RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G News 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 02/09/15 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big Ten weekly awards:

PoW: Betnijah Laney, Rutgers
Honor roll: Jacqui Grant, Illiniois; Bethany Doolittle; Iowa, Nia Coffey, Northwestern
FoW: Carlie Wagner, Minnesota

Although the release says it's Laney's 2nd PoW, it's actually her 3rd (somehow they missed the one in January), so she's the only player in the conference to have 3 so far. The Rutgers WCBB page got it right, though.

Kelsey Mitchell from OSU has 6 FoW awards, plus two PoW awards. I'd say she's the runaway favorite for FoY.

The best, this week

gopher5

PostPosted: 02/10/15 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

Honor roll: Jacqui Grant, Illiniois; Bethany Doolittle; Iowa, Nia Coffey, Northwestern

Although the release says it's Laney's 2nd PoW, it's actually her 3rd (somehow they missed the one in January), so she's the only player in the conference to have 3 so far. The Rutgers WCBB page got it right, though.

Kelsey Mitchell from OSU has 6 FoW awards, plus two PoW awards. I'd say she's the runaway favorite for FoY.

The best, this week

Amanda Zahui has three POW as well (12/30; 1/5 and 2/2).

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/10/15 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

The best, this week

Somehow I missed that - sorry. She's a great player, too.

gopher5

PostPosted: 02/10/15 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

The best, this week

There are severaly worthy candidates for POY. And it is going to be tough to pick a first team all conference this year.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/10/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

[url=/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/020915aab.html]The best, this week[/url]

There are severaly worthy candidates for POY. And it is going to be tough to pick a first team all conference this year.

Not even looking at stats, I'll say Zahui, Laney, Powers, Mitchell and one of (Brown, Logic, Theriot)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 02/28/15 3:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
gopher5

PostPosted: 02/10/15 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

The best, this week

Not even looking at stats, I'll say Zahui, Laney, Powers, Mitchell and one of (Brown, Logic, Theriot)

Deciding between Brown, Logic and Theriot is where it is tough for me.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/10/15 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True or false: The last time a Big 10 team went undefeated in conference play, that team went on to win the national championship.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/10/15 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Deciding between Brown, Logic and Theriot is where it is tough for me.

Or they all could make the first-team, if the Big Ten has 10-players teams like that started sillily last year. Surprised

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/15 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
True or false: The last time a Big 10 team went undefeated in conference play, that team went on to win the national championship.

That's true!

PostPosted: 02/10/15 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

True (1999 Purdue)

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/11/15 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

The best, this week

Isn't it kind of interesting that Maryland is sitting at 13-0 and not a single Terp has won a POW award this conference season?

And, the truth is, no one has really earned that distinction. The balance of the Maryland team this year is simply amazing. No single player seems to have back to back games where she really stands out from the rest. So, therefore, no POW creds. This is SO different than the last 4 years when Alyssa Thomas simple collected individual awards week in and week out.

I love AT, but this year's Terps are more fun to watch! We never know from night to night who's gonna put on a show!

beknighted

PostPosted: 02/11/15 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ripleydc wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

The best, this week

Isn't it kind of interesting that Maryland is sitting at 13-0 and not a single Terp has won a POW award this conference season?

And, the truth is, no one has really earned that distinction. The balance of the Maryland team this year is simply amazing. No single player seems to have back to back games where she really stands out from the rest. So, therefore, no POW creds. This is SO different than the last 4 years when Alyssa Thomas simple collected individual awards week in and week out.

I love AT, but this year's Terps are more fun to watch! We never know from night to night who's gonna put on a show!

That is interesting. I recall a couple of years in the BEast when Rutgers had something similar happen and, while it was frustrating on one level, it also spoke to how the team was playing.

The thing that impressed me about Maryland in last night's game (he said through gritted teeth) was that the Terps showed resilience when RU would claw its way back into the game, and never allowed RU to get over the hump. That's a kind of grittiness that will help a lot in the tournament, and honestly a lot of teams don't have it.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/11/15 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan State beats Penn State. Aerial Powers gets to 1,000 career points as a sophomore which is really tough.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/15 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/15 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/12/15 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will ya look at that....Badgers aren't in the basement!

PostPosted: 02/17/15 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tough news for the already thin Huskers....

(from the Journal Star)

Nebraska won without Theriot for the first time this season, after losing three straight games against top-20 teams.

With each game that Theriot watches in street clothes, her return is less likely, which is a major blow to the Huskers. The All-Big Ten point guard leads Nebraska with 16.5 points and 5.2 assists per game.

Yori revealed to reporters for the first time Sunday that Theriot may need surgery on her ankle.

“Yes, there is a chance. There is a very good chance,” Yori said.

Yori said she “didn’t feel comfortable” discussing a timetable for a decision on Theriot. She said Theriot needs to practice if she’s going to return, and she hasn’t been able to do much of that since the injury occurred during practice 14 days ago.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/17/15 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Tough news for the already thin Huskers....

(from the Journal Star)

Nebraska won without Theriot for the first time this season, after losing three straight games against top-20 teams.

With each game that Theriot watches in street clothes, her return is less likely, which is a major blow to the Huskers. The All-Big Ten point guard leads Nebraska with 16.5 points and 5.2 assists per game.

Yori revealed to reporters for the first time Sunday that Theriot may need surgery on her ankle.

“Yes, there is a chance. There is a very good chance,” Yori said.

Yori said she “didn’t feel comfortable” discussing a timetable for a decision on Theriot. She said Theriot needs to practice if she’s going to return, and she hasn’t been able to do much of that since the injury occurred during practice 14 days ago.

They're not the same team without her. Very tough news, indeed, for RT and for the entire Nebraska team.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/15 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/18/15 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

They never factor in conference tiebreakers into their standings graphics--they sort by overall-record after conference record, but the only things wrong are Michigan St is ahead of Illinois and Penn St is ahead of Purdue (head-to-head). Minnesota has head-to-head vs. Ohio State, so that's good.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/18/15 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bobbi Kelsey assessing where Wisconsin is now, where they need to be, and how she hopes to get there: http://tinyurl.com/m8ro39p

PostPosted: 02/18/15 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Journal Star reported today that Theriot is done for the year. Good luck to her.

"Before the game, Nebraska coach Connie Yori said in a pregame radio interview that junior point guard Rachel Theriot has a complete tear of a ligament in her ankle and will have surgery Thursday. Theriot will miss the remainder of the season.

Theriot has not played since injuring her ankle in practice two weeks ago. She leads the Huskers with 16.5 points and 5.1 assists per game. Nebraska has lost four of the five games since Theriot was injured.

“It means that we’re just going to have some other folks do a little bit more for us,” Yori said. “We’ve missed her here the last four games and we’re going to miss her the rest of the season, but at the same time, there are opportunities for young players in our program to step up and elevate their game. We’ve seen some of that already. We kind of saw this coming, but it is a chance to have some of those younger kids do some things.”

Theriot, along with current seniors Emily Cady, Hailie Sample, Tear’a Laudermill and Brandi Jeffery, helped lead Nebraska to the Big Ten Conference Tournament title last season.

“You definitely feel for our seniors in particular because, of course, Rachel is a big part of who we have been these last few years and those seniors have played with her,” Yori said. “In the meantime, you've got to have some young players play well, but we also have to have our seniors play well. Those guys are going to have to carry a bigger load; do more for us and stay positive. We have four more regular-season games and each of them in their own way are winnable, but they’re also each in their own way losable, so we’re going to have to play some good basketball down the stretch.”

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/18/15 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oweeeee! Having done that at the age of 17 (it was mis-diagnosed and so not treated properly and has dogged me ever since) I have nothing but sympathy for Rachel. Hopefully she gets all the right things done and has a good recovery over the summer.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, at least she's a jr.

I had ankle ligament reconstruction surgery at 35. It was successful but very painful and it had a long recovery time.

After surgery the pain was severe and for a week afterward I couldn't even have my foot lower than my heart because the pain was unbearable. It was quite a while before it could withstand any pressure at all.

Even 6 months later it wasn't 100% healed and it was more than 2 years before the constant pain/discomfort at the incision site ended.

The surgeon said that of all the patients he'd done this procedure for, it was the women who weighed least that had less painful and shorter recovery periods.

Good luck to her.

PostPosted: 02/19/15 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I had ankle ligament reconstruction surgery at 35. It was successful but very painful and it had a long recovery time.

Yes, but when you were 35, Clara Barton was in charge of your ward. I'm thinking modern technologies might favor Ms. Theriot significantly. Wink Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: