RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Prediction contest - next coach to take a team to the FF for

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:02 am    ::: Prediction contest - next coach to take a team to the FF for Reply Reply with quote

Prediction contest - next coach to take a team to the FF for the first time

If we think about who will be in the Final Four this coming season, the list will include some of the usual suspects.

The goal is to identify the a coach who will lead a team to the Final four for the first time.

The emphasis is on the coach, not the team, so while LSU has been to the Final Four, Nikki Caldwell has not (as a coach).

It counts if the coach gets there with a new team, so if Coach X and school Y transfers to school Z and makes it tot he FF, that counts.

I think the last new coach at the Final Four was Lindsay Gottlieb.

Who will be the next one?

Last edited by Phil on 07/08/14 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess would be Staley

Phil

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out who preceded Gottlieb as a first time at Final Four as a head coach. Jeff Walz in 2009 looks like it. (some might add an asterisk, thinking he deserved credit for MD in 2006, which is why I said head coach)

I think Brenda Frese preceded Walz.

Phil

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:
My guess would be Staley

Heh, I was going to compile a list of potential candidates, and when I saw her name, I thought, that's my choice. (But Matt Mitchell is on my short list)

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gary Blair took A&M in 2011. It wasn't his first FF rodeo but it was the Aggies.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Staley as well.

I think Cori Close is putting a couple of talented classes together as well.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/08/14 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staley or Warlick. McCallie is always in the running.
Phil

PostPosted: 07/08/14 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

McCallie is not in the running, she's already been there.

ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 07/08/14 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ladydawgs96 wrote:
My guess would be Staley

Heh, I was going to compile a list of potential candidates, and when I saw her name, I thought, that's my choice. (But Matt Mitchell is on my short list)

If I went with my second choice, I would pick Coquese Washington.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/08/14 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

McCallie is not in the running, she's already been there.

But not with Duke. I thought it counted if a coach takes a new school to the FF even if he/she's been there before with another team. Maybe I didn't understand the rules.
ladydawgs96

PostPosted: 07/08/14 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I'm trying to figure out who preceded Gottlieb as a first time at Final Four as a head coach. Jeff Walz in 2009 looks like it. (some might add an asterisk, thinking he deserved credit for MD in 2006, which is why I said head coach)

I think Brenda Frese preceded Walz.

It was Van Chancellor with LSU in 2008 and Frese before him

Phil

PostPosted: 07/08/14 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ladydawgs96 wrote:

It was Van Chancellor with LSU in 2008 and Frese before him

Good Catch. LSU was such a regular at FFs, that I glossed over it, forgetting that their five year streak had three different coaches. (That's got to be a record)

Phil

PostPosted: 07/08/14 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm looking for the first time a coach (not a school) is a head coach at a Final Four. I mentioned changing schools, in case someone wants to predict that coach X will make it to the Final Four, not by taking their existing team, but by being recruited by another team. For example, someone might predict that Karl Smesko will get to the FF, and if someone thinks FGCU will never make it, I want it to count if some other school recruits him and he gets there with that team.

(The motivation was the possibility that Duke might decide to replace coach P, and if they look at all the coaches who have taken teams to Final Fours, and conclude they can't recruit any of them, who are the next tier of coaches, good enough to take a decent squad to a FF. But I'm not emphasizing the Duke speculation, just using it as a jumping off point to think about who are the best coaches that do not have a FF on their resume)

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/08/14 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I mentioned changing schools, in case someone wants to predict that coach X will make it to the Final Four, not by taking their existing team, but by being recruited by another team. For example, someone might predict that Karl Smesko will get to the FF, and if someone thinks FGCU will never make it, I want it to count if some other school recruits him and he gets there with that team.

Okay, got it. That, of course, would require a truly clairvoyant double prediction. P is withdrawn.

I really think Staley or Warlick, or both, with make it next season or the season after, or both.

I'll give some outside chances to Sue Semrau, Cori Close, Matthew Mitchell, Kevin McGuff and, if Geno Auriemma gets fired this summer, Chris Dailey.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: