RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G News 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/01/14 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I suspect the addition of Rutgers and Maryland, while they don't feel "right" to this old Big 10 (Badgers forever!) person, will help WBB recruiting conference-wide in the way adding Penn State did not. Penn State just did not have the cachet that the other two schools have in terms of WBB.

Let's not forget, Penn State was added in 1990 but didn't begin playing in the B1G until 1993. How much NCAA WBB history even existed at that point? Penn State's first 10 years of WBB were from 1965-1974 and the most games they played in any season during that time was 8...in fact, they only played 62 games in those 10 years. The 1974-75 season was their first in the EAIAW so basically they had about 19 years of basketball history before joining the Big Ten.

The histories of nearly every program in the nation has doubled since Penn State joined the Big Ten 21 years ago. Obviously the "cachet" of a lot of teams is much, much different today than it would have been over 2 decades ago when the game was barely out of diapers and had next to nothing in terms of exposure.

For the record, when Penn State joined the Big Ten, they were considered one of the best programs in the nation. From the 1981-82 season through the 1991-92 season (their last before playing in the B1G), they went to 10 of the 11 NCAA Tournaments. They went to 5 Sweet Sixteens, 4 2nd round appearances and just 1 First Round loss.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/01/14 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Those matchups were released back in June. Maryland is playing Notre Dame in Fort Wayne, IN. Here's the release: http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060414aab.html

Thanks for that....I was just going by ESPN's MD schedule, which is 'nada' yet.

purduefanatic wrote:
For the record, when Penn State joined the Big Ten, they were considered one of the best programs in the nation. From the 1981-82 season through the 1991-92 season (their last before playing in the B1G), they went to 10 of the 11 NCAA Tournaments. They went to 5 Sweet Sixteens, 4 2nd round appearances and just 1 First Round loss.

Yesss....and they did it ALL without any *lesbians*, thankyouverymuch, Renee P! Shocked Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 10/01/14 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're welcome.

I guess the lesbian theme is permeating to all the threads now...lol. Man, Rene was so bad.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/02/14 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bigten.org/genrel/100114aaa.html

ROSEMONT, Ill. The Big Ten Conference announced today that it has notified the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) of initial recommendations designed to provide enhanced benefits for student-athletes that are members in good standing with their individual universities as part of the NCAAs new autonomy governance structure.

For the past two years, the conference has publicly stated its desire to continue providing student-athletes with an unmatched educational and athletic experience, including comments made by Commissioner James E. Delany at the July 2013 Big Ten Football Media Days (attached as PDF), at the Collegiate Commissioners Association meeting on September 25, 2013 (PDF), at the July 2014 Big Ten Football Media Days (PDF), and in statements issued by the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors on June 1, 2014 (PDF) and June 24, 2014 (PDF).

The Big Ten will work to implement the following proposals through individual institutional action, conference-wide action or under the NCAA autonomy governance structure:
Cost of Education: Redefine full grant-in-aid to meet a student-athletes cost of education, as determined by the federal government.
Multi-Year Scholarships: Guarantee all scholarships. If a student-athlete is no longer able to compete, for whatever reason, there should be no impact on institutions commitment to deliver an undergraduate education.
Lifetime Educational Commitment: Ensure that scholarships are available for life. If a student-athlete leaves a university for a professional career before graduating, whether the career materializes, and regardless of its length, the scholarship will be honored after his or her playing days are complete.
Medical Insurance: Provide improved, consistent medical insurance for student-athletes.

The Big Ten has also agreed to address additional student-athlete welfare issues including, but not limited to, health and safety, time demands and comprehensive academic support by way of a Resolution that creates a specific pathway and timeline for implementation.

The Big Ten Conference is an association of 14 world-class universities committed to the pursuit and attainment of athletic and academic excellence. Big Ten institutions feature broad-based athletic programs which provide nearly $200 million in direct financial aid to almost 9,500 student-athletes on 350 teams in 42 different sports.

We look forward to working with the ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC through the NCAA autonomy governance structure toward adoption and implementation of these proposals.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/02/14 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

B1G TV Schedule

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/WBBTVSCHEDULE.pdf

bucks4now

PostPosted: 10/02/14 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is BTN Plus, plus what?

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 10/02/14 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
What is BTN Plus, plus what?

On-line subscription package .

http://www.btn2go.com/packages?type=0

bucks4now

PostPosted: 10/02/14 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing that most of the games they want us to pay for. The number of games that are on the channel have gone down every years since they launched. I had a conversation with Miechelle Willis and told her that it was wrong for us to pay for the games and the games are produced by the students. I told her that was "double dipping".

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 10/02/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have a problem paying for a subscription. It costs money to produce those games.

Looks like we won't be watching Raven Ferguson-

Raven Ferguson Dismissed From Team

Columbus native played in 95 career games for the Buckeyes the past three years

Oct. 2, 2014
COLUMBUS, Ohio Kevin McGuff, Ohio State head womens basketball coach, announced today that senior guard Raven Ferguson has been dismissed from the team for a violation of team rules.

Ive enjoyed having the opportunity to coach Raven this past year, McGuff said. And its unfortunate that were at this point, but due to a violation of team rules she can no longer be a part of our program. I wish her nothing but success as she moves forward as a basketball player and as a person.

Ferguson played in 95 career games for the Buckeyes with 19 starts during the previous three seasons. She averaged 10.8 points and 5.4 rebounds last season as a junior while earning honorable mention all-Big Ten honors.

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was curious about Ferguson, so I checked: She was No. 35 overall on the Hoopgurlz list, and had a less than dazzling collegiate career.

Nothing against Ferguson, but rankings really don't mean much coming out of high school. Production at the college level is what really matters, so rating recruiting classes based on individual rankings doesn't necessarily deliver that much solid information.

PostPosted: 10/03/14 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa gets a 2016 verbal from Amanda Ollinger, who not only was receiving interest from Iowa State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Louisville, stanford, and Oklahoma, but also was being recruited for Volleyball. The 6-2 Forward verballed the Hawkeyes the day before 2015 F hannah Stewart (Minot Ryan, ND) verballed Bluder's Bunch.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/07/14 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicole Elmblad returns as captain for Michigan. Great kid. Pre-med and works her butt off all of the time.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/100614aaa.html

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan women's basketball head coach Kim Barnes Arico announced that senior Nicole Elmblad (St. Ignace, Mich./LaSalle) will serve as captain for the second consecutive season on Monday (Oct. 6).

"Nicole has been a tremendous leader for us, both on and off the court," Barnes Arico said. "She is one of our hardest workers and is always doing what she can to improve both her game and her leadership skills. I know that she has learned a lot from being captain last year and I am excited to see how she does this year in the role."

"It is an incredible honor to serve as captain again for this team," Elmblad said. "It is an exciting opportunity for me to learn from how I handled the role last year and how I want to lead this year. I am excited for the chance to continue to improve my leadership and my voice."

Elmblad started all 34 games as a junior and averaged 11.4 points and 7.6 rebounds in a team-leading 36.1 minutes per game. She led the Wolverines in steals (45) and ranked second in assists (103) en route to earning MVP honors at the season-ending banquet. Elmblad, a biopsychology, cognition and neuroscience major, was named to the Academic All-America second team, Academic All-Big Ten team and a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar.

For her career, the lefty has appeared in 98 games and averaged 6.2 points and 5.0 rebounds per game.

U-M returns four starters in Elmblad, senior Cyesha Goree (Grand Rapids, Mich./Wyoming Park), senior Shannon Smith (Gastonia, N.C./Forestview [Trinity Valley C.C.]) and sophomore Siera Thompson (Gardena, Calif./Serra) from last season's team. In addition, the Wolverines welcome a five-member freshman class that is ranked No. 23 by the All-Star Girls Report.

Michigan kicked off official practice on Sunday (Oct. 5). The Wolverines host Davenport in exhibition action on Nov. 2 before kicking off the regular season at home against Detroit on Nov. 14.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/09/14 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, this type of thing gets me so excited for the season...

http://www.snappytv.com/snaps/ita_-_episode_1_-_fine_cut_j1vgkx

gopher5

PostPosted: 10/16/14 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/101614aab.html
Quote:
2014-15 COACHES BIG TEN PRESEASON RANKINGS
1. Maryland
2. Michigan State
3. Iowa
2014-15 COACHES PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM
Samantha Logic, Sr., G, IOWA
Aerial Powers, So., G, MSU
Rachel Banham, Sr., G, MINN
Rachel Theriot, Jr., G, NEB
Nia Coffey, So., F, NU
2014-15 COACHES PRESEASON BIG TEN PLAYER OF THE YEAR
2014-15 MEDIA BIG TEN PRESEASON RANKINGS
1. Maryland
2. Michigan State
3. Nebraska
2014-15 MEDIA PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM*
Lexie Brown, So., G, MD
Amanda Zahui B., So., C, MINN
Ameryst Alston, Jr., G, OSU
*Six players recognized due to a tie
2014-15 MEDIA PRESEASON BIG TEN PLAYER OF THE YEAR

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/16/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has this already been posted?

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11709357/makayla-waterman-ohio-state-buckeyes-miss-season-knee-surgery

Waterman was expected to be a pretty big contributor this year so this hurts Ohio State quite a bit.

I am so very tired of ACL tears.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 10/16/14 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the injury was reports but not out for the year... this is sad.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/16/14 3:26 pm    ::: Big Pre-Season Voting Reply Reply with quote

Rosemont, Ill. - Maryland was selected as the preseason conference favorite in the Terrapins' inaugural Big Ten women's basketball season by the coaches and media, the conference office announced on Thursday. Minnesota's Rachel Banham garnered Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year accolades.

Iowa's Samantha Logic, Minnesota's Banham and Nebraska's Rachel Theriot earned nods as Preseason All-Big Ten honorees from both the coaches and the media. Michigan State's Aerial Powers and Northwestern's Nia Coffey were voted to the coaches' preseason squad, while Maryland's Lexie Brown, Minnesota's Amanda Zahui B. and Ohio State's Ameryst Alston were voted to the media's list.

During the 2013-14 campaign, Banham was an All-America honorable mention honoree for the WBCA and Associated Press, and earned unanimous first-team All-Big Ten accolades from coach and media voters. She led the conference in scoring with 23.3 points per Big Ten game last season.

Maryland enters its inaugural Big Ten season returning nine letterwinners and two starters from last year's squad that won 28 games and advanced to the NCAA Final Four. Brown earned NCAA Tournament All-Region honors and was recognized on the Lieberman Award Watch List in 2014.

Michigan State was picked to finish second by both the coaches and media this season. The Spartans finished the 2013-14 campaign with 23 wins and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the sixth consecutive season. Michigan State returns three starters from last year's team that shared the Big Ten title with a 13-3 conference record.

Iowa was picked to finish third this season by the coaches' panel. The Hawkeyes return 10 letterwinners from a team that went 27-9 and made its seventh consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance last season.

Nebraska was chosen third by the media voting panel. The Huskers, who won the Big Ten Tournament and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, will return four starters to this year's squad.

The 2014 Preseason All-Big Ten Teams and preseason polls can be found below.
2014-15 Preseason All-Big Ten Teams and Preseason Polls

2014-15 COACHES BIG TEN PRESEASON RANKINGS
1. Maryland
2. Michigan State
3. Iowa
2014-15 COACHES PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM
Aerial Powers, So., G, MSU
Nia Coffey, So., F, NU
2014-15 COACHES PRESEASON BIG TEN PLAYER OF THE YEAR

2014-15 MEDIA BIG TEN PRESEASON RANKINGS
1. Maryland
2. Michigan State
3. Nebraska
2014-15 MEDIA PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM*
Lexie Brown, So., G, MD
Amanda Zahui B., So., C, MINN
Ameryst Alston, Jr., G, OSU
*Six players recognized due to a tie
2014-15 MEDIA PRESEASON BIG TEN PLAYER OF THE YEAR

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/16/14 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yay Rachel! Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/16/14 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why does nobody list more than the top 3 teams? [frustrated!]

- Amanda Gorman
mzonefan

PostPosted: 10/17/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
why does nobody list more than the top 3 teams? [frustrated!]

The B1G has had that practice for years and years. The only thing I can think of is they don't want to hurt the perception of the other teams.

At least they're consistent, and it applies to the Men's side, also.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 10/17/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Has this already been posted?

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11709357/makayla-waterman-ohio-state-buckeyes-miss-season-knee-surgery

Waterman was expected to be a pretty big contributor this year so this hurts Ohio State quite a bit.

I am so very tired of ACL tears.

Amen. Thank you for putting it so nicely.

tOSU women, in two quick steps, went from a very thin front-court to none at all. Raven Ferguson @ 5'11" sturdy build, physical play, good inside skills, was always going to be a front-court contributor on this team. Talented, steady Makayla, was going to be the same. Neither Blair nor Hart can currently give more than a few minutes a game of hard aggressive play. That leaves Kalpana Beach who was wonderful two years ago, but who knows now? Lastly, Shala Cooper can play in January!

Beyond that, we have five guards oozing with talent and eager to play..........problem is, only two have ever started a college game!

I already believe that we are blessed with a really excellent coach and recruiter........so the talent will come, but, damn, this is going to be another tough season!

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/18/14 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Q & A with Lisa Bluder. Hawkeyes are seeking their eighth consecutive NCAA tournament bid.

http://m.hawkeyesports.com/m/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/101714aaa.html

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/20/14 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Big Ten is YOUNG. I think it's a battle between Iowa and Maryland. Rutgers could play spoiler.

PostPosted: 10/21/14 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Northwestern note: Freshman point guard Morgan Green from Northern California is not on the roster and apparently is going to a JC in the Bay Area. She was a very athletic guard who was the fifth-rated NorCal player -- behind two Mickey's Girls, Mariya Moore, who went to Louisville, and Kelli Hayes, who went to UCLA.

PostPosted: 10/22/14 7:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
The Big Ten is YOUNG. I think it's a battle between Iowa and Maryland. Rutgers could play spoiler.

I'm surprised that the Terps are considered a favorite or co-favorite. Not only did they lose nearly half their scoring and rebounding to graduation, but also their senior leadership, and that really hurts.

Terps are very young. Starting lineup could possibly be 3 sophs, 2 freshman and a RS freshman. At practice on Sunday, Coach B was using all different combinations. I doubt she knows yet who will be starting.

Plus the "B1G" questionmark in my mind is how the demanding travel schedule will impact team performance. Trips to Nebraska and Minnesota are a whole lot more time consuming and exhausting than short hops around the ACC. Until the team gets used to this travel schedule -- and the larger crowds in many of the B1G arena -- It could very well take its toll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: