RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A new season of: Coaches on the Hot Seat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/06/14 3:58 pm    ::: A new season of: Coaches on the Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

Starting the list early with.....

JoAnne Boyle:
2011-12: 25-11(9-7 ACC) WNIT
2012-13: 16-14(8-10) No Post season
2013-14: 14-17(6-10) No post season

dfineguy

PostPosted: 08/06/14 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She needs to bring in stronger assistants. She has old friends from Richmond and years 1 and 2 at Cal. Not ACC level I'm afraid. Replace at least 2 before it's too late. The clock is ticking...

PostPosted: 08/06/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nia Butts - Arizona Wildcats

Hot Seat?? More like the Electric Chair. Only a pardon from the NCAA in March can save this convicted Head Coach!

PostPosted: 08/06/14 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMHO, Nikki Caldwell at LSU SHOULD be on the hot seat. Her 2 Sweet Sixteens the last 2 years were flukes that happened at home.

This year's team won't come anywhere close to that, because you have to be IN the tourney to do that. I just don't see that happening. She lost the last of Van's girls this year and

She has brought in 2 ranked players in 3 years. If she doesn't AT LEAST land Kalani Brown (which should have happened by now if we had a real shot) and a couple of other quality bigs, we are literally going to start sucking in a big way.

I've said it before---if she doesn't land a decent class this year, let her go and spend the $700K on something more productive.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 08/06/14 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bobbie Kelsey - Wisconsin
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

She's had some injuries to deal with but as far as I know the team is healthy for this season. I like to give coaches 5 years, but if she doesn't make some noise in a deep B1G her seat may warm earlier.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/06/14 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All good Except Caldwell...You don't give up that quickly not with 2 sweet 16s in a row.

Not really seeing a big turnover this year...tho there have been later and later turnover recently so you never know.

PostPosted: 08/06/14 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd also submit June Daughtery but she's coming off an historic year where the Cougs went 9-9 in the Pac. Withthe upgrades going onn in the conference at the Oregon schools she might be hardpressed to keep that record.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 08/06/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

She's had some injuries to deal with but as far as I know the team is healthy for this season. I like to give coaches 5 years, but if she doesn't make some noise in a deep B1G her seat may warm earlier.

Kelsey got an extension in April to 2019!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/06/14 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
All good Except Caldwell...You don't give up that quickly not with 2 sweet 16s in a row.

She's not recruiting though either. Some ADs pay attention to that rather than just focusing on record (since it indicates things are not on an upward trajectory) and some don't. If she was landing a lot of young talent, then she should get more time. But if she doesn't land Brown, the prospects look rather bleak. Especially with Tenn, Ky, S.Car, aTm, Arkansas all looking better.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 08/06/14 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

Kelsey got an extension in April to 2019!

omg Shocked well, good for everyone else I guess. ha!

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 08/08/14 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that contracts are everything, but definitely still usually hold something especially if not in a position in terms of money. Here is a look at those mentioned thus far. No one in a contract year that I've found.

Boyle - Contract through 2015-16
Butts - Contract through 2015-16
Caldwell - Contract through 2015-16
Kelsey - Contract through 2018-19 - Extended recently
Daugherty - Contract through 2018-19 - Extended recently

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/08/14 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

The difference between the men's and women's game, in a nutshell.

Do you think the men's coach at Wisconsin, or any other Big 5 school, would be extended with that kind of record?

As long as there are no scandals and the players graduate, performance on the court is not nearly the issue it is on the men's side. Which means that the quality of coaching on the women's side will simply not be as good because the urgency to win games is not there.

PostPosted: 08/08/14 11:31 am    ::: Name from C-USA Reply Reply with quote

Plenty of coaches in C-USA are still in their first 2-3 years. But one underperforming program is helmed by a 10-year veteran.

Greg Williams at Rice hasn't had a winning season since 2010-11 with progressively fewer wins each season. With the departure of 4-time All Conference 1st teamer Jessica Kuster who averaged 20.9/13.3 the Owls will likely struggle this year. They don't return a single player who averaged 8 pts or 7 rebounds and C-USA will probably be stronger this year.

The "good" thing for Williams is that Rice only averaged 429 fans per game. So clearly their WBB program isn't a top priority to fans or the administration. So maybe he gets to coast on.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 08/08/14 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

Do you think the men's coach at Wisconsin, or any other Big 5 school, would be extended with that kind of record?

As long as there are no scandals and the players graduate, performance on the court is not nearly the issue it is on the men's side. Which means that the quality of coaching on the women's side will simply not be as good because the urgency to win games is not there.

I prefer to see it as "the quality of coaching on the women's side will be very different because the urgency to merely win games at all costs is not there."

Sounds like a good thing!

PostPosted: 08/08/14 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

I prefer to see it as "the quality of coaching on the women's side will be very different because the urgency to merely win games at all costs is not there."

Sounds like a good thing!

You might prefer that spin, but the truth is much closer to "athletic directors and school presidents just don't care about the women's team."

It has nothing to do with "winning at all costs." They aren't saving money or avoiding corruption by saying "mediocrity is good enough for the girls". There's no upside or benefit to it. They ought to be demanding excellence in their women's programs just like they do in the men's.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 08/08/14 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This thread is heading into the fundamental question of the function of intercollegiate athletics vs. professional regional competition. Our student athletes are not soldiers on the battlefield. They are competitors learning the meaning of effort and reward, success and pride. Leave the life and death battles to the military and the justice system, not higher education.

Just my opinion. But the issues here are not survival. They are effort and reward with dignity.

And now I will vacate my pulpit. Wink

PostPosted: 08/08/14 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
This thread is heading into the fundamental question of the function of intercollegiate athletics vs. professional regional competition. Our student athletes are not soldiers on the battlefield. They are competitors learning the meaning of effort and reward, success and pride. Leave the life and death battles to the military and the justice system, not higher education.

Just my opinion. But the issues here are not survival. They are effort and reward with dignity.

And now I will vacate my pulpit. Wink

Players at all levels deserve to be given the means of maximizing their potential and succeeding. And that includes providing them the best possible coaching. If you want to play just for exercise and fun, then join a league at the local Y. These isn't T ball for 5 year olds. They do actually keep score in college sports.

It is completely unfair to the players to saddle them with a mediocre coaching staff.

Nice red herrings about professionals and the military and "death battles" but of course that has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 08/10/14 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barry A, the AD at Wisconsin could care less about women's basketballhe did the same thing with Lisa StoneStone had a few years where she did not get an extension, and then Barry extended her for more years then she deserved before being firedgame attendance went way down and the money donors did not contribute as muchplus her buyout was cheap!

Barry's ego is SO SO SO big he hates to admit he made a mistakeUW-Madison is also very CHEAP in wanting to buy out it's basketball coaches on the women's sidehe will wait until Bobbie's contract language comes down to only several hundred thousand that ALUMNI will pay out

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/10/14 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Barry A, the AD at Wisconsin could care less about women's basketballhe did the same thing with Lisa StoneStone had a few years where she did not get an extension, and then Barry extended her for more years then she deserved before being firedgame attendance went way down and the money donors did not contribute as muchplus her buyout was cheap!

Barry's ego is SO SO SO big he hates to admit he made a mistakeUW-Madison is also very CHEAP in wanting to buy out it's basketball coaches on the women's sidehe will wait until Bobbie's contract language comes down to only several hundred thousand that ALUMNI will pay out

It was bad before Barry, and that was Pat Richter before him. He was responsible for hiring Lisa Stone because whoever the "committee" was that "recommended" her was pushing for a female candidate, period. IMO, Lisa wasn't all that qualified, her success at Drake notwithstanding. Drake is a *very* mid-major school, not even one on the bubble. And there were no bones made whatsoever about the fact she was hired almost solely because she was female. I remember it well.

PostPosted: 08/10/14 7:01 pm    ::: Butts Reply Reply with quote

Any Word on Nya Butts?

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 08/10/14 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisconsin is trying to land a big, in-state recruit, so it makes sense to publicly give the coach an extension.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/10/14 9:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
Wisconsin is trying to land a big, in-state recruit, so it makes sense to publicly give the coach an extension.

Maybe it would have been more effective to replace her with someone that gives the hope of actually winning something. "Stability" is only a good thing if you're happy with the status quo.

Is this going to attract a player who is choosing between Walls, McGraw, McGuff, Close and:

2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 08/11/14 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I read her brother plays football there. Most likely, her relationships with the current coaching staff go back a few years. You can't necessarily simulate that with a new hire.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/11/14 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
I think I read her brother plays football there. Most likely, her relationships with the current coaching staff go back a few years. You can't necessarily simulate that with a new hire.

Her brother does play football there which is irrelevant to who is the WBB coach. Her brother would still play football there whether they changed WBB coaches or not.

She may have a relationship but other than geography and her brother (neither of which have anything to do with who is the coach), I can't imagine a player of Ogunbowale's talent and stature choosing to play for a coach that has demonstrated zero likelihood of success on the court.

If she goes to Wisconsin, it will be because she chooses to stay home and play, not because of the coach. Hiring a coach with a chance of success could only have enhanced the situation.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 08/11/14 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WI DSHA player had Louisville as top on her list according to her high school coaches who coached with her last yeari cannot believe she would choose Madison except she could come in a start right away and play every minute

she struggles to play defense, and at least at her H.S. practices she is not a hard workerthis also according to those who coached her last year every day at practiceUConn, DePaul, Maryland, ND and others all saw her at her high school practicesshe will have a lot of growing up to do no matter whatever school she ends up at

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: