RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The pessimists guide to UCONNs 2014-15 season
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLoneGranger

PostPosted: 07/06/14 2:22 pm    ::: The pessimists guide to UCONNs 2014-15 season Reply Reply with quote

The pessimists guide to UCONNs 2014-15 season

Who probably wont contribute to UCONNs 2014-15 season?

Briana Pulido and Tierney Lawlor the walk-ons cannot be expected to contribute
anything but end of game time.

Natalie Butler sitting out this season. Thank you, NCAA! And THANK YOU, Georgetown!!!!!!!!

Morgan Tuck recovery from her operation will be really tough. This poor kid deserves
some good luck. However, this is a very tough operation from which to come back. If she
plays at all this year it will be in a very limited role.

Gabby Williams she has rushed a previous ACL recovery resulting in another ACL injury. UCONNs coaching staff will keep her in check and it will retard her learning experience with UCONNs defensive and offensive systems. I dont see her playing much at all this season.

Kia Nurse - her high school and AAU (?) play on video did not impress. Her Canadian national team play is not impressive. Her field goal percentage is poor. She wont practice with UCONN until mid-October (?). Talk about a retarded learning experience. Dont see her as an asset this season.

Saniya Chong hopefully, the light will go on this season. I think she needs the ball in her hands running the show for her to excel. Not happening with MoJett as the UCONN the PG. Chongs contributions will be average, if that.

Who will contribute to UCONNs 2014-15 season?

So once again UCONN will compete for the NC with primarily 6 players. Fortunately, four of these players are really, really good. Player of the year, 2013-14, Breanna Stewart, the Rifle(wo)man Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Moriah Da Pest Jefferson, and the most improved player of the season, Kiah Stephanie, Who? Stokes. Plus two freshman, Sadie Transition Girl Edwards and Courtney 3-Ball Ekmark. Edwards will reprise Hartleys role as the aggressive driver and pusher hopefully without the ill-advised passes. Ekmark is really smart thus learning the UCONN systems will be a done deal. The girl can shoot the 3-ball. Give the The Rifle(wo)man a rest and still have the 3-ball threat on the court. Edwards is hyper-athletic. She will deliver. Ekmark is not so hyper-athletic but is driven to succeed and has the brains to anticipate the opponents moves.

So, an undefeated season? No chance. NC? A chance if there are no more injuries. If the gods give Tuck a break and she returns with pre-operation efficiency, BINGO, we have a winner! But it will be a tough season. However, UCONN won the 2013-14 NC with three freshmen making significant contributions. If anyone of the others I have discounted, manage to make significant contributions well it is all cream! I could be wrong, but I dont think so. Thank you, Mr. Monk!

sammieee

PostPosted: 07/06/14 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is, who will beat them? South Carolina if Wilson is really THAT good (and they would have to play a very good game...Mitchell and Cuevas need to hit outside shots!)? ND in the tourney?

Of course an injury to Stewert can change everything, but I have a hard time seeing an team aside from maybe ND coming close.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/06/14 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chong can shoot threes, but she hasn't found her way onto the court. Why would Ekmark succeed where she didn't?

PostPosted: 07/06/14 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Chong can shoot threes, but she hasn't found her way onto the court. Why would Ekmark succeed where she didn't?

Size, confidence, drive, attitude, and skill set. Ability to more easily integrate into the team system.

user1688

PostPosted: 07/06/14 10:37 pm    ::: Chong Reply Reply with quote

Chong can be very good if Geno gives her chance. Chong and Stewards are two best players in NY State and they have played each other for the titles in 2011-2012.

http://www.lohud.com/story/lohud-girls-basketball/2014/03/17/zacchio-uconns-saniya-chong-breanna-stewart-remember-came/6513619/

Phil

PostPosted: 07/07/14 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
The thing is, who will beat them?

ND in regular season is a possibility.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/07/14 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheLoneGranger wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Size, confidence, drive, attitude, and skill set. Ability to more easily integrate into the team system.

Ekmark is taller, but Chong is faster.

I'm curious here, more than anything else.

Chong came out of high school highly recruited after a great senior year. Ekmark didn't even play her senior year. Why would Ekmark be more confident than Chong on arrival? (Again, I'm not saying she won't be, but I just wonder why you think that way.)

The same question applies to drive and attitude -- was your impression that Chong was lacking in both those qualities on arrival? (For me, of course, not playing for your high school team your senior year just because they were going to be really bad doesn't say much about drive and attitude, but I could be wrong.)

Chong was an all-around scorer and carried the load for her high school team; Ekmark was just one of seven D-1 players, and so wasn't required to do nearly as much. She's probably a better three-point shooter, but again, I thought Chong was supposed to be a really good three-point shooter coming out of high school.

PostPosted: 07/07/14 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ekmark is taller, but Chong is faster. (How is this known? Now I am curious.)

Chong came out of high school highly recruited after a great senior year. (Was she highly recruited by the major programs? Was UCONN desperate to sign anyone since literally no one else wanted to attend UCONN for the 2012-13 season?)
Ekmark didn't even play her senior year. Why would Ekmark be more confident than Chong on arrival? (Again, I'm not saying she won't be, but I just wonder why you think that way.) (See BRIGHT LIGHTS BRING HIGHLIGHTS FROM SANIYA CHONG http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/article/8708244/uconn-recruit-saniya-chong-thrives-pressure-ossining I believe it is a persolality thing. Taking jumpers in her warm-up pants, Saniya Chong was tense. She didn't want to let anybody down by performing badly in the game to come. I think after a bit of Geno criticism this type of attitude manifested itself. It was the same a couple weeks later when, during pregame stretching, she again had a case of the nerves. Ossining squeaked that one out by a mere 50. But the 50 points and immediate success did not happen. She seem to withdraw. She's afraid of messing up. She's afraid of looking bad. She's afraid of disappointing her teammates, her fans. She could get a triple-double against some of these teams with a peg leg and an eye patch. Doesn't matter. So much is expected of this human box score that, in those solitary moments before tipoff, she shivers at the thought. This type of attitude at the college level does not produce desired the results. The balance of the article extolls her ability to perform under pressure. But I think the when the same success at the high school level did not occur, she lost confidence and played not to make mistakes.)

The same question applies to drive and attitude -- was your impression that Chong was lacking in both those qualities on arrival? (Yes it was there in high school but did manifest itself because her college competition was great. At the college level it blossomed with the avoid mistakes attitude and loss of condfidence and drive.)
(For me, of course, not playing for your high school team your senior year just because they were going to be really bad doesn't say much about drive and attitude, but I could be wrong.) (Actually, it says volumes about drive to be successful. Why work for a loser company when if you have the talent to work for an aggressive winner. Working with other type As in much more interesting than working with type Bs. The accomplishments are greater. She has competed in a boys league and trained with ex-pros get her game to a college level. This would not have been happened just playing in more high school games. Iron sharpens iron.)

Chong was an all-around scorer and carried the load for her high school team; (Exactly, she carried the load. She is a much better player with the ball in her hands than off the ball. She was the offensive system in high school. At UCONN she is an off the ball cog. She might produce better if she were moved to Jeffersons backup PG. Her three point shot is too low and slow for the college game. She needs plays and screens run for her to get an uncontested sho
t.)

Ekmark was just one of seven D-1 players, and so wasn't required to do nearly as much. (This is true. She understood her role in a system of D1 players. She knows how to play within a system and not be the system. Which is why I think she will pick up UCONN system quicker than Chong did.)
She's probably a better three-point shooter, but again, I thought Chong was supposed to be a really good three-point shooter coming out of high school. (Chong was a good 3-baller. However, high school defenses are generally poor and her low and slow 3-ball worked. She was also a bit too weak for the college game. Hopefully, she has been pumping iron all year to get stronger. Outside of the Parade anomaly, she was not ranked very high at all. I believe one of the rankers had her at 75. Ekmark has been consistently ranked much higher than Chong.)

Last edited by TheLoneGranger on 07/07/14 4:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
themick1952

PostPosted: 07/07/14 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND is possible? Maybe. But based on last years matchup and this years returning players and incoming freshman, I'm not sure it's possible at all.

Phil, how do you see them matching up?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/07/14 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheLoneGranger wrote:

Chong, from what I've heard, is one of the faster UConn players. Ekmark is not fast.

Quote:
Chong came out of high school highly recruited after a great senior year. (Was she highly recruited by the major programs? Was UCONN desperate to sign anyone since literally no one else wanted to attend UCONN for the 2012-13 season?)

Chong was fairly highly recruited, as I recall. She was a great scorer who could also pass.

Quote:
Ekmark didn't even play her senior year. Why would Ekmark be more confident than Chong on arrival? (Again, I'm not saying she won't be, but I just wonder why you think that way.) (See BRIGHT LIGHTS BRING HIGHLIGHTS FROM SANIYA CHONG http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/article/8708244/uconn-recruit-saniya-chong-thrives-pressure-ossining I believe it is a persolality thing. Taking jumpers in her warm-up pants, Saniya Chong was tense. She didn't want to let anybody down by performing badly in the game to come. I think after a bit of Geno criticism this type of attitude manifested itself. It was the same a couple weeks later when, during pregame stretching, she again had a case of the nerves. Ossining squeaked that one out by a mere 50. But the 50 points and immediate success did not happen. She seem to withdraw. She's afraid of messing up. She's afraid of looking bad. She's afraid of disappointing her teammates, her fans. She could get a triple-double against some of these teams with a peg leg and an eye patch. Doesn't matter. So much is expected of this human box score that, in those solitary moments before tipoff, she shivers at the thought. This type of attitude at the college level does not produce desired the results. The balance of the article extolls her ability to perform under pressure. But I think the when the same success at the high school level did not occur, she lost confidence and played not to make mistakes.)

Very interesting. That could have a lot to do with what's happened at UConn -- but kids do grow up, and sometimes players take time to adjust. Still, point taken ...

Quote:
The same question applies to drive and attitude -- was your impression that Chong was lacking in both those qualities on arrival? (Yes it was there in high school but did manifest itself because her competition was great. At the college level it blossomed with the avoid mistakes attitude and loss of cond=fidence and drive.)

A little unclear to me ... Chong had drive and attitude in high school, you're saying, but lost it at UConn. Not a good recommendation for Geno and staff ...

Quote:
(For me, of course, not playing for your high school team your senior year just because they were going to be really bad doesn't say much about drive and attitude, but I could be wrong.) (Actually, it says volumes about drive to be successful. Why work for a loser company when if you have the talent to work for an aggressive winner. Working with other type As in much more interesting than working with type Bs. The accomplishments are greater. She has competed in a boys league and trained with ex-pros get her game to a college level. This would not have been happened just playing in more high school games. Iron sharpens iron.)

I have to disagree on this one. For me, loyalty and commitment count very highly on the virtue list of basketball player.

Quote:
Chong was an all-around scorer and carried the load for her high school team; (Exactly, she carried the load. She is a much better player with the ball in her hands than off the ball. She was the offensive system in high school. At UCONN she is an off the ball cog. She might produce better if she were moved to Jeffersons backup PG. Her three point shot is too low and slow for the college game. She needs plays and screens ruin for her to get an uncontested shot.)

Ekmark was just one of seven D-1 players, and so wasn't required to do nearly as much. (This is true. She understood her role in a system of D1 players. She knows how to play within a system and not be the system. Which is why I think she will pick up UCONN system quicker than Chong did.)

Very good point. Ekmark should adjust more easily to a complementary role, and could be more comfortable immediately.

Quote:
She's probably a better three-point shooter, but again, I thought Chong was supposed to be a really good three-point shooter coming out of high school. (Chong was a good 3-baller. However, high school defenses are generally poor and how low and slow 3-ball worked. She was also a bit too weak for the college game. Hopefully, she has been pumping iron all year to get stronger. Outside of the Parade anomaly, she was not ranked very high at all. I believe one of the rankers had her at 75. Ekmark has been consistently ranked much higher than Chong.)

Ekmark also played against high school defenses, but did so in a scheme in which she was hard to focus on. All those other players helped her because, unlike Chong, she was far from alone.

Had Ekmark played at Ossining and Chong at St. Mary's, I wonder if Ekmark still would have been ranked ahead of Chong.

All in all, though, you make a good case that Ekmark is likely to have a stronger immediate impact than Chong. Experience does matter, though, and Chong might be ready to take a big step up.

PostPosted: 07/07/14 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The topic is to be pessimistically analytical about UConn next season.

1. I am pessimistic that there are more than two UConn players who will score more points per game than Saniya Chong.

2. Given that Chong proved very little as a freshman--primarily, I think, for mental reasons--I am pessimistic about my first pessimistic statement but have hopes for it.

Solely as high school players, which may turn out to be irrelevant, Sadie Edwards, while very good, was not on the same level as Bria Hartley or Saniya Chong as a point guard or as a shooting guard. Based on the videos and stats I've seen, neither is Kia Nurse.

I agree that their injuries make Morgan Tuck and Gabby Williams unpredictable ciphers as to how much of a contribution they can and will make.

Ekmark is also a cipher to me because I've only seen her in one full game (announced by Clay Kallam and Nell Fortner) plus several video clips. She seems to hustle and have a good shot. Not as quick as Chong or even Edwards.

My final two pessimistic thoughts:

3. Chong will never approach the versatile scoring and passing potential she showed in high school unless she controls the ball as the point guard. While she set the New York State record for most three-point makes in a season and a career, her even greater value was as an ambidextrous driver, prodigious FTA drawer, high percentage FT maker, and sophisticated inside-the-arc passer. She can't do any of those four things if she just stands outside the arc as a catch & shoot wing shooter. Geno will have to figure out a system whereby Jefferson and Chong can share the point guard spot, as Taurasi and Bird did in 2002.

4. One of these guards will end up transferring, especially if Asia Durr commits to UConn. If Chong has a season like last year, she should consider it.

Note: Chong's Ossining High School team was not weak. They competed in the highest New York State division, AA. In Chong's junior year Ossining lost to Breanna Stewart's team, the eventual state champion, in the quarter finals. Ossining's second high scorer and top rebounder transferred over the summer. In Chong's senior year Ossining won the NYS public school title. Chong then graduated and the team's second high scorer transferred to Blair Academy. Nevertheless, Ossining repeated as the NYS public school champion again last season. I think four of Chong's teammates during her junior and senior years will be good D1 players.

Oh . . . I think UConn will have a smaller seasonal margin of victory than last season when they threepeat as national champions.
beknighted

PostPosted: 07/07/14 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reading this thread, I have to admit that I've pondering the questions of whether this actually is a pessimistic view or an optimistic view and if the answer to the first question depends on what result you want from the season.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/07/14 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Reading this thread, I have to admit that I've pondering the questions of whether this actually is a pessimistic view or an optimistic view and if the answer to the first question depends on what result you want from the season.

I had the same reaction, and in particular I found it curious that a "pessimistic" view could be presented without one single mention in this entire thread of the loss of Stephanie Dolson, the impact of that loss, or the absence of any replacement for her.

themick1952

PostPosted: 07/07/14 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I had the same reaction, and in particular I found it curious that a "pessimistic" view could be presented without one single mention in this entire thread of the loss of Stephanie Dolson, the impact of that loss, or the absence of any replacement for her.

We will see how good a replacement she is, but I don't think having Stokes start in place is "no replacement".

linkster

PostPosted: 07/07/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay, in the thread about tranfers you had this to say:

Quote:
The high school situation has little to do with the college situation, granted, except for this Individuals and families, I feel, should be able to make decisions based on what they feel is best for them. They should be able to do so without the threat of loss of eligibility for athletics or drama or music or any kind of activity connected to the educational institutions involved.

and this:

Quote:
I am heavily involved at the high school level and have been for many years.

There is no regulation of any extracurricular activity except athletics.

So again, if drama students can transfer, why can't athletes? Is drama more or less important?

And if a debate student can transfer to a school with a stronger debate team that will increase his chances of getting into the school of choice, why shouldn't she? But if she's a basketball player, she can't

However when it was about Ekmark you seem to change your attitude:

Quote:
The same question applies to drive and attitude -- was your impression that Chong was lacking in both those qualities on arrival? (For me, of course, [b]not playing for your high school team your senior year just because they were going to be really bad doesn't say much about drive and attitude, but I could be wrong.)[/b]

In the first place I don't know that anyone other than you has said that she left the team because they were going to be really bad. I'd love a link to your source for that comment. From the interviews I read she said that she wanted to prepare herself the best she could for her college career and came up with a well thought out plan after seeing the 2013 FF and realizing she had to get a lot better and stronger if she was going to succeed at UConn. In fact she played on a male team and league, something that at least in CT is prohibited to high school players during the season. And she had a well-designed plan for the year, including home schooling training with a former pro basketball player and lots of strength training. Ekmark may or may not have a successful college career but all that I have read and heard in interviews is that she is a uber-motivated high achiever and not in the least bit lacking of drive or attitude.

You say several times that players should be able to do whatever is in their best interests, including transferring. Then with regards to Ekmark you say she should have shown loyalty to her high school and basically wasted her senior year as the new coach and new players likely wouldn't have helped her prepare for college basketball at all.

TheLoneGranger

PostPosted: 07/07/14 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
TheLoneGranger wrote:

Chong, from what I've heard, is one of the faster UConn players. Ekmark is not fast. (Fair enough!)

Very interesting. That could have a lot to do with what's happened at UConn -- but kids do grow up, and sometimes players take time to adjust. Still, point taken ... (True, such as Jefferson did. Who by the way Jefferson threw down the gauntlet to Chong by saying it was Chong's turn to make significant improvements between her frosh and soph years. I sincerely hope she will have improved considerably.)

A little unclear to me ... Chong had drive and attitude in high school, you're saying, but lost it at UConn. Not a good recommendation for Geno and staff ... (Geno and his staff are not infallible ... Michala Johnson, Lauren Engeln, Elena Della Donne, Liz Sherwood, Brianna Banks, Samarie Walker, Kennitra Johnson, Marci Glenney, etc. etc. etc. - all transferred out of the UCONN women's program. Geno and his staff totally whiff of these and others. So far Chong is a couple of foul tips.)

I have to disagree on this one. For me, loyalty and commitment count very highly on the virtue list of basketball player. (Perhaps, however, I grew up in a PA coal town hard against a steel town. I saw what the workers got (did not get) in return for their loyalty and commitment to their employer. Planning for the future is a must even if it means seeming to be disloyal. Geno's loyalty to Banks did not exceed his loyalty to himself and his program.)

Ekmark also played against high school defenses, but did so in a scheme in which she was hard to focus on. All those other players helped her because, unlike Chong, she was far from alone. (Ekmark is going to UCONN which is not a star system. Anywhere else, Stewart would be averaging 35+ points per game. UCONN uses a motion offense and who ever has the best shot takes it. Sometimes plays are run for a player, but they in the minority.)

Had Ekmark played at Ossining and Chong at St. Mary's, I wonder if Ekmark still would have been ranked ahead of Chong. (We will never know.)

All in all, though, you make a good case that Ekmark is likely to have a stronger immediate impact than Chong. Experience does matter, though, and Chong might be ready to take a big step up.
(Let us hope Chong takes the step that Jefferson took last year. Playing off the ball and not "being the ball" still worries me about Chong's game.)

Last edited by TheLoneGranger on 07/07/14 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheLoneGranger

PostPosted: 07/07/14 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Dolson's loss was trivialized by the impending blossoming of Stokes who in my opinion deferred to Dolson. Remember "the most improved player of the season, Kiah Stephanie, Who? Stokes." Dolson will be missed only to the extent there will no longer be a big lineup in the post -- Stewart, Dolson, Stokes. Stokes will more than replace Dolson. Besides this post is about the future and not ancient history. Who or what happen or graduated last year is totally irrelevant.

Last edited by TheLoneGranger on 07/07/14 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheLoneGranger

PostPosted: 07/07/14 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elephant man! What a memory!

linkster wrote:

Quote:
The high school situation has little to do with the college situation, granted, except for this Individuals and families, I feel, should be able to make decisions based on what they feel is best for them. They should be able to do so without the threat of loss of eligibility for athletics or drama or music or any kind of activity connected to the educational institutions involved.

and this:

Quote:

So again, if drama students can transfer, why can't athletes? Is drama more or less important?

And if a debate student can transfer to a school with a stronger debate team that will increase his chances of getting into the school of choice, why shouldn't she? But if she's a basketball player, she can't

Quote:
The same question applies to drive and attitude -- was your impression that Chong was lacking in both those qualities on arrival? (For me, of course, [b]not playing for your high school team your senior year just because they were going to be really bad doesn't say much about drive and attitude, but I could be wrong.)[/b]

In the first place I don't know that anyone other than you has said that she left the team because they were going to be really bad. I'd love a link to your source for that comment. From the interviews I read she said that she wanted to prepare herself the best she could for her college career and came up with a well thought out plan after seeing the 2013 FF and realizing she had to get a lot better and stronger if she was going to succeed at UConn. In fact she played on a male team and league, something that at least in CT is prohibited to high school players during the season. And she had a well-designed plan for the year, including home schooling training with a former pro basketball player and lots of strength training. Ekmark may or may not have a successful college career but all that I have read and heard in interviews is that she is a uber-motivated high achiever and not in the least bit lacking of drive or attitude.

You say several times that players should be able to do whatever is in their best interests, including transferring. Then with regards to Ekmark you say she should have shown loyalty to her high school and basically wasted her senior year as the new coach and new players likely wouldn't have helped her prepare for college basketball at all.

Elephant man! What a memory!

Phil

PostPosted: 07/07/14 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

themick1952 wrote:
ND is possible? Maybe. But based on last years matchup and this years returning players and incoming freshman, I'm not sure it's possible at all.

If you are who I think you are, you're the king of match-ups, and I wouldn't even try, for fear of looking silly.

I'm going with ND partly because I declared two years in a row that they lost so much they were going to fad a bit, and that didn't happen, so I'm nto saying it again until it happens.

Plus, I did a small analysis (see http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=80926)

and noticed that while ND loses a fair bit, so do all the top teams, and they have a lot incoming, so I don't see them dropping much, if at all.

themick1952

PostPosted: 07/07/14 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
themick1952 wrote:

If you are who I think you are, you're the king of match-ups, and I wouldn't even try, for fear of looking silly.

I'm going with ND partly because I declared two years in a row that they lost so much they were going to fad a bit, and that didn't happen, so I'm nto saying it again until it happens.

Plus, I did a small analysis (see http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=80926)

and noticed that while ND loses a fair bit, so do all the top teams, and they have a lot incoming, so I don't see them dropping much, if at all.

I could never make you look silly.

I will say that ND will be terrific again this season. Any team with Loyd and now Turner will be in the upper echelon of WCBB.

That being said, once Stewart figured it out, ND lost by 18 and 21 the last two times they met. I don't understand the fear.

I'm glad they meet in the regular season so we don't have to wait until the post season to find out where they stand.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/08/14 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Quote:

and this:

Quote:

Quote:

Everyone on the west coast who follows club knows thats why she left, same reason she stopped playing club!!! The last time anyone saw her play was at the Rose Classic, ask those guys what they thought!!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: Chong- She needs, imo, to change her dribbling posture and her shot-release point (and add a jump shot) in order to excel at UConn.

Despite "succumbing to the pressure" last season, I believe she has the required intestinal fortitude, drive and ability to make adjustments and improve her game.

Her (expected) development is one of the things I most look forward to in the upcoming campaign. ..(Along w/ the frosh class/Tuck/Stokes/and how the Wholly Trinity of MJ, KL, and BS assume total command of the team).

PostPosted: 07/08/14 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Quote:

and this:

Quote:

Quote:

I fully support the Ekmark family's ability to make a decision -- that doesn't mean I agree with the decision.

It may turn out to be the right one, it may not. When kids transfer, sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.

"Wasted her senior year" ... so does that mean every girl who plays basketball for an inferior high school team is "wasting her senior year"?

Maybe so, but to me there's more to playing in high school than winning games and advancing your career. To the Ekmarks, clearly, that was not the case, and that's fine -- that's their decision.

I think it was the wrong decision for a variety of reasons, but I won't repeat that discussion.

And the Knights were 4-22 last year. Do you think they could have played .500 basketball with a UConn recruit on the roster?

PostPosted: 07/08/14 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also thought Ekmark's "year off" was odd. I really don't recall any other top recruit with good grades doing that.

No one knows what she really did all year. If she played some street or club ball, those things aren't significant learning experiences. They're just mainly unstructured games with no teaching component.

I just assumed one of the key reasons for her hiatus was that her father, Curtis Ekmark, quit as coach of her high school team and all the other good players graduated. Coco Miller quit as St. Mary's replacement coach after four days last summer. Everyone seemed to know the team was going to be very weak, but perhaps something else was going on there.

That always raised the question in my mind as to why Ekmark didn't just enroll at UConn last summer. She was apparently eligible. What could be a better learning experience? One seemingly obvious answer is that she knew she would be riding the low bench for a year. That may not have appealed to her either, even on a championship team.

I don't have any reason to care about her decision, and respect it, but I do think it's very out of the ordinary.
themick1952

PostPosted: 07/08/14 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK - not playing for your high school team your senior year just because they were going to be really bad doesn't say much about drive and attitude, but I could be wrong.)[/b]

Yes, wrong on a few counts.

Show where she said she didn't play for her HS team JUST because they were bad. She didn't.

And you are just not disagreeing with her decision, you are questioning her drive and attitude. You couldn't be more wrong about that.

You have also called her JUST a 3 point shooter. Wrong about that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: