RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alexis Jones (Duke) to Transfer
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uconnfan1

PostPosted: 06/30/14 5:13 pm    ::: Alexis Jones (Duke) to Transfer Reply Reply with quote

Duke has granted a release to Alexis Jones. Huge loss for Duke. IMHO prior to her injury she was Duke's best player. Duke recently hired Rene Haynes as a new Ass't Coach who is going to coach the guards. Could this hire have contributed? Just speculating as I don't know why Alexis is transferring.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/30/14 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interested to hear what the Duke contingent has to say (if something other than JPM sucks).

Good luck to AJ.

PostPosted: 06/30/14 8:50 pm    ::: Re: Alexis Jones (Duke) to Transfer Reply Reply with quote

Duke article states Alexis wants to be close to home in Irving Texas due to her injuries. http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=209535960

uconnfan1 wrote:
Duke has granted a release to Alexis Jones. Huge loss for Duke. IMHO prior to her injury she was Duke's best player. Duke recently hired Rene Haynes as a new Ass't Coach who is going to coach the guards. Could this hire have contributed? Just speculating as I don't know why Alexis is transferring.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/30/14 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow! this is a big one. I've thought Alexis would be a high W pick. Now I guess she'll be a year delayed. Wonder which Texas school just won the lottery.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 07/01/14 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
wow! this is a big one. I've thought Alexis would be a high W pick. Now I guess she'll be a year delayed. Wonder which Texas school just won the lottery.

She was going to miss the season most likely with the ACL, so it's the perfect time if she was going to transfer.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/01/14 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those who have claimed that players don't like playing basketball at Duke (but like the school) have some more ammunition, it would seem.

Jones is a huge loss, an elite player, and the competition for her will be fierce. Karen Aston at Texas is a noted recruiter, and landing Jones would be huge for that program.

PostPosted: 07/01/14 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can understand someone suffering a serious injury wanting to be closer to family. But it's at that same time that I would hope the person would become acutely aware of how fleeting athletics can be and how valuable a sheepskin from a place like Duke can be for the next forty years in the real world.

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/01/14 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x1625943466/Dukes-Alexis-Jones-to-transfer-closer-to-home

Quote:
A source close to the rising junior said that shes looking at Baylor, Texas, LSU and South Carolina, where she also has close family.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/01/14 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm strictly talking out my ass here, with no inside information whatsoever, but is it possible that there was any mistreatment of the injury at Duke by their medical staff, and that's why she wants to get away from Duke and be closer to home?

PostPosted: 07/01/14 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on down to LSU

PostPosted: 07/01/14 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/duke/x1625943466/Dukes-Alexis-Jones-to-transfer-closer-to-home

Quote:
A source close to the rising junior said that shes looking at Baylor, Texas, LSU and South Carolina, where she also has close family.

South Carolina belies the "wanna be closer to home" thang, even if there's *family* in SC. But frankly, I don't blame the kid--and the timing to move on is perfect.

PostPosted: 07/01/14 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Look at the transfers and defections:

Chloe Wells, 5-6 G.....repeatedly removed from the team for cvarious "infractions".

Sierra Moore, 5-10 wing....transfers to PSU after her first year at Duke

Kianna Holland, 5-8 PG.....transfers to Ohio State after first session at Duke

Alexis Jones, 5-9 ...leaves Duke after Sophomore season.

Duke roster:

6-5 Azura Stewart
6-4 Erin mathis
6-4 Amber Henson
6-4 Kendall Cooper
6-4 Oderah Chidom
6-3 Lynee Belton
6-3 Elizabeth Wiliiams
6-1 Rebecca Greenwell.

I think the evidence supports a fairly obvious deduction and that is that PMAc is a Size Queen. If you don't got inches, she ain't got the time. Give me your centers, your posts, your forwards.....but I am not going to deal with you puny point guards.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/01/14 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I'm strictly talking out my ass here, with no inside information whatsoever, but is it possible that there was any mistreatment of the injury at Duke by their medical staff, and that's why she wants to get away from Duke and be closer to home?

I don't know anything about the Duke medical staff, but as an aside, I do know something about how the Duke Medical Center pays their nurses, and it's LOUSY. You're supposed to be grateful for the prestige of working for the Duke name and forget that the pay sucks compared to other places (even some in NC).

PostPosted: 07/04/14 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Interested to hear what the Duke contingent has to say (if something other than JPM sucks).

Good luck to AJ.

Combination of factors - Alexis knows JPM is not taking Duke to a FF and she'd like to go. She wants to be a high pick in the WNBA and knows Duke players are picked lower than their talent. Also note that the entire recruiting class of Alexis Jones, Sierra Moore and Katie Heckman is no longer playing for Duke. Heckman is at Duke, not on the team due to medical hardship

Also leaving the team in the two years Alexis was there were Senior Chloe Wells and frosh Kianna Holland who packed up and left right after finals, calling to let them know she was gone.

And, it seems that Alexis does want to be closer to home during her rehab. Getting both knees done has got to be incredibly debilitating. This way she won't have anyone pressuring her to get back on the court ASAP. She's personally witnessed three different players struggle mightily with knee injuries during her two years. Maybe it's true that she wants to try a new rehab/training staff.

Duke is not getting any more top recruiting classes. Unless there's a year in which the top 5 players are all serious pre-med students.

~rAf
LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 07/05/14 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When she was healthy, she was one of the truly elite PGs in the country. Hard to predict what she will play like after procedures on both knees.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/05/14 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't realize it was both knees. What's she having done?

PostPosted: 07/05/14 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I didn't realize it was both knees. What's she having done?

From the Herald-Sun article :

Jones tore the ACL in her left knee at Notre Dame last February and missed the final seven games of the season. While repairing the ACL tear, a source close to Jones said that doctors also decided to repair her right knee, which had been bothering her since high school. Those injuries were sustained in a car accident that left her father paralyzed.

petejones

PostPosted: 07/05/14 2:20 pm    ::: readyaim is MoFANclub a Mod. on the Duke board Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Good luck to AJ.

Combination of factors - Alexis knows JPM is not taking Duke to a FF and she'd like to go. She wants to be a high pick in the WNBA and knows Duke players are picked lower than their talent. Also note that the entire recruiting class of Alexis Jones, Sierra Moore and Katie Heckman is no longer playing for Duke. Heckman is at Duke, not on the team due to medical hardship

Also leaving the team in the two years Alexis was there were Senior Chloe Wells and frosh Kianna Holland who packed up and left right after finals, calling to let them know she was gone.

And, it seems that Alexis does want to be closer to home during her rehab. Getting both knees done has got to be incredibly debilitating. This way she won't have anyone pressuring her to get back on the court ASAP. She's personally witnessed three different players struggle mightily with knee injuries during her two years. Maybe it's true that she wants to try a new rehab/training staff.

Duke is not getting any more top recruiting classes. Unless there's a year in which the top 5 players are all serious pre-med students.

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/07/14 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be Baylor.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/lady-bears-pick-up-big-transfer-with-pg-jones/article_42c1d6c0-b589-5ff4-8aff-073e10884927.html

Phil

PostPosted: 07/07/14 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I glanced at a map, noticed that SMU was closest, but not likely to be in the running, and Waco looked next closest.

Looks like Kim hit the lottery.

Howee

PostPosted: 07/07/14 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for BOTH Alexis and Kim. I'd think she can go far there.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 3:02 am    ::: Anyone Really Surprised Reply Reply with quote

Wants to follow Sims. Here's hoping that she can recover and fulfill dreams, kid has had a tough time of it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 07/08/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So when is Duke going to realize that Coach P is not keeping the recruits she gets, or getting the job done? Just asking.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
So when is Duke going to realize that Coach P is not keeping the recruits she gets, or getting the job done? Just asking.

Despite all the reported "Crazy tweets" and the myriad of weird comings and goings by players (AND assistant coaches), PMac is going to be around as long as she keeps winning. Do you get rid of a perennial sweet 16 Coach? Granted the talent is there for more, much more,but you could do a lot worse. I don't know what the expectations for PMac and staff are each year from an athletic department perspective. Win the Regular season ACC? When the ACC tournament? Get to the sweet 16? Final Four? She's got her teams in the top of the conference (although with Notre Dame and L'Ville entering the league - two coaches that know how to develop teams -) Duke's conference titles will notecably decrease.

Phil

PostPosted: 07/08/14 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am sure they realize it.

But realizing it, and knowing what to do are very different things.

I like Coach P, and am pulling for her, but recognize that all it not going as well as one would like.

As NoDakSt notes, she is a Sweet 16 coach.

The school wants a Final Foour coach and an NC or two.

But Final Four caliber coaches aren't exactly thick on the ground.

If you decided you needed to upgrade, who would you go after? I think there is a short list of coaches with a proven ability to make the Final Four, most of whom aren't going to be moved. If you don;t go there, you have to identify the coach who hasn't yet been to the Final Four, but could with the right talent. I suspect there are such coaches, but it isn't a trivial exercise to identify them, and it is still a crap shoot if you think you've found one.

Actually, it might be a fun exercise, perhaps in a new thread. Which coach will get a team to the Final Four for the fist time? Either with their existing school, or at a new school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: