RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who starts for your team(s)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/15/14 7:28 pm    ::: Re: Who starts for your team(s)? Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Kids are reporting to summer session so everyone is getting an idea of who will be filling out the rosters for your fave teams.

So who starts? Will the starting line-up from day one be the same as the starting line-up one month in, or at the start of conference?

The Maren Walseth era is beginning at NDSU. It looks like all are back who were eligible to return. I think it will be scrambled eggs in terms of line-ups all season long but my best stab is:

PG Brooke LeMar, Sr. 15.1 ppg*, 37% 3pt*, 160 assists*
G Taylor Thunstedt, FR.
W Bree Whatman, So. 75 assists
W Holly Johnson, Jr. 13.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg
F Mareena Whittle, Jr. 13.4 ppg, 7.1 rpg*, .333% 3pt, 34 steals*

* lead the team in 13-14

It's really a crapshoot as none of the incoming kids are Walseth's recruits so she really doesn't have loyalty in playing them.

Annnnnnddd....already the prediction has been muddied. Bree Whatman has left the Herd for personal reasons and is presumably heading back to Austrailia.

linkster

PostPosted: 07/16/14 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
linkster wrote:
Tennessee

Harrison, Graves, Burdick, Carter & Reynolds.

Masengale is coming off knee surgery and a concussion watch. Russell is coming off foot surgery. Both would start if healthy IMO. But every concussion makes the next one easier to occur and it's tough for a small pg to avoid getting bumped in the head without it limiting her penetration or defense. Hopefully Russell has no more problems but it seems that NBA players with foot problems often have short careers.

Are you suggesting that Tennessee would sit Graves to start Russell? Harrison is far too good not to start and Burdick's range cannot be replaced by sliding Graves to the 3. I guess I'm having trouble figuring out who you would sit and which positions each starter would assume.

Massengale would replace either Carter or Reynolds at pg. I see Russell playing the 4 but she could be the 4 on defense and the 3 on offense so either Burdick or Graves would sit.

I've always been a huge fan of Graves but she needs to become a better scorer. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell at the 5 and Harrison at the 4. It's uncertain that Massengale and Russell will be ready to play long minutes in November. Burdick is an inconsistent scorer but still much better than Graves but no where near Graves as a defensive player and rebounder. Tough call.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 07/16/14 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Louisville:
Sara Hammond
Bria Smith
Jude Schimmel
Myisha Hines-Allen
Mariya Moore

Think this rebuilding year is going to be rough on Louisville and from Walz's comments it seems he expects to start some freshmen so unless their previously injured players Dyer and Vails can be productive inside I think their will at least two freshmen in the starting lineup.Moore could be swapped out with Brackmyre but I think Walz will favor Moore's style of play and should have more familiarity with her by the time the season starts. Brackmyre could also knock off Hammond if Hammond starts to play like she did in the end of last season, though Walz seems to feel that shes improved quite a bit playing for the USA 3v3.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 07/16/14 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU:

Gabbi Ortiz
McKenna Treece
Sharane Campbell
Gioya Carter
Kaylon Williams

Another team where freshmen are going to be important. I think Vionise Pierre-Louis will be starting once she gets healthy.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/17/14 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="linkster"]
linkster wrote:
Tennessee

Masengale is coming off knee surgery and a concussion watch. Russell is coming off foot surgery. Both would start if healthy IMO. But every concussion makes the next one easier to occur and it's tough for a small pg to avoid getting bumped in the head without it limiting her penetration or defense. Hopefully Russell has no more problems but it seems that NBA players with foot problems often have short careers.

Are you suggesting that Tennessee would sit Graves to start Russell? Harrison is far too good not to start and Burdick's range cannot be replaced by sliding Graves to the 3. I guess I'm having trouble figuring out who you would sit and which positions each starter would
Massengale would replace either Carter or Reynolds at pg. I see Russell playing the 4 but she could be the 4 on defense and the 3 on offense so either Burdick or Graves would sit.

I've always been a huge fan of Graves but she needs to become a better scorer. Actually I wouldn't be surprised to see Russell at the 5 and Harrison at the 4. It's uncertain that Massengale and Russell will be ready to play long minutes in November. Burdick is an inconsistent scorer but still much better than Graves but no where near Graves as a defensive player and rebounder. Tough call.

Russell won't start early on, anyway, since she's coming off bilateral foot surgery. Have to see how she shapes. Massengale will have to earn her minutes but I see her splitting PG duties with Carter, at least early on. It's going to be interesting to see where the new kids fit in.

PostPosted: 07/17/14 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="linkster"]
linkster wrote:
Tennessee

Are you suggesting that Tennessee would sit Graves to start Russell? Harrison is far too good not to start and Burdick's range cannot be replaced by sliding Graves to the 3. I guess I'm having trouble figuring out who you would sit and which positions each starter would

Russell won't start early on, anyway, since she's coming off bilateral foot surgery. Have to see how she shapes. Massengale will have to earn her minutes but I see her splitting PG duties with Carter, at least early on. It's going to be interesting to see where the new kids fit in.

PostPosted: 07/17/14 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
OU:

Gabbi Ortiz
McKenna Treece
Sharane Campbell
Gioya Carter
Kaylon Williams

Another team where freshmen are going to be important. I think Vionise Pierre-Louis will be starting once she gets healthy.

I don't see Carter starting over Manning or Little.

Ortiz
Little
Manning
Campbell
Treece (Pierre-Louis when healthy)

Williams and Carter will probably be the first off the bench though.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/17/14 12:22 pm    ::: Smarts Reply Reply with quote

Why would you be surprised that BB left?

I knew 2 players extremely well who went to Uconn, a few others through others. 1 played a lot, the other never played - the reason - 1 was a smart basketball player and the other was not.

If recruits or their handlers were smart, they would know if they can play at Uconn or ND or any other school that requires a high IQ. There are a lot of recruits left on the board that don't fit that bill, so hopefully they or their handlers will guide them in the right direction as their IQs will keep them on the bench at certain schools.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/17/14 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue:

April Wilson, 5'7
Ashley Morrissette, 5'9 or Hayden Hamby, 5'7
Bridgette Perry, 6'2 or Torrie Thornton, 6'
Liza Clemons, 6'2
Whitney Bays, 6'2

Lot of speculation here and this is a team that will rely a lot on the 5 freshmen class. It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of them end up starting at some point during the season:

Justine Hall, 5'10
Andreona Keys, 5'10
Erica Moore, 6'2 (if healthy, I think she makes a big impact)
Haley Bodnar, 6'3
Bree Horrocks, 6'5

Only 7 returning players and 5 pretty good frosh. This will be an interesting year for the Boilers, esp with the infusion of Maryland and Rutgers.

Jdub

PostPosted: 07/17/14 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Louisville:
Sara Hammond
Bria Smith
Jude Schimmel
Myisha Hines-Allen
Mariya Moore

Think this rebuilding year is going to be rough on Louisville and from Walz's comments it seems he expects to start some freshmen so unless their previously injured players Dyer and Vails can be productive inside I think their will at least two freshmen in the starting lineup.Moore could be swapped out with Brackmyre but I think Walz will favor Moore's style of play and should have more familiarity with her by the time the season starts. Brackmyre could also knock off Hammond if Hammond starts to play like she did in the end of last season, though Walz seems to feel that shes improved quite a bit playing for the USA 3v3.

I think the first three are givens. I think either Dyer or Henderson could replace one the the freshmen. Vails, though not spectacular, gives them some size and was a starter before her injury. So I wouldn't count her out either.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 07/17/14 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For Michigan, I assume that the four returning starters will continue.

Cyesha Goree Sr F
Nicole Elmblad Sr G
Shannon Smith Sr G
Siera Thompson So PG

I have now idea how the last spot plays out, but Madison Ristovski Jr G might have the nod. There are five talented freshman and two others whose careers started off slowly due to injuries. I'm looking forward to seeing how they all fit in.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 07/18/14 2:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is similar to Arti's but with one more definitive prediction:

PG: Allen
G: Loyd
G: Mabrey
F: Reimer
F: Turner (I think talent in this case will overrule experience).

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 7:21 am    ::: Re: Smarts Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Why would you be surprised that BB left?

I knew 2 players extremely well who went to Uconn, a few others through others. 1 played a lot, the other never played - the reason - 1 was a smart basketball player and the other was not.

If recruits or their handlers were smart, they would know if they can play at Uconn or ND or any other school that requires a high IQ. There are a lot of recruits left on the board that don't fit that bill, so hopefully they or their handlers will guide them in the right direction as their IQs will keep them on the bench at certain schools.

Well, I'm sure I haven't been watching WCB as long as you, and I've never known any ONE player at UConn "extremely well", let alone two, as you have, but I don't think it's common for juniors to transfer, in general, let alone one who had a great opportunity to get significant playing time for an NC-favorite team.

However, I could be wrong, and defer to your superior knowledge on the issue.

I guess I didn't realize BB is such a dumb basketball player.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 10:02 am    ::: Oh Jeez Reply Reply with quote

Not that I really care what you think about me LOL

But simply put she hasn't played for 3 years, including a year where Uconn had few reserves. The surprise for me was that she didn't leave after her soph year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/18/14 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is true that some people have a better feel for basketball than others.

Some grasp geometry immediately; others struggle.

From the outside, it does appear that if you don't play a certain way, things won't work out for you at UConn. It's no knock, necessarily, just the way the program works.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State:

Here's my best guess:

PG: Nikki Moody (SR)
2G: Jadda Buckley (SO)
3G: Brynn Williamson (SR) or Emily Durr (FR)
4G: Seanna Johnson (SO)
P: Bryanna Fernstrom (FR) or Claire Ricketts (FR)

Kidd Blaskowsky (JR) could start at 2G or 3G, but I expect her to play a 6th-man role again.

ISU has a fairly deep roster this year, so I'm hoping the rotation can go 9 or 10 deep. Moody, Buckley, Williamson, and Johnson are all returning starters.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 2:38 pm    ::: Re: Oh Jeez Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Not that I really care what you think about me LOL

That makes two of us.

But simply put she hasn't played for 3 years, including a year where Uconn had few reserves.

She played 12,17,14 mins/game in her 3 years.

The surprise for me was that she didn't leave after her soph year.

So you, too, were surprised. Why then ask why I was surprised?

PostPosted: 07/18/14 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Tennessee

Linkster: Massengale definitely needs to be careful. We(LSU) lost Jeanne Kenney at critical times because of concussions. I personally don't think she should have played her senior year. That girl had at LEAST 3 concussions over 4 years.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lotsa players to choose from at UCLA, and it's probably a terrible idea to even attempt a guess, but to attempt a guess at an opening day starting lineup...

G Jordin Canada
G Nirra Fields
G Kari Korver
F Lajahna Drummer
C Corinne Costa

The only lead-pipe cinch above is Nirra. Wouldn't be shocked to see Caldwell or Swain in the starting lineup in place of one of the others. But, truly, I've got no idea.

bballfan32

PostPosted: 07/19/14 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My best guess for Arkansas:

G Calli Berna
G McKenzie Adams
G Kelsey Brooks
F Jessica Jackson
C Jhasmin Bowen

Melissa Wolff could start at the 3/4 because her and Jackson play each position, but I expect Wolff to be a great player this year under Dykes. She always brings the energy, but I think she will have better scoring opportunities.

icey23

PostPosted: 07/19/14 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

grrlagent wrote:
linkster wrote:
Tennessee

Linkster: Massengale definitely needs to be careful. We(LSU) lost Jeanne Kenney at critical times because of concussions. I personally don't think she should have played her senior year. That girl had at LEAST 3 concussions over 4 years.

Who do u see starting for our lady tigers??? I'm getting season ticket this year

PostPosted: 07/19/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Cornhuskers have 4 returning starters and 7 newcomers, some of whom could see a lot of playing time.

PG Rachel Theriot: double digit scorer, 7.1 apg, 43% from 3pt.
2G T'earra Laudermill: double digit scorer, 37% from 3pt.
F Emily Cady: double digit scorer, 9.1 rpg
F Hailie Sample: 6.4 rpg

Of course they have to replace Jordan Hooper in the lineup. They have some options around how to adjust their game plan with their lineup.

Sr. G Brandi Jefferies is the next most experienced player. More of a defensive stopper.

So. C Allie Havers. Had some good games at the end of the season. At 6'5, her inside presence would allow the 6'2 Cady to move to a wing position on offense.

Fr. Kaylee Page. A 6'2" wing player. Supposed to be a good face the basket player and has 3 pt. range.

Fr. Natalie Romero - a highly ranked guard although probably more of a backup to Theriot.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/cady-impressed-after-first-look-at-husker-newcomers/article_797a3917-2eab-5f08-bf65-ec1579bf92db.html

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/19/14 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Natalie Romeo ... a lot of people seem to call her Romero.

PostPosted: 07/20/14 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Lotsa players to choose from at UCLA, and it's probably a terrible idea to even attempt a guess, but to attempt a guess at an opening day starting lineup...

G Jordin Canada
G Nirra Fields
G Kari Korver
F Lajahna Drummer
C Corinne Costa

The only lead-pipe cinch above is Nirra. Wouldn't be shocked to see Caldwell or Swain in the starting lineup in place of one of the others. But, truly, I've got no idea.

I've been thinking about our starters the last couple days but haven't been able to post because it is such a wide open race. At this point the only safe bet is Nirra Fields.

G Jordin Canada
G Nirra Fields
G Kari Korver
F Kacy Swain / Lajahna Drummer
C Corinne Costa / Savy Trapp

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a loyalty start from Brooks in the first few games.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 07/20/14 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke

PG: Ka'lia Johnson (Sr but hasn't played PG)
SG: Becca Greenwell (Redshirt frosh coming off knee injury)
SF: Sierra Calhoun (Fr shooter - may get roped into playing PG
PF: Oderah Chidom (Soph - time to earn her HS rating)
C: E Williams (Sr - will she come to play this year?)

Getting the drift? Look ma - no point guard!

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: