RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ogunbowale tweet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 6:04 am    ::: Re: LMAO Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
You mean like when Muffet didn't clap at the final four Rolling Eyes

Lol. Loved that display of sour grapes from Muffet "we've gotten pretty good at beating them lately" McChicken.

Which ACC team will she duck next season in order to remove any risk of losing on Senior Night?

Last edited by cthskzfn on 07/14/14 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 07/14/14 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

See, I assumed Geno was speaking to a larger trend and this just incited him to say something- the straw that broke the camel's back, not a direct shot at the young woman in question. At least for me, it is creepy to be this deep into the life of someone who isn't even old enough to vote, and maybe schools, networks, and athletes need to take a step back and make the process intimate again.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AJMMs wrote:
Some one is bitter. So what if a young woman is excited about her future and wants to have a little fun.

https://mobile.twitter.com/genoauriemma/status/488463046566637568

That's right up there with PMac's tacky tweets.....

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/14/14 8:36 am    ::: Sense and sensibility Reply Reply with quote

Thats Entertainment.

Yes thats what I find all of this, both Muffet and Geno are entertaining. As long as both treat their kids decently off the court then keep entertaining and thats what I understand.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/14/14 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wisky is the intriguing pick on her list. I often think that the home state team gets an honorable consideration by elite level recruits just out of courtesy. Still, wouldn't it be cool if she went there.

Muffett and Walz are great at developing under the radar kids so what happens when and if they get kids that are on that level.

Good haul if McGuff can pull her in to theOSU. WOnder if he is planning any coaching vacancies on his bench?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
See, I assumed Geno was speaking to a larger trend and this just incited him to say something- the straw that broke the camel's back, not a direct shot at the young woman in question. At least for me, it is creepy to be this deep into the life of someone who isn't even old enough to vote, and maybe schools, networks, and athletes need to take a step back and make the process intimate again.

I agree, but the cat won't be going back in that bag, unfortunately, unless some Draconian recruiting regs. are instituted, which seems unlikely.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Really? Funny it wasn't an issue worth a snotty tweet when Samuelson and Boykin and Collier announced their "lists" of 11 and 5 and so forth. But suddenly when someone he was recruiting puts out a list that he was left off of it suddenly becomes a problem? I guess it's just a coincidence that he suddenly got upset about this common practice within minutes of Ogunbowale's announcement. Or maybe Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rule 39 applies.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 07/14/14 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/14/14 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCLA and Wisconsin.

Surprised that Duke is not on final list (and Louisville is) given the family's emphasis on academics. I was told several months ago that Duke had the early lead on this one.

Her brother plays football at Wisconsin. Could she be Bobbie Kelsey's first big recruit?

Uh, Louisville IS a pretty decent school academically. So are the rest of the schools on the list, especially Wisconsin (my alma mater). Duke may be good academically, but it has some social knocks against it that you may not know about, and maybe she didn't like Coach P.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 11:19 am    ::: Re: Sense and sensibility Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Thats Entertainment.

Yes thats what I find all of this, both Muffet and Geno are entertaining. As long as both treat their kids decently off the court then keep entertaining and thats what I understand.

There would seem, at least to me, to be a fairly obvious difference between adult rivals taking jabs at one another and a 60 year old man making snotty cracks about a 17 year old girl and her choices for her own future.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/14/14 11:45 am    ::: Jeez Reply Reply with quote

Keep it going why don't ya.

You mean between a 17 yr old and a 19 yr old in Stewie, some difference.

Whatever you clearly hate Geno. I hate neither.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/14/14 12:02 pm    ::: Re: Jeez Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Keep it going why don't ya.

You mean between a 17 yr old and a 19 yr old in Stewie, some difference.

Whatever you clearly hate Geno. I hate neither.

Please link the snide tweet about Stewart to which you refer.

I don't hate him. But he acted like a petulant bitter jerk with his tweet yesterday. The blue tint on those glasses has to be pretty dark to pretend otherwise.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/14/14 12:19 pm    ::: Reading is fundamental Reply Reply with quote

I never mentioned a tweet, I was referring to Muffet not clapping when Stewie got her award.

And to think you are ripping me now LMAO.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/14/14 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PhillyCat wrote:
Louisville, Notre Dame, Ohio State, UCLA and Wisconsin.

Surprised that Duke is not on final list (and Louisville is) given the family's emphasis on academics. I was told several months ago that Duke had the early lead on this one.

Her brother plays football at Wisconsin. Could she be Bobbie Kelsey's first big recruit?

Uh, Louisville IS a pretty decent school academically. So are the rest of the schools on the list, especially Wisconsin (my alma mater). Duke may be good academically, but it has some social knocks against it that you may not know about, and maybe she didn't like Coach P.

I didn't say Louisville wasn't "decent," I said it isn't what I would consider a good academic institution, particularly for a HS kid who has stressed the importance of academics and when compared to the other 4 schools which have much higher rankings and reputations. As I said, my comment about Duke was because I was told by a good source that she and her parents (both educators) favored Duke, but admittedly that was about 8 months ago. Clearly that information is inaccurate and perhaps it was always so.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/14/14 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just a note: There is pretty much wide agreement in the college counseling field, according to the folks I talk to, that aside from the very elite schools (Stanford, Harvard, Yale), there is little tangible advantage to graduating from a particular school with a four-year degree. (A master's or doctorate, however, is a different story.)

A student can get a very good education almost anywhere if that student is motivated. Even in junior college, the professors know much more than the students.

So the difference between a Louisville and a Duke and a UCLA and a Baylor from an academic point of view is simply not that great, if a student is ready to work hard and learn. (When I first went to college, I certainly didn't share that mindset -- and I think many athletes are the same way. There are in college to play their sport and leave with a diploma; the particulars of their major, as with many students, are not their primary focus.)

And of course, if a student is not particularly motivated, then the difference between the schools doesn't matter much either.

Realistically, the players we are talking about are going to college to get their education in basketball, which is the profession they will pursue for as long as they wish to, or can, after they graduate. They will make close to $1 million in their basketball career, if not more, and it's unlikely their undergraduate degree will have nearly as much impact on their future earnings as their basketball experience (assuming they get a diploma).

Again, there are exceptions. An engineering major, say, will have better employment opportunities coming out of this college rather than that one, but how many of these young women are going to get an engineering job right after they graduate?

In the end, what's the difference in a job interview between having a B.A. from UCLA and one from Long Beach State. Is the company going to hire someone just because they went to UCLA? If so, that's not a very good reason and most likely, not a very good company.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:
I hear it's between Ohio State and UCON.............Prepare to take it on the chin Geno.

My hearing is very sensitive...........................What?

Now, some might think a self-serving, self confessed partisan person who re-quotes his own post is fishing for ooh's and aah's on his precognition. BUT no, no no no, and more no's still, I am simply DELIGHTED that a punch was thrown and it seems to have hit the chin SQUARELY !!!!!

Great punch young lady!!! Go where your heart takes you............Buckeyes would be good, but good luck, wherever!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/14/14 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Just a note: There is pretty much wide agreement in the college counseling field, according to the folks I talk to, that aside from the very elite schools (Stanford, Harvard, Yale), there is little tangible advantage to graduating from a particular school with a four-year degree. (A master's or doctorate, however, is a different story.)

A student can get a very good education almost anywhere if that student is motivated. Even in junior college, the professors know much more than the students.

So the difference between a Louisville and a Duke and a UCLA and a Baylor from an academic point of view is simply not that great, if a student is ready to work hard and learn. (When I first went to college, I certainly didn't share that mindset -- and I think many athletes are the same way. There are in college to play their sport and leave with a diploma; the particulars of their major, as with many students, are not their primary focus.)

And of course, if a student is not particularly motivated, then the difference between the schools doesn't matter much either.

Realistically, the players we are talking about are going to college to get their education in basketball, which is the profession they will pursue for as long as they wish to, or can, after they graduate. They will make close to $1 million in their basketball career, if not more, and it's unlikely their undergraduate degree will have nearly as much impact on their future earnings as their basketball experience (assuming they get a diploma).

Again, there are exceptions. An engineering major, say, will have better employment opportunities coming out of this college rather than that one, but how many of these young women are going to get an engineering job right after they graduate?

In the end, what's the difference in a job interview between having a B.A. from UCLA and one from Long Beach State. Is the company going to hire someone just because they went to UCLA? If so, that's not a very good reason and most likely, not a very good company.

I don't know where you got your misinformation, but having actually served on hiring committees I'll tell you that the difference is that the UCLA grad is about 100 times more likely to be invited to that job interview than the LBS grad. Indeed, the employer is probably conducting on-campus interviews at UCLA and and has never been near LBS.

And the difference when applying to professional or graduate school is even more pronounced.

The notion that there is no difference when it comes time to get a job is utter nonsense.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 07/14/14 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Really? Funny it wasn't an issue worth a snotty tweet when Samuelson and Boykin and Collier announced their "lists" of 11 and 5 and so forth. But suddenly when someone he was recruiting puts out a list that he was left off of it suddenly becomes a problem? I guess it's just a coincidence that he suddenly got upset about this common practice within minutes of Ogunbowale's announcement. Or maybe Leroy Jethro Gibbs Rule 39 applies.

Maybe those kids didn't make their announcements the same way AO did. Collier's list of 12 was announced by her AAU coach; her final 5 came from an interview with ESPNW HG and "the so forth," i.e., commitment, first appeared on the HG website and then confirmed by her father when contacted.

Boykin's father announced her list of schools on twitter as I recall. Dejanae announced the commitment she made to UConn on twitter a week or more after she told the UConn staff. No announcement that the announcement was coming; she just said it on her birthday.

Samuelson's final five were revealed in a tweet by her AAU coach Russ Davis and her commitment was first tweeted by Mike Flynn (not clear how he found out).

We don't really know the full circumstances surrounding Ogunbowale's announcement. In other words, were the coaches of the 6 teams that didn't make the list contacted personally or were they expected to follow twitter and learn the news by reading the announcement that an announcement was coming? And did they then have to read her twitter on Sunday night to learn whether they made the cut? If it's true that all were notified via twitter, I do wonder how the coaches of the other 10 schools felt as they were tuned into a 17-year-old's twitter account awaiting her news.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/14/14 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I don't know where you got your misinformation, but having actually served on hiring committees I'll tell you that the difference is that the UCLA grad is about 100 times more likely to be invited to that job interview than the LBS grad. Indeed, the employer is probably conducting on-campus interviews at UCLA and and has never been near LBS.

And the difference when applying to professional or graduate school is even more pronounced.

The notion that there is no difference when it comes time to get a job is utter nonsense.

Interesting ... I spent most of my career hiring people, and I never took into consideration what school they graduated from. I just wanted to try and figure out if they could the job.

PostPosted: 07/14/14 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

BORING...........What ever happened to;...........He wins. He wins a lot. He's very good at what he does. Too bad he's such an arrogant asshole about it.

I mean that's good stuff on a board like this!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/14/14 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Interesting ... I spent most of my career hiring people, and I never took into consideration what school they graduated from. I just wanted to try and figure out if they could the job.

I don't know what industry you were in, and it matters less If you're hiring people who have been in the workforce a number of years and have a track record, but for any relatively new hire in a profession or competitive position, it matters immensely.

AJMMs

PostPosted: 07/14/14 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
At least for me, it is creepy to be this deep into the life of someone who isn't even old enough to vote, and maybe schools, networks, and athletes need to take a step back and make the process intimate again.

I agree and if u wanna know what's being said on some of these social networks without directly creeping on some youngsters Twitter use a site like whotalking.com. I guess it's still creeping but at least I don't feel as creepy doing it this way. Haha

bacabuck

PostPosted: 07/14/14 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Wisky is the intriguing pick on her list. I often think that the home state team gets an honorable consideration by elite level recruits just out of courtesy. Still, wouldn't it be cool if she went there.

Muffett and Walz are great at developing under the radar kids so what happens when and if they get kids that are on that level.

Good haul if McGuff can pull her in to theOSU. WOnder if he is planning any coaching vacancies on his bench?

Ok,Ok, nice back-handed swat at McGuff the Thane of Schott, but as I explained in another post, tOSU has many fine employment opportunities for talented parents...........we are a loving family.......So not to worry.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/14/14 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno is not an original here folks, in making fun or commenting on the high school kids' flair for the dramatic, but some people like to go off on him as a great heathen...this was after the Mercedes Russell announcement I believe.

Jeff Walz @CoachJeffWalz 1 Nov 2012

At 4:30pm I plan to announce where I am going to eat dinner...will it be somewhere downtown, Market Street or a home cooked meal? Decisions

And I did mention this was Central Time correct?

I have decided....but first want to thank all of my followers for there suggestions...but I have decided I will be taking my appetite too..

Zaxby's in Franklin, KY!!!!!!!!!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/14/14 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Geno is not an original here folks, but some people like to go off on him...this was after the Mercedes Russell announcement I believe.

At 4:30pm I plan to announce where I am going to eat dinner...will it be somewhere downtown, Market Street or a home cooked meal? Decisions

And I did mention this was Central Time correct?

I have decided....but first want to thank all of my followers for there suggestions...but I have decided I will be taking my appetite too..

Zaxby's in Franklin, KY!!!!!!!!!

People have called Walz an obnoxious jerk on more than one occasion. Hardly a ringing endorsement that "Geno's no worse than Walz."

Wake me when someone like Tara VanDerveer or Connie Yori tweets something like that.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 07/14/14 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, a very very serious (heavy heavy) scholastic tussle seems to have mortally wounded this thread. To bad but, it was fun while it lasted.

"I don't hate him. But he acted like a petulant bitter jerk with his tweet yesterday. The blue tint on those glasses has to be pretty dark to pretend otherwise."

Now that is classic gold!............ especially when summarizing the roundball icon of our age. Nice stick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: