RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G News 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beknighted

PostPosted: 12/07/14 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laney's double-double streak is now at 8 after RU's win over Arkansas today. It was closer than the last game - 12 points and 11 boards - but she got it done.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/07/14 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Wisconsin loses Michala Johnson to an ACL, and after sitting out last year with a bad back, Cassie Rochel is still having issues.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/basketball/women/uw-women-s-basketball-michala-johnson-out-for-season-with/article_108e25e5-fffc-527b-a0b4-50ae8619c13f.html

Right after I posted this, UW had their best game of the season with a 25-point win over Marquette, 89-64. Rochel lead the team with 9 rebounds.

Not to take anything away from UW but Marquette is having a rough start to the season. They definitely won this one going away though.

I was really sorry to hear about Johnson's ACL injury Sad

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/08/14 6:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was a tough day for the conference on the road yesterday. Rutgers had the only win. Nebraska lost by 2 to Alabama, Purdue by 2 to Dayton and Michigan State to Georgia by 9.

On the home front, everyone had blowout wins except Minnesota which needed OT to beat Butler.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/08/14 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm feeling the onset of OOCF (out-of-conference fatigue). Conference play can't get here soon enough! 3 more weeks . . . ugh.

ripleydc

PostPosted: 12/09/14 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michigan takes a drubbing from Princeton, 85-55.

Princeton is now 9-0, having beaten several teams from major conferences . . . Now the Tigers can add the B1G to its list.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/10/14 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This probably is the best win so far for the Tigers. (Wake may be in the ACC, but nobody really mistakes the Demon Deacons for FF contenders.)

mzonefan

PostPosted: 12/11/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who didn't see it in the gameday thread, it looks like Rachel Banham suffered an ACL last night. That'd be a horrible loss for Minnesota and the B1G.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/11/14 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
For those who didn't see it in the gameday thread, it looks like Rachel Banham suffered an ACL last night. That'd be a horrible loss for Minnesota and the B1G.

Very ugly. Much sympathy for her.

PostPosted: 12/11/14 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Very ugly. Much sympathy for her.

I'll hope it's something less serious, but it didn't look good at all.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 12/11/14 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confirmed ACL tear for Banham. Out for season. Sad
No news on potential red shirt yet.

Marcus R. Fuller ‏@GophersNow 11 minutes ago
Sad news with #Gophers star Rachel Banham suffering a torn ACL. Was confirmed today. She's out for the season.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/11/14 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:

She can't get a medical redshirt as she has played in 10 of their 30 regularly scheduled games. The rule is a student-athlete could play at most 20% of the schedule and she has played in 33% of it to date.

That does really suck. She is a talented offensive player.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 12/11/14 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

She can't get a medical redshirt as she has played in 10 of their 30 regularly scheduled games. The rule is a student-athlete could play at most 20% of the schedule and she has played in 33% of it to date.

Would the Big Ten tourney or (possible) postseason tournament count to help lower the %?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

Would the Big Ten tourney or (possible) postseason tournament count to help lower the %?

It goes by "scheduled" games...may be able to include the first game of the Big Ten tourney, but that still wouldn't be enough. They'd have to play 50 games for her 10 played to be only 20%.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

The number is 30% (rule 12.8.4(c )) and fractions are rounded up. 30 regular season games and one Big 10 tournament game gets her there (30% of 31 = 9.3 which rounds up to 10, which is what she played.)

Howee

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And she's a senior, right? I'd have thought she stood a good chance of going high-ish in the draft, no? Majorly Bad Newz. Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

The number is 30% (rule 12.8.4(c )) and fractions are rounded up. 30 regular season games and one Big 10 tournament game gets her there (30% of 31 = 9.3 which rounds up to 10, which is what she played.)

I was going to say it was lucky for her that Minnesota played in the Gulf Coast Showcase, which I think is the reason that they had 30 regular season games scheduled (it would appear that the Showcase is a qualifying regular-season multiple-team event), but then it occurred to me that if they hadn't played in that event, she'd only have 9 games and still would qualify for the hardship waiver. Of course, if she were really lucky, she wouldn't have gotten hurt.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
And she's a senior, right? I'd have thought she stood a good chance of going high-ish in the draft, no? Majorly Bad Newz. Evil or Very Mad

Given how bad the draft class is, she'd probably go higher this year even with the injury than she would by waiting a year and coming out as part of a much stronger class.

But does she still want to play in an NCAA tourney game once in her career?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/11/14 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

I was going to say it was lucky for her that Minnesota played in the Gulf Coast Showcase, which I think is the reason that they had 30 regular season games scheduled (it would appear that the Showcase is a qualifying regular-season multiple-team event), but then it occurred to me that if they hadn't played in that event, she'd only have 9 games and still would qualify for the hardship waiver. Of course, if she were really lucky, she wouldn't have gotten hurt.

I hope they don't have an exhibition game that messes up her games played number. There are rules about which count and which don't. I don't believe it should, but that's the one caveat I have.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/12/14 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
dinkytown wrote:

I hope they don't have an exhibition game that messes up her games played number. There are rules about which count and which don't. I don't believe it should, but that's the one caveat I have.

Their schedule doesn't show any exhibition games, so it looks okay.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 12/12/14 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They played an exhibition:

Quote:
PostPosted: 11/07/14 11:17 pm ::: Reply Reply with quote

Friday's exhibition at Williams Arena:

Minnesota 102, Concordia (St. Paul) 71

Box score

CSP is an excellent D-II team (not quite as good in basketball as volleyball, but that's an impossible standard!), advancing to the Elite Eight last spring and being ranked #10 in the WBCA's preseason poll...

Thanks for the correction on 30% instead of 20...I knew that but for some reason had 20 in my head. Sorry for misinformation.

I don't know how the NCAA interprets this. With both the exhibition & "practice vs Milwaukee" on Nov. 1st being exempt as well as the Big Ten Tournament, I don't if they both get included, both get excluded or what.

Quote:
12.8.4 Hardship Waiver. A student-athlete may be granted an additional year of competition by the conference or the Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement for reasons of “hardship.” Hardship is defined as an incapacity resulting from an injury or illness that has occurred under all of the following conditions:
(c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport. Only scheduled or completed competition against outside participants during the playing season that concludes with the NCAA championship, or, if so designated, during the official NCAA championship playing season in that sport (e.g., spring baseball, fall soccer), shall be countable under this limitation in calculating both the number of contests or dates of competition in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition during that season in the sport. Dates of competition that are exempted (e.g., alumni contests, foreign team in the United States) from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition shall count toward the number of contests or dates in which the student-athlete has participated and the number of scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in the season, except for scrimmages and exhibition contests that are specifically identified as such in the sport’s Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations. Scrimmages and exhibition contests that are not exempted from the maximum permissible number of contests or dates of competition may be excluded from the calculation only if they are identified as such in the sport’s Bylaw 17 playing and practice season regulations;

Quote:
17.3.5.2 Maximum Limitations—Student-Athlete. An individual student-athlete may participate each playing season in not more than either 27 basketball contests and one regular-season qualifying multiple-team event per Bylaw 17.3.5.1.1 or 29 contests in an academic year in which the institution does not participate in a regular-season qualifying multiple-team event. This limitation includes those contests in which the student-athlete represents the institution in accordance with Bylaw 17.02.8, including competition as a member of the varsity, junior varsity or freshman team of the institution. Further, an individual student-athlete may participate each year in only one postseason basketball tournament as a member of the institution’s varsity, junior varsity or freshman team. (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/91 effective 8/1/92, 1/12/99 effective 8/1/99, 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06)

17.3.5.3 Annual Exemptions. The following basketball contests each year may be exempted from a member institution’s maximum number of contests: (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06)
(a) Conference Season-End Tournament. A regularly scheduled, season-end, single-elimination basketball championship tournament conducted by a conference (or the tournament used to determine the conference’s automatic entry in an NCAA basketball tournament) among some or all of its members. (Adopted: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06)
(b) Postseason Tournament. Contests in one postseason basketball tournament (e.g., NCAA championship, NAIA championship) unless the institution has participated in the Men’s National Invitation Tournament or the Women’s National Invitation Tournament. A postseason tournament involves competition after the end of the regular season between teams that are not identified until the close of that regular season; (Revised: 1/9/96 effective 8/1/96)
(g) Exhibition Against a Non-NCAA Division I Four-Year Collegiate Institution. An exhibition contest against a four-year collegiate institution (other than an NCAA Division I institution) played in the arena in which the member institution regularly plays its home contests. An institution may exempt two such contests during any year in which it does not use the exemption set forth in Bylaw 17.3.5.3-(h), or it may exempt one such contest and one practice scrimmage as defined in Bylaw 17.3.5.3-(h) each year; and (Adopted: 10/28/99 effective 8/1/00, Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 1/17/09 effective 8/1/09; contracts signed before 8/15/08 may be honored)
(h) Practice Scrimmage. An informal practice scrimmage with outside competition, provided it is conducted in privacy and without publicity or official scoring. Individuals other than athletics department staff members and those necessary to conduct a basketball practice scrimmage against outside competition may not be present during such a scrimmage. The institution shall ensure that the scrimmage is free from public view. No class time shall be missed by basketball student-athletes in conjunction with such a scrimmage, including all associated activities (e.g., travel, pregame and postgame activities). An institution may exempt two such practice scrimmages during any year in which it does not use the exemption set forth in Bylaw 17.3.5.3-(g), or it may exempt one such practice scrimmage and one exhibition contest against a non-NCAA Division I four-year collegiate institution each year. (Adopted: 10/27/98 effective
8/1/99, Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 1/17/09 effective 8/1/09)

xwomynjoc

PostPosted: 12/12/14 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ripleydc wrote:
I don't know what the plan is this year, but MD has never traveled to all their games by charter. And flying in the winter to Nebraska vs flying in the winter to sunny Florida with warm temps and waving palm trees . . . oh yeah, the change in travel is dramatic! There was an article in today's WashPost about the Volleyball team and how they've gone from traveling about 3500 miles last season to 9000 miles this year, now that they are part of the B1G. I still think travel is going to be an issue for MD this year.

They aren't playing beach volleyball or golf...the weather outside means absolutely nothing. It's also not like they are going to those games and will have a bunch of free time to explore anyway. Fly out the day of the game, play the next day/night & then fly home right after the game. They will be playing an indoor game on a court that measures 94' x 50' with hoops 10' high. Wind, rain, sun, snow...none of that matters.

Regarding the travel, I have no idea but I'm assuming that Maryland may have bused to VA Tech, UVa and a few others. VA Tech is about a 4 hour drive. The flight from Lincoln, NE to Baltimore, MD is about 2 1/2 hours. And on a charter plane, that flight is easy and a piece of cake. Players can spread out, eat, sleep, study...do anything they could do on a bus and probably find it a little easier as the plane isn't turning around corners, hitting bumps in the road, stopping at lights, etc. Travel for the Power 5 Conference teams is so much different than what anyone is used to...I mean, not having to go through security, the bus driving you out to your plane, and so many other things make the travel extremely easy and a lot less time consuming.

I was just reading through this thread and I saw this quote about charter flights. I have traveled with the MD team several times and the charter flight is usually on the return trip, right after the game. They have a head count and get a charter plane according to that count. On all the flights I've been on with them, these are not big planes. Even a short flight back from Miami left me feeling like a sardine jammed in a small can and I'm only 5'5". Imagine what a player who is 6'2-5" feels.

PostPosted: 12/12/14 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
I was just reading through this thread and I saw this quote about charter flights. I have traveled with the MD team several times and the charter flight is usually on the return trip, right after the game. They have a head count and get a charter plane according to that count. On all the flights I've been on with them, these are not big planes. Even a short flight back from Miami left me feeling like a sardine jammed in a small can and I'm only 5'5". Imagine what a player who is 6'2-5" feels.

Not sure what planes you guys were using but with all the charter flights I have been on, there was plenty of room. In addition to private jets, we had charter flights on 50 or more passenger planes that were Northwest, US Air, American, etc and were part of their regional fleets. With a travel party of 25ish people, that leaves quite a bit of room with most having 2 seats to themselves.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/13/14 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
xwomynjoc wrote:

Not sure what planes you guys were using but with all the charter flights I have been on, there was plenty of room. In addition to private jets, we had charter flights on 50 or more passenger planes that were Northwest, US Air, American, etc and were part of their regional fleets. With a travel party of 25ish people, that leaves quite a bit of room with most having 2 seats to themselves.

I also think that it's important not to discount how much easier it is to get to and from a charter - as pointed out above, no security, etc. - which saves time and just makes it less of a hassle in general.

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/16/14 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A 1/3-season (as he puts it) ranking from the RU message board. (For people who don't follow RU, "ttfp" is "that team from Pennsylvania," an attempt by some people to emulate the way OSU fans refer to Michigan.)

1 to 14

beknighted

PostPosted: 12/18/14 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers has announced that Betnijah Laney has a sprained thumb, which probably is better than what some of us expected after Sunday's game. She'll be out for the game against Iona on Saturday, and will be evaluated again after that.

The good news is that RU's first game after Iona isn't until December 28 (at Indiana), so she has time to heal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: