RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn's OOC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/09/14 8:10 am    ::: UConn's OOC Reply Reply with quote

11/01/14 vs. West Chester #
11/09/14 vs. Post University #
11/14/14 at UC Davis Davis, Calif.
11/17/14 at Stanford TV Palo Alto, Calif. 9:00 p.m.
11/23/14 vs. Creighton
Gulf Coast Showcase
11/28/14 vs. College of Charleston TV Naples, Fla. 8:30 p.m.
11/29/14 TBD TV (Minny, ASU, Vandy, Wisky-GB, GT, 'Nova)
11/30/14 TBD TV Naples, Fla.

Jimmy V Classic
12/06/14 at Notre Dame TV South Bend, Ind. 3:15 p.m.

12/19/14 vs. DePaul
Hall of Fame Women's Challenge
12/21/14 vs. UCLA TV Uncasville, Conn. 5:00 p.m.

12/29/14 vs. Duke TV TBA
Maggie Dixon Classic
01/04/15 vs. St. John's Madison Square Garden, New York, N.Y. 1:00 p.m.

02/09/15 vs. South Carolina

Shades

PostPosted: 08/09/14 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Minnesota can get by Vanderbilt in the first round of the Gulf Coast Showcase, they'll likely collide with UConn. Woo hoo!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/09/14 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Combine this with UConn's AAC schedule, no matter what it is, and how many interesting home games will be played at Gampel/XL? Is the combined schedule likely to reverse the 10-year attendance decline?
beknighted

PostPosted: 08/09/14 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Combine this with UConn's AAC schedule, no matter what it is, and how many interesting home games will be played at Gampel/XL? Is the combined schedule likely to reverse the 10-year attendance decline?

If I read this right, South Carolina, Duke, DePaul plus UCLA at Uncasville (which I guess technically isn't home). It's not awful by any means.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/09/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

If I read this right, South Carolina, Duke, DePaul plus UCLA at Uncasville (which I guess technically isn't home). It's not awful by any means.

Overall, UConn's OOC schedule is certainly strong. While there are marquee home games OOC, the season tickets would primarily be conference games that could never be competitive. I believe that the game in Uncasville is not in either season ticket package, as they sell the Gampel and Hartford (XL Center) packages separately. As of now, they have not released which games would be in Gampel and which would be in Hartford, so you're not sure what you're getting. UConn also charges a fair amount for their season tickets, so it isn't like one would want to buy the packages just for the games against South Carolina, Duke, DePaul, and perhaps South Florida.

As a side note, I think it's a little weird to consider the Mohegan Sun a neutral site game (as it's likely to have considerably more UConn than UCLA fans).

linkster

PostPosted: 08/09/14 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Overall, UConn's OOC schedule is certainly strong. While there are marquee home games OOC, the season tickets would primarily be conference games that could never be competitive. I believe that the game in Uncasville is not in either season ticket package, as they sell the Gampel and Hartford (XL Center) packages separately. As of now, they have not released which games would be in Gampel and which would be in Hartford, so you're not sure what you're getting. UConn also charges a fair amount for their season tickets, so it isn't like one would want to buy the packages just for the games against South Carolina, Duke, DePaul, and perhaps South Florida.

As a side note, I think it's a little weird to consider the Mohegan Sun a neutral site game (as it's likely to have considerably more UConn than UCLA fans).

UConn has played fewer games at the XL lately. They have to share the money with Hartford and unless they can draw a lot more than the 10K at Gampel it's not economically advantageous. I really don't think the opponents matter much to the fans unless it's Notre Dame (other than Cth). Hell, the UConn crowd gets nervous whenever the lead slips under 20. The UConn games have become a lot like a Globetrotter game in that the fans come to see one team perform. Next year they'll need to have multiple defibrillators at the home games against Notre Dame and S Carolina. LOL

The Sun Arena could replace the XL in the future.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/09/14 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

UConn has played fewer games at the XL lately. They have to share the money with Hartford and unless they can draw a lot more than the 10K at Gampel it's not economically advantageous. I really don't think the opponents matter much to the fans unless it's Notre Dame (other than Cth). Hell, the UConn crowd gets nervous whenever the lead slips under 20. The UConn games have become a lot like a Globetrotter game in that the fans come to see one team perform. Next year they'll need to have multiple defibrillators at the home games against Notre Dame and S Carolina. LOL

I think the South Carolina game is THIS season. You may be thinking about Stanford (it's a home game next season).

linkster

PostPosted: 08/09/14 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the South Carolina game is THIS season. You may be thinking about Stanford (it's a home game next season).[/quote]

Yeah. I originally thought they were playing at SC this year. I don't see SC winning at CT this year. Guess it will be up to the Irish to send the Husky fans home crying next year.

Any talk of Notre Dame playing SC in the future?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/09/14 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I think the South Carolina game is THIS season. You may be thinking about Stanford (it's a home game next season).

When it was first announced, it was tentatively scheduled for South Carolina, from all indications it is in Connecticut. Hoping for Hartford. There was some controversy this year as games are being moved out of Hartford to other locals in the State namely Uncasville and Bridgeport. The XL Center is undergoing a face lift but no where near the renovations that is required to bring it into the 21th century particularly the surrounding venues and shops.

BTW, Arti went to Blackie's and Frankie's (the original place) this week. Didn't hold the relish at Blackie's.
To Jimmie's next for the trifecta.

PostPosted: 08/09/14 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To Oldfan: I haven't had a Blackie's hotdog for many years, but that brings back fond memories. Nice spicy relish!

To linkster: Without a 'Hoard' to report things, we are very much in the dark until ND officially releases the schedule, so we probably won't know about this year's schedule for at least another month, which makes knowledge of next year's schedule 13 months away or so (unless it's leaked through the S. Carolina press).

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/09/14 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Horde.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/10/14 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops. Good call. They certainly don't hoard the information.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 08/10/14 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn players could put up some gaudy stats against what is a schedule with about five interesting games on it.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/10/14 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
UConn players could put up some gaudy stats against what is a schedule with about five interesting games on it.

TRUE! Most of UCONN games this year are going to a borefest. Not worthy of Prime Time. It will be hard to gauge how good this team is this season because their schedule is weak. Their Notre Dame and South Carolina games will be dissected using an electron microscope by the media trying to figure out if this team has what it takes to go all the way.

PostPosted: 08/10/14 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am contractually obligated to point out that St. John's did beat UConn that one time at Gampel and therefore on our home floor anything is possible oh sweet baby Jesus who am I kidding it's not even going to be a home court advantage and if there isn't a second game even I will want to find somewhere else to be.

(now with spelling variations)
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/10/14 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

TRUE! Most of UCONN games this year are going to a borefest. Not worthy of Prime Time. It will be hard to gauge how good this team is this season because their schedule is weak. Their Notre Dame and South Carolina games will be dissected using an electron microscope by the media trying to figure out if this team has what it takes to go all the way.

Really only the S. Car game will tell us much of anything (about both teams) because it's Feb 9. The ND game is too early in the season to be a reliable indicator of where the teams will be in April.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/11/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

Really only the S. Car game will tell us much of anything (about both teams) because it's Feb 9. The ND game is too early in the season to be a reliable indicator of where the teams will be in April.

UCONN and Tennessee need to get over their funk and start to play games against each other again. They are doing a disservice to women's basketball by maintaining this feud. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 08/11/14 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

A borefest if all you enjoy is a close score. A bore if you hate crisp passing, excellent shooting and a high level of energy for 40 minutes. In that case there will be thousands of 51-49 games again this year in wcbb, where there will be 60 ft's attempted 50 TO's and the teams will combine for 28% shooting. Enjoy. I'm still waiting for a team not named Notre Dame to lift their efficiency to UConn's level. I'm hopeful that SC will. Until others do I'll be satisfied to watch a lot of games where only one team knows how to play entertaining BB. IMO that's better than watching 2 bad teams play bad basketball.

And whether or not UConn "has what it takes" I can assure you that the media will not need or use a microscope. They will declare it a fact before UConn plays a minute of their first exhibition game. Hell, by Labor Day they will be telling us who will win the Super Bowl in '15.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/11/14 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are reading my post the wrong way. I am not saying that UCONN is a boring team to watch. NEVER! They have maintained a level of greatness for a long time. What makes a good sporting event is the drama from two competing parties that are nearly equal in talent and intelligence. UCONN's team will be far greater this season than most of the teams they play. That makes for a boring contest. I like watching UCONN play when they are matched up against strong competition. Their games are not fun to watch when they are playing against cupcake competition.

PostPosted: 08/11/14 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When there are more elite recruits to spread around to different teams, the games will be more entertaining and UConn won't dominate in the same way.

Phil

PostPosted: 08/11/14 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

UCONN and Tennessee need to get over their funk and start to play games against each other again. They are doing a disservice to women's basketball by maintaining this feud. Rolling Eyes

"their" and "They" leave the impression that both are at fault. Even if Tennessee has persuaded itself that they are the wronged party, they are the only ones preventing the series from continuing. Only one party is doing the disservice.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/11/14 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have an interesting disconnect.

The seemingly unanimous verdict in the FibaAmericas thread is that those games were boring and unwatchable because of the gross mismatch in talent and the resultant blowout scores.

But at least one person in this thread thinks that equally bad mismatches in talent between UConn and its AAC conference mates will make for stimulating, entertaining, viewing because it's great to watch a bunch of skilled players pound shorter, mismatched opponents into oblivion.

Hmmmmm.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/11/14 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

crisp passing, excellent shooting and a high level of energy for 40 minutes.

I'll be satisfied to watch a lot of games where only one team knows how to play entertaining BB.

Okay, linkster, you're an uber-fan of "UConn basketball". Many of us will watch one-sided contests, like the U18 Games, for free on the tube or 'puter. Now be an honest uber-fan. How many of the UConn home games will you actually pay to see in person?
linkster

PostPosted: 08/11/14 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
You are reading my post the wrong way. I am not saying that UCONN is a boring team to watch. NEVER! They have maintained a level of greatness for a long time. What makes a good sporting event is the drama from two competing parties that are nearly equal in talent and intelligence. UCONN's team will be far greater this season than most of the teams they play. That makes for a boring contest. I like watching UCONN play when they are matched up against strong competition. Their games are not fun to watch when they are playing against cupcake competition.

I think I understand your POV. I just don't agree that enjoyment of basketball requires a close game. I put on a lot of close games last year and tuned them off after seeing 4 or 5 missed layups in a row with a pile of turnovers mixed in. IMO most wcbb games are unwatchable unless you root for one of the teams. Players don't have to be elite level to learn how to set a screen or pass to a teammate or play defense without using their hands. And yet most wcbb games are filled with fundamental incompetence that I find unwatchable.

I remember watching Wooden's UCLA when I was young. I would put on game after game hoping for a UCLA loss and time after time I turned the game off late when it was obvious UCLA would win. In fact I remember watching Austin Carr drop 52 on Wicks & Rowe in 70 or 71, ending UCLA's long standing home winning streak and thinking it was one of the best games I ever watched. I thought it was great because I wanted UCLA to lose. It used to frustrate me that for over a decade other teams always played bad against the Bruins who always seemed to get the calls. LOL

I see a lot of similar attitudes on these boards with respect to UConn. (not referring to any one poster) Many turn on UConn games hoping to see them lose, or at least to have to sweat out a win. When UConn opens up a big lead at halftime those viewers turn off the game and declare it a bore, just like I used to do with the Bruins. IMO it's not that game is boring but rather that the desired expectations of the viewers are not being met.

The Globetrotters have been drawing crowds to one-sided games for over 60 years. People come to watch even when only one team is playing at a high level. They enjoy the game because they aren't looking for the Generals to win, they are there to watch the Globetrotters. UConn fans have come to expect blowouts and take enjoyment from the way UConn goes about it. In fact close games scare the crap out of many UConn fans.

Watching UConn is a lot like watching a Bruce Lee action movie. We know the good guys will win and yet we find Bruce's victories very entertaining. (unless we are big Kareem fans)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/11/14 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

The Globetrotters have been drawing crowds to one-sided games for over 60 years. People come to watch even when only one team is playing at a high level.

You didn't really compare UConn WBB to the Globetrotters did you?

There is no Globetrotters "game". It's a clown show, a comedy act, mostly scripted, part improv. There is no "game", there's no rules, no one is "playing" anything, there's no competition, there's no winner or loser. It's an act. A comedy act. A stage show. They do the same show night after night.

They draw crowds the same way that Steve Martin or Tina Fey or Stephen Fry draw crowds. People go to laugh and watch the clowns.

And I don't think too many people pay to go to see the same comedy act - Globetrotters or anyone else - twenty times in a six month window. Seen it once? Been there, done that, maybe go back in five or ten years.

But if you want to consider UConn basketball a clown act rather than an athletic competition, well I guess that's your choice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: