RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

An article on why there aren't more female coaches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/20/14 1:20 pm    ::: An article on why there aren't more female coaches Reply Reply with quote

http://www.newsleader.com/story/sports/2014/07/12/women-hs-coaches-choosing-family-career/12577915/?utm_campaign=%5B%27July_20__2014%27%5D&utm_source=%5B%27BenchmarkEmail%27%5D&utm_medium=%5B%27email%27%5D

PostPosted: 07/20/14 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My partner was a high school girls basketball coach. She quit when her girls (prior to our relationship) were preschoolers. From what I can tell, coaching is indeed not a very family-friendly profession.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/21/14 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I run a pretty low-key program, in terms of offseason activity, because I think enthusiasm is crucial to long-term success -- and if you play 60 games in the summer, it's hard to be enthusiastic in March, when the games really matter.

Even so, we played 20 games between June 17 and July 19, and had six practices. A nearby public school played many more games in the same span and practices twice a week. Now that the league has ended, the public school will practice twice a week and do conditioning twice a week. (I don't know if they're playing any more tournaments, but I'm guessing they will.)

In the fall, there will be one or two open gyms a week, and many high school coaches will coach club teams. (In much of the state of California, teams can begin official practices Aug. 18, so a couple years ago, a Southern California school had 38 practices before November.)

There are also tournaments and leagues in the fall and the spring.

During the season, we generally go six days a week, two hours a day. Games are scattered in that schedule, usually including one or two tournaments or events that require travel and an overnight stay.

The pay for a California public school coach is usually $2,000 or so, maybe $2,500.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: