PostPosted: 08/19/14 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee, thanks for your detailed reply. But since I know nothing about you personally, you've got me really confused. I can't tell if you are in a same sex marriage or what sex you are. If "he" is "husband" to you, what are you to him?

I'm in a heterosexual marriage, and I'm probably the person least able to understand it. So my confusion is universal, ecumenical and transsexual.
Howee

PostPosted: 08/19/14 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee, thanks for your detailed reply. But since I know nothing about you personally, you've got me really confused. I can't tell if you are in a same sex marriage or what sex you are. If "he" is "husband" to you, what are you to him?

I'm in a heterosexual marriage, and I'm probably the person least able to understand it. So my confusion is universal, ecumenical and transsexual.

I'd have thunk "Howee" was a dead giveaway-- Wink My gender is male. (In the latest vernacular, I'm "cis-male": born male and happy that way! Laughing )

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cis%20male&defid=4103182

Quote:
cis male

A non-transgendered male. A naturally-born man or boy whose psychological gender identity is socially male also.

Clarification: A cis male is not necessarily macho, or even of average masculine persona. A cis male might have some or many characteristics that are feminine, effeminate, or female-like, but unless he seeks to project a female persona, he is still a cis male.

Liberace's sequined robes and feather boas might remind us of a drag queen, but he was still a cis male.

Re: "husband"? We both refer to each other as our "Husband". Simple as that. In situations where neutrality is in order, I might say "spouse". Generally, with folks older than us (60+) I use "partner", but otherwise, it's "husband".

PostPosted: 09/08/14 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm gay. But this will still be a weird thing to see. I'm curious on see how Tulsa coaches telling Glory to keep an eye on her ... wife on the court?

R-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: