RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

JMU schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/02/14 2:40 pm    ::: JMU schedule Reply Reply with quote

posted by mistake, post deleted

PostPosted: 08/03/14 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dag. I wanted to see that. Crying or Very sad

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/04/14 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Dag. I wanted to see that. Crying or Very sad

Ditto. Y'all better be taking proper care of Ashley Perez down there.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/04/14 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The mistake was that it was last year's schedule. Embarassed JMU is woefully behind everyone else and has not updated their website since FOREVER! I don't know what's wrong over there. I do know Ashley will be eligible to play second semester, though.

PostPosted: 08/10/14 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have since had some correspondence with the person who manages the WBB website for JMU. When I asked him why the website was not up to date, this is what I got:
"We cant publish anything until we have official information from the staff, including game contracts and clearance on student-athlete paperwork. Once we have that clearance, we will disseminate the information in a timely fashion."
followed by, in another e-mail:
"As a point of reference, the womens basketball non-conference schedule was announced last year on Sept. 17 with the full schedule on Oct. 2."

I asked him if they found it acceptable to be almost a month behind other schools in D-I. No answer, of course. It does seem to me that if they want to play with the big kids they would at least TRY to keep up!

PostPosted: 08/13/14 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I have since had some correspondence with the person who manages the WBB website for JMU. When I asked him why the website was not up to date, this is what I got:
"We cant publish anything until we have official information from the staff, including game contracts and clearance on student-athlete paperwork. Once we have that clearance, we will disseminate the information in a timely fashion."
followed by, in another e-mail:
"As a point of reference, the womens basketball non-conference schedule was announced last year on Sept. 17 with the full schedule on Oct. 2."

I asked him if they found it acceptable to be almost a month behind other schools in D-I. No answer, of course. It does seem to me that if they want to play with the big kids they would at least TRY to keep up!

From the response you posted, if they are waiting on another school for a contract they can't exactly do anything about it, or maybe the coaches are still trying to figure out a game or something. I obviously don't have any information, but it doesn't exactly seem outside the realm of possibility they are waiting on something from another school and don't want to release something that is not compete. And I'm not exactly sure what "clearance on student-athletes" means, but if that is an issue, I think the school/team would be more concerned with getting that fixed than trying to "keep up with the big kids".

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/13/14 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It comes across as an excuse. It just seems really weird that even places like LA Tech and MO State have had their their schedules and rosters set for a couple of weeks and JMU can't get it together. *SMH* But I'm finding that Harrisonburg in general seems happy to be behind everyone else. It's quite maddening sometimes.

PostPosted: 08/13/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Talking to a coach from there, they are going to Puerto Rico, so they will play against the teams there. The delay in putting out the schedule is finding competitive teams willing to play them. I believe a few of last years games were home and home contracts. Think UCLA is one of them.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 08/13/14 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, but the whole fun of this part of the season is frantically googling every day to see if your team has shown up on someone else's schedule. How boring it must be for fans of schools that release their schedules early. Laughing

So far, for JMU:
11/14 UCLA
11/16 ST. BONAVENTURE
11/23 PITTSBURGH
11/28 vs Houston (San Juan Shootout)
vs Maryland (San Juan Shootout)
[yeah, both Houston and Maryland think they're playing JMU on the same day Embarassed ]

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/13/14 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They beat UNC rather badly last year so I kinda doubt UNC will be anxious to play them again. Wink

One of the players works at the local Costco, though. Maybe I should ask her.

PostPosted: 08/13/14 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
They beat UNC rather badly last year so I kinda doubt UNC will be anxious to play them again. Wink

One of the players works at the local Costco, though. Maybe I should ask her.

Think they lost by 4 to UNC, think it was UVA they beat badly and possibly Miami and Clemson.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/13/14 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
It comes across as an excuse. It just seems really weird that even places like LA Tech and MO State have had their their schedules and rosters set for a couple of weeks and JMU can't get it together. *SMH* But I'm finding that Harrisonburg in general seems happy to be behind everyone else. It's quite maddening sometimes.

I don't consider them excuses because I know how long it can take for paper work to go through to get things finalized, and sometimes it's just waiting for a signature from a higher up person.

Also a a point of reference multiple NCAA Tournament teams have not released their schedules yet, including Notre Dame.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/13/14 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ball4life wrote:
Talking to a coach from there, they are going to Puerto Rico, so they will play against the teams there. The delay in putting out the schedule is finding competitive teams willing to play them. I believe a few of last years games were home and home contracts. Think UCLA is one of them.

Last year James Madison played UCLA in the Gulf Coast Showcase. So this year's game is either a one time thing, or the start of a home and home.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/23/14 5:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, even as of today, I'm still baffled about UCLA & JMU. Their series record are:

1990: 75-69 win for JMU at Convocation Center
1991: 78-72 win for JMU at Convocation Center
2013: 77-67 win for JMU at Florida

See something strange? The games in 1990 & 1991 took place at JMU. Many teams from big conferences tend to demand home-and-home game series. In this case, it should be at JMU then next year or two, the game goes to UCLA in Los Angeles. But not with JMU & UCLA.

So as of now, we found out that the 2014 season opener at JMU will be UCLA. It means what? In 4 games, JMU never played UCLA in Pauley Pavilion. Any thoughts on why JMU never played in Los Angeles?

R-

ClayK

PostPosted: 08/23/14 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very odd. Maybe the UCLA coach had family in Virginia ...

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
FYI, even as of today, I'm still baffled about UCLA & JMU. Their series record are:

1990: 75-69 win for JMU at Convocation Center
1991: 78-72 win for JMU at Convocation Center
2013: 77-67 win for JMU at Florida

See something strange? The games in 1990 & 1991 took place at JMU. Many teams from big conferences tend to demand home-and-home game series. In this case, it should be at JMU then next year or two, the game goes to UCLA in Los Angeles. But not with JMU & UCLA.

So as of now, we found out that the 2014 season opener at JMU will be UCLA. It means what? In 4 games, JMU never played UCLA in Pauley Pavilion. Any thoughts on why JMU never played in Los Angeles?

R-

James Madison played UCLA on December 30, 1990 at UCLA and James Madison played UCLA on December 16, 1991 at James Madison and James Madison played UCLA on November 29, 2013 at the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament.

Looking at James Madison's media guide there is a typo on the "Series Scores vs 2013-2014 Opponents" Page, if you go down to the "Season by Season Results" page under 1990-91 it says the game is at UCLA and if you look at the UCLA media guide on the "All-Time Game by Game Results" page under 1990-91 it "JAMES MADISON" indicating it's a home game, and on the "Pauley Pavilion - Home of the Bruins" page under "Record vs. Opponents in Pauley" it stays they are 0-1 against James Madison.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AND (ta-da!) JMU opens their schedule with a game at the Convocation Center against none other than..UCLA! That's on Nov. 14 of this year. I hope to be there. The rest of the schedule is still not published Confused

However, the roster has finally(!) been put up on the site, and I see there are 3 newbies, guards Candice Williams out of Atlanta and Hailee Barron from Burlington, VT, and forward Carley Brew from Wyomissing, PA, plus transfers Tasia Butler from Syracuse (R-F) and Ashley Perez from St. John's (Jr). Perez will be eligible to play in January, I understand. I know absolutely nothing about any of the freshmen. I hope it's Kenny Brooks' usual quality crew.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF, thanks for doing this to clarify that it was an error. I could not figure out why both games were at JMU. But it was an error. I just checked the same thing on uclabruins.com and turns out you were right as well. For a long time, JMU seems not to embrace or enjoy the internet. As Virginian, I always try to keep up with Virginia, Richmond, JMU, Virginia Tech, Old Dominion, George Mason, Liberty, Hampton, Norfolk State, Longwood & VMI. And I noticed that ODU has wealth of information on its website. VT embraced the internet quicker than Virginia. Virginia, for years, has been conservative in releasing the information on their website. The worst offenders? JMU & Liberty. Before Liberty had Carey Green as Head Coach and Kenny Brooks as Head Coach, they often altered the information, removed the game recaps but kept boxscores or removed the boxscores but kept game recaps. the season schedules disappeared and appeared at different times.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/23/14 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kenny Brooks, however, does not run the website and in fact, seems to have nothing at all to do with it. The guy who does is something of a doofus, as my correspondence with him would seem to indicate. He barely seems to know enough to keep his head above water. But Harrisonburg itself is pretty much of a backwater in a lot of ways *sigh*

PostPosted: 09/06/14 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The schedule was officially released
http://www.jmusports.com/news/2014/9/5/WBB_0905141751.aspx

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 09/06/14 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good, I get to see the Dukes in Athens this year. Bring the band too.

PostPosted: 09/07/14 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PrideFan wrote:
The schedule was officially released
http://www.jmusports.com/news/2014/9/5/WBB_0905141751.aspx

I note with pleasure that they are playing not only UCLA, but also Vandy and Maryland. That helps their street cred some, especially if they put up a good fight. Pitt and Houston are also on the schedule and they should do well against them, St. Bonaventure, and Hampton.

Jazmon Gwathmey has been working at the local Costco this summer and I must say she is a most pleasant and personable young woman. Very different from her on-court persona!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: