RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sandy Barbour out as Cal's Athletic Director

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/28/14 5:34 pm    ::: Sandy Barbour out as Cal's Athletic Director Reply Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Cal-s-Sandy-Barbour-out-as-athletic-director-5583544.php

Quote:
Barbour's final day as athletic director will be July 15. She then will put together a sports-management program through UC Berkeley Extension.

..."She's tried hard all the time she's been here, but she's been over her head as a manager," said Michael O'Hare, who teaches public management at the Goldman School of Public Policy. "There have been a variety of bad outcomes --- whether success on the field or graduation rates or financial pressures, especially from the [renovated Memorial Stadium] --- that have come to pass. She's been tasked to get the athletic department back on a reasonable keel for years, and it hasn't happened."

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/29/14 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a very difficult job, especially given what's happened in Berkeley.

The football program is in shambles, the academic side is improving but still pretty bad, Stanford is the best all-around athletic program in the country, and the Pac-12 is a tough conference.

A new AD's impact on women's basketball is also of concern. Given all that needs to be done, the decision might be made to invest less in minor sports and focus heavily on football and men's basketball in the short run, along with academic support. But maybe not ...

PostPosted: 06/29/14 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
This is a very difficult job, especially given what's happened in Berkeley.

The football program is in shambles, the academic side is improving but still pretty bad, Stanford is the best all-around athletic program in the country, and the Pac-12 is a tough conference.

A new AD's impact on women's basketball is also of concern. Given all that needs to be done, the decision might be made to invest less in minor sports and focus heavily on football and men's basketball in the short run, along with academic support. But maybe not ...

Given that her assistant that helped run WBB bolted to the Storm...I'd think the former. Not good sign for things to come but agree something had to happen...it was clear Tedford couldn't recruit about halfway thru his tenure and they didn't do anything until the team hit rock bottom. MBB was treading water with an old coach who now retired....not great shape from a revenue standpoint, Stanford taking off just makes it tougher.

I liked Sandy but I can't argue with the lack of results

PostPosted: 06/29/14 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, Mike Montgomery did a great job for men's basketball at Cal, and it looks like Cuonzo Martin is a good hire.

But still, MBB is not a threat for the Sweet 16, and the football team was 1-11. (And I had to cover every game ... though thankfully I didn't have to travel.)

PostPosted: 06/29/14 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Actually, Mike Montgomery did a great job for men's basketball at Cal, and it looks like Cuonzo Martin is a good hire.

But still, MBB is not a threat for the Sweet 16, and the football team was 1-11. (And I had to cover every game ... though thankfully I didn't have to travel.)

Cuonzo is a good coach. He was treated horribly at UT, especially by some of the more gonzo fans, and I don't blame him for leaving. He is interested not only in good players, but in young men of character. His guys usually stay out of trouble as well as playing decently. Cal MBB could surprise you in a few years!

PostPosted: 06/30/14 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I'm sure in some ways Sandy will be happy to move beyond the vitriol and nasty name-calling that was common on forums. Being an AD is a difficult job and being a woman makes it that much more difficult. It appalled me some of the disgusting misogyny that permeated comments about her....it's fine to criticize and not like her decision-making, but from my perspective, much of the commentary dripped with contempt because she is a woman. Comments about her sexuality were also common...

I thought she did some good things at Cal and certainly made it a point to raise the profile of women's basketball. She brought in Joanne Boyle and ushered in a new era of success for the women's program. Myself (and many other Cal WBB fans) appreciate that.

The Memorial Stadium project was delayed thanks to some tree-huggers in Berkeley and much of the decision-making was not Sandy's....Some wealth and influential alums seem to hold sway behind the scenes. A donor to women's softball who wanted to give 6 figures toward a facility upgrade had her donation directed to the stadium project...crap like that, because football is king.

I must say the stadium and new High Performance Center (which benefits all intercollegiate athletes) is beautiful.

At any rate I wish her well....

Overall Cal Athletics has been pretty successful over her tenure, particularly if you look at the non-revenue sports...but alas, today it's all about revenue.

She'll probably be able to attend games and enjoy them now.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 06/30/14 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PS-her assistant bolting to the Storm was a career advancement, not a bail. I think Cal WBB will be just fine....

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/01/14 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
ClayK wrote:

I'm sure in some ways Sandy will be happy to move beyond the vitriol and nasty name-calling that was common on forums. Being an AD is a difficult job and being a woman makes it that much more difficult. It appalled me some of the disgusting misogyny that permeated comments about her....it's fine to criticize and not like her decision-making, but from my perspective, much of the commentary dripped with contempt because she is a woman. Comments about her sexuality were also common...

I thought she did some good things at Cal and certainly made it a point to raise the profile of women's basketball. She brought in Joanne Boyle and ushered in a new era of success for the women's program. Myself (and many other Cal WBB fans) appreciate that.

The Memorial Stadium project was delayed thanks to some tree-huggers in Berkeley and much of the decision-making was not Sandy's....Some wealth and influential alums seem to hold sway behind the scenes. A donor to women's softball who wanted to give 6 figures toward a facility upgrade had her donation directed to the stadium project...crap like that, because football is king.

I must say the stadium and new High Performance Center (which benefits all intercollegiate athletes) is beautiful.

At any rate I wish her well....

Overall Cal Athletics has been pretty successful over her tenure, particularly if you look at the non-revenue sports...but alas, today it's all about revenue.

She'll probably be able to attend games and enjoy them now.

I'm not a Cal fan, but I am also disappointed with her leaving. Then again, the low academic results (particularly on the football team) are undisputable, so I could see how there was little justification for her to stay.

Agree that Cal's WBB program greatly improved during her tenure there. It's come a long way from the Caren Horstmeyer years.

As for the misogyny comments...gee, I wouldn't expect this from a university that has a reputation for being progressively liberal and tolerant.

That got me wondering...how many other colleges are there where the Athletic Director is a woman?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: