RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New ESPN article on Tennessee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlcarter

PostPosted: 06/17/14 11:43 am    ::: New ESPN article on Tennessee Reply Reply with quote

http://m.espn.go.com/ncw/story?storyId=11094786

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/17/14 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She is smooooth!!!!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/17/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well there's obviously a new drinking game for the upcoming WCBB season.

Drink a shot every time ESPN mentions Diamond DeShields this upcoming season (even though she's not even playing) in any game they televise.

You might not be able to stand by the end of the game even during a Baylor - Oklahoma or Duke - FSU telecast. You probably won't make it to halftime of any Tennessee game.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/17/14 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Drink a shot every time ESPN mentions Diamond DeShields this upcoming season (even though she's not even playing) in any game they televise.

You might not be able to stand by the end of the game even during a Baylor - Oklahoma or Duke - FSU telecast. You probably won't make it to halftime of any Tennessee game.

Not like that's anything new year in and year out.

Last year Breanna Stewart was namedropped constantly.

Year before that it was the worst: You had Brittany, Della Donne, and that Twitter Goddess. You'd be drunk before the introductions

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/17/14 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Not like that's anything new year in and year out.

Last year Breanna Stewart was namedropped constantly.

Year before that it was the worst: You had Brittany, Della Donne, and that Twitter Goddess. You'd be drunk before the introductions

At least they were playing basketball and there was something to talk about.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/17/14 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn has 3 returning guards. One is a concussion away from retiring. The other 2 haven't shown the slightest ability to perform in high level games. There may be a starting guard among the freshmen but I don't see one.

And what does Holly do in 15/16 when DD wants her BFF to start at PG? And what does DD do if Holly says no? We already know how DD responds to unhappiness.

Jlcarter

PostPosted: 06/17/14 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think having more outside shooters this year will help. Dunbar is very good shooter. Middleton won the skills contest at McDonalds All star. Reynolds should be improved. Adding Cooper and DeShields next year.

Phil

PostPosted: 06/17/14 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Tenn has 3 returning guards. One is a concussion away from retiring. The other 2 haven't shown the slightest ability to perform in high level games. There may be a starting guard among the freshmen but I don't see one.

And what does Holly do in 15/16 when DD wants her BFF to start at PG? And what does DD do if Holly says no? We already know how DD responds to unhappiness.

I don't share your assessment of Tennessee. In fact, my guess is that Tennessee fans are very excited about this coming years prospects. To be sure, they are delirious about the following year, but I see Tennessee jumping to the top 5. Not sure exactly where yet, but they lose less and add more than almost any team not named South Carolina.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/17/14 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:

I don't share your assessment of Tennessee. In fact, my guess is that Tennessee fans are very excited about this coming years prospects. To be sure, they are delirious about the following year, but I see Tennessee jumping to the top 5. Not sure exactly where yet, but they lose less and add more than almost any team not named South Carolina.

By week 2 they were #3 last year too. Ahead of Maryland, Louisville, Stanford and Notre Dame. It didn't last.

They have a lot of bodies and a big talented experienced front line, but that front line has never really gelled and guard play remains a huge question mark. I actually expected Tenn to be really good last year because of that front line. This year I'm in the "show me" mode.

Phil

PostPosted: 06/17/14 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:

By week 2 they were #3 last year too. Ahead of Maryland, Louisville, Stanford and Notre Dame. It didn't last.

They have a lot of bodies and a big talented experienced front line, but that front line has never really gelled and guard play remains a huge question mark. I actually expected Tenn to be really good last year because of that front line. This year I'm in the "show me" mode.

Last year they lost, by 6, to Stanford at Stanford.

This year they play at home (assuming the series continues); that alone is worth 6 points. Add that Stanford has lost far more than TN, and I see a win.

They also lost to LSU, who is losing a lot to graduation. There's a loss that is likely to turn into a win.

I don't see them beating ND, but there aren't a lot of losses on their schedule. USC probably, but Kentucky is losing 5 seniors, so that doesn't look like a win. Maybe something odd here or there, but they may be looking at 2-3 regular season losses, which is top 5 territory.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/17/14 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
linkster wrote:

Tenn fans are excited every year. They're great fans. And last year Tenn had both coaches and writers convinced that they belonged in the top 4. Trouble with the LV's is that although they can play like a top 4 team, they usually have several in which they look more like 35 than 4, and one of those occurs in the NCAA's. And as for what they lose, Simmons was their go-to shooter. No one on this year's roster has yet shown the ability to be a volume outside shooter.

I expect Tenn to have a very similar year to 2013/14. A nice year for most but not for the standard at Tenn.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/17/14 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Phil wrote:

Last year they lost, by 6, to Stanford at Stanford.

This year they play at home (assuming the series continues); that alone is worth 6 points. Add that Stanford has lost far more than TN, and I see a win.

They also lost to LSU, who is losing a lot to graduation. There's a loss that is likely to turn into a win.

I don't see them beating ND, but there aren't a lot of losses on their schedule. USC probably, but Kentucky is losing 5 seniors, so that doesn't look like a win. Maybe something odd here or there, but they may be looking at 2-3 regular season losses, which is top 5 territory.

I don't see them falling to Vandy again this year, despite the fact that Vandy should have Dahlman back and some very talented frosh. I think A&M will be an interesting game for the VOls.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/17/14 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

I don't see them falling to Vandy again this year, despite the fact that Vandy should have Dahlman back and some very talented frosh. I think A&M will be an interesting game for the VOls.

Problem is, I didn't see them losing to Vandy, or UK, or LSU, or MD last year either. That's why I say "show me". Are they finally ready to start winning the games they're supposed to win?

Phil

PostPosted: 06/18/14 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Problem is, I didn't see them losing to Vandy, or UK, or LSU, or MD last year either. That's why I say "show me". Are they finally ready to start winning the games they're supposed to win?

Not MD?

I grant that Vandy was a big surprise, LSU a surprise, but KY not a surprise and MD was expected.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/18/14 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Not MD?

I grant that Vandy was a big surprise, LSU a surprise, but KY not a surprise and MD was expected.

MD expected? Not by me, even at gametime, and certainly not be me (or the pollsters) when the season began.

You realize of course that Tenn was a 1 seed while MD was a 4, so I guess it suprised the selection committee too.

Tenn should have been a FF team last year based on the roster. So I'm not buying in this year just by looking at the roster again because there's obviously more to it than that.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 06/19/14 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DD and Cooper are also great friends with Carter, who I think is Tennessee's best option at starting PG for the upcoming season!

PostPosted: 06/19/14 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

News out of Knoxville yesterday raises some questions about next season. It was reported weeks ago that Russell was having surgery to remove a bunion but there was little detail on the nature of the surgery (not all bunion removal surgery is the same) and recovery can be very painful in any event. Sounds like Russell's surgery was pretty extensive. Parts of the bones of two toes were removed and replaced with plates, and ligaments in the other three toes were "addressed." Sounds like that was one helluva bunion that caused damage to the other toes (which often happens if not addressed early). The LV staff says she'll be rehabbing until October.

There also were reports back in April that Jannah Tucker would undergo some type of surgery on her knee though it sounded like it would be of the clean-up variety. Yesterday it was reported that Tucker had a second ACL surgery in April (same knee, cadaver ligament used this time) and will be rehabbing until October, at least.

Massengale also had knee surgery but sounds like she's almost ready to go.

Phil

PostPosted: 06/19/14 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

MD expected? Not by me, even at gametime, and certainly not be me (or the pollsters) when the season began.

You realize of course that Tenn was a 1 seed while MD was a 4, so I guess it surprised the selection committee too.

Tenn should have been a FF team last year based on the roster. So I'm not buying in this year just by looking at the roster again because there's obviously more to it than that.

That roster got them a spot at #4 in the pre-season, which they maintained and moved up to the 3 spot, until they played some real teams and started losing. Then the ranking dropped to double digits, about where they belonged, based on performance. MD started out at 8 stuck there forever, and then crept up to 6, and stayed ahead of Tennessee until they managed to lose a couple games in February. The way the polls work, lose and you probably drop, even if you play in a tougher conference, so MD got dinged for having to play with UNC and ND, while TN shook off their early losses and put together a late run. Yes, TN got a 1 seed, the best gift they've received in some time. Not a week before, pundits were arguing whether they were a 2 or a 3 seed, then things fell their way and a one fell into their laps. The 4 seed for Maryland is widely acknowledged to be one of the more surprising results out of the committee, and the subsequent performances show the committee messed up.

If you had asked me at the beginning of the season who would win, I would have picked TN as well, but I had the luxury of guessing who would win after seeing both of them play several times.

MY guess where TN will end up this year is based on the roster, and that may jump up and bite me, but I watched Burdick in the 3x3, and think she will be a pleasant surprise. I remember watching Graves in USA action, and confess I thought I'd see more last year, so maybe I'm letting USA Basketball color my views too much, but I think the chemistry will be better this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: