RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014 u18s America
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/06/14 4:06 pm    ::: 2014 u18s America Reply Reply with quote

Fiba is youtube casting the games. USA plays Mexico today at 6 PM Mountain Time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FIBAWorld

Schedule (all times are Mountain schedule)

http://archive.usab.com/womens/u18/schedule.html

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/06/14 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought I'd test it out ahead of time. The Canada - El Salvador game is on now. (Canada is up 46-23).

Anyhow, if you are having trouble getting it to play on an Android mobile device, I found that it plays well opening Youtube in a browser window using Chrome. I couldn't get it to play either in the YouTube Android app, or in a couple of other browsers (like Dolphin).

Seems to work just fine on a PC using IE or Chrome or Kylo, or, I presume but did not try, most other browsers.

Freddie Brooks

PostPosted: 08/06/14 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I thought I'd test it out ahead of time. The Canada - El Salvador game is on now. (Canada is up 46-23).

Anyhow, if you are having trouble getting it to play on an Android mobile device, I found that it plays well opening Youtube in a browser window using Chrome. I couldn't get it to play either in the YouTube Android app, or in a couple of other browsers (like Dolphin).

Seems to work just fine on a PC using IE or Chrome or Kylo, or, I presume but did not try, most other browsers.

Are you able to get sound?

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 08/06/14 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No sound for me .

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/06/14 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No sound yet.

USA up by 20+ at the half. They've made more baskets than Mexico has taken. It's feed the post with Bri Turner tallying 14, Jessica Shepherd 10, and Aja Wilson 9.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/06/14 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paris Kea (vandy) is handling the point pretty well. ALso that Destinee Walker kid is pretty solid...she gets her shot off in any crowd. The bigs continue to dominate: Shepherd, Turner, not as much of WIlson but more of Momprier this half.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/06/14 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

104-55.

Shepherd and Turner each with 16.
Wilson with 15.
Collier and Walker with 10.

USA shot 63% from the field.

0-10 from beyond the arc and some of them werent close to going in.

MExico was 11-27 from beyond the arc and they hit only 8 2 point shots.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/06/14 8:36 pm    ::: Yep Reply Reply with quote

Terrible at shooting the 3 and defending it Shocked

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/06/14 9:50 pm    ::: Re: Yep Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Terrible at shooting the 3 and defending it Shocked

0 for 10 by the US.

Not sure the defense was that bad. Mexico was just heaving them up from somewhere in Utah. They made 11 but they shot 27 3s. It was most of their offense considering that they were only 8 of 36 from inside the arc.

As to sound, I got a little blast of crowd noise for about 10 seconds during the halftime. That was the only sound I got.

I didn't have any sound when I was watching some of the Canada - El Salvador game either

Hope they get that fixed.

Could anybody identify any coaches that were in the stands watching?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/06/14 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reserving the right to change my mind about anything because this was only one game against midget Menehunes and Lilliputian leprechauns, none of whom was over 5-11, I think A'ja Wilson and Brianna Turner can be All-Americans as sophomores.

The U18 USA bigs were so offensively aggressive and impressive. Those U17 bigs, Cox and Mulkey, seem soft offensively by comparison.

The biggest surprise to me was 6-4 Jessica Shepard, about whom I knew nothing. Great offensive shooting aggression, which didn't seem to carry over to defensive rebounding, however, and one really nice fast break pass. She looked like a bigger and stronger young Natalie Achonwa, who might have contended for AA status at a high profile school like UConn or Notre Dame.

None of the USA guards impressed me offensively, though they got a lot of fast break and uncontested layups.

None of the USA players showed even a mid-range jump shot, much less a three-point shot. However, I know Wilson has a shot from other games I've seen.

This is a very interesting, big-oriented, power and speed team coached by Staley, who should have an uber-powerhouse front court for a long time on the Congaree with Coates, White and Wilson.

Box

Video highlights
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 08/07/14 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Destinee Walker made one pretty close to the three-point line in the first half , and she had a nice pull-up jumper from about 12 feet on the baseline in the second half . I was trying to watch Walker and Mompremier since they still have South Carolina on their list . I liked Mompremier too, but she still has about a dozen schools listed .
I agree on Shepard . She's more than just a big body . She's a basketball player . The big 6-7 girl from Texas played the fewest minutes of anyone and wasn't much of a factor .

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/07/14 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even bigger blowout in game 2. USA 118 - El Salvador 50.

Dawn gave a majority of the minutes to the bench.

Guards played much better, at least Walker, Atkins and Mabrey.

Walker can really shoot: 7-9 total, 4-4 on 3s.

US shot 68% as a team. 11 steals by the US.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/07/14 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Even bigger blowout in game 2. USA 118 - El Salvador 50.

Dawn gave a majority of the minutes to the bench.

Guards played much better, at least Walker, Atkins and Mabrey.

Walker can really shoot: 7-9 total, 4-4 on 3s.

US shot 68% as a team. 11 steals by the US.

Walker is an excellent shooter. You could tell the US perimeter shooters were holding themselves back, as the players from El Salvador were letting them shoot uncontested threes all night. Our shooters kept hesitating and then passing the ball (most of the time).

US bigs shot very well again and dominated the boards. Collier had 12 boards (5 offensive) in 16 minutes. Shepard 8/9, Wilson 6/7, Turner 5/6, Collier 6/9, Mompremier 5/9 all shot well, but they were so much taller than their opposition.

Mompremier has excellent athleticism, but not a lot of range on her shot and she needs softer hands. She looks like the tallest player besides McCowan (who looks huge, muscular and tall, but seemingly cannot play basketball very well.)

USA actually lost the 4th quarter by quite a bit (21-13); it looked like they lost interest. They led 105-29 after 3 quarters but won 118-50.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/08/14 10:43 am    ::: No competition Reply Reply with quote

It's just practice as Iverson would say. Putting up shots with no one guarding you, you should be making shots. Difficult to even watch.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/08/14 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another boring mismatch, but good preparation for watching UConn in the AAC. The El Salvador team had less skill and height than the girls in my 7th grade Audubon club.

This U18 team has talent but it's hard to judge. The vast majority of shots are layups. There is no empirical evidence from the first two games that Wilson, Turner, Collier, Shepard, Mompremier, McCowan or even the guard Atkins has a shot outside of four feet. (Collier did hit a three that got waived off.)

Walker and Mabrey hit catch and shoot threes, though Mabrey's shot is more like a set shot. Her vertical isn't more than an inch.

Let's have some competition, please. And the attendance at the USOTC is pathetic. The Euros pull more fannies at their obscure tournaments in Transylvania's Carpathian Mountains.

Box

Jessica Shepard
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/08/14 1:24 pm    ::: Too true Reply Reply with quote

Even the passes to the bigs are pretty bad, the bigs actually have to lean over the short opponents to get the ball, that's how poor the comp is, they can't even steal when the ball is thrown to them.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/08/14 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did you notice that ESPN is broadcasting the US's U17 men's games from Dubai on ESPN 3, complete great HD picture quality online and with real announcers?

US vs Greece is on right now.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/08/14 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USA Basketball should be ashamed that the games are streamed but not announced. They could simply put anyone, literally anyone, from their staff in front of that open microphone to do some simple play-by-play announcing.

On a more positive note, I can't off-hand recall a better USAB coaching staff, below the Senior National Team, than Staley, Walz and Barnes-Arico.

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 08/08/14 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/08/14 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Women's basketball won't grow unless and until ESPN takes it seriously.

ESPN is the elephant with respect to sports these days, and as long as ESPN mostly ignores women's and girl's basketball, so will the general populace.

Really, it wouldn't take much for them to slap it on ESPN3. The broadcast infrastructure exists. The games are in in Colorado Springs; it's not like they would have travel costs.

They're televising the Little League World Series on ESPN. They're showing horrific small time boxing matches on ESPN3, and "Big League Softball" on ESPNU. They've been televising boy's high school basketball tournaments all summer.

But they ignore the girls.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/08/14 7:29 pm    ::: Oh Canada Reply Reply with quote

Oops double post

Last edited by Nixtreefan on 08/08/14 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/08/14 7:30 pm    ::: Oh Canada Reply Reply with quote

Well that first half was ugly, so much for the bigs and Canada's not that tall. The ball has fallen nicely into Colliers hands but she has given up 4 3s and an and 1 back door as her defensive concepts are not there. Aja who, seems to me the 2015 class is superior to the 2014. Mabrey has the ND flop already, sorry couldn't help myself.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/08/14 7:57 pm    ::: Hmmmm Reply Reply with quote

Is it just me......

Staley puts in Turner who helps USA push up the lead to seal the win but takes her out and let's Aja come in for garbage points.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 08/08/14 8:25 pm    ::: Re: Hmmmm Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Is it just me......

Staley puts in Turner who helps USA push up the lead to seal the win but takes her out and let's Aja come in for garbage points.

I missed a bunch of the game because a thunderstorm knocked my PC off . Saw the last ten minutes or so and Wilson wasn't in at all . According to the stats she played about 12 minutes .

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/08/14 8:26 pm    ::: Comparisons Reply Reply with quote

U18 defense is pretty bad, on guarding perimeter drives and 3s. For example blow bys on Collier, Mabrey, Caldwell etc and the help D is lacking. Canada's Carleton, known as their best 3 point shooter, was held to 7 pts by the U17s, she had 19 pts against the U18s.

If it's any consolation Canada's D was even worse and whoever was guarding Collier should be benched as not once did they box her out and gave up wide open lay ups.

Wilson was in foul trouble but of her own doing, 1 was a technical, but it's not like Staley needed to save her.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/08/14 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FIBA Americas is so one-sided it's barely basketball. First two games were a combined 232-105 ... who's going to watch that? And then Canada, the second best team, 107-76.

Now if the world championships are in Colorado Springs, I'm with you, but this is the varsity scrimmaging against the JVs.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: