RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

No love for GG?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:23 am    ::: No love for GG? Reply Reply with quote

This week it was announced that former Texas Women's Had Coach-Former Duke Women's Head Coach-Former Purdue Asst. Coach Gail Goestenkors was selected to the Women's Basketball Hall of fame. THe announcement came the same day that she resigned as Asst. Coach to the LA Sparks amidst the firing of Carol Ross.

However, it's difficult to find anyone trumpeting her success.

Not on the Texas website where she took over after Hall of Famer Jody Conradt stepped down. Goestenkors resigned (retired) from this position after 4 season.

Not on the Duke website, which really, is where most her success has come from (leading Duke to 4 Final Fours and 10 consecutive appearances in at least the Sweet 16 of the NCAAs). She stamped her name on this program.

Not at Purdue where she assisted legendary Coach Lin Dunn.

However, if you go to the website for Saginaw Valley State, on the womens' basketball page you find:

http://www.svsucardinals.com/sports/wbkb/2014-15/releases/2014072428vyaj

Quote:
Goestenkors was a member of the Saginaw Valley State women's basketball team from 1981-85. She was selected as an NAIA All-American in 1984 and 85 and was named the Conference MVP in the 1985 season. She played in 126 career games as a Cardinal, scoring 1,158 points while recording 469 assists and 348 steals. Goestenkors was a member of the Academic All-Conference Team as well. The team's record during her playing tenure was an outstanding 114-13, highlighted by an NAIA National runner-up finish in the 1984-85 season, as well as a third-place finish in 1983-84.

Granted her departures from Duke and Texas were not great examples of goodbye-parting-is-such-sweet sorrow. Her Duke exodus was a whirlwind affair after an early loss in the NCAAs and amidst rumors that Duke wasn't willing to pay enough to keep her in house. Her retirement from Texas was probably just ahead of her being fired after four years of lackluster team development.

She's a woman without a country. Well, almost. She does have Saginaw Valley.

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/26/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am not the world's greatest GG fan, but that's kind of pathetic, particularly at Duke.

I can't speak for other institutions, but Rutgers has a banner honoring Theresa Grentz for her induction into the WBHOF, and she was inducted well after she left.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/26/14 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
I am not the world's greatest GG fan, but that's kind of pathetic, particularly at Duke.

I can't speak for other institutions, but Rutgers has a banner honoring Theresa Grentz for her induction into the WBHOF, and she was inducted well after she left.

Not sure what you're expecting at Duke. Coach G's pictures were all taken down almost before she left the building. Someone feels intimidated by Coach G's success...as if the success of Coach G somehow diminishes any success she manages to have. Those of us who have finally given up on this program under current leadership celebrate the recognition of Coach G. We wistfully remember when Coach G had our team among the elite in the country. Those days are gone.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/26/14 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm curious what folks think about her HOF selection. When I first saw it my reaction was nice career, lots of success, but is that really HOF material? I don't have a strong feeling either way, but I'd like to know what the standards for selection are.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/26/14 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Not sure what you're expecting at Duke. Coach G's pictures were all taken down almost before she left the building. Someone feels intimidated by Coach G's success...as if the success of Coach G somehow diminishes any success she manages to have. Those of us who have finally given up on this program under current leadership celebrate the recognition of Coach G. We wistfully remember when Coach G had our team among the elite in the country. Those days are gone.

I wonder how deeply and broadly the decision to not acknowledge GG goes. IS it McCallie? I know she is aware of comparisons of her program to Gail's but I don't know if she would have pull to keep the department from acknowledging GG's efforts. Is it at the AD level? White wasn't the AD when Goestenkors left but his predecessor, Alleva, didn't do much (anything?) to keep her in Durham. Or is it the person in the Athletic Department who's bigger than the AD? I don't know, just askin???

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I lean toward Art's sentiment in that I was mildly surprised by her inclusion. I was further surprised that she was the lede as the story was presented, seemingly over Lisa Leslie? My guess is she is pretty tight with influential members of the committee. Clearly, she had success, so I guess it's fine.

The other part that came to me when thinking about this is that with UConn's domination and the seemingly shrinking pool of elite talent to supply other teams, as the years go on, resumes for coaches getting inducted may not be quite as "Wow!". I would think any coach that wins a national championship is guaranteed entry at this point, because there just aren't many.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
I would think any coach that wins a national championship is guaranteed entry at this point, because there just aren't many.

Winning a D-I national championship has always been guaranteed entry for any eligible coach. If Carolyn Peck had the requisite 20 years of coaching experience, she'd be in.

PostPosted: 07/27/14 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know a guy who is quite plugged into the highest levels of the Duke alumni association. He tells a rather colorful story about the primary reason GG was pressured out of Duke. I don't know if it's true, so I won't repeat it--but the broader gist is that certain powerful alums were behind much of the pressure. If that's true, it would at least explain the continuing, post-Alleva shunning of GG.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/27/14 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Purdue and Lin Dunn can make up, I have to think any coach-institution rift can be healed.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/27/14 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing she was pressured out. At the time it happened, GG and her people couldn't trumpet loud enough that she was joining the million $ per year coaching club and that she was taking her rightful place next to Pat and Geno. Several TV personalities were all but guaranteeing national championships for Texas.

Actually, Texas has a real chance to be a contender with the players Karen Aston is bringing in.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/27/14 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LegoMyEggo wrote:
I have a hard time believing she was pressured out. At the time it happened, GG and her people couldn't trumpet loud enough that she was joining the million $ per year coaching club and that she was taking her rightful place next to Pat and Geno. Several TV personalities were all but guaranteeing national championships for Texas.

Actually, Texas has a real chance to be a contender with the players Karen Aston is bringing in.

What else would GG and friends say? "She was forced out and somehow convinced Texas to overpay her dramatically?"

But Glenn, such hints can lead to strange thoughts. Why would the alumni not like her? She had 234 cats in her house? She wore cowboy boots with spurs to practice? She got drunk at fraternity keggers? She wrote very bad poetry in German?

Please, tell us more ...

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I know a guy who is quite plugged into the highest levels of the Duke alumni association. He tells a rather colorful story about the primary reason GG was pressured out of Duke. I don't know if it's true, so I won't repeat it--but the broader gist is that certain powerful alums were behind much of the pressure. If that's true, it would at least explain the continuing, post-Alleva shunning of GG.

Cannot overemphasize how false this

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/27/14 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I say, I don't know whether it's true or false. I do know my friend claims that he is personal friends with the huge donor who applied most of the pressure.

In any event, the Texas job was open at the same time, Texas was interested in Goestenkors, and she accepted the job.

A Duke Chronicle article at the time minimized the Texas financial lure, saying: "A source familiar with Goestenkors' thinking said the recently divorced coach heavily weighed her personal life in the decision."

I also find it mildly interesting that Goestenkors for some reason felt it necessary to assert: "The administration has not pushed me out the door or pressured me in any way shape or form." Why would she say that unless there were stories afloat about pressure?
Howee

PostPosted: 07/29/14 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hearsay + Hypotheticals = Mythology. Interesting, but seldom Real.

Gail is a class act. She was one of The Best, in her heyday, and she did it in a way that didn't seem to irritate people like .... well, like some others coaches we all know and love.

Speaking of *others*, consider that, at her peak, GG was of the status as a Geno, Pat, Tara, Kim, Jodi, or Sylvia. Then, after years of successful recruiting and program building....there's a rift, and she's dethroned, taken away from everything she built there at Duke. That she encountered less than stellar results in TX isn't the least bit surprising. The exact same thing would have happened to Geno, Pat, Tara, Kim, and Sylvia. Guaranteed. Even Jodi lost her hold on TX.

Her collegiate record stands as an objective testament to her professional skill. Her many other contributions include working with the pros, and on Team USA.

I didn't think you had to be popular to qualify for the HOF. Just Damned Good. And she is. Cool

PostPosted: 07/29/14 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I didn't think you had to be popular to qualify for the HOF. Just Damned Good. And she is. Cool

If you think she deserves the HOF, maybe you can help me by explaining what the standards for selection are.

Because I have to disagree with your statement that "GG was of the status as a Geno, Pat, Tara, Kim, Jodi, or Sylvia." There is a distinction as wide as the Grand Canyon between her and each of those coaches. Each of them has a National Championship ring.

A National Championship is probably an automatic qualifier for the HOF. I have my doubts whether "well, she made the final four 4 times" should be.

No one's saying she wasn't successful and didn't have a nice career. But there is supposed to be a distinction between being good and being HOF. Is her record really HOF caliber?

PRballer

PostPosted: 07/29/14 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Debbie Ryan and Chris Weller are in the WBHOF, then Gail absolutely should be.

ScottS

PostPosted: 07/29/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could it be as simple as GG left Duke to Texas for way more $ and Duke doesn't like that she left?

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/29/14 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:

If you think she deserves the HOF, maybe you can help me by explaining what the standards for selection are.

Because I have to disagree with your statement that "GG was of the status as a Geno, Pat, Tara, Kim, Jodi, or Sylvia." There is a distinction as wide as the Grand Canyon between her and each of those coaches. Each of them has a National Championship ring.

A National Championship is probably an automatic qualifier for the HOF. I have my doubts whether "well, she made the final four 4 times" should be.

No one's saying she wasn't successful and didn't have a nice career. But there is supposed to be a distinction between being good and being HOF. Is her record really HOF caliber?

There are a couple of coaches with national championships who, it seems to me, don't belong in the HoF, and at least one of them seems unlikely to me to get in (Carolyn Peck) although I would agree that in most cases a national championship coach will have the credentials.

But I don't think you need to have a national championship to be in, any more than a baseball player needs to have a .300 average or a sub-3.00 ERA to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame. 4 Final Fours is pretty darned impressive, and a career .750 winning percentage (just shy of 500 wins, to boot) in the ACC also is awfully good. I don't know how many coaches have 4 Final Four appearances, but for what it's worth there are only 9 schools that have done it (and at least three of them did not have the same coach for all of the appearances).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/29/14 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those are good points. Which is why I asked well up the thread what the standards are (or should be), a question which remains largely unanswered.

There's a serious question of how high the bar should be. Making it too easy might stroke a lot of people's (and fans') egos, but devalues it for the truly deserving. It should really mean something, but it shouldn't be impossible either.

Ryan is almost a perfect match to Goestenkors. About 70% wins, 3 final fours, lots of ACC titles, a Naismith COY. If one should be in, both should. Weller is a tougher case. But I don't think showing you're as good as someone already in means you shoul be in. All that would do is compound the error.

It seems we ought to define what the standards ought to be before we can discuss who meets those standards. My own reaction is that Goestenkors (and Ryan), are pretty borderline.

Peck would be a good discusion too. I think she probably is a lock, but there's a question whether she should be. But again, what are the standards that should be met?

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/29/14 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think with Ryan and Weller, you're talking about two pioneers of the sport. I don't have a problem with GG going in, but I was mildly surprised it came this soon. She did establish Duke on the national scene.

The problem with making it based on hard numbers is that there simply aren't enough great players to go around to allow more coaches to really make runs at Final Fours/National Championships.

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/29/14 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Peck would be a good discusion too. I think she probably is a lock, but there's a question whether she should be. But again, what are the standards that should be met?

I'm curious why you think she should be a lock. Here's her resume as a head coach (I think it's clear she wouldn't be considered as a player):

Purdue 1997-1999 (2 seasons) - Elite 8, National Championship
Orlando Miracle* 1999-2001 (3 seasons) - 44-52, 1 playoff berth, losing in the 1st round
Florida - 2002-2007 (5 seasons) - 72-75, 2 NCAA berths (1-2 record)

*Not sure anyone really considers WNBA coaching in WBHoF decisions, although of course they should.

So, three teams, a national championship at one, the other two with losing records, and a total of 10 years as a head coach. I'm not sure why that would justify putting her in unless you think a national championship is an automatic qualifier.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/29/14 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't say I thought Peck SHOULD be, only that I think she WILL be a lock, yes because of her NC. Given the paucity of coaches with that distinction, my bet is it will be enough regardless of how thin the rest of her resume.

Which is why I think it's a good discussion. How much should longevity count? How does one NC count vs three or four FFs? , Does her broadcast career count towards her contibution to the game? How does her WNBA record factor in, if at all?

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/29/14 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would you vote Mike Thibault in? He is the winningest WNBA coach.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/29/14 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jim Foster is in, due to a long track record of service with both college and USA basketball. I think he had one Final Four at Vanderbilt. A bunch of conference titles at Ohio State.

beknighted

PostPosted: 07/29/14 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I didn't say I thought Peck SHOULD be, only that I think she WILL be a lock, yes because of her NC. Given the paucity of coaches with that distinction, my bet is it will be enough regardless of how thin the rest of her resume.

Which is why I think it's a good discussion. How much should longevity count? How does one NC count vs three or four FFs? , Does her broadcast career count towards her contibution to the game? How does her WNBA record factor in, if at all?

I probably should have written "would" instead of "should." Given everything else, I suspect that most voters would see her national championship as an aberration, not representative of her body of work. Of course, she's still pretty young and hasn't been out of coaching that long, so there's probably still time.

I think that, by nature, the standards for most HoFs are pretty amorphous. (The LPGA HoF actually has set standards based on accumulating points for specific achievements, but so far as I know it's the only one that works that way.) On the whole, they tend to award careers rather than specific achievements - there are lots of people who've won MVP or coach of the year awards who haven't gotten into halls of fame - and this makes sense to me.

Given how few coaches actually make multiple Final Fours, it does seem to me that someone who gets to 3 or 4 has to be at least in the running. In practice, I also think that longevity has to be considered, as it can be an indication of quality (not as definitively in WCBB as MCBB, as we all know, but still it's a factor). Throw in coach of the year awards, national championships (2 definitely should get you in, much though it pains me to say something nice about Kim Mulkey), results in conference play and tournaments (particularly in tougher conferences) and other contributions to the game. (I kind of assume that you're not entirely serious about her broadcast career as a contribution, although in fairness Mel Greenberg did get in as a contributor.)

BTW, apropos of comparisons between GG and Weller, in pretty much every category you could consider GG is comparable or better - for instance, Weller had 1 more win over many more seasons, with a much lower winning percentage and 3 Final Four appearances (one AIAW, 2 NCAA).

To paraphrase Bill James in talking about Don Sutton's entry into the Baseball Hall of Fame, while you certainly shouldn't use the bar of the worst person in the Hall to set who you pick going forward, I think by any reasonable standard GG is as good as you'd want someone to be. Unless you want the coaches in the HoF to consist of Pat, Geno and Tara, everyone is going to have strengths and weaknesses.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: