RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

B1G News 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/20/15 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is cool. Pick the winners in the remaining games and click Submit to see the bracket projections.

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=wbb

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/20/15 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
This is cool. Pick the winners in the remaining games and click Submit to see the bracket projections.

http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=wbb

very cool! Thanks.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/20/15 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This isn't just for the Big 10. It looks like the site has bracket generators for all of the "power" conferences, women's and men's.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/20/15 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Well, at least she's a jr.

I had ankle ligament reconstruction surgery at 35. It was successful but very painful and it had a long recovery time.

After surgery the pain was severe and for a week afterward I couldn't even have my foot lower than my heart because the pain was unbearable. It was quite a while before it could withstand any pressure at all.

Even 6 months later it wasn't 100% healed and it was more than 2 years before the constant pain/discomfort at the incision site ended.

I had total reconstruction done while at Stanford and it went really really well. Done in the Spring and I was back totally by Fall practice. I had numbness in a couple of toes for quite a few years but otherwise it was great and has never bothered me again. And this was quite a few years ago too so maybe Clara Barton was taking care of my ward. The doctor asked me to crutch up and down the hall in front of a 49er player's door because he had the same surgery the same day but was refusing to get out of bed.
Laughing
So hopefully her experience is more like mine than yours!

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/20/15 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Well, at least she's a jr.

I had ankle ligament reconstruction surgery at 35. It was successful but very painful and it had a long recovery time.

After surgery the pain was severe and for a week afterward I couldn't even have my foot lower than my heart because the pain was unbearable. It was quite a while before it could withstand any pressure at all.

Even 6 months later it wasn't 100% healed and it was more than 2 years before the constant pain/discomfort at the incision site ended.

I had total reconstruction done while at Stanford and it went really really well. Done in the Spring and I was back totally by Fall practice. I had numbness in a couple of toes for quite a few years but otherwise it was great and has never bothered me again. And this was quite a few years ago too so maybe Clara Barton was taking care of my ward. The doctor asked me to crutch up and down the hall in front of a 49er player's door because he had the same surgery the same day but was refusing to get out of bed.
Laughing
So hopefully her experience is more like mine than yours!

He's a guy (the 49er), what did you expect? LOL

Sorry, the nurse in me couldn't resist that. It was always the male patients we had the most trouble getting up after open heart surgery. The women would fuss and complain some, but they got up anyway. The men....it sometimes took an act of God and congress and a little dynamite to get them out of bed for meals and those twice a day promenades in the hall, so I speak from experience.

PostPosted: 02/20/15 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(And that was probably uncalled for, and I do apologize to cthskzfn who sounds like he had some complications with his surgery.)

PostPosted: 02/21/15 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
(And that was probably uncalled for, and I do apologize to cthskzfn who sounds like he had some complications with his surgery.)

Nah. He's a Husky fan....he can take it. Laughing

And Myrtle, you're not kidding anyone here....Florence Nightingale was your charge nurse. You're too old to have had Clara's care.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/21/15 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Yes, but when you were 35, Clara Barton was in charge of your ward. I'm thinking modern technologies might favor Ms. Theriot significantly. Wink Razz

Ha! Sad and nearly true. What- they don't use hatchets, leeches and whiskey anymore? Smile

The surgery was a success- no more ankle rolls/sprains. Just took a loooong time to heal.

THE major drag was how the insurance co.- Blue Shield/Blue Cross- handled it. They said it was an outpatient procedure and I would not be admitted to the hospital unless it was demonstrated that, even 4 hours after the surgery, my pain STILL could not be controlled w/ weak scrip stuff like codeine.

Before the op the surgeon told me to tell BC/BS that there is no way I will be able to go home the same day- the pain would be too great. (He was one of the surgeons for the Hartford Whalers and said not one of them had ever been able to go home the same day). I plead my case but BC/BS refused to budge unless that threshold of pain was met.

This meant that I had to suffer some really ridiculous pain while waiting for noon so that I could get some demerol.

The nurses did their best to make me comfortable but there was nothing they could do. I spent 2 hours literally drumming my head w/ both fists to try to distract myself from the ankle pain.

As soon as the 4 hours were up I was given the drug. Even then, the pain would resume before I was eligible for the next dose, by about half an hour.

I've hated the ins. industry ever since. Evil or Very Mad

The next time I required surgery, ~15 yrs later, one major change I noticed right away in the hospital was signs posted in every room informing patients that pain management was a priority and to keep the staff informed of your current pain level. I hope this was an industry-wide change in philosophy and practice. Wink

PostPosted: 02/21/15 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cth, I'm a nurse....you do NOT want to get me started on the insurance industry! Twisted Evil By the time I found out just exactly how badly my ankle was damaged, they told me there was nothing they could do to fix it. Many years later, I was told I could possibly have a Gore-Tex replacement or a cadaver transplant, but first the insurance company said that was "experimental" and later they said they would not pay because it would be "elective surgery" since I had been walking around on the ankle for years. So I'm still limping around on it all these years afterwards and probably will forever. It goes out from under me now and then and I can't run at all, but oh well.

PostPosted: 02/21/15 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/15 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/15 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 02/21/15 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops.....what's pilight call it?

bullsky

PostPosted: 02/21/15 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Illini get some revenge on Purdue, with the win at Mackey 47-46. Trailed the entire game too! Cool

PostPosted: 02/21/15 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does the Purdue coach survive this mess? How much does Purdue pay her to put this product on the floor?

bacabuck

PostPosted: 02/21/15 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow! I just watched a game where Iowa's starters scored 78 points and still lost by 18 ...........I wonder how that could have happened.......Perhaps, the rankings are a little skewed.

Durantula

PostPosted: 02/22/15 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mildred wrote:
Does the Purdue coach survive this mess? How much does Purdue pay her to put this product on the floor?

Versyp signed an extension in May, 2014 that goes through the 2019-2020 season. Salary for 2014-2015 is around $550k and will go up to around $600k for 2015-2016. http://www.jconline.com/story/mike-carmin/2014/05/23/salary-increase-part-versyp-contract-extension/9505969/ One interesting part of her contract is this:
• Purdue announced Versyp's extension as a two-year deal, but a clause in the contract states that Versyp must remain with the program through June 30, 2015, in order for the contract to extend through June 30, 2020. Not a big deal.

Her recruiting class coming in is supposed to be pretty good but at the same time she loses her best player, so the net effect could be close to a wash for 2015, but time will tell. Has a lot of young players with real size which can be good. Horrocks the freshman and an incoming 6'6 kid.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/22/15 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steph White's Big Ten Oscar nods

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/22/15 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Like! Thanks for posting this.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/22/15 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting Chain of Events for me:

1. I draft Ariel Powers, Tori Jankowska, Betnijah Laney, Lauren Mincy, Rachel Theriot, and Tyra Buss onto my Fantasy Team.

2. I start watching more B1G games, specifically for my players.

3. I am now an official B1G fan! Cool

Of course, my primary allegiances still lie with the (Real) Big:12, to which I was drawn so many years ago by the Paris twins--but the Big Ten takes now over as my #2 fave, over the ACC.

I believe I shall adopt Michigan State as My Team, too....aside from obvious attractions like Ms. Merchant's uncanny resemblance to Sissy Spacek, I like this team's grittiness and flash.

Can anyone give me the thumbnail sketch of Spartan players lost this year? I was amazed by the post player who started the game today (Sr. Day) but had, like, 17 minutes played her entire career due to 7 (!) knee surgeries--DAMN! It also looks, from her biography, like she was a pretty amazing player in high school, and went to the same school as Powers....that must have been a helluva team!

PostPosted: 02/23/15 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Welcome! Enjoy the crazy ride! (Unless you're a Maryland fan; there's stability there)

ripleydc

PostPosted: 02/23/15 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tonight after their match-up with Penn State, the Terps receive their trophy for the B1G regular season conference title.

I'm happy, but surprised. Surprised that they would award a trophy with 3 more games (including tonite's) left in the regular season. And even more surprised to learn that the B1G actually awards a regular season title at all.

In the ACC, the regular season champ is unofficial. The only recognized ACC champ is the winner of the conference tournament. So this is new territory for us Terps fans!

As an aside, you would think that given how Maryland has played to date that I would be confident about their chances in the B1G tourney -- but I'm not. (I'm NOT ruling them out, either!) However, the more games I watch, the more I'm convinced that the B1G is one of the deepest conferences out there. There have been so many really competitive games of late and some significant upsets. Nobody has a lock on the tournament championship. Nobody. Iowa, Minnesota, OSU, and others . . . there are some dangerous teams in the B1G!

In any event, I'm happy that Maryland will have some hardware to show for their impressive B1G debut season. The regular season title in a conference like this one is really quite an accomplishment!

sigur3

PostPosted: 02/23/15 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

What exactly is the difference between "supporting actress" and "supporting role" in this instance? Because I can think of a ton of better role players in this conference than Emily Cady.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/23/15 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Interesting Chain of Events for me:

1. I draft Ariel Powers, Tori Jankowska, Betnijah Laney, Lauren Mincy, Rachel Theriot, and Tyra Buss onto my Fantasy Team.

2. I start watching more B1G games, specifically for my players.

Of course, my primary allegiances still lie with the (Real) Big:12, to which I was drawn so many years ago by the Paris twins--but the Big Ten takes now over as my #2 fave, over the ACC.

I believe I shall adopt Michigan State as My Team, too....aside from obvious attractions like Ms. Merchant's uncanny resemblance to Sissy Spacek, I like this team's grittiness and flash.

Can anyone give me the thumbnail sketch of Spartan players lost this year? I was amazed by the post player who started the game today (Sr. Day) but had, like, 17 minutes played her entire career due to 7 (!) knee surgeries--DAMN! It also looks, from her biography, like she was a pretty amazing player in high school, and went to the same school as Powers....that must have been a helluva team!

I'm so glad to have an active B1G thread this year with those paying more attention to conference players for fantasy league and the additions of Maryland and Rutgers.

MSU as far as I can remember:

As you noted, Madison Williams, is finished with all of her knee injuries. She was supposed to be the next big thing for the Spartans after Alyssa DeHaan.

RS Sophomore guard Branndais Agee suffered an ACL this summer. According to an interview with Suzy Merchant, she was either their best player or "pretty darn close". Agee redshirted her true freshman season after tearing an ACL after playing a few games.

Jasmine Hines, senior post, suffered concussions this year (and last) and has finally been declared out for the season. Suzy noted they will get her a redshirt year if she wants to come back. Hines was not honored on senior day as far as I can tell, so I'd take that to show she plans on coming back.

Kiara Carter, freshman guard, out with an injury (don't remember what) for the season.

Departures:
Jasmine Lumpkins, a freshman who had started, left mid-year and transferred to TAMU.

Kiana Johnson, who could have been the starting point guard, left the team after being suspended in 2013-14 as a junior.

Camille Glymph, who would have been a RS senior guard (2-year Auburn player, transfer year and then injury year), decided to leave at some point last year and is finishing up at D2 Mars Hill.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/28/15 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
gopher5 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
Big Ten weekly awards:

PoW: Betnijah Laney, Rutgers
Honor roll: Jacqui Grant, Illiniois; Bethany Doolittle; Iowa, Nia Coffey, Northwestern
FoW: Carlie Wagner, Minnesota

Although the release says it's Laney's 2nd PoW, it's actually her 3rd (somehow they missed the one in January), so she's the only player in the conference to have 3 so far. The Rutgers WCBB page got it right, though.

Kelsey Mitchell from OSU has 6 FoW awards, plus two PoW awards. I'd say she's the runaway favorite for FoY.

[url=/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/020915aab.html]The best, this week[/url]

Amanda Zahui has three POW as well (12/30; 1/5 and 2/2).

Somehow I missed that - sorry. She's a great player, too.

There are severaly worthy candidates for POY. And it is going to be tough to pick a first team all conference this year.

Not even looking at stats, I'll say Zahui, Laney, Powers, Mitchell and one of (Brown, Logic, Theriot)

Am I hired? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: