RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

PAC12 fans, tell me about

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/24/15 12:06 pm    ::: PAC12 fans, tell me about Reply Reply with quote

how you see the Stanford ND game.

I'm particularly interested in Stanford's defense, how they will stop ND'S posts and scoring in the paint, and how they are likely to defend Jewell Loyd.

Thanks.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/24/15 12:44 pm    ::: Re: PAC12 fans, tell me about Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
how you see the Stanford ND game.

I'm particularly interested in Stanford's defense, how they will stop ND'S posts and scoring in the paint, and how they are likely to defend Jewell Loyd.

Thanks.

Short answer. Not very well. lol.

But the real answer is only in Tara's mind. Who in fact will start for Stanford? we will really miss Karli in this game. I think we start man to man (or woman to woman if you prefer) with Lili on Jewell. If we go small, it will be Roberson & Orrange on Allen and Cable/Mabrey with Bonnie on Reimer and McCall or Johnson on Turner.But I'm inclined to think we will try to go big with McCall and Greenfield in the post, Bonnie on Cable/Mabrey, and Orrange and Lili matching up with the guards. In any case our posts are not good defenders so I expect there will be problems there. And since it's hard to help off your guards, eek. I'm guessing any help will come from Allen's defender and try to make her beat us. Unfortunately I really like Allen. I would actually like to see Coach start Johnson and McCall together in the post but doubt that will happen since we have very rarely seen that combo on the floor together this year. I predict foul trouble early.

But with this team, you can never tell which one will show up. Miracles happen.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 03/24/15 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think wasting too much effort trying to stop Notre dame's offense is wrong. Better to focus on attacking Notre Dame's defense and keep putting points on the board. Go after the freshmen posts and try to put them on the bench in foul trouble along with Reimer.

On defense I would do what UConn did, let Loyd do it all early in the game and hope she tires later.

It isn't a promising plan but then I don't think there is one.

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 03/24/15 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford plays a scouting defense and I have no idea how they will play ND. Stanford is a team that blows hot and cold, they defeated UConn but lost to AZ-and won the Pac12 and lo and behold are in the Sweet 16.

sammieee

PostPosted: 03/24/15 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND had problems when UCONN went big. Stanford doesn't have that size.

Stanford shoots a lot of 3's. Will Reimer guard Samuelson in the perimeter? If Stanford can make a lot of 3's it will be a game. They looked great in the 2nd half against OK because they here hot beyond the arc. If not, I forsee an easy win for ND. I am curious to see the back court match ups though.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/24/15 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
ND had problems when UCONN went big. Stanford doesn't have that size.

They did, but that was largely because they were missing their biggest and best post player in Turner that game. And Westbeld was not playing as much yet at that point in the season. ND played four guards much of that game.

With their current three-player post rotation of Reimer-Turner-Westbeld ND is significantly more stout in the post than they were when they played UConn.

And it is usually Turner who goes out and guards the perimeter when an opponent's 4 plays out there. She has the quickness to do that effectively and the length to really bother shooters. Reimer usually guards the post. ND will switch back and forth between man and matchup-zone defenses.

ND has really been pounding the ball inside to their three posts the past few games, even against the big FSU team. And they have finally been rebounding, which they were not doing well earlier in the season. The ACC title game was the only time FSU has been outrebounded all year, and they outrebounded the huge Duke team the game before, and they outrebounded DePaul 51-32.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/25/15 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think TVD has done a tremendous job with this team, and doesn't get enough credit for her ability to adjust and get the most out of what appears to be a pretty limited roster.

That said, midnight is approaching ...

PostPosted: 03/25/15 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
Stanford plays a scouting defense and I have no idea how they will play ND.

True. There will have already been hours and hours of tape and IF there are any weaknesses apparent, those will be attacked to the best of the abilities with what we got. Also, like in every game this year, offensively we are potent when the threes fall from multiple sources, and totally stagnant when they don't.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/15 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You silly TWITS! You haven't figured out yet that "ArtBest" is a Notre Dame operative? I've even heard rumors that Muff herself likes to be called "Art"! Oy. NOW Stanford's skrewed! Rolling Eyes

Ya. Really. This isn't going to be much of a contest. None of Stanford's guard combos match the dynamic duo of Lloyd and Allen. And in the frontcourt? Fahgeddaboutit.

But. That said, I have every confidence Tara will make it all very respectable. For at least 8 minutes. I'd love to be mistaken of course, but.... Confused

PostPosted: 03/25/15 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford's 3-point shooting is 8th-best in the nation, and they have many, many players who can hit from out there. If you zone them, they will make you pay. If you go man against them to stop their shooting, then Lili Thompson and Amber Orrange will take it right past their defenders, and either take it straight to the rack, or dump it off to whichever post is left unguarded by the big who rotates over to stop 'em.

So, yes, Stanford may not have any Ogwumikes anymore, but they're very good still, and TVD has had a week to prepare for ND. They've got a very decent shot against the Irish, I believe.

malibujimbo

PostPosted: 03/25/15 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After watching Oklahoma demolish Quinnipiac Saturday, and then Stanford have trouble with Northridge, I wasn't really looking forward to Monday's game. But, again Tara pulled a game plan out of the bag, and it worked. Notre Dame is good, but I am feeling better about this game, than I was about Monday's. Maybe false hope,..... hope not.

PostPosted: 03/25/15 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TVD is very good at game planning, and very good at designing the defense to force the opposing offense to find people other than their primary scorers to carry the load. That's a big part of how they beat UConn - UConn hadn't yet figured out what players beyond Stewart and KML to count on, and Stanford wouldn't let KML and Stewart take over the game.

The offense struggles because a pick and roll offense struggles if the defense doesn't have to respect the roll, and the Stanford posts struggle to put up a bunny on an offensive rebound, much less take a pass on a roll to the basket. Erica McCall is starting to show signs of getting it, but otherwise, the only options when both defenders come off the screen to double the ball handler is the pullup jumper or the kick to the three point shooter, and when those aren't falling, the offense goes dead, for long stretches. Like 5-8 minutes. I don't think they'll survive a stretch like that against ND. Their defense usually keeps them in games even when the offense goes flat, but it's a little much to ask against top notch teams.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/15 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
TVD is very good at game planning, and very good at designing the defense to force the opposing offense to find people other than their primary scorers to carry the load.

.....or the kick to the three point shooter, and when those aren't falling, the offense goes dead, for long stretches. Like 5-8 minutes. I don't think they'll survive a stretch like that against ND. Their defense usually keeps them in games even when the offense goes flat, but it's a little much to ask against top notch teams.

These 2 points are both quite true. But--much as I love Stanford--I do believe that ND is just Too Big for Tara to pull this one out. IFFF she does? She deserves Coach of The Decade.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/26/15 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

malibujimbo wrote:
After watching Oklahoma demolish Quinnipiac Saturday, and then Stanford have trouble with Northridge, I wasn't really looking forward to Monday's game. But, again Tara pulled a game plan out of the bag, and it worked. Notre Dame is good, but I am feeling better about this game, than I was about Monday's. Maybe false hope,..... hope not.

Wow!

I can't imagine feeling better about playing ND than OU.

PostPosted: 03/26/15 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Erica McCall is starting to show signs of getting it, but otherwise, the only options when both defenders come off the screen to double the ball handler is the pullup jumper or the kick to the three point shooter, and when those aren't falling, the offense goes dead, for long stretches. Like 5-8 minutes...

This is true. If Stanford's 3-pointers are not falling, they're a very ordinary team. More often than not, they fall. But not always.

TheWildJacko

PostPosted: 03/26/15 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Much more worried about Lloyd than ND's posts. Not that I'm NOT worried about ND's posts, but Stanford traditionally has a LOT of trouble with extremely versatile and talented guards.

Regarding the posts, if Bonnie plays good help defense and McCall and Kaylee Johnson can avoid foul trouble, we have a shot. And Stanford has to hit their shots. Lili Thompson and Amber Orrange cannot have quiet games. Taylor Greenfield has to attack the rim constantly. Above all, Stanford has to PASS the ball and not spend excessive time dribbling or standing around. To me, the biggest difference in the OU game between the 1st half (advantage OU) and the 2nd half (big advantage Stanford) was Stanford's crisp, efficient passing in the 2nd half, and their relative complacency and passiveness in the 1st.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: