RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Alexis Jones (Duke) to Transfer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/08/14 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So she is choosing to go play for the bigots of Baylor. No respect left for her. At all.

Too bad. I would have enjoyed rooting for a player of her caliber.

greatgator

PostPosted: 07/08/14 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
So she is choosing to go play for the bigots of Baylor. No respect left for her. At all.

So, nothing she has been through (the accident, the paralysis of her father in that accident, her determination to persevere, her desire to be closer to her family....is worthy of respect?

BUfan

PostPosted: 07/08/14 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I would suspect she thinks you are a bigot also

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/08/14 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BUfan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

You're right. Because just like her, I do choose to work for and promote an organization that discriminates and oppresses - by stated policy - an entire minority population. And just like you, I claim allegiance to one in my screen name.

Oh wait. Actually, I don't.

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/08/14 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BUfan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

...or not?

BUfan

PostPosted: 07/08/14 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And...you just proved my point

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/08/14 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BUfan wrote:
And...you just proved my point

You had a point?

Howee

PostPosted: 07/08/14 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The selective sniping at Baylor for its *bigotry* really is a bit disingenuous, unless one is an equal opportunity decrier of ALL such universities: for starters, there's Houston Baptist, Belmont, and Mercer, to name a few Baptist institutions that field basketball teams. Then, there's Notre Dame, et. al., if we wanna go to universities associated with Other Really Scummy Churches.

Official Policies of Discrimination are not the sole domain of Baylor.

PostPosted: 07/09/14 5:27 am    ::: Hmmmm Reply Reply with quote

Is it factual that you think this person is a bigot and have actual knowledge that she was or is it that she chose to not want to make it an issue at a school that had opposing beliefs? Just a question not arguing for or against.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/09/14 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Interested to hear what the Duke contingent has to say (if something other than JPM sucks).

Good luck to AJ.

Combination of factors - Alexis knows JPM is not taking Duke to a FF and she'd like to go. She wants to be a high pick in the WNBA and knows Duke players are picked lower than their talent. Also note that the entire recruiting class of Alexis Jones, Sierra Moore and Katie Heckman is no longer playing for Duke. Heckman is at Duke, not on the team due to medical hardship

Also leaving the team in the two years Alexis was there were Senior Chloe Wells and frosh Kianna Holland who packed up and left right after finals, calling to let them know she was gone.

And, it seems that Alexis does want to be closer to home during her rehab. Getting both knees done has got to be incredibly debilitating. This way she won't have anyone pressuring her to get back on the court ASAP. She's personally witnessed three different players struggle mightily with knee injuries during her two years. Maybe it's true that she wants to try a new rehab/training staff.

Duke is not getting any more top recruiting classes. Unless there's a year in which the top 5 players are all serious pre-med students.

Thanks RAF. I think I'm coming around to the fact that all y'all were right about JPM, 3-4 years ago. Smile

I guess that '05 MSU team, which I loved, was more about the players than the coach.

PostPosted: 07/09/14 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
The selective sniping at Baylor for its *bigotry* really is a bit disingenuous, unless one is an equal opportunity decrier of ALL such universities: for starters, there's Houston Baptist, Belmont, and Mercer, to name a few Baptist institutions that field basketball teams. Then, there's Notre Dame, et. al., if we wanna go to universities associated with Other Really Scummy Churches.

Official Policies of Discrimination are not the sole domain of Baylor.

X_________

PostPosted: 07/09/14 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, my biggest gripe about Baylor isn't even about the denomination it's associated with. I simply would not allow my child to go to a school whose president/chancellor or whatever they heck they call him is Ken Starr. YMMV.

PostPosted: 07/09/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really, truly, sincerely doubt that Alexis Jones gives anything that remotely resembles a fuck about anything regarding Baylor University except that it is a BCS school close to her hometown with a good women's basketball program. Whether she should give anything that remotely resembles a fuck about anything else regarding Baylor University is, of course, a matter of opinion.

And, as Howee points out, there are many, many, many church-affiliated schools in the NCAA- we might be most aware of Baylor's stated policies and the enforcement thereof because of Griner's comments, but there are others out there. (This is why I vetted my college choices to avoid church-affiliated schools. And somehow I ended up with mostly Catholic schools among my teams, go figure.)

PostPosted: 07/12/14 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I really, truly, sincerely doubt that Alexis Jones gives anything that remotely resembles a fuck about anything regarding Baylor University except that it is a BCS school close to her hometown with a good women's basketball program. Whether she should give anything that remotely resembles a fuck about anything else regarding Baylor University is, of course, a matter of opinion.

And, as Howee points out, there are many, many, many church-affiliated schools in the NCAA- we might be most aware of Baylor's stated policies and the enforcement thereof because of Griner's comments, but there are others out there. (This is why I vetted my college choices to avoid church-affiliated schools. And somehow I ended up with mostly Catholic schools among my teams, go figure.)

______X
If anyone doesnt knows baylor women basketball recruiting.Let me inform you.1)Baylor had a pipeline from DFW Elite at 6 players on the Nat title team from one aau team.2) Alexis Jones and Moriah jefferson did not go baylor because type of players on the team(lifestyle issues).3)Baylor won the lottery simply because closest BCS school to home and Mulkey has great relationship with the family.4) She a very calculated young lady.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 07/12/14 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I am sure they realize it.

But realizing it, and knowing what to do are very different things.

I like Coach P, and am pulling for her, but recognize that all it not going as well as one would like.

As NoDakSt notes, she is a Sweet 16 coach.

The school wants a Final Foour coach and an NC or two.

But Final Four caliber coaches aren't exactly thick on the ground.

If you decided you needed to upgrade, who would you go after? I think there is a short list of coaches with a proven ability to make the Final Four, most of whom aren't going to be moved. If you don;t go there, you have to identify the coach who hasn't yet been to the Final Four, but could with the right talent. I suspect there are such coaches, but it isn't a trivial exercise to identify them, and it is still a crap shoot if you think you've found one.

Actually, it might be a fun exercise, perhaps in a new thread. Which coach will get a team to the Final Four for the fist time? Either with their existing school, or at a new school?

I like this post..........We entered the crap shoot by selecting Kevin McGuff and so I nominate him as the next "first time to the Final Four coach"........don't know yet what year that will be.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/12/14 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Lifestyle issues" with some of the players who were on the team? But *now* she's comfortable going to Baylor? If I have read between the lines correctly, *now* I'm going to lose respect for her.

PostPosted: 07/12/14 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
If I have read between the lines correctly, *now* I'm going to lose respect for her.

Based on heresay

Howee

PostPosted: 07/12/14 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I think there is a short list of coaches with a proven ability to make the Final Four, most of whom aren't going to be moved. If you don't go there, you have to identify the coach who hasn't yet been to the Final Four, but could with the right talent.

"Short list" of proven coaches? Absolutely. As it should be. However I'd suggest that the crux of the matter lie not with coaching caliber--there are MANY that *could* lead a team there--but rather with the degree of TALENT on a team. Talent-laden teams of UConn/Notre Dame/Stanford/TN caliber are few and far between. Duke HAS BEEN one of those....but never gets there.

greatgator wrote:
Queenie wrote:
If I have read between the lines correctly, *now* I'm going to lose respect for her.

Based on heresay

Hmmm. Reading 'between the lines' of 3rd & 4th person hearsay is always a slippery slope. I'd reserve judgment just yet. Wink

PostPosted: 07/12/14 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:
Phil wrote:
I am sure they realize it.

But realizing it, and knowing what to do are very different things.

I like Coach P, and am pulling for her, but recognize that all it not going as well as one would like.

As NoDakSt notes, she is a Sweet 16 coach.

The school wants a Final Foour coach and an NC or two.

But Final Four caliber coaches aren't exactly thick on the ground.

If you decided you needed to upgrade, who would you go after? I think there is a short list of coaches with a proven ability to make the Final Four, most of whom aren't going to be moved. If you don;t go there, you have to identify the coach who hasn't yet been to the Final Four, but could with the right talent. I suspect there are such coaches, but it isn't a trivial exercise to identify them, and it is still a crap shoot if you think you've found one.

Actually, it might be a fun exercise, perhaps in a new thread. Which coach will get a team to the Final Four for the fist time? Either with their existing school, or at a new school?

I like this post..........We entered the crap shoot by selecting Kevin McGuff and so I nominate him as the next "first time to the Final Four coach"........don't know yet what year that will be.

There's two parts to this question. First, who are the coaches good enough as coaches and recruiters to get to the Final Four. Second, of that pool who will be the first to get there.

I think McGuff meets the first and will get there. But I think he's still a few years away in building the talent level at OhSt so he won't be the first. Staley has to be the obvious answer as the most likely "first" and I think she is a virtual lock to make it by 2016 if not 2015.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 07/12/14 1:53 pm    ::: HAHA Reply Reply with quote

But will McGuff run out of employment opportunities for family members before he gets there. Sorry couldn't help myself.

allenleavell

PostPosted: 07/12/14 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Based on heresay

You read the lines right.It a different group of girls and families now. It about kids have choices and you have to live with them. For that 3rd and 4th hearsay. I'm a club coach and insider to dfw basketball parents.I have one daughter playing college ball now and another own the way. The basketball community is very close family.Furthermore I don't make up information ,I just pass it on.

allenleavell

Dp

Last edited by allenleavell on 07/12/14 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
allenleavell

Dam ipad

bacabuck

PostPosted: 07/12/14 11:13 pm    ::: Re: HAHA Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
But will McGuff run out of employment opportunities for family members before he gets there. Sorry couldn't help myself.

No worries, we have plenty of employment opportunities for talented parents in our vast system............It's a very large and loving family.

Who is Stanly?

Howee

PostPosted: 07/12/14 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
Furthermore I don't make up information ,I just pass it on.

Unless Alexis Jones herself has told you the information that you're 'passing on', it's gossip, and shouldn't necessarily be presented as The Gospel Truth. There's a difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: