RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ogunbowale tweet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bacabuck

PostPosted: 07/14/14 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, a very very serious (heavy heavy) scholastic tussle seems to have mortally wounded this thread. To bad but, it was fun while it lasted.

"I don't hate him. But he acted like a petulant bitter jerk with his tweet yesterday. The blue tint on those glasses has to be pretty dark to pretend otherwise."

Now that is classic gold!............ especially when summarizing the roundball icon of our age. Nice stick.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/14/14 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Geno is not an original here folks, but some people like to go off on him...this was after the Mercedes Russell announcement I believe.

Jeff Walz @CoachJeffWalz · 1 Nov 2012

At 4:30pm I plan to announce where I am going to eat dinner...will it be somewhere downtown, Market Street or a home cooked meal? Decisions

And I did mention this was Central Time correct?

I have decided....but first want to thank all of my followers for there suggestions...but I have decided I will be taking my appetite too..

Zaxby's in Franklin, KY!!!!!!!!!

People have called Walz an obnoxious jerk on more than one occasion. Hardly a ringing endorsement that "Geno's no worse than Walz."

Wake me when someone like Tara VanDerveer or Connie Yori tweets something like that.

First of all, I said Geno's not the first, not that "Geno's no worse than Walz." Art if you're going to try to quote me, have the courtesy to say not only my words but my intent.

I'm sorry they don't meet your character expectations.

Funny how their kids' love them and they win.

Your holier than thou attitude is a bit much Art.

By the way, I'm in the middle of hiring right now for two positions here at our company, and the name of the school is secondary to the fact (1) they graduated from a four year accredited school and (2) they display the skills and professionalism we need.

Of course since you turn your nose up at two of the coaches that are bashing down the doors of the establishment of women's college basketball because you don't like their attitude, it's not surprising your hiring committees would be looking strictly for the "reputable" names and not just look at a qualified person that can get the job done.

Where would UConn and Louisville be now if they had taken that approach?

bacabuck

PostPosted: 07/14/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Wisky is the intriguing pick on her list. I often think that the home state team gets an honorable consideration by elite level recruits just out of courtesy. Still, wouldn't it be cool if she went there.

Muffett and Walz are great at developing under the radar kids so what happens when and if they get kids that are on that level.

Good haul if McGuff can pull her in to theOSU. WOnder if he is planning any coaching vacancies on his bench?

Ok,Ok, nice back-handed swat at McGuff the Thane of Schott, but as I explained in another post, tOSU has many fine employment opportunities for talented parents...........we are a loving family.......So not to worry.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/14/14 4:19 pm    ::: Way to go Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Geno is not an original here folks, but some people like to go off on him...this was after the Mercedes Russell announcement I believe.

At 4:30pm I plan to announce where I am going to eat dinner...will it be somewhere downtown, Market Street or a home cooked meal? Decisions

I have decided....but first want to thank all of my followers for there suggestions...but I have decided I will be taking my appetite too..

People have called Walz an obnoxious jerk on more than one occasion. Hardly a ringing endorsement that "Geno's no worse than Walz."

Wake me when someone like Tara VanDerveer or Connie Yori tweets something like that.

First of all, I said Geno's not the first, not that "Geno's no worse than Walz." Art if you're going to try to quote me, have the courtesy to say not only my words but my intent.

I'm sorry they don't meet your character expectations.

Funny how their kids' love them and they win.

Your holier than thou attitude is a bit much Art.

By the way, I'm in the middle of hiring right now for two positions here at our company, and the name of the school is secondary to the fact (1) they graduated from a four year accredited school and (2) they display the skills and professionalism we need.

Of course since you turn your nose up at two of the coaches that are bashing down the doors of the establishment of women's college basketball because you don't like their attitude, it's not surprising your hiring committees would be looking strictly for the "reputable" names and not just look at a qualified person that can get the job done.

Where would UConn and Louisville be now if they had taken that approach?

dts you rock.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/14/14 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Bashing down the doors of the establishment"? That's laughable. No one is more "establishment" than Geno. Too bad he didn't learn any class along the way.

And if your hiring standards aren't high, maybe that says more about the desirability and competition for the job. It certainly says nothing about how highly competitive businesses hire.

Btw, when you're hiring, how do you reach the remarkable conclusion that the new grad from Central Connecticut State is more qualified than the new grad from Duke? Do you have a crystsl ball, or just hire the one with the best haircut or shoes?

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/14/14 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 07/14/14 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
See, I assumed Geno was speaking to a larger trend and this just incited him to say something- the straw that broke the camel's back, not a direct shot at the young woman in question. At least for me, it is creepy to be this deep into the life of someone who isn't even old enough to vote, and maybe schools, networks, and athletes need to take a step back and make the process intimate again.

Really? Funny it wasn't an issue worth a snotty tweet when Samuelson and Boykin and Collier announced their "lists" of 11 and 5 and so forth. But suddenly when someone he was recruiting puts out a list that he was left off of it suddenly becomes a problem? I guess it's just a coincidence that he suddenly got upset about this common practice within minutes of Ogunbowale's announcement. Or maybe Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rule 39 applies.

Actually Art there is a very high probability it could very well be a coincidence or as Carl Jung would have called synchronicity wherein there are billions of people in our world interacting thousands of times a day creating the possibility of coincidence more than probably but definite. Factor in familiarity and synchronicity is a given to happen.

Just say'n.

Just for anyone out there, other than Muffet's tweet is there any other reaction from the WCBB Community or the media.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Oldfandepot2"]
ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
See, I assumed Geno was speaking to a larger trend and this just incited him to say something- the straw that broke the camel's back, not a direct shot at the young woman in question. At least for me, it is creepy to be this deep into the life of someone who isn't even old enough to vote, and maybe schools, networks, and athletes need to take a step back and make the process intimate again.

Really? Funny it wasn't an issue worth a snotty tweet when Samuelson and Boykin and Collier announced their "lists" of 11 and 5 and so forth. But suddenly when someone he was recruiting puts out a list that he was left off of it suddenly becomes a problem? I guess it's just a coincidence that he suddenly got upset about this common practice within minutes of Ogunbowale's announcement. Or maybe Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rule 39 applies.

Actually Art there is a very high probability it could very well be a coincidence or as Carl Jung would have called synchronicity wherein there are billions of people in our world interacting thousands of times a day creating the possibility of coincidence more than probably but definite. Factor in familiarity and synchronicity is a given to happen.

Yes yes yes, I know just where you coming from with that "synchronicity"......Its just a lot like when a hard drive crashes for six specific people (out of 300,000). Yep, "synchronicity" is the answer. Furthermore, both Carl and Jung have agreed to that.

LitePal

PostPosted: 07/14/14 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yawn, another totally predictable response from Kallum so he can bash UCLA. Why didn't he compare Cal (aka Low APR U) and San Jose St since those schools are ones he's familiar with and in his backyard.

He's still upset because his friend was bypassed for the UCLA head coaching position after Olivier was fired. It was salary and Kallam argued that UCLA doesn't care because they weren't going to pony up monies they didn't have. UCLA's wbb program has not suffered one bit by not hiring friend.

His hiring interviews must be a hoot as his biases and economic philosophies are interesting to say the least and he's not enough of a man to admit them.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 07/14/14 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Yawn, another totally predictable response from Kallum so he can bash UCLA. Why didn't he compare Cal (aka Low APR U) and San Jose St since those schools are ones he's familiar with and in his backyard.

He's still upset because his friend was bypassed for the UCLA head coaching position after Olivier was fired. It was salary and Kallam argued that UCLA doesn't care because they weren't going to pony up monies they didn't have. UCLA's wbb program has not suffered one bit by not hiring friend.

His hiring interviews must be a hoot as his biases and economic philosophies are interesting to say the least and he's not enough of a man to admit them.

Wow, I have to say that I got zero of that connotation from Clay's post. He used UCLA and Duke as examples prestigious universities and Louisville and Long Beach St. as examples of less prestigious institutions, and then said that as long as a student is willing to work hard, they can get a comparable education from each one. While I disagree somewhat with his example, I do not feel he slighted UCLA at all, except to say that they were not in the highest echelon of schools (Harvard, Stanford, etc.)

As I see it, the biggest difference academic difference between colleges are (1) the class size and (2) the competency of the incoming students. Schools with smaller class sizes usually have many more papers and the students learn to write very well. Small liberal arts colleges shine here. And schools that are more selective in their admissions start off with academically gifted students, so the classes can be taught at a higher level and thus the students can learn more. My alma mater (Notre Dame) is fairly selective, accepting about 24% of their applicants, whereas Louisville accepts 76% of those who apply. The test scores (SAT, ACT) are much higher for Notre Dame, so they are starting with better clay. UCLA accepts only 20%, so they are very selective. Stanford accepts 5%, Harvard 6%, and Princeton 7%, so those schools are very elite.

But like Clay said, if a student attends a schools with lower admission standards, they can still get a great education if they work hard and pursue opportunities (instead of waiting for opportunities to appear). Many schools now have Honors Programs as well, which can be like mini colleges within the university, having high admission standards and smaller class sizes.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/14/14 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like UCLA? Really?

I've been pushing UCLA for the past year, complimenting Cori Close on the great job she's done.

And, for the record, UCLA is an outstanding school, one of the best in the country. If one cared about that kind of stuff on a resume, as opposed to being a productive worker, Cal and UCLA would be pretty much equal as far as I'm concerned.

Now I will concede that I'm a Bay Area guy, so naturally I hope all the LA teams lose all their games, but that doesn't quite blind me to the reality of life in Cali.

So LitePal and anyone else, please accept my apologies if you feel I'm down on UCLA. It looks like they're taking women's basketball seriously (which was my primary criticism in the past), and next year, if not this year, the Bruins could easily be a top ten team.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="bacabuck"]
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Yes yes yes, I know just where you coming from with that "synchronicity"......Its just a lot like when a hard drive crashes for six specific people (out of 300,000). Yep, "synchronicity" is the answer. Furthermore, both Carl and Jung have agreed to that.

As you can see, many people on this board disagree, sometimes vehemently but the level of response for the vast majority has been refreshing insightful, articulate and well reasoned. Yours, all of them are painful failed attempts at humor, painful to the point that only sympathy can be expressed for your posts.

For your own sake, stop these adolescent responses. We welcome all including yourself. Respect that, respect yourself.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose there's some possibility that the Auriemma tweet was unrelated to Ogumbowale's. Otherwise, I agree it was inappropriate.

I also don't understand why Auriemma or anyone else mocks or complains about recruits making announcements on Twitter or having signing ceremonies, usually at their high school.

While I think Twitter is largely silly, it's obviously the way the younger generation communicates. It's also reasonable to assume that just about all coaches follow their recruits on Twitter. Therefore, making announcements about college choices on Twitter would seem to be the most efficient way to communicate these things to everyone who's interested--friends, family, fans and coaches.

As to signing ceremonies, we have to keep in mind that the top recruits are local sports heroines. They may be the best players in their high school's history, and may have led their high school to state championships. They are also sports celebrities and feature stories for their local media. Therefore, it's very reasonable for the schools, fans, families and local media to be in favor of a brief college announcement and signing ceremony. This also makes for a memorable photo event for the recruits, who universally seem proud of the college they are signing with and often wear the college's shirt.

These simple ceremonies have been common for prominent boy's basketball and football players for decades. Why should a top women's basketball coach be mocking them?
Howee

PostPosted: 07/15/14 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't know what industry you were in, and it matters less If you're hiring people who have been in the workforce a number of years and have a track record, but for any relatively new hire in a profession or competitive position, it matters immensely.

I have never seen that to be true in the very competitive field of education.

dtsnms wrote:
Geno is not an original here folks, in making fun or commenting on the high school kids' flair for the dramatic, but some people like to go off on him as a great heathen...this was after the Mercedes Russell announcement I believe.

Is this encrypted or something? I'm missing the reference to Mercedes. Shocked

PostPosted: 07/15/14 6:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Oldfandepot2"]
bacabuck wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

As you can see, many people on this board disagree, sometimes vehemently but the level of response for the vast majority has been refreshing insightful, articulate and well reasoned. Yours, all of them are painful failed attempts at humor, painful to the point that only sympathy can be expressed for your posts.

For your own sake, stop these adolescent responses. We welcome all including yourself. Respect that, respect yourself.

Thank you for your respectfully given sympathy.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 07/15/14 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:

As one of the resident UCLA honks on this board, I just wanna say that I didn't read Clay's post as UCLA-bashing at all. Not by the longest shot.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 07/15/14 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
UCLA accepts only 20%, so they are very selective. Stanford accepts 5%, Harvard 6%, and Princeton 7%, so those schools are very elite.

Technically UCLA accepts 18.2%, but yeah, point taken.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/15/14 9:37 am    ::: Fors and against Reply Reply with quote

get fuzzier by the minute and not surprisingly it has more to do with whether you like the person tweeting or not.

So some are saying it is ok for recruits to tweet what they want, i.e. putting a schools name in their tweets saying they are 1 of their schools when there is no check or balance as to whether that school is even highly interested in them or has lost interest in them, they do use that tool to get further interest from their desired school. But it is not ok for a coach to say how he feels about tweeting, press conferences and basically "look at me" mentality!

Go figure!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/15/14 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
I don't know what industry you were in, and it matters less If you're hiring people who have been in the workforce a number of years and have a track record, but for any relatively new hire in a profession or competitive position, it matters immensely.

I have never seen that to be true in the very competitive field of education.

dtsnms wrote:
Geno is not an original here folks, in making fun or commenting on the high school kids' flair for the dramatic, but some people like to go off on him as a great heathen...this was after the Mercedes Russell announcement I believe.

Is this encrypted or something? I'm missing the reference to Mercedes. Shocked

After she chose Tennessee over Louisville, with a similar "I'll announce at x time, type of lead up" he posted these tweets.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/15/14 11:20 am    ::: Re: Fors and against Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
get fuzzier by the minute and not surprisingly it has more to do with whether you like the person tweeting or not.

So some are saying it is ok for recruits to tweet what they want, i.e. putting a schools name in their tweets saying they are 1 of their schools when there is no check or balance as to whether that school is even highly interested in them or has lost interest in them, they do use that tool to get further interest from their desired school. But it is not ok for a coach to say how he feels about tweeting, press conferences and basically "look at me" mentality!
Go figure!

Not a lot to *figure*, really....notice the highlighted words: "recruits" and "coach". One of them should be the mature example of how NOT to be petty and self-centered.

I'd think even UConn fans will acknowledge that Geno's Achilles is "ego"; that there are others, like Walz, isn't surprising. If any coach sees fit to dabble in that 'tit-for-tat' repartee with a recruit, it's only going to reflect negatively on the coach.

PostPosted: 07/15/14 11:31 am    ::: Yeah Reply Reply with quote

Yeah just like those people who assume they know what someone is thinking or means in a tweet LMAO

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/15/14 11:52 am    ::: Re: Yeah Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Yeah just like those people who assume they know what someone is thinking or means in a tweet LMAO

So you're saying he was only pretending to be an asshole and we were mistaken to think he was being serious?

linkster

PostPosted: 07/15/14 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I suppose there's some possibility that the Auriemma tweet was unrelated to Ogumbowale's. Otherwise, I agree it was inappropriate.

I also don't understand why Auriemma or anyone else mocks or complains about recruits making announcements on Twitter or having signing ceremonies, usually at their high school.

Where exactly is Auriemma mocking signing ceremonies?

While I think Twitter is largely silly, it's obviously the way the younger generation communicates. It's also reasonable to assume that just about all coaches follow their recruits on Twitter. Therefore, making announcements about college choices on Twitter would seem to be the most efficient way to communicate these things to everyone who's interested--friends, family, fans and coaches.

Again, it's not the use of Twitter to announce college selections that was the topic, it was the use of social media to announce a recruits first 15, the cut to 5 and then the drum roll for the "big decision". It's the American Idol syndrome.

As to signing ceremonies, we have to keep in mind that the top recruits are local sports heroines. They may be the best players in their high school's history, and may have led their high school to state championships. They are also sports celebrities and feature stories for their local media. Therefore, it's very reasonable for the schools, fans, families and local media to be in favor of a brief college announcement and signing ceremony. This also makes for a memorable photo event for the recruits, who universally seem proud of the college they are signing with and often wear the college's shirt.

These simple ceremonies have been common for prominent boy's basketball and football players for decades. Why should a top women's basketball coach be mocking them?

Once again I fail to see where signing ceremonies were mentioned by Auriemma. You are assuming facts not in evidence.

Auriemma must get hundreds of tweets and texts from recruits and their families. Probably thousands. Unless someone works for the NSA and can post Geno's entire log of texts and tweets we have no evidence that his tweet was directed at anyone in particular. This whole thread is just a desperate attempt to cast one coach in a bad light, much like the predictable threads about UConn's imminent demise in the AAC.

And as long as the topic is classless behavior, ....

What about Muffet's snub of Stewart at the POY awards ceremony? I'm still waiting for Art to comment on that classy behavior. It takes a lot of ego and gall to act like a spoiled 4 year old that lost a beauty contest. I'm surprised she didn't fall to the floor and have a tantrum.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 07/15/14 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Unless someone works for the NSA and can post Geno's entire log of texts and tweets we have no evidence that his tweet was directed at anyone in particular.

Come on...it really doesn't require the NSA to see what/who this was directed at. Only the most fervent of UConn followers would choose to think otherwise.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/15/14 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

And as long as the topic is classless behavior, ....

What about Muffet's snub of Stewart at the POY awards ceremony? I'm still waiting for Art to comment on that classy behavior. It takes a lot of ego and gall to act like a spoiled 4 year old that lost a beauty contest. I'm surprised she didn't fall to the floor and have a tantrum.

Oh that was dismissed on page one of the thread. Art replied:

Quote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
You mean like when Muffet didn't clap at the final four Rolling Eyes

ArtBest wrote:
Yeah, which sent the boneyard into an hilarious multipage display of panty twisting and phony outrage over a non event and perceived slight. But this is a bush league crack about a 17 year old's rejection of Geno's overtures and her own choice for her own future and of course the same people leap to his defense because of course we all know that Geno can do no wrong.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/15/14 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
linkster wrote:
Unless someone works for the NSA and can post Geno's entire log of texts and tweets we have no evidence that his tweet was directed at anyone in particular.

Come on...it really doesn't require the NSA to see what/who this was directed at. Only the most fervent of UConn followers would choose to think otherwise.

Personally I think only most fervent UConn dislikers give a crap about what he tweeted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: