RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kalani Brown releases her list of 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/14 8:39 am    ::: Kalani Brown releases her list of 10 Reply Reply with quote

http://pic.twitter.com/tQFRXgFEB3

And I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find Geno had no rude comments about recruits and lists. Oh, almost forgot, it's only a problem when the list doesn't include UConn.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NSA videos show Muffet McGraw didn't clap when she read Kalani Brown's list.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
NSA videos show Muffet McGraw didn't clap when she read Kalani Brown's list.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post of the day, I'm sure.

BTW, what do you think of her list?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

BTW, what do you think of her list?

She definitely has a comfort 'zone.' I wouldn't get too excited if I was a UConn fan.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My feeling and somewhat personal experience is that many of these top recruits put out lists of ten or so mostly as decoy chaff to distract the press. I think most of these recruits have pretty much decided on a school by the summer before their senior year.

The list seems quite reasonable from her perspective--the usual supects plus some good southern schools. I don't believe the University of Houston.

Where has she gone on visits and how often? That will tell the story.

Absent knowing that visit info, I'd guess she stays in Texas, and I suppose I'm a little surprised that UT isn't on her list.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/17/14 9:49 am    ::: # of scholarships Reply Reply with quote

Texas out probably due to their lack of scholarships and number of bigs they are recruiting.

BUfan

PostPosted: 07/17/14 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas A&M

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/17/14 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So no one thinks she's going to stay home and play for LSU? I would think this would be Nikki Caldwell's big recruiting test. Can she keep the local star at home?

And given a couple of the other teams on that list of ten, I'm actually surprised that Tyler Summit and La Tech didn't make the list considering both her parents played basketball there.

BTW, is it set that she's going to play basketball? A year or so ago, she had indicated she was still unsure regarding whether to pursue basketball or volleyball in college.

icey23

PostPosted: 07/18/14 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas A&M or LSU, I do know Jeff Walz is high on her tho.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:

She didn't make the USA team this summer and players that were not ranked as high as her did. I am curious about her work ethic and the progression of her talent. Is she REALLY that good to have a list like she does? Is she a hard worker? Is she overrated?

Not hating, just trying to get a good assessment on her character and basketball acumen. Anyone know?

PostPosted: 07/18/14 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So no one thinks she's going to stay home and play for LSU? I would think this would be Nikki Caldwell's big recruiting test. Can she keep the local star at home?

And given a couple of the other teams on that list of ten, I'm actually surprised that Tyler Summit and La Tech didn't make the list considering both her parents played basketball there.

BTW, is it set that she's going to play basketball? A year or so ago, she had indicated she was still unsure regarding whether to pursue basketball or volleyball in college.

Art, I agree about the recruiting test for Nikki Caldwell. I have my doubts that Nikki can pull it off. Her recruiting classes are hit and miss. If she drops this in state talent, I will be VERY disappointed and concerned about the future of our program. That being said, I still have hopes for Nikki.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
icey23 wrote:

She didn't make the USA team this summer and players that were not ranked as high as her did. I am curious about her work ethic and the progression of her talent. Is she REALLY that good to have a list like she does? Is she a hard worker? Is she overrated?

Not hating, just trying to get a good assessment on her character and basketball acumen. Anyone know?

She did not play well at the tryouts, and apparently didn't play that well for the U16 team the year before.

At the tryouts, she had her shot blocked on a regular basis, which is of course surprising given her size and strength. She simply couldn't keep up with the athletic posts who made the team, and some of the athletic posts who didn't.

I was very high on her last year at this time, but as Bob Corwin would say, I have stock in sell mode right now.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
icey23 wrote:

She didn't make the USA team this summer and players that were not ranked as high as her did. I am curious about her work ethic and the progression of her talent. Is she REALLY that good to have a list like she does? Is she a hard worker? I she overrated?

I've seen one game of her's wasn't to impress she seemed soft but that was her 10th grade year, I plan to catch a few of her games this year. Reporters on twitter rave high on her tho

PostPosted: 07/19/14 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THis is the first I've hard of Brown associated with LSU. I wonder if this is a new development, or if Brown is just including the local big school as a courtesy.

LSU will have Ann Jones (Memphis transfer), this year's incoming AUssie Alliyah Fareo, and 6'2" A'Lisa Jackson (2015) to play the post in 2015 but Brown should trump them all if she gets to Baton Rouge.

icey23

PostPosted: 07/19/14 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
THis is the first I've hard of Brown associated with LSU. I wonder if this is a new development, or if Brown is just including the local big school as a courtesy.

LSU will have Ann Jones (Memphis transfer), this year's incoming AUssie Alliyah Fareo, and 6'2" A'Lisa Jackson (2015) to play the post in 2015 but Brown should trump them all if she gets to Baton Rouge.

I saw Brown at 3 LSU games the past season.

PostPosted: 07/19/14 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

A'Lisa Jackson sign with LSUAlexandria, JUCO

PostPosted: 07/23/14 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm with the poster who said they really have their minds pretty much made up by this time, and I think the U of H is way off the wall.

If her stock does continue to drop, fine with me---maybe it'll give us a better shot at her!!

This single recruit will become, in my opinion the benchmark by which Nikki's recruiting becomes measured. At this point, it's been less than stellar to say the least, and she's done a lot more "back filling" than straight up recruiting. If Bethel, Jones, and Fareo don't produce, it's gonna look even worse, and now she's added a 5'11" forward for '15 from N. Texas of all places. There were alot of excellent players who transferred this off season and we were'nt in the running for any of them. This latest move almost looks as though she's conceding the fact that she's, for the fourth time in four tries, NOT gonna get the quality front court players she needs. She now only has 4 spots left for '15 and 3 need to be bigs. If she doesn't get Brown, she'd better pull in a Mompremier, Degrate, and/or Caliya Robinson or the class will be another disappointment. I would even take the New Orleans girl Troyian Brooks, who isn't on anyone's radar because she missed her entire junior season with academic and discipinary problems, but she does appear to be a pretty solid player. The fact that there has been NOTHING but silence on '15 recruiting does not bode well, particularly considering how many of the top players have already pulled the trigger.

I say if she can't pull in a REALLY GOOD class this year, which is looking less and less likely, we set her loose after this year and spend our $700 grand on something more worthwhile. My rant is finished for now.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/23/14 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't follow the college game as many of you do, and I don't know much about this Kalani Brown gal.

But having said that --- and I'll admit that I'm old-fashioned --- I just do not like it when some high school players in general feel that they have to make a big announcement upon deciding which college they want to go.

Some of you may have seen footage of those "signing days", where a high school athlete signs a letter of intent to go to the college of his/her choice. I can understand how emotional it can be for such a young athlete to go into the next stage of their life. And sometimes, it is an event where several high schoolers are in one place together signing their names. And I seem to recall there was Antonio Logan-El about eight years ago, holding a press conference on one of the ESPN Zone outlets to announce that he was going to make a verbal commitment to the University of Maryland. A press conference for a high schooler? Gimmie a break! And to make matters worse, he spurned Maryland and signed up with Penn State! Not surprisingly, he turned out to be a bust. Mad

I'm starting to think LeBron James' "The Decision" ESPN special several years ago may have started all this. (And ironically, LeBron never went to college!) I do not want to pick on Kalani here, and she's probably a really talented person, and I wish the best for her. But I do not see any justification why a high schooler thinks he/she has to do a big public display just to say what their college choice is going to be. Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/23/14 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
I don't follow the college game as many of you do, and I don't know much about this Kalani Brown gal.

But having said that --- and I'll admit that I'm old-fashioned --- I just do not like it when some high school players in general feel that they have to make a big announcement upon deciding which college they want to go.

Some of you may have seen footage of those "signing days", where a high school athlete signs a letter of intent to go to the college of his/her choice. I can understand how emotional it can be for such a young athlete to go into the next stage of their life. And sometimes, it is an event where several high schoolers are in one place together signing their names. And I seem to recall there was Antonio Logan-El about eight years ago, holding a press conference on one of the ESPN Zone outlets to announce that he was going to make a verbal commitment to the University of Maryland. A press conference for a high schooler? Gimmie a break! And to make matters worse, he spurned Maryland and signed up with Penn State! Not surprisingly, he turned out to be a bust. Mad

I'm starting to think LeBron James' "The Decision" ESPN special several years ago may have started all this. (And ironically, LeBron never went to college!) I do not want to pick on Kalani here, and she's probably a really talented person, and I wish the best for her. But I do not see any justification why a high schooler thinks he/she has to do a big public display just to say what their college choice is going to be. Rolling Eyes

You may not like it, but it's pretty much standard operating procedure for highly regarded recruits these days.

And as for the high school announcements, at a lot of schools, the players are required or at least strongly urged by the school to make their college announcements together at a school assembly. They are annual events organized and run by the school. It's a big deal for the school that the school wants to share with the entire school community.

Sure, there are a lot that get out of hand, especially when they are on TV, and the Logan El was an all-time fiasco. But don't expect twitter or big time announcements to go away. These are kids and it's a heck of a big deal for them and their families to have been wooed by colleges and to be announcing where they are going to be playing. Let them have their moment in the sun. It doesn't hurt much of anything. Don't let a few showboats who carry it too far ruin it for all the rest.

Oh, and yes, this and the LeBron James thing manifest an ESPN mindset, but these announcements have been going on for many many years before that happened. Just like in most other things, WBB is years behind football and MBB, that's all.

Besides, if you want to blame anyone, don't blame the kids, blame the adults who obsess over the college choices of 17 year olds, and who have turned print, internet, and TV recruiting services into a multi-hundred million dollar business.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/23/14 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Art has a great point -- it's more about the school than the individual. It's not that often that a school has a player who's at the BCS level.

I know if my school ever did, we'd go nuts ...

PostPosted: 07/24/14 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tigermojo wrote:
I'm with the poster who said they really have their minds pretty much made up by this time, and I think the U of H is way off the wall.

If her stock does continue to drop, fine with me---maybe it'll give us a better shot at her!!

This single recruit will become, in my opinion the benchmark by which Nikki's recruiting becomes measured. At this point, it's been less than stellar to say the least, and she's done a lot more "back filling" than straight up recruiting. If Bethel, Jones, and Fareo don't produce, it's gonna look even worse, and now she's added a 5'11" forward for '15 from N. Texas of all places. There were alot of excellent players who transferred this off season and we were'nt in the running for any of them. This latest move almost looks as though she's conceding the fact that she's, for the fourth time in four tries, NOT gonna get the quality front court players she needs. She now only has 4 spots left for '15 and 3 need to be bigs. If she doesn't get Brown, she'd better pull in a Mompremier, Degrate, and/or Caliya Robinson or the class will be another disappointment. I would even take the New Orleans girl Troyian Brooks, who isn't on anyone's radar because she missed her entire junior season with academic and discipinary problems, but she does appear to be a pretty solid player. The fact that there has been NOTHING but silence on '15 recruiting does not bode well, particularly considering how many of the top players have already pulled the trigger.

I say if she can't pull in a REALLY GOOD class this year, which is looking less and less likely, we set her loose after this year and spend our $700 grand on something more worthwhile. My rant is finished for now.

THIS! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/25/14 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
tigermojo wrote:

I am so sorry that I disappointed you with my post. Could you be a little more specific about the parts you found so ridiculous, so that I may be a bit more enlightened?

grrlagent

PostPosted: 07/27/14 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tigermojo wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
tigermojo wrote:

I am so sorry that I disappointed you with my post. Could you be a little more specific about the parts you found so ridiculous, so that I may be a bit more enlightened?

"THIS" means agreement. Eyerolls are my feelings toward Nikki's recruiting. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

PostPosted: 07/27/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
tigermojo wrote:
grrlagent wrote:
tigermojo wrote:

"THIS" means agreement. Eyerolls are my feelings toward Nikki's recruiting. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

oops! Cool, I'm glad I'm not totally crazy...

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 07/30/14 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And of course grades are a problem, at least for some schools Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: