RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Top 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/02/14 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
I'm amazed that people think losing Hartley and Dolson won't affect UConn at all

Yet you considered Dolson a low draft pick. Smile

The difference between college and the WNBA is immense. Many very good, and very important, college players have had no impact on the WNBA. (And I think Dolson was considered the eighth best senior in the country by WNBA teams, though I'm too lazy to look up her draft slot ... but eight, nine, whatever, that's still pretty high.Z)

Clay, you're acting like I have something to learn from you when you're just discovering this stuff yourself. Meighan Simmons?

I should have realized you know much more than I do ... my apologies.

PostPosted: 08/02/14 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have UConn's 14-15 roster? All that's on their site is 13-14.

Others:

South Carolina
Michigan State
Duke
DePaul
Syracuse
UCLA
Rutgers
Iowa

PostPosted: 08/02/14 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Others:

South Carolina
Michigan State
Duke
DePaul
Syracuse
UCLA
Rutgers
Iowa

That's a funny roster in that it's not 13-14 because there's no Dolson, Hartley, or Banks and they added the transfer Butler. If you want it to be 14-15 roster, just add the 4 freshman:

Sadie Edwards
Gabby Williams
Kia Nurse
Courtney Ekmark

UConn is notorious for having incorrect heights listed, both and taller and shorter than actual heights, so I wouldn't trust that anyway.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 08/03/14 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

The teams that didn't lose as much seem pretty far behind, at least if last year is any indication of their readiness to compete. South Carolina lost no one, but they were far behind UConn last season, and I doubt that Staley can make up that kind of ground on Geno.

Agree on South Carolina. I re-watched the S16 game against UNC and didn't see a team on the verge of being considered the best in the country. UNC was not a particularly good defensive team last year but had little difficulty holding a bigger SC team to less than 60 points. SC's pace and perimeter shooting/floor spacing have to improve. It'll be interesting to see how Staley uses A'ja Wilson.

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 08/03/14 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Tennessee
2. South Carolina
3. Notre Dame
4. UCONN
5. Texas
6. UCLA
7. Ohio State
8. North Carolina
9. Duke
10. Texas A&M
11. Rutgers
12. Kentucky
13. Baylor
14. Stanford
15. Louisville
16. Florida St
17. Michigan St
18. Maryland
19. Nebraska
20. Minnesota
21. Iowa
22. North Carolina State
23. Cal
24. USC Cal.
25. TCU

pilight

PostPosted: 08/03/14 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:
I'm amazed that people think losing Hartley and Dolson won't affect UConn at all

Yet you considered Dolson a low draft pick. Smile

Low 1st round. That's still one of the top players in the country.

PostPosted: 08/03/14 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ladyvol777 wrote:
11. Rutgers

Not to say I wouldn't be delighted, but that would be a surprise to me.

Colerr

PostPosted: 08/03/14 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
11. Rutgers

Not to start the season, for sure. But I think we could be Top 15 by season's end.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/03/14 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
11. Rutgers

Do you not think they should be ranked at all pre season or only that 11 is too high?

Look at what you're left with after number 18 or 20. Rutgers has as good a claim as a bunch of others to one of those last half dozen spots.

On the other hand it's also probably as easy to leave them off the list as it is a number of other teams.

Just not sure from your posts here what you think should be done with them in these premature polls.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/04/14 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can not decide which team should be ranked number one. UCONN is a good team. Question is are they a great team? They lost a ton of talent and experience with the graduation of Dolson and Hartley. If Stokes and Chong can step in and play at a high level then UCONN should be a great team and be the favorite to win the National Championship again.

I am a fan of the current South Carolina team. They have all the ingredients to be a great team. The production from their guards need to improve in order for them become a great basketball team. The overall basketball IQ for this team needs to improve also for them to become a great basketball team.

Basketball IQ is the key ingredient that separate the good teams from the great teams. This is the area that makes Geno a great coach. Every year his teams always display a basketball IQ that is superior to the teams they play against.

I will have to wait until the season begins to get a feel on how the top teams play to make any kind predictions. Give me five games and I will give my predictions then. I got five on it! Wink

PostPosted: 08/04/14 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Ladyvol777 wrote:
11. Rutgers

Do you not think they should be ranked at all pre season or only that 11 is too high?

Look at what you're left with after number 18 or 20. Rutgers has as good a claim as a bunch of others to one of those last half dozen spots.

On the other hand it's also probably as easy to leave them off the list as it is a number of other teams.

Just not sure from your posts here what you think should be done with them in these premature polls.

The short answer is that I don't know where they should be. I do think it's unlikely they get ranked in the top 15 in the preseason polls - they weren't ranked at the end of last year, after all.

I like the direction the team is going, and I think the WNIT was good for the team because they were young. I just don't know how much better they're going to be this year.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 08/04/14 7:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why on earth are people putting Ohio State in the preseason top 25...and even in the top 10? They are coming off a not-so-good season and are pretty darn young (1 sr, 2 jrs). By the end of the year they could end up a top 25 team, but no way should they be considered among the best teams at the beginning of the season.

beknighted

PostPosted: 08/04/14 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Why on earth are people putting Ohio State in the preseason top 25...and even in the top 10? They are coming off a not-so-good season and are pretty darn young (1 sr, 2 jrs). By the end of the year they could end up a top 25 team, but no way should they be considered among the best teams at the beginning of the season.

The coach, I presume.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/04/14 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

The coach, I presume.

I think they will be a top 25 team come April, but I don't think they are one until Kianna Holland and Shayla Cooper become eligible in the second semester, and hence, they aren't one pre-season.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/04/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Others:

South Carolina
Michigan State
Duke
DePaul
Syracuse
UCLA
Rutgers
Iowa

UConn's updated roster is now available: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/conn-w-baskbl-mtt.html

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/04/14 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Others:

South Carolina
Michigan State
Duke
DePaul
Syracuse
UCLA
Rutgers
Iowa

UConn's updated roster is now available: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/conn-w-baskbl-mtt.html
UCONN has a very guard dominated team. If any of their forwards or centers get hurt they are screwed!

PostPosted: 08/05/14 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Others:

South Carolina
Michigan State
Duke
DePaul
Syracuse
UCLA
Rutgers
Iowa

UCONN has a very guard dominated team. If any of their forwards or centers get hurt they are screwed!

I agree we are thin in the post, but last year we played with one sub, basically. In addition to that, Geno says he never has enough guards and I think he likes a team with that many guards. That big UCONN line-up last year, which was awesome because we had the right pieces to the puzzle, was something I've never seen us have before.

As for Dolson and Hartley and pilight's point, I agree, we lose a lot with them having graduated. But nobody has what UCONN has returning. Geno will have to generate his offense a little differently this year as everything revolved around Dolson at the high post, but I'm sure he has thought of that. With that being said, nobody has what we have returning either. Jefferson is arguably the best PG, a healthy and in shape KML will probably be back to her 1st team AA status, is the best shooter in the country and Breanna Stewart is the biggest match up nightmare in WCBB....who happens to also be the best player. I'm actually really excited to see what Stokes will do this year. I think she could be a real force on the boards and the defensive end, and if she can five UCONN a double-double almost every time out, this could be a fun season.

With all that being said, my top 5 is as follows:

1. UCONN
2. Notre Dame
3. South Carolina
4. Tennessee
5. North Carolina (even without Diamond)

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/05/14 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I stated in an earlier post. With UCONN three starters returning they will be a good team. The question remains will they be a championship quality team? Whichever players replace Dolson and Hartley will need to bring a high level of play and production in order for them to repeat as National Champions. Cool

PostPosted: 08/05/14 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
As I stated in an earlier post. With UCONN three starters returning they will be a good team. The question remains will they be a championship quality team? Whichever players replace Dolson and Hartley will need to bring a high level of play and production in order for them to repeat as National Champions. Cool

A good team? LOL Gee, don't go overboard. LOL UConn has questions to answer for sure. Can Stokes play long minutes? Can Chong get over her stage fright? And of course freshmen are always a mystery. But remember that UConn could have scored 10 points a game less last year and still gone undefeated. They may regress a bit but they are falling from a much higher peak than every team not named Notre Dame.

2 years ago Notre Dame lost 3 senior or 5th year players after losing the NC game and the general perception was that they would be rebuilding. They again made the FF and the NC game. Last summer the general feeling was that the loss of Diggins would hurt and they were picked to finish 3rd in the ACC. Instead they made the ACC, considered by many the top competitive conference, look like a bunch of HS teams. Then they made it to the NC game for the third year in a row.

UConn may only have 3 returning starters but their 2 best players are still there in Lewis and Stewart and they have an experienced PG returning. Stokes more than showed her ability during Lewis's injury. Finally, they have 5 potential 2 guards. Personally I see Chong emerging as a starter. She has all the tools and only needed to learn to play without the ball last year. Despite sitting during the NCAA's, Chong showed enough as a freshman to suggest that with a normal sophomore jump she could be not only a great scorer but also the backup PG.

UConn may not win the NC. But barring injuries they will field a championship quality team.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 08/05/14 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some mid-majors (out side of UCONN), that could be ranked:

Gonzaga: Promoted longtime assistant coach Lisa Fortier to Head Cheese. Zs return 2 double digit scorers including 6-4 F Sunny Greinacher and top reserve Lindsay Sherbet. Lots of size but have to figure out who plays the point.

Dayton: Jabir has 4 double digit players returning lead by guard Andrea Hoover and forward Ally Mallot.

James Madison: graduated leading star Kirby Burkholder but return three starters who scored in double digits.

DePaul: Loaded with 5 returners who scored over 9 point/game and who canshoot the longball. Need to find a solid inside presence to replace leading scere Jasmine Perry.

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 08/05/14 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Some mid-majors (out side of UCONN), that could be ranked:

Gonzaga: Promoted longtime assistant coach Lisa Fortier to Head Cheese. Zs return 2 double digit scorers including 6-4 F Sunny Greinacher and top reserve Lindsay Sherbet. Lots of size but have to figure out who plays the point.

Dayton: Jabir has 4 double digit players returning lead by guard Andrea Hoover and forward Ally Mallot.

James Madison: graduated leading star Kirby Burkholder but return three starters who scored in double digits.

DePaul: Loaded with 5 returners who scored over 9 point/game and who canshoot the longball. Need to find a solid inside presence to replace leading scere Jasmine Perry.

DePaul brings in a top 100 recruit Marte Grays who will help fill Penny's spot. She may not have the offensive skill set Penny has, but will bring better defense and rebounding. Elri Leibenberg is at least 6"5 and is very athletic for a big girl. DePaul should be better this year. What we have lacked is rebounding, which this recruiting class has upgraded.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 08/05/14 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome, Shmermerer!

Shmermerer1

PostPosted: 08/05/14 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome, Shmermerer!

Thanks!! I actually had an account here awhile ago and one day it stopped working. I decided to just make a new account. Glad to be back on here!!

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 08/05/14 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two of the top three teams IMHO , Notre Dame and South Carolina are counting on freshman to break through to take them to the promise land. UCONN, although they will have freshman play significant minutes insofar as accumulating minutes are no where near as reliant on the freshman as the other two are.

They will have arguably by the season's end three first team All Americans starting for them, plus sufficient backup in Stokes and Tuck who are interchangeable parts. Geno will allow Tuck to settle in to be ready for the push in March. Even with an unknown as the fifth starter in either Chong or one of the freshman, the aforementioned AA trio plus either Stokes or Tuck will dominant any five in the country.

UCONN will win the National Championship with the all the rosters as they are presently constituted.

PostPosted: 08/05/14 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

A good team? LOL Gee, don't go overboard. LOL UConn has questions to answer for sure. Can Stokes play long minutes? Can Chong get over her stage fright? And of course freshmen are always a mystery. But remember that UConn could have scored 10 points a game less last year and still gone undefeated. They may regress a bit but they are falling from a much higher peak than every team not named Notre Dame.

2 years ago Notre Dame lost 3 senior or 5th year players after losing the NC game and the general perception was that they would be rebuilding. They again made the FF and the NC game. Last summer the general feeling was that the loss of Diggins would hurt and they were picked to finish 3rd in the ACC. Instead they made the ACC, considered by many the top competitive conference, look like a bunch of HS teams. Then they made it to the NC game for the third year in a row.

UConn may only have 3 returning starters but their 2 best players are still there in Lewis and Stewart and they have an experienced PG returning. Stokes more than showed her ability during Lewis's injury. Finally, they have 5 potential 2 guards. Personally I see Chong emerging as a starter. She has all the tools and only needed to learn to play without the ball last year. Despite sitting during the NCAA's, Chong showed enough as a freshman to suggest that with a normal sophomore jump she could be not only a great scorer but also the backup PG.

UConn may not win the NC. But barring injuries they will field a championship quality team.
Keep hope alive! Wink

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: