RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alexis Jones (Duke) to Transfer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 07/13/14 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
greatgator wrote:
Queenie wrote:
If I have read between the lines correctly, *now* I'm going to lose respect for her.

Based on heresay

You read the lines right.It a different group of girls and families now. It about kids have choices and you have to live with them. For that 3rd and 4th hearsay. I'm a club coach and insider to dfw basketball parents.I have one daughter playing college ball now and another own the way. The basketball community is very close family.Furthermore I don't make up information ,I just pass it on.

Everything you are posting is hearsay, no matter how connect you are in the community or on the team, it's still hearsay because you are not the person it's happening to or as Howee says if you aren't be told by Alexis it's hearsay because you are not getting information from the person herself, and things can be misinterpreted or a person can impart their own bias into what they were told based on things they have heard in the past or feel about the subject.

ScottS

PostPosted: 07/13/14 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, some ugly posts in here. I look forward to watching Alexis play in Waco after sitting 1 year.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 07/13/14 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
bacabuck wrote:
Phil wrote:
I am sure they realize it.

But realizing it, and knowing what to do are very different things.

I like Coach P, and am pulling for her, but recognize that all it not going as well as one would like.

As NoDakSt notes, she is a Sweet 16 coach.

The school wants a Final Foour coach and an NC or two.

But Final Four caliber coaches aren't exactly thick on the ground.

If you decided you needed to upgrade, who would you go after? I think there is a short list of coaches with a proven ability to make the Final Four, most of whom aren't going to be moved. If you don;t go there, you have to identify the coach who hasn't yet been to the Final Four, but could with the right talent. I suspect there are such coaches, but it isn't a trivial exercise to identify them, and it is still a crap shoot if you think you've found one.

Actually, it might be a fun exercise, perhaps in a new thread. Which coach will get a team to the Final Four for the fist time? Either with their existing school, or at a new school?

I like this post..........We entered the crap shoot by selecting Kevin McGuff and so I nominate him as the next "first time to the Final Four coach"........don't know yet what year that will be.

There's two parts to this question. First, who are the coaches good enough as coaches and recruiters to get to the Final Four. Second, of that pool who will be the first to get there.

I think McGuff meets the first and will get there. But I think he's still a few years away in building the talent level at OhSt so he won't be the first. Staley has to be the obvious answer as the most likely "first" and I think she is a virtual lock to make it by 2016 if not 2015.

I get it..........you are talking about Dawn Staley!

My first thought was "oh yeah, that fiesty little guard out of UVa who played on the Olympic team". Turns out that it was 3 Olympics and she's been a coach for 15 years! Oh well, enough of the time warp stuff..........Good choice!

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/13/14 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
greatgator wrote:
Queenie wrote:
If I have read between the lines correctly, *now* I'm going to lose respect for her.

Based on heresay

You read the lines right.It a different group of girls and families now. It about kids have choices and you have to live with them. For that 3rd and 4th hearsay. I'm a club coach and insider to dfw basketball parents.I have one daughter playing college ball now and another own the way. The basketball community is very close family.Furthermore I don't make up information ,I just pass it on.

Everything you are posting is hearsay, no matter how connect you are in the community or on the team, it's still hearsay because you are not the person it's happening to or as Howee says if you aren't be told by Alexis it's hearsay because you are not getting information from the person herself, and things can be misinterpreted or a person can impart their own bias into what they were told based on things they have heard in the past or feel about the subject.

If we limited this forum to what would count as testimony in a court of law, it would be a pretty boring place.

PostPosted: 07/13/14 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clayk always a voice of reason.Howee I understand your point. I can't wait to see her back on the court.Baylor will be peaking again they have some nice pieces for the future.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/13/14 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's also not like there aren't a whole host of reasons why someone might choose to accept a free education at one of the elite institutions of higher education in the country, even if it is out of their home state. Exceptional high schoolers do that (and beg for the opportunity to do that) every day.

Nor are these decisions ever premised on one single factor.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/13/14 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
greatgator wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Based on heresay

If we limited this forum to what would count as testimony in a court of law, it would be a pretty boring place.

I didn't say not to post hearsay, but just pointing out that what was posted is hearsay, I don't understand why allenlevell is "shocked" when a person points out that it is hearsay and not fact, and he replies that he is well connected and doesn't make up information. You or anyone can post all the hearsay they want, but understand that it is hearsay and not a fact.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/13/14 5:17 pm    ::: LOL Reply Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked I thought I was posting on a message board Laughing

Howee

PostPosted: 07/14/14 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Hearsay is not "bad", in and of itself, until....until it morphs into something people begin to believe as true, and then take actions based on that (alleged) truth.

Opinions are subjective. (Known) Facts are objective. We hopefully use these *tools* to construct a reliable story, based on a set off probabilities and possibilities. And sometimes we come close, or sometimes we don't. Razz

PostPosted: 07/14/14 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Hearsay is not "bad", in and of itself, until....until it morphs into something people begin to believe as true, and then take actions based on that (alleged) truth.

Amen. Hearsay is fodder for conversation on message boards, but I hope I would never form a judgement or lose respect for a person based on rumor and heresay.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/14/14 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Howee wrote:

Amen. Hearsay is fodder for conversation on message boards, but I hope I would never form a judgement or lose respect for a person based on rumor and heresay.

The reliability of hearsay evidence can vary widely based on the reliability of the source. But I suspect calling this "hearsay" is using the term inappropriately and giving the story far too much credence.

The only ones who know why Jones made the initial decision she made are her, and maybe her parents. The likelihood that she ever said "I don't want to go to Baylor because [of the reason attributed to her in this thread]" is less than zero. Which means that what we are dealing with here isn't "hearsay" but merely some unknown third party's speculation that has been passed around as gossip. That the rumour was circulated in Dallas coaching circles doesn't make it any more credible.

It's unfortunate she's being smeared by such gossip and rumors, but that's the way of the internet I suppose.

ball4life

PostPosted: 07/14/14 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know girls talk, and if you have kids that play you can find out a lot of stuff if you have a good relationship with them and they are cool with a lot of people. It's hard to accept something that doesn't fit in your box until you have the facts. So in this instance all "facts" are "hearsay" until they are proven. But of course everything published on the internet is true.

ball4life

PostPosted: 07/14/14 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know girls talk, and if you have kids that play you can find out a lot of stuff if you have a good relationship with them and they are cool with a lot of people. It's hard to accept something that doesn't fit in your box until you have the facts. So in this instance all "facts" are "hearsay" until they are proven. But of course everything published on the internet is true.

ball4life

PostPosted: 07/14/14 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/14/14 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/14/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most kids in college have the attitudes/mores based on the culture they grew up in and/or what their folks crammed down their throats. I try to be less judgmental about these kinds of things until they've been out on their own for awhile.

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/20/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by Genero36 on 02/20/18 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/18 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a different Alexis Jones.... not the one from Duke/Baylor.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/20/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This is a different Alexis Jones.... not the one from Duke/Baylor.

I know. My mistake. I thought I hit new thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: