RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Durr announces final 5.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/04/14 8:29 am    ::: Durr announces final 5. Reply Reply with quote

And perhaps Glen's tea leaves were accurate.

"Asia Durr, the top undeclared prospect in the 2015 class, has narrowed her college choices down to Baylor, Duke, Louisville, Maryland and Notre Dame."

"Among the schools Durr considered but has since eliminated from her list are Tennessee, Florida State, Georgia, Rutgers, South Carolina, Connecticut, Kentucky and LSU."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/11306361/hoopgurlz-asia-durr-narrows-list-baylor-duke-louisville-maryland-notre-dame

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/04/14 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My primary cambric tea leaf is that, three months before the NLI signing period, top ranked recruits almost always know where they are going and it's usually to a school they have already visited. According to this early spring video, Durr had visited Rutgers, UTK, Duke and Maryland as of then.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HASOAluZehU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Only Duke and Maryland have survived into her final five under the visit theory, unless she's made other visits we don't know about. Her other three final schools would seem to meet her stated criteria equally well.

My secondary cambric tea leaf was that Durr didn't seem to have shown much interest in UConn as of last month other than having them on her 13 school media decoy list, and that Geno's tweets could be interpreted as frustration at losing his real 2015 guard target, Ogumbowale.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/04/14 10:21 am    ::: Agree Reply Reply with quote

Glenn was definitely on to something. IMO both AO and AD are waiting to see where the other lands and Uconn was out for both after KLS went there.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/04/14 10:25 am    ::: Re: Agree Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Uconn was out for both after KLS went there.

What?

They are completely different players. You'll have to explain that logic for us.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/04/14 10:40 am    ::: Re: Agree Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Uconn was out for both after KLS went there.

What?

They are completely different players. You'll have to explain that logic for us.

If we want to play with really speculative theories, I've wondered about the meaning and impact of the unexpected recruitment of 2014's Kia Nurse on 2015's Durr. I see two speculative possibilities.

One prong of the speculation is that Auriemma took Nurse on a sudden stockpiling impulse, which caused Durr to lose interest in a team with two or three 2014 guards at her position. In other words, the Nurse gambit checkmated UConn's chances with Durr.

The alternative prong is that Auriemma had strong vibes he wouldn't get Durr, so he made a quick grab at Nurse before she committed to Penn State. That could also have poisoned the UConn well for Ogumbowale.

Both Durr and Ogumbowale are arguably better than Nurse.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/04/14 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm generally skeptical that a player like Durr is remotely afraid of the competition.
She's going to play and play quickly regardless of where she goes and regardless of who else is on the roster.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/04/14 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A few points.

It's not that Durr necessarily would be "afraid" of the competition at UConn. It's minutes. Players want to play and to play long minutes. Durr could see herself sitting a lot at UConn during big leads as Auriemma had to give time to six other guards.

Also, it's not incongruous that Durr would perceive Samuelson as competition at UConn. I don't see Durr as an instinctive or pure point guard; see seems to think shoot and drive before she thinks pass. Samuelson was played almost exclusively as a perimeter shooter on the U17 team and often brought the ball up. Therefore, one could consider both primarily to be perimeter shooters with the ability to bring the ball up court.

Finally, at UConn, Durr would see one year of Jefferson, two years of Chong, and three years of Nurse-Edwards ahead of her as point guards; and Chong, Edwards, Ekmark, Nurse . . . and the BIG GUN, Samuleson . . . as shooting guards/wings.

It's all a matter of perspective and probabilities. Durr would likely get more playing time over four years at each of her final five schools than at UConn.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/04/14 11:10 am    ::: Think outside the box Reply Reply with quote

These are basketball players. Who knows what they base choices on. But I will bet if AO goes to ND, AD won't.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/04/14 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A few points.

It's not that Durr necessarily would be "afraid" of the competition at UConn. It's minutes. Players want to play and to play long minutes. Durr could see herself sitting a lot at UConn during big leads as Auriemma had to give time to six other guards.

Also, it's not incongruous that Durr would perceive Samuelson as competition at UConn. I don't see Durr as an instinctive or pure point guard; see seems to think shoot and drive before she thinks pass. Samuelson was played almost exclusively as a perimeter shooter on the U17 team and often brought the ball up. Therefore, one could consider both primarily to be perimeter shooters with the ability to bring the ball up court.

Finally, at UConn, Durr would see one year of Jefferson, two years of Chong, and three years of Nurse-Edwards ahead of her as point guards; and Chong, Edwards, Ekmark, Nurse . . . and the BIG GUN, Samuleson . . . as shooting guards/wings.

It's all a matter of perspective and probabilities. Durr would likely get more playing time over four years at each of her final five schools than at UConn.

Not buying it. First, a player like Durr will happily let everyone else worry about the minutes they aren't going to get. Geno isn't going to divide the minutes among six guards. Most of them are just going to sit. I'm sure Durr is confident enough to believe it's the other six guards who would be doing the sitting.

Second, Samuelson isn't going to play either guard position for UConn. and Durr isn't going to play the 3. They're not fighting with either other. She is irrelevant to Durr's decision. Indeed, if anything, her presence should have helped, not hurt. Good players want other good players around them

Third, she's got as much competition at Notre Dame. There's no room to start her freshman year with Loyd, Mabrey I and Cable as Seniors and Allen a Junior. Allen will still be the point guard when Durr is a sophomore. Johnson is a year ahead of her. And Patberg and Mabrey II are already signed in this class.

If she was worried about walking into a wide open position, she could have stopped her list after Duke and Baylor, or left on Rutgers, South Carolina, Kentucky or LSU. That she left ND on blows up your thesis.

I have no idea why she made her decision, but this "she's afraid of the other players on the roster" is really insulting to her, and I doubt it has anything to do with it.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/04/14 11:41 am    ::: LMAO Reply Reply with quote

Why I am not surprised that you would assume that much.

But you are also assuming that she thinks the players ahead of her in the 2014 class are relevant!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/04/14 11:45 am    ::: Re: LMAO Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Why I am not surprised that you would assume that much.

But you are also assuming that she thinks the players ahead of her in the 2014 class are relevant!

What???????

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/04/14 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
That she left ND on blows up your thesis.

I don't think so.

First, my thesis only relates to UConn.

Second, Loyd aside, the guard/perimeter minutes competition at UConn is significantly greater than at Notre Dame--in my opinion.

Third, I'm not proposing that minutes competition is the only factor that influences Durr. There are many other reasons why Durr could like her final five schools more than UConn.

Fourth, four of the five schools on her "final five" list, possibly including Notre Dame, are likely decoys. I think she's really narrowed her list to to one.
linkster

PostPosted: 08/04/14 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"First, a player like Durr will happily let everyone else worry about the minutes they aren't going to get."

I'll disagree. It isn't necessarily about minutes. Diamond eliminated Tenn because she didn't want to share the ball with K Davis. Both would have gotten big minutes. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that a 17 year old has at least a little insecurity. Larry Bird threw up from nerves before every game. Notre Dame has some great guards ahead of her but they also have been playing a 3 guard offense for a number of years. JMO of course.

What is interesting is that a player from Georgia has no SEC teams on her final five list.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/04/14 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Second, Loyd aside, the guard/perimeter minutes competition at UConn is significantly greater than at Notre Dame--in my opinion.

Really? Based on a whole bunch of players who have never set foot on a college court, and at least one of which hasn't even played in high school for over a year, and another from Canada who you've been doubting for months.?

You're usually not that big a rah rah, Glenn.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 08/04/14 1:50 pm    ::: Nice Glenn Reply Reply with quote

Well according to my source Tenn was eliminated when Diamond chose them, so acc to Art thats an insult but not me, the kid can chose her school however she wants, her choice and no labels, like some people like to use.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 08/04/14 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I bet she goes to Louisville. Wish it was MD though but with Lexi Brown being the starting PG for the next 3 years, I say she goes to LSV

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 08/05/14 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
I bet she goes to Louisville. Wish it was MD though but with Lexi Brown being the starting PG for the next 3 years, I say she goes to LSV

"Negative Nancy" ist thou name? LOL
FYI, Louisville already has 2 PGs committed in the 2015 class.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/05/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Louisville has 3 commitments for 2015. Taja Cole is a PG that Prospects Nation calls a combo guard (seemingly because she's 'shoot-first'). Brianna Jones is a SG/W and Maya Denham is a W. But Durr is a combo guard herself so she can happily coexist with another PG.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 08/05/14 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Louisville has 3 commitments for 2015. Taja Cole is a PG that Prospects Nation calls a combo guard (seemingly because she's 'shoot-first'). Brianna Jones is a SG/W and Maya Denham is a W. But Durr is a combo guard herself so she can happily coexist with another PG.

I think Maya Benham reopened her commitment.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/05/14 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Thanks. Prospects Nation still has her listed as going to Louisville.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/05/14 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke. She will definitely start with Lambert considering the complete absence of elite guards with the departure of Jones. Coupled with the arrival this year of quality bigs, I think the talent level of the overall team rivals that of the only other contender with comparable talent, ND. I doubt she is afraid of the competition but rather I believe she welcomes it so when presented with a clear choice to compete right away like she has her entire young career then Duke presents a clear choice, the ability to start as she always has. Considering the differences between Duke and ND are so minute in the Program itself any perceived advantage could very well be the tipping point.

Plus four of her teams are in the South with ND being about equidistant from Douglasville as three of the other choices indicating to me anyway, that proximity to home is important to her. Duke of all the choices is the closest to home. Another tipping point.

As far as why not UCONN, to me unknown, maybe it as simple as she wants to be as close to home as possible while playing for an elite team. Considering her final five choices, one could make a strong argument for that but not the only argument as evident by the discussion in previous posts on this thread.

So Duke, been wrong before so not surprised if I am wrong again after all only a few weeks ago I thought it was ND upon cursory review. See me tomorrow. Wink

PostPosted: 08/06/14 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
LegoMyEggo wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Thanks. Prospects Nation still has her listed as going to Louisville.

No problem. If I remember correctly she made her commitment to Louisville very early on so im not surprised by her decision especially with Louisville recruiting more elite players so heavily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: