RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee Vols OOC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/31/14 7:39 pm    ::: Tennessee Vols OOC Reply Reply with quote

11/09/14 vs. Carson-Newman College ^ Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
11/14/14 vs. Penn Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
11/17/14 vs. Oral Roberts Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
11/21/14 vs. Winthrop Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
11/24/14 vs. Tennessee State Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
11/26/14 at Chattanooga Chattanooga, Tenn. TBA
11/30/14 at Texas Austin Texas TBA
12/03/14 vs. Saint Francis (PA) Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
12/07/14 at Lipscomb Nashville, Tenn. TBA
12/14/14 at Rutgers Piscataway, N.J. TBA
12/16/14 vs. Wichita State Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
12/20/14 vs. Stanford Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
12/28/14 vs. Oregon State Knoxville, Tenn. TBA
01/19/15 at Notre Dame Notre Dame, Ind. TBA

Highlights include Texas, Stanford, Notre Dame

Rutgers and Oregon State are playing both Tennessee and UNC this upcoming season.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 07/31/14 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That looks like an unusually weak schedule by Lady Vol standards.

PostPosted: 07/31/14 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
That looks like an unusually weak schedule by Lady Vol standards.

Yeah, I am a wee bit unimpressed. And I'm usually not. Although Wichita State and Chattanooga may not be the weak sisters people think they are. Both made it to the second round last year IIRC.

PostPosted: 08/01/14 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wichita State earned a bid as an automatic qualifier, winner of the Missouri Valley, not likely to have made it on their own strength. Lost in First round to PSU.

Chattanooga, similar story, auto qualifier as winner of the Southern Conference, and lost in first round to Syracuse.With Foster, they are probably getting better, but not yet out of cupcake territory.

Stanford, and ND are legitimate opponents, along with Texas.

I have hopes for Rutgers, but they aren't there yet.

Oregon State is an up and comer, probably the 4th strongest on the list.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/01/14 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every game but three is in Tennessee!
lvf08

PostPosted: 08/01/14 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't seem too challenging.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/01/14 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
Doesn't seem too challenging.

I have to disagree. When you play in a challenging conference, having three or four difficult games in the non-conference portion is plenty. Tenn has to play S. Carolina, Ky, Texas A&M, LSU, UGA, Arkansas, Vanderbilt in conference. Adding ND, Texas, Stanford and Rutgers to that makes for a very challenging schedule.

Three or four good games is about right for a team in a really good conference. Frankly I think that what Duke is doing this year is silly and gains them nothing.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/01/14 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The abrupt ratcheting up of the difficulty level is amusing. Understandable- you'd want to get them ready for the SEC- but the difference between the first half of December and the second half of December is quite stark.

PostPosted: 08/01/14 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Wichita State earned a bid as an automatic qualifier, winner of the Missouri Valley, not likely to have made it on their own strength. Lost in First round to PSU.

Chattanooga, similar story, auto qualifier as winner of the Southern Conference, and lost in first round to Syracuse.With Foster, they are probably getting better, but not yet out of cupcake territory.

Stanford, and ND are legitimate opponents, along with Texas.

I have hopes for Rutgers, but they aren't there yet.

Oregon State is an up and comer, probably the 4th strongest on the list.

If I remember right, WSU gave PSU a pretty good fight before losing, and kept Maggie Lucas in check for much of the game. They are coached by former Lady Vol Jody Adams and one of her assistants is former Lady Vol Bridgette Gordon, which may be one reason for having them on the schedule. Chattanooga is a relatively traditional opponent for UT, and having Jim Foster as their coach may ratchet up their competitive level a bit, though they should still be ultimately beatable. Never a cupcake, though, at the beginning of the season when a team is still finding its legs. Rutgers? Not yet. And we'll see about Stanford, post-Chiney. As for the rest, we know who they are. ND and Texas will be the real tests. OSU? I doubt it, but we'll see. Winthrop, Lipscomb, and ORU are there for the taking. Carson-Newman is an exhibition game; they're a D2 school. right next door, and it's a goodwill gesture. Why St. Francis, I have no earthly idea.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 5:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I agreed with others that UT's schedule is much weaker than before.

Winthrop? Wichita State? Tennessee State? Oral Roberts? Penn? Lipscomb? St. Francis (PA)? Oregon State?

But I can understand why UT scheduled Oregon State - it is for Mercedes Russell. Seriously, I never saw this weak schedule on UT's part. Wow, but again there is always first time for everything.

R-

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/23/14 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Wow. I agreed with others that UT's schedule is much weaker than before.

Winthrop? Wichita State? Tennessee State? Oral Roberts? Penn? Lipscomb? St. Francis (PA)? Oregon State?

But I can understand why UT scheduled Oregon State - it is for Mercedes Russell. Seriously, I never saw this weak schedule on UT's part. Wow, but again there is always first time for everything.

R-

Why would they schedule Oregon State for Mercedes Russell, the game is in Knoxville?

BTW Oregon State is an up and coming team, they aren't there yet, but if they can maintain their level improvement under Scott Rueck it could be the start of a good series for years, assuming of course it's more than just a one game deal. They did after all just advance to the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If OSU turns out to be a continuing series, it could have her back home in her senior year, since she's redshirting this year.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
If OSU turns out to be a continuing series, it could have her back home in her senior year, since she's redshirting this year.

True, but right now at least there is no indication of a return trip, let alone a continuing series, but I think if it is, it has the potential for a good series. Also my guess is they make the agreement for the game or series (depending on what it turns out to be) before it was known or finalized Mercedes Russell would redshirt this season.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/23/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

True, but right now at least there is no indication of a return trip, let alone a continuing series, but I think if it is, it has the potential for a good series. Also my guess is they make the agreement for the game or series (depending on what it turns out to be) before it was known or finalized Mercedes Russell would redshirt this season.

I would think that if Oregon State is traveling to Knoxville this season that the Vols are returning the favor with a trip to Corvallis in 2015-16. Power 5 teams almost always agree to 2-game series at a minimum when scheduling other Power 5 teams. So next season the Vols would be in Corvallis for Nared and Russell. And if it's a 4-game series, then they'd return again for Nared and Russell's senior season.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 08/23/14 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I would think that if Oregon State is traveling to Knoxville this season that the Vols are returning the favor with a trip to Corvallis in 2015-16. Power 5 teams almost always agree to 2-game series at a minimum when scheduling other Power 5 teams. So next season the Vols would be in Corvallis for Nared and Russell. And if it's a 4-game series, then they'd return again for Nared and Russell's senior season.

Well it just so happens:

The Beavers' trip to Tennessee to take on the Lady Vols rounds out their non-conference schedule on Sunday, Dec. 28. OSU is 0-2 against Tennessee, with both previous matchups coming in the state of Oregon. The two schools last met on Dec. 16, 1987, when the No. 3 ranked Lady Vols came away from Gill Coliseum with a 91-56 victory. Tennessee, ranked 14th at the time, also defeated the Beavers at the Giusti Tournament in Portland, 73-62, on Dec. 18, 1981. Oregon State's current series with Tennessee is a home-and-home and the Lady Vols will make a return trip to Gill in 2015-16.

Google. http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2014/07/oregon_state_beavers_womens_ba_3.html

ridor

PostPosted: 08/23/14 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF, when will you admit that I was right? Smile

R-

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/23/14 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
GEF, when will you admit that I was right? Smile

R-

Well since I never said you were wrong and I simply asked you a question, I don't understand the point of your question.

Edited: I reread my post in response to summertime blues and if you are referring to that, then yes I was wrong, there is an indication now for a home and home.

BTW I still think it could be a great continuing series, if they chose to continue it past the current home and home agreement.

ridor

PostPosted: 08/23/14 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I must admit I thought it'd be more interesting if Lady Vols gets to play U of Oregon than Oregon State.

Oregon has a fairly good program since 1980s despite the fact that it got a bad coach in Paul Westhead. They went to NCAA Tournaments 12 times, won WNIT in 2002, won NWIT in 1989.

They played Tennessee only once and that was in NCAA Tournament in Knoxville, a 76-59 win for Lady Vols. And Oregon is going to be back in the spotlight because they took Kelly Graves out of Gonzaga to coach at OU.

As for Oregon State, er ... who?

R-

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/23/14 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
I must admit I thought it'd be more interesting if Lady Vols gets to play U of Oregon than Oregon State.

Oregon has a fairly good program since 1980s despite the fact that it got a bad coach in Paul Westhead. They went to NCAA Tournaments 12 times, won WNIT in 2002, won NWIT in 1989.

They played Tennessee only once and that was in NCAA Tournament in Knoxville, a 76-59 win for Lady Vols. And Oregon is going to be back in the spotlight because they took Kelly Graves out of Gonzaga to coach at OU.

As for Oregon State, er ... who?

R-

Well Oregon is a lot closer to Springfield, OR than Oregon State is, so that would have been the ideal school going just based off location. Oregon State just played in the Pac-12 Tournament Championship game, advanced the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament and they finished #25 in the final USA Today Coaches Poll, so they currently are definitely the better team, and if they continue to improve as they have in just the last 2 years they could consistently be a top 20 team or even higher.

I'm not saying Oregon is going to be bad, but they are not at the level of Oregon State right now. It will be interesting to see how both teams come out next season, especially with a few players from Oregon State getting international experience this summer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: