RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pauley Pavilion Under Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/29/14 10:03 pm    ::: Pauley Pavilion Under Water Reply Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/07/29/water-main-break-ucla/13342473/

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/30/14 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I can't imagine all that water sitting on the wood court is good for it. Hopefully there isn't too much structural damage, especially after the huge investment they just made in that facility.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/30/14 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/30/14 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Driving in to work this morning one radio report said the floor buckled in Pauley and will need major work. I haven't heard it on any other station.

WVB has their first home game scheduled for September 23rd.

For those not familiar with Pauley when you enter the main entrance you would have to walk down the aisles about 25 rows to reach the floor.

Also, the 2nd picture shown above, with water cascading down the steps, leads to a parking lot under a practice field. Many cars were down there and are under water.

Last edited by IM in OC on 07/30/14 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/30/14 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where did they play the year that Pauley was being renovated? I'm guessing it's going to happen again this season.

The locker rooms and public areas are under water as well.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/30/14 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Where did they play the year that Pauley was being renovated? I'm guessing it's going to happen again this season.

The woman played at Wooden Center, next to Pauley and it only holds 1500-2000 people. I understand that was also damaged. The men played at the LA Sports Arena, next to USC.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/30/14 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw those pictures as well. Who knows how far the water has reached and the last thing you want to do is not make sure every last thing is dry. The mildew and issues that would ensue down the road would be an absolute nightmare.

Man, this sucks for UCLA. So, besides the volleyball and 2 hoops teams, is there any other sport (wrestling?) that also calls Pauley home?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 07/30/14 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I saw those pictures as well. Who knows how far the water has reached and the last thing you want to do is not make sure every last thing is dry. The mildew and issues that would ensue down the road would be an absolute nightmare.

Man, this sucks for UCLA. So, besides the volleyball and 2 hoops teams, is there any other sport (wrestling?) that also calls Pauley home?

I guess gymnastics, but I have never been to an event.
I am sure PatsweetPat knows.

I am a fan of So Cal sports. Pat bleeds blue and gold.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/30/14 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The worst part about the whole thing is that LA is in the middle of a drought, and there go thousands upon thousands of gallons of water.

PostPosted: 07/30/14 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Pauley Pavilion is home to:
Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball
Men's Volleyball
Women's Volleyball
Women's Gymnastics

The women's volleyball team has only one game scheduled in Pauley Pavilion this season, the rest are in the Wooden Center. The Wooden Center was also damaged, but I don't know how badly or if the court was affected by it.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/30/14 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball
Men's Volleyball
Women's Volleyball
Women's Gymnastics

The women's volleyball team has only one game scheduled in Pauley Pavilion this season, the rest are in the Wooden Center. The Wooden Center was also damaged, but I don't know how badly or if the court was affected by it.

I hope the locker rooms for all those teams aren't messed up...that's always the "home away from home" for so many players. Wouldn't be fun for all of them to be displaced.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/30/14 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball
Men's Volleyball
Women's Volleyball
Women's Gymnastics

I hope the locker rooms for all those teams aren't messed up...that's always the "home away from home" for so many players. Wouldn't be fun for all of them to be displaced.

Only men's and women's basketball has locker rooms in Pauley Pavilion, gymnastics' locker room is in Wooden and men's and women's volleyball is in the Acosta Athletic Training Complex. I haven't heard anything about Acosta, but it is right next to Pauley, I'd assume it had some damage as well, and like the courts in Wooden, I don't know if the locker room was affected either.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/30/14 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
IM in OC wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball
Men's Volleyball
Women's Volleyball
Women's Gymnastics

Locker rooms are flooded.

Beemer

PostPosted: 07/30/14 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just goes to show how incredibly destructive water can be.

This is going to cost UCLA a fortune Sad

PostPosted: 07/30/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
The worst part about the whole thing is that LA is in the middle of a drought, and there go thousands upon thousands of gallons of water.

I thought about that when I saw that in the middle of this flood, they had out a big hose using water to wash the dirt off the walkways where they had just squeegeed off the flood water, thereby adding even more water to the mess, all in the middle of a drought.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/30/14 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, what a mess.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 07/30/14 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

The AD announced today that Pauley will be ready in time for the mens and women's' WBB seasons.

This sucks, but UCLA will rise.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/31/14 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The AD announced today that Pauley will be ready in time for the mens and women's' WBB seasons.

Does that mean in time for the official start of practice or for the first scheduled games? Do the teams practice on that court, in a separate practice facility within Pauley or a completely different facility?

Brinx

PostPosted: 08/01/14 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Does that mean in time for the official start of practice or for the first scheduled games? Do the teams practice on that court, in a separate practice facility within Pauley or a completely different facility?

Alternate plans for fall sports and practices are in the works, so I'm guessing it will be closer to first scheduled games. (Excluding the Sep. WVB game)

Drake Stadium was also flooded, so track & field and soccer could be affected too.

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/07/30/ucla-flooding-damages-pauley-pavilion-other-athletic-facilities-0

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 08/01/14 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

The teams usually practice in Pauley, but I don't know that that's exclusively the case. I think they sometimes practice in what used to be called the Men's Gym, and maybe sometimes in the Wooden Center too.

In other news: Pammer pitches in!

From today's LA Times...

Quote:
This scene from the women's basketball locker room Tuesday night was typical:

While water trickled steadily from ceilings and air vents, Pam Walker, director of basketball operations, squeegeed next to Jonah Badrna, a custodian.

"Do you think we're getting somewhere?" she asked Badrna.

He shrugged, water dripping on his head as he worked.

"No," he replied.

"OK," Walker said.

Both kept working.

"We had volunteers, we had staff, we had our student athletes in there with squeegees," Guerrero said. "It was really a wonderful thing to see."

Big ups to DBO Pam, and to all the folks who jumped in to mitigate the damage to UCLA Basketball's historic showplace. Pauley will be ready for 2014-15!

Patrick Meighan
UCLA Class of '95

Brinx

PostPosted: 08/01/14 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Latest from UCLA:

Quote:

The Drake Stadium track is fully functional and has been restored to its original condition. We will continue to monitor the track surface and our soccer field grass to make sure that there are no late-onset issues that develop.

The Hall of Fame at the J.D. Morgan Center will receive new flooring and minor repairs in the coming weeks. No displays or trophies were affected at any time during this incident.

The Gifford Golf Practice Facility will continue its clean-up efforts with assistance from professional golf groundskeepers who are helping to restore the practice green and bunkers.

The Bud Knapp Football Complex and Acosta Athletic Complex will be fully operational for the return of football after the Bruins break camp in San Bernardino in a few weeks.

Collins Court in the John Wooden Center will receive a new floor and is expected to be ready for use by early November. We are currently evaluating all of our options for women's volleyball home games affected by the work on Collins.

Repairs to the interior of Pauley Pavilion are ongoing. In the coming weeks, the playing surface, locker rooms and other ancillary areas, as well as the Pavilion Club will all be addressed.

The entire wood floor at Pauley Pavilion will be replaced with a new state-of-the-art court. Factoring in order, delivery, acclimation and installation time, it is our expectation that the new floor will be ready for play by the end of October. It is also our expectation that no regular season men’s or women’s basketball games will be missed as a result of the court replacement.

We continue to work with our partners in campus recreation to ensure that all of our teams displaced by the installation of a new court will have access to appropriate practice facilities while the work continues.

Teams will def. be practicing elsewhere. Here's to a speedy but good recovery!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: