RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mitchell rounds out staff with former UConn star

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~UK~

PostPosted: 08/13/14 3:31 pm    ::: Mitchell rounds out staff with former UConn star Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky Coach Matthew Mitchell is hopeful that one of the nation’s most accurate shooters will be a can’t-miss hire, too.

Tamika Williams, a former standout at Connecticut and first-round WNBA Draft pick, will finish out Mitchell’s basketball staff, which replaced all three assistant coaches this off-season.

Williams, 34, finished her UConn career as the school’s all-time leader in field goal percentage at 70.3 percent, which also is a Division I record. She holds the Huskies’ top four single-season marks for field goal percentage.

“I have been a long-time admirer of Tamika Williams and her contributions to the game of basketball,” Mitchell said in a release on Wednesday. “To have the opportunity to work with her on a daily basis is extremely exciting for everyone associated with our program.”

http://ukwomen.bloginky.com/2014/08/13/mitchell-rounds-out-staff-with-former-uconn-star/

Phil

PostPosted: 08/13/14 7:46 pm    ::: My contribution Reply Reply with quote

I play an ever so tiny role in her record - what I do know is that she wasn't listed in the record books until I pointed it out. As to why she was missed, I have a speculation–she wasn't among th annual leaders because she didn't make the minimum number for each season, because she was sharing the ball with some decent players. However, the career minimum field goals made is 400 which she beat easily. My speculation is that they did not look at every players career stats, but looked at the annual leaders, on the reasonable assumption that the career leaders had to be on the short list for each annual year. However, she didn't qualify for the annual list, so I think she got missed when they made up the career list. Obviously, I didn't make a single shot, so I don't deserve much credit, and someone would have noticed eventually, but I'll take what I can get.

I play an ever so tiny role in her record - what I do know is that she wasn't listed in the record books until I pointed it out. As to why she was missed, I have a speculation–she wasn't among th annual leaders because she didn't make the minimum number for each season, because she was sharing the ball with some decent players. However, the career minimum field goals made is 400 which she beat easily. My speculation is that they did not look at every players career stats, but looked at the annual leaders, on the reasonable assumption that the career leaders had to be on the short list for each annual year. However, she didn't qualify for the annual list, so I think she got missed when they made up the career list. Obviously, I didn't make a single shot, so I don't deserve much credit, and someone would have noticed eventually, but I'll take what I can get.

However, back to the main point, congrats to Tamika on this step up.

(Why is she Tamika Williams, rather than Tamika Raymond)?

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/13/14 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is great news. She is my favorite player in Connecticut history, and it's great to see she is still involved in the game after taking some time off. And I also like that he picked her to help focus on the academic part for the team.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/14/14 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Jubilation" T. Williams was a key component in what Pat Summitt called the Swiss Watch that was UConn's 2002 TASS/D team. She was perhaps the greatest putback artist ever to play the women's high school and college games--and was also a great defender of centers, forwards and guards.

She also has an outgoing, optimistic and charismatic personality, personified by her "jubilation" cheer, which she shouted after UConn was presented the 2002 NC trophy.

This all probably translates into a very good recruiter and low post coach. For these reasons, I thought she might be the ideal candidate for assistant job at UConn when Jamelle Elliott left, but that didn't happen.

Good luck to her. She seems willing to move around, and should become a head coach in a few years if that's her goal.

For those who don't know the Al Capp reference:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_TfcJ82FAhw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: