RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

T Tech Football Player Kicked Out of School
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/29/14 10:43 pm    ::: T Tech Football Player Kicked Out of School Reply Reply with quote

For punching Amber Battle in the face!

Can't paste link for some reason. It's on ESPN page.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/30/14 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heard about this...what a disaster:

http://m.lubbockonline.com/crime-and-courts/2014-06-28/battle-hit-face-tech-football-recruit

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 06/30/14 8:57 am    ::: Re: T Tech Football Player Kicked Out of School Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
For punching Amber Battle in the face!

Can't paste link for some reason. It's on ESPN page.

Could you (or a mod) change the title of this thread? Tech Lady Raider Amber Battle's being punched is the lede, not the football signee's expulsion.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/30/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Heard about this...what a disaster:

http://m.lubbockonline.com/crime-and-courts/2014-06-28/battle-hit-face-tech-football-recruit

Trouble finds HIM?????? *Expletive deleted* because I try to be a lady sometimes! That little overgrown boy needs to learn to keep his fists to himself! I'm glad he got kicked out of school and I hope the legal system and the courts have something to say to him too!

PostPosted: 06/30/14 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, but it sounds like a guy who has mommy issues.

PostPosted: 07/04/14 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.texastech.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/070414aaa.html

Amber Battle says she initiated contact and has been suspended from competition for the month of November.

Quote:
Bethel was dismissed from the football program on Sunday, June 29, for his involvement in the incident. Texas Tech Athletics does not tolerate violence against women.

PostPosted: 07/04/14 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:

Amber Battle says she initiated contact and has been suspended from competition for the month of November.

Quote:
Bethel was dismissed from the football program on Sunday, June 29, for his involvement in the incident. Texas Tech Athletics does not tolerate violence against women.

But of course no one in this thread had any interest in waiting for any facts to come out before jumping all over the football player.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/04/14 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

Quote:

But of course no one in this thread had any interest in waiting for any facts to come out before jumping all over the football player.

Yes, shockingly, women's basketball fans jump to emotional conclusions when we hear a football player has punched a women's basketball player in the face and broken a bone therein. And there's a difference between "initiated the first contact" and "broke a bone".

Something discomfits me about the football boosters who immediately assumed she'd done something to deserve it being validated, too. That's more of a personal distaste, though.

PostPosted: 07/04/14 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

Quote:

Yes, shockingly, women's basketball fans jump to emotional conclusions when we hear a football player has punched a women's basketball player in the face and broken a bone therein. And there's a difference between "initiated the first contact" and "broke a bone".

Something discomfits me about the football boosters who immediately assumed she'd done something to deserve it being validated, too. That's more of a personal distaste, though.

There's a difference in characterization, that's all anyone here knows. One characterized as "punch", one as "initiated first contact". Neither very descriptive of what actually happened.

Unless someone here has a video, I think I'll wait for some facts. Excuse me if that's a problem. I'm not the one here "immediately assuming" anything. I'm sure it's unsettling to some that her appology and suspension seem inconsistent with the immediate assumption that she was a totally innocent victim. In the end he may totally deserve the condemnation, but it would be nice to base that condemnation on facts rather than unfounded assumptions and biases. It appears there is more to this story than the early reports reflected.

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/04/14 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

Quote:

There's a difference in characterization, that's all anyone here knows. One characterized as "punch", one as "initiated first contact". Neither very descriptive of what actually happened.

Unless someone here has a video, I think I'll wait for some facts. Excuse me if that's a problem. I'm not the one here "immediately assuming" anything. I'm sure it's unsettling to some that her appology and suspension seem inconsistent with the immediate assumption that she was a totally innocent victim. In the end he may totally deserve the condemnation, but it would be nice to base that condemnation on facts rather than unfounded assumptions and biases. It appears there is more to this story than the early reports reflected.

X_________

All in all, this is very strange. I try to think of scenario where a football player would get so incensed, he'd punch a young woman in a pickup basketball game.

Of course the punch is inexcusable, so he's guilty pretty much no matter what, but even so, the circumstances do have to be considered, and we have no idea what they were.

PostPosted: 07/05/14 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:

Quote:

This is strange..but it's also a common response of women who are abused, that it's somehow "their fault". However, Real Men do not hit women. Ever.

PostPosted: 07/05/14 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

Quote:

This is strange..but it's also a common response of women who are abused, that it's somehow "their fault". However, Real Men do not hit women. Ever.

Real men don't hit other men either. I'm amused at all the responses (not just here) indicating it would be a lesser offense if he had hit another man hard enough to break the bones in his face.

PostPosted: 07/05/14 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Joe Foss wrote:

Quote:

Real men don't hit other men either. I'm amused at all the responses (not just here) indicating it would be a lesser offense if he had hit another man hard enough to break the bones in his face.

Well, no they don't, but this thread was about a guy hitting a woman. I don't think the punishment should have been any less if he'd hit a teammate in the face hard enough to break bones either, but that wasn't what happened. I am speaking specifically to THIS storyline.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 5:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amber Battle should not be suspended. In fact, she should be expelled as well. Now Nigel Bethel has a good case of filing a discrimination lawsuit against TTU for practicing the double standards.

R-

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/08/14 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Amber Battle should not be suspended. In fact, she should be expelled as well. Now Nigel Bethel has a good case of filing a discrimination lawsuit against TTU for practicing the double standards.

R-

I think that it boils down to exactly what it was that she did.

She said that she initiated the contact. Did she bump into him? Did she foul him? Did she put her finger in his chest and yell at him? Did she shove him? Did she trip him? Did she take a swing (and connect) at him? Did she hit him in his groin?

I'm thinking that it was more the shove-variety of contact. Anything less, shouldn't be a month-long suspension, anything more should be expulsion.

I think that there's also the length of time each has been at the school that plays a part in the decision. Seriously, the guy has been on campus for what, a month? And he's already punching people? TT was right to cut their losses and get as far away from him as possible.

AB has 3+ years of hopefully all good behavior to back her up in giving her another chance.

ridor

PostPosted: 07/08/14 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you go to ESPN's comment section on Nigel's expulsion article - there are a couple of individuals claiming to be witnesses - they said that Amber was the first one strike - with her fists attacking right behind Nigel's back. And it escalated.

R-

linkster

PostPosted: 07/08/14 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this expulsion policy was applied to college hockey there wouldn't be enough players left to have a year-end tournament.

Isn't it odd that despite fighting being against the rules in one sport players can beat each other to a pulp and it's applauded as "hard nosed" while in another sport players get tossed from school?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/08/14 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

I think that it boils down to exactly what it was that she did.

I think this is absolutely correct for BOTH of them

She says she "initiated contact". As you point out, what the heck does that mean?

The skimpy report said he "punched" her. But does that mean they were standing on the sideline and he hauled off and landed a right hook to the face, or was this a swing or a flailing motion during a fight for the ball during the course of the game? Pretty wide range of conduct potentially covered by that one word.

There is a paucity of facts about this entire incident from which any conclusions about the appropriate punishment can be drawn.

Rather surprising there haven't been news reports with interviews of witnesses, like the other players or spectators. I certainly haven't seen or found any. If anyone has, please post a link for us.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/08/14 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I swear I read in one of my local papers where Battle said she started the fight, not "initiated contact".

And it seems kind of ridiculous that the guy got tossed out of school while she got suspended for a month of basketball action.

Regardless of your stance in regards to a guy "ever" hitting a woman, if she started the fight she should be subject to the same discipline he was.

And be clear, I have no problem with the guy being tossed out. But the punishments should be a bit more equal than seems to be the case here.
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/09/14 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
I swear I read in one of my local papers where Battle said she started the fight, not "initiated contact".

And it seems kind of ridiculous that the guy got tossed out of school while she got suspended for a month of basketball action.

Regardless of your stance in regards to a guy "ever" hitting a woman, if she started the fight she should be subject to the same discipline he was.

And be clear, I have no problem with the guy being tossed out. But the punishments should be a bit more equal than seems to be the case here.

X_________

If Battle punched him first, and he punched her back -- not saying this is what happened, but if -- then it would seem that the greater punishment should fall on Battle.

If it doesn't, then isn't that just the kind of double standard we're trying to overcome in this society? Isn't that a reflection of patriarchal values that say a man is "superior" to a woman and thus must protect her and never retaliate, regardless of the provocation?

PostPosted: 07/09/14 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

X_________

If Battle punched him first, and he punched her back -- not saying this is what happened, but if -- then it would seem that the greater punishment should fall on Battle.

If it doesn't, then isn't that just the kind of double standard we're trying to overcome in this society? Isn't that a reflection of patriarchal values that say a man is "superior" to a woman and thus must protect her and never retaliate, regardless of the provocation?

That is basically my thinking but you stated better than I probably would have.
lola528

PostPosted: 07/09/14 3:09 pm    ::: :: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:

But I don't think that's what happened. From what I read and from what the witnesses said, there was fouling, and then shoving. They said that Bethel "got up" and punched her hard in the face with his fist. So I took that to mean that Amber shoved him hard enough that he fell down. However, if someone weaker and less muscular than I shoves me and I lose my balance and fall over backward, that does NOT, repeat *not* give me open license to get up and hit that person in the face with my closed fist--and certainly not hard enough to break bones. The witness said that he and the other witnesses had to pull him off of her, (fists, feet, etc.) and then others had to pull him (the speaking witness) back to keep him and a couple of other guys from punching out Bethel, they were so enraged. So no, just because she "started it" by shoving does not make her equally culpable. At least not in my world.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 07/09/14 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

X_________

Note that the Texas Tech website statement announcing Battle's suspension for the November exhibition season states "Texas Tech Athletics does not tolerate violence against women." No mention of violence against men, provocation, who started it, etc.. Draw your own conclusion.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/09/14 5:27 pm    ::: Re: :: Reply Reply with quote

lola528 wrote:
Youth Coach wrote:

But I don't think that's what happened. From what I read and from what the witnesses said, there was fouling, and then shoving. They said that Bethel "got up" and punched her hard in the face with his fist. So I took that to mean that Amber shoved him hard enough that he fell down. However, if someone weaker and less muscular than I shoves me and I lose my balance and fall over backward, that does NOT, repeat *not* give me open license to get up and hit that person in the face with my closed fist--and certainly not hard enough to break bones. The witness said that he and the other witnesses had to pull him off of her, (fists, feet, etc.) and then others had to pull him (the speaking witness) back to keep him and a couple of other guys from punching out Bethel, they were so enraged. So no, just because she "started it" by shoving does not make her equally culpable. At least not in my world.

I didn't say that was what happened. I did say IF. Because I can't find the newspaper I saw the report that she threw the first punch I qualified it. And pointed out that I had no problem with the guy being thrown out.
ridor

PostPosted: 07/09/14 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Clay, that is what I am trying to say in 1st place. Glad that you said it much better than I can do at this point. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: