RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A new season of: Coaches on the Hot Seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfineguy

PostPosted: 08/11/14 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:
Wisconsin is trying to land a big, in-state recruit, so it makes sense to publicly give the coach an extension.

Maybe it would have been more effective to replace her with someone that gives the hope of actually winning something. "Stability" is only a good thing if you're happy with the status quo.

Is this going to attract a player who is choosing between Walls, McGraw, McGuff, Close and:

Bobbie Kelsey - Wisconsin
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

It's Walz. I get Walz, McGraw and McGuff. But what's up with Close? She hasn't done anything but recruit. She's McCallie Jr on the sidelines during games. She may turn out to be one of the biggest Flops of the new century. CynCoop will ultimately be much more successful!

Last edited by dfineguy on 08/17/14 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/11/14 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:
Wisconsin is trying to land a big, in-state recruit, so it makes sense to publicly give the coach an extension.

Maybe it would have been more effective to replace her with someone that gives the hope of actually winning something. "Stability" is only a good thing if you're happy with the status quo.

Is this going to attract a player who is choosing between Walls, McGraw, McGuff, Close and:

2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

It's Walz. I get Walz, McGraw and McGuff. But what's up with Close? She hasn't done anything but recruit and injure players. She's McCallie Jr on the sidelines during games. She may turn out to be one of the biggest Flops of the new century. CynCoop will ultimately be much more successful!

You could be right about Close -- we'll see. She could just have had bad injury luck or be creating a situation that leads to injuries. Good recruiting class, though, and people don't leave as they do with McCallie.

I agree about Cooper. If she doesn't break the rules, or run off players, as she has in the past, she could be huge at USC.

PostPosted: 08/11/14 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:

2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

It's Walz. I get Walz, McGraw and McGuff. But what's up with Close? She hasn't done anything but recruit and injure players. She's McCallie Jr on the sidelines during games. She may turn out to be one of the biggest 7 of the new century. CynCoop will ultimately be much more successful!

Well, 52-38 is a lot better than 31-58, and Close has recruited well and has the program on an upward trajectory.

She may not be the equal of the other three, but she's head and shoulders ahead of Kelsey.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/11/14 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

The difference between the men's and women's game, in a nutshell.

Do you think the men's coach at Wisconsin, or any other Big 5 school, would be extended with that kind of record?

As long as there are no scandals and the players graduate, performance on the court is not nearly the issue it is on the men's side. Which means that the quality of coaching on the women's side will simply not be as good because the urgency to win games is not there.

________X [co-sign]

I seem to recall that Cindy Blodgett got a contract extension when she was the head coach at Maine, despite a dreadful won-loss record. It was through the then-Athletic Director who had hired her years ago. A year or two after that AD left, Blodgett was fired by the new AD after a four-year coaching record of 24-94.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/11/14 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
ClayK wrote:
2011-12 9-20 (5-11)
2012-13 12-19 (3-13)
2013-14 10-19 (3-13)

The difference between the men's and women's game, in a nutshell.

Do you think the men's coach at Wisconsin, or any other Big 5 school, would be extended with that kind of record?

As long as there are no scandals and the players graduate, performance on the court is not nearly the issue it is on the men's side. Which means that the quality of coaching on the women's side will simply not be as good because the urgency to win games is not there.

________X [co-sign]

I seem to recall that Cindy Blodgett got a contract extension when she was the head coach at Maine, despite a dreadful won-loss record. It was through the then-Athletic Director who had hired her years ago. A year or two after that AD left, Blodgett was fired by the new AD after a four-year coaching record of 24-94.

Maine is a very bad example as they also extended their highly "unsuccessful" men's basketball coach and just replaced him this year after 10 years. So, it does happen on the men's side, just nowhere near as frequently.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/12/14 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jennifer Azzi at San Francisco getting warmer.

In four years she has a record of 33-88. However, 24 of those wins have happened over the last two years so improvement is happening but at a slow pace. She has most of her team returning so this next year could be make it o break it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/12/14 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

In four years she has a record of 33-88. However, 24 of those wins have happened over the last two years so improvement is happening but at a slow pace. She has most of her team returning so this next year could be make it o break it.

USF (which is not and never has been in Florida) is a tough place to win. The facilities are old and the campus is in the middle of San Francisco, which conceivably could be an attraction, but given the cost of living there, is probably more of a negative.

Azzi has worked hard, but recruits have no idea of her background, so she's just another coach pounding away -- and the West Coast Conference is full of attractive schools with solid programs. There are also three small schools (USF, Santa Clara and St. Mary's) in the Bay Area in the same conference with religious affiliations, and it's hard for more than one to be good at the same time (right now it's Paul Thomas at St. Mary's).

They just made a new hire at Santa Clara, and Kelly Graves left Gonzaga, so there may be a chance to move up, but right now, Northern California doesn't have a ton of talent, and USF has no glitter attached to its name.

I don't think Azzi's in much danger if she stays close to .500, as finding anyone better would be very difficult.

PostPosted: 08/12/14 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt Painter has driven Purdue men's basketball into the ground and there are not recruits coming in that will change things soon. What is more, the AD is thrilled with him and gave him a fat contract extension.

I think people are way overestimating how quickly men's coaches get the axe. It's not like 50% of the men's college coaches turn over every year.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/12/14 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

USF (which is not and never has been in Florida) is a tough place to win. The facilities are old and the campus is in the middle of San Francisco, which conceivably could be an attraction, but given the cost of living there, is probably more of a negative.

Azzi has worked hard, but recruits have no idea of her background, so she's just another coach pounding away -- and the West Coast Conference is full of attractive schools with solid programs. There are also three small schools (USF, Santa Clara and St. Mary's) in the Bay Area in the same conference with religious affiliations, and it's hard for more than one to be good at the same time (right now it's Paul Thomas at St. Mary's).

They just made a new hire at Santa Clara, and Kelly Graves left Gonzaga, so there may be a chance to move up, but right now, Northern California doesn't have a ton of talent, and USF has no glitter attached to its name.

I don't think Azzi's in much danger if she stays close to .500, as finding anyone better would be very difficult.

Adding difficulty to Azzi's situation was the WAC's addition of BYU three years back and re-addition of Pacific this past season. BYU graduated Jessica Hamson and Kim Beeston so they may take a step back. Don't now much about Pacific.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/12/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Capri wrote:
Matt Painter has driven Purdue men's basketball into the ground and there are not recruits coming in that will change things soon. What is more, the AD is thrilled with him and gave him a fat contract extension.

I think people are way overestimating how quickly men's coaches get the axe. It's not like 50% of the men's college coaches turn over every year.

Nobody, men or women, is getting fired for having two bad years after six straight tournament appearances (in the mens, where that means something), years of 28-6, 26-8, 25-9, and four straight first or second place finishes in the Big 10. He completely turned around a program that was 7-21 the year before he arrived. He has earned a little latitude. But if he has a couple more years like the last two, I have little doubt he'll be replaced.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/12/14 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Capri wrote:

Nobody, men or women, is getting fired for having two bad years after six straight tournament appearances (in the mens, where that means something), years of 28-6, 26-8, 25-9, and four straight first or second place finishes in the Big 10. He completely turned around a program that was 7-21 the year before he arrived. He has earned a little latitude. But if he has a couple more years like the last two, I have little doubt he'll be replaced.

Jim Foster got fired at Ohio State for one "bad" year (18-13) after 10 straight tournament appearances, years of 25-7, 24-10, 31-5, 29-6, and nine straight top three finishes (seven of them 1st or 2nd).

PostPosted: 08/12/14 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Jim Foster got fired at Ohio State for one "bad" year (18-13) after 10 straight tournament appearances, years of 25-7, 24-10, 31-5, 29-6, and nine straight top three finishes (seven of them 1st or 2nd).

I really like Jim Foster, but I think his departure from OhSt was a little more complicated than just his w/l record.

We may never know just what went on, and neither side is talking.

The official line is "lack of postseason success." If that's actually the reason, then OhSt is truly the exception to the rule and you have to give them some credit for wanting to do better than just make the tournament, and for wanting to be a national contender. But I'm not convinced it was that simple.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 08/15/14 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
But what's up with Close? She hasn't done anything but recruit and injure players.

What, exactly, has Coach Close has done to "injure players"? Please be very specific. Thanks in advance.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 08/16/14 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
dfineguy wrote:
But what's up with Close? She hasn't done anything but recruit and injure players.

What, exactly, has Coach Close has done to "injure players"? Please be very specific. Thanks in advance.

She hasn't done anything "to injure players" that I know of, Pat. But after 3 seasons, the notable facts of her tenure are 1, probably 2, great recruiting classes and a lot of injuries, a few of them career ending. I'm no Bruin hater or even close to it(no pun intended). But she's being touted as the second coming of Pat Summitt, and she really hasn't done much. Plus her OOC schedule is unreasonable for a team thats' future rests on an incoming freshman class. Many coaches have cupcake OOC seasons, but, in my opinion (note I said this), but she has done the opposite and I think it may be a big mistake. There's something out of kilter in how she does things and I can't shake the feeling that this won't end well.

PostPosted: 08/16/14 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

She hasn't done anything "to injure players" that I know of, Pat.

Okay, I got confused, 'cause you said (in your original post) that Coach Close "hasn't done anything but recruit and injure players". The plain meaning of those bolded words is that she, Cori Close herself, has injured players. But if you're saying now that that's not what you meant to say, then okay.

Quote:
"But she's being touted as the second coming of Pat Summitt..."

By who? Where? I've seen no such touting. I know that I, personally, have done no such touting, and I'm as big a UCLA honk as there is.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/16/14 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

She hasn't done anything "to injure players" that I know of, Pat. But after 3 seasons, the notable facts of her tenure are 1, probably 2, great recruiting classes and a lot of injuries, a few of them career ending. I'm no Bruin hater or even close to it(no pun intended). But she's being touted as the second coming of Pat Summitt, and she really hasn't done much. Plus her OOC schedule is unreasonable for a team thats' future rests on an incoming freshman class. Many coaches have cupcake OOC seasons, but, in my opinion (note I said this), but she has done the opposite and I think it may be a big mistake. There's something out of kilter in how she does things and I can't shake the feeling that this won't end well.

This is going based off memory, but at least 5 injuries that were season ending, or contributed to a season ending injury (by this I mean the first of multiple concussions), occurred during games, and some have occurred in workouts with Cori Close no where in the building, including injuries that have occurred in high school to some players, so I can't or wouldn't say those are in any way on her, or her fault. So I wouldn't consider them notable in anyway other than obstacles she has had to overcome. As for the second coming of Pat Summitt, I have never heard that, and I did a quick google search of "Cori Close" and "Pat Summitt" and the only articles I came across were ones referencing Pat when Cori would talk about her current players being related to the Pat Summitt coaching tree when she was first hired and she was talking about Nikki Caldwell coaching the players, when Alyssia Brewer transferred and she was obviously coached by Pat at Tennessee, when UCLA played Tennessee in 2011, and when Cori was first hired she said she was indebted to Pat and Tennessee for helping pave the way for women's basketball. There was nothing about her being the second coming of Pat.

LitePal

PostPosted: 08/17/14 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is it with the Cal fans and UCLA? Look on their own message boards and they seem obsessed with us. Cal went to the FF, and claim to have the better coach. We had to start a former walk-on last season. We were no threat to them, and if they truly believe Gottlieb is the greater coach, then our five AA will make no difference to their two AA. Yet, listen to them whine about how we stole their recruits. If they are such a superior program, why are they bothering with us? Why aren't they talking about ND or Duke since they feel they are on that level.

There has never been talk of Cori Close as the second coming of Pat Summitt. Maybe you're thinking of Nikki Caldwell, who people did say that about. I mean, they look so much alike. People behind the scenes at Westwood knew about the troubles with the Caldwell regime that would also manifest at LSU but the media just went nuts over this gorgeous African American coach who was such a good image for the sport. It deservedly drew the ire of the fan base of every other Pac team because telecasts in particular made it sound like there was only one coach around and that was Caldwell.

You claim Close is "McCallie JR" on the sidelines but yet express your admiration for Cynthia Cooper Dyke. Have you seen her on the sidelines? A few boosters with children asked to have their season seats changed because they didn't want their kids to hear her. I have zero respect for a female coach who profanes her own players in public.

But thanks for the interest. You should direct your energies towards the extremely negative perceptions of Gottlieb and company in the club community. If Cal has a problem recruiting (or UCLA has had great success), it's interior.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/17/14 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
dfineguy wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
dfineguy wrote:

This is going based off memory, but at least 5 injuries that were season ending, or contributed to a season ending injury (by this I mean the first of multiple concussions), occurred during games, and some have occurred in workouts with Cori Close no where in the building, including injuries that have occurred in high school to some players, so I can't or wouldn't say those are in any way on her, or her fault. So I wouldn't consider them notable in anyway other than obstacles she has had to overcome. As for the second coming of Pat Summitt, I have never heard that, and I did a quick google search of "Cori Close" and "Pat Summitt" and the only articles I came across were ones referencing Pat when Cori would talk about her current players being related to the Pat Summitt coaching tree when she was first hired and she was talking about Nikki Caldwell coaching the players, when Alyssia Brewer transferred and she was obviously coached by Pat at Tennessee, when UCLA played Tennessee in 2011, and when Cori was first hired she said she was indebted to Pat and Tennessee for helping pave the way for women's basketball. There was nothing about her being the second coming of Pat.

Cori Close may not have a great training staff, but the training staff is NOT her responsibility! It is the responsibility of the Athletic Department and the AD, as we at Tennessee have (regrettably) found out in the last year, having lost arguably the best trainer in the business, Jenny Moshak, who was fired by Heartless Dave. (That was, IMO, part of his plan to break down the Lady Vols brand. YMMV. He also probably didn't like the salary they were paying her; he and his boss, Jimmy the Cheek, are notoriously cheap) It remains to be seen whether her replacements are as good.

PostPosted: 08/17/14 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
What is it with the Cal fans and UCLA? Look on their own message boards and they seem obsessed with us.

Eh, there's some sibling rivalry in the UCLA/Cal relationship for several sports fandoms (including WBB), and it goes both ways at times, but I believe that most Cal WBB fans are reasonably respectful of the UCLA WBB program, and I believe that respect is reciprocated by most UCLA WBB fans. The exceptions tend to stick out on message boards, but hey: the internet. Whatreyagonnado?

Good luck to Cal this coming season. Win every game except 2 (or 3, should the Bears and Bruins meet in the Pac-12 Tourney).

Patrick Meighan
UCLA Class of '95

Last edited by patsweetpat on 08/18/14 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 08/17/14 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
What is it with the Cal fans and UCLA? Look on their own message boards and they seem obsessed with us. Cal went to the FF, and claim to have the better coach. We had to start a former walk-on last season. We were no threat to them, and if they truly believe Gottlieb is the greater coach, then our five AA will make no difference to their two AA. Yet, listen to them whine about how we stole their recruits. If they are such a superior program, why are they bothering with us? Why aren't they talking about ND or Duke since they feel they are on that level.

There has never been talk of Cori Close as the second coming of Pat Summitt. Maybe you're thinking of Nikki Caldwell, who people did say that about. I mean, they look so much alike. People behind the scenes at Westwood knew about the troubles with the Caldwell regime that would also manifest at LSU but the media just went nuts over this gorgeous African American coach who was such a good image for the sport. It deservedly drew the ire of the fan base of every other Pac team because telecasts in particular made it sound like there was only one coach around and that was Caldwell.

You claim Close is "McCallie JR" on the sidelines but yet express your admiration for Cynthia Cooper Dyke. Have you seen her on the sidelines? A few boosters with children asked to have their season seats changed because they didn't want their kids to hear her. I have zero respect for a female coach who profanes her own players in public.

But thanks for the interest. You should direct your energies towards the extremely negative perceptions of Gottlieb and company in the club community. If Cal has a problem recruiting (or UCLA has had great success), it's interior.

The sentiments of one Cal fan (and those who frequent the message board) don't reflect the views of all Cal fans....btw, most of the Cal WBB fans I know don't post on BI message board...

I think coaching in the Pac 12 is up across the board...

UCLA has some great kids coming in this year...should be a force in the Pac 12 for sure and nationally if they live up to billing. I think the Pac 12 in general is getting much stronger (thanks in part to coaches and to more exposure (thank you Pac12 Network) and that bodes well for all the programs--both inside California and beyond. Good stuff, let's keep the talent out west.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/18/14 12:40 pm    ::: Eeeha Reply Reply with quote

From reading the Cal board they seem at odds putting it mildly that Close and UCLA have been winning the recruiting wars for the locals.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 08/18/14 2:06 pm    ::: Re: Eeeha Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
From reading the Cal board they seem at odds putting it mildly that Close and UCLA have been winning the recruiting wars for the locals.

I think the competition between Gottlieb and Close is perfectly natural. They started the same year at the 2 major UC schools. You say Close is winning the recruiting wars for the locals. Not true. They are each keeping their locals at home. Close is getting the Socal elites and Cal is getting the Norcal. And it is good to see Cali players stay in-state or at least in-conference.

My main issue with Close is what I see on the sidelines when she is coaching. She uses the Mulkey/McKallie model of screaming at refs and ultra-dramatic imploring of refs, fans and her own players. She never quiets down, she's out of the box more than in it and I find it kind of offensive. The refs get yelled at by her constantly and I've seen them exchange looks and roll their eyes during these tirades. Not helping her team with this behaviour. And that's what I don't like about Close. Not the fact that she is recruiting well.

PostPosted: 08/18/14 3:03 pm    ::: Hmmm Reply Reply with quote

I think everyone already knows you don't like Close. I was referring to the comments on the Cal board re LGs struggles which the Cal board perceives with her recruiting.

I personally don't see what you see re Close. She doesn't seem more or less dramatic than most. I think I have seen worse.

BallState1984

PostPosted: 08/18/14 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In regards to Purdue....

Don't count on it. Morgan Burke is a total moron and everything he touches turns to crap. You can count on him to do the wrong thing, though.

PostPosted: 08/18/14 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm certain that most Cal wbb fans are very supportive of all Pac 12 teams and that has certainly been my experience. However, two proCal, Anti-UCLA fans brought Coach Close's name into a thead about Coaches on the Hot Seat, which is about as wrong as can be. One poster continually writes incorrect information about her and as such, he can't just be ignored, he has to be challenged. As you can see, he backs down admirably. I'm still trying to get over his assertion that Close put together too tough a schedule for the #1 class and that's a reason to dislike her. Perhaps you should question why Gottlieb cobbled together a "cupcake" schedule, as you call it.

Cal is a team that went to the Final Four only two years ago and they return two essential players, two high ranking AAs as well as most of their coaching staff. Yet, some of their own posters continually paint them as a team that can't control their own destiny. A program of professional victims. If that's your opinion, fine, but leave UCLA and Coach Close out of your mess. They had nothing to do with whatever struggles your program faces.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: