RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will Stanford win the Pac 12 next season?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Stanford win the Pac 12 next season?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
No
78%
 78%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 41

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/05/14 8:02 pm    ::: Will Stanford win the Pac 12 next season? Reply Reply with quote

Feel free to opine as to who will, or even what order the teams will finish.
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 06/05/14 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Year of the Beaver!!

blaase22

PostPosted: 06/05/14 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have a feeling UCLA finally will.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/06/14 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford has a chance, certainly, but instead of being the clearcut favorite, the Cardinal are just one of a group of teams that have a legitimate shot.

Cal, Oregon State, UCLA and USC all are solid teams, Washington could be good, and though Kelly Graves is downplaying Oregon, the Ducks could contend as well.

And Arizona State had a nice season last year too.

But even though Stanford doesn't have the starpower it's relied on for the past decade (or more), there are still a lot of pretty good players, and everyone in the program should be pretty highly motivated this year to prove that the Cardinal were more than just the Ogwumikes.

PostPosted: 06/06/14 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love my Bruins and will have courtside seats yet again this season to see what kind of noise they can make in the Pac, but until someone goes out and knocks off the Cardinal, I gotta give 'em my vote, just on principle.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 06/06/14 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Year of the Beaver!!

Agree

OSU is the best team top to bottom in the Pac12 that has the past year experience to fall back on. UCLA may have more talent, eventually, but they will be dressing 9 players either new to the team or who didnt play last season. Who on Stanfords roster, from last year or new this year, replace Ogwumike and Ruefs combined 1200+ points and 790+ rebounds?

Assuming no injuries

OSU
-
Cal
-
UCLA
UW
-
Stanford
USC
Oregon
-
ASU
WSU
-
-
Col
Utah
UA

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 06/07/14 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see whether this year is the year that the tables turn on Stanford. For the purpose of analysis, I'm specifically looking at how these teams may match up with Stanford. (Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, and Colorado.

Arizona (5-25) - Is there room for improvement? Definitely, the question is whether Butts has it in her to get her team to come together and make some strides after a challenging season. Losing two of the top three scorers is not a good sign for a team that averaged just 57 points and garnered a single win against Pac-12 Competition with a shock victory over Arizona State. This team likely wanders aimlessly in the cellar again as they muddle through another season at the bottom of the Pac-12--can we get BYU Women's Team into our conference instead of Arizona? The arrival of Taryn Griffey might help matters, but unless a significant improvement occurs....expect Butts to be on her way out.

Arizona State (23-10) - Gone are stalwarts Joy Burke, Adrienne Thomas, and Deja Mann as the leadership of the Sun Devil's is handed over to the youngesters Kelsey Moos and Sophie Brunner--but as usual the Sun Devils will rely on a committee to get their wins--which included a shocking win over a VERY talented North Carolina squad last season--however considering the inconsistency that the Sun Devils showed at times (a loss to Arizona?) this team might drop a bit--but never count out Charli Turner Thorn and her Sun Devils--and the freshmen could provide a spark as Ayanna Edwards highlights the incoming class.

California (22-10) - The biggest departure from Berkley this season may have been in the form of Katy Steding who is taking over the job at Boston University as head Coach; furthermore, Cal loses Afure Jemerigbe and Gennifer Brandon to graduation. While that seems fairly significant, the return of Brittany Boyd and Rashanda Gray along with the arrival of an impressive Freshman Class consisting of Gabby Green and Mikayla Cowling Cal should be right back in the mix if it can stay healthy and drama free as the situation surrounding Gennifer Brandon certainly proved challenging for the team to maintain it's consistency throughout the season. Gray will have to find a way to produce consistently if Cal has a hope of beating Stanford to the crown. The alarming fact about last season is that Cal didn't really beat any of the elite teams and ended up with some head scratching losses such as the George Washington and perhaps even the Washington State loss falls into this category.

Colorado (19-15) - The return of Arielle Roberson and Jamee Swan seem to indicate good things in Boulder, however, the guard situation has grown even more dire with the departure of the Wilsons. Lexy Kresl remains to lead the guards as they attempt to combat the tough slate put before them by the Pac-12 Conference. Colorado is good, but still lacks the elite presence that it needs to match up with the best guards in the conference.

Oregon State (24-11) -This is one of the incredibly young talented teams--Oregon State was led by the Sophomore/Freshman trio of Wiese, Weisner, and Hamblin who will all be a year more experienced and could be a challenge especially seeing how hot they got towards the end of last year--reeling off 11 straight games in Pac-12 Play before falling to USC in the Tournament Championships and throttling a dangerous Middle Tennessee in NCAA play before falling to South Carolina. The slight concern is the way that Stanford bombarded Oregon State last year with Greenfield and Thompson combining for 32 points--but if you don't have Chiney going off inside, it might prove to be difficult for Greenfield and Thompson to get open to score in a rematch with Oregon State next year. Hamblin will be a threat inside--but returning to the game against Stanford--McCall had 6 points and 4 rebounds in just 9 minutes against this Oregon State team that virtually remains the same. The question really comes down to whether Stanford has the pieces in the post to match Oregon State and keep the outside open.

Oregon (16-16) - The arrival of Kelley Graves marks the beginning of a new era for Duck Basketball--and with it a lot of questions about how improved Oregon will be under his tutelage. Jillian Alleyne was monstrous against Stanford just a season ago--scoring 26 points on 11-15 shooting and nabbing 15 rebounds. Kelley Graves presence should help rein in Rowe's tendency to shoot the ball from wherever and help create more consistency in the offense. Graves faces a challenging task--but his cupboard has far more tools than what Rueck was presented with when he took over Oregon State. I'm expecting this team to surprise some, and perhaps be tourney worthy.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 06/07/14 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Year of the Beaver!!

Agree

OSU is the best team top to bottom in the Pac12 that has the past year experience to fall back on. UCLA may have more talent, eventually, but they will be dressing 9 players either new to the team or who didnt play last season. Who on Stanfords roster, from last year or new this year, replace Ogwumike and Ruefs combined 1200+ points and 790+ rebounds?

Right off the bat, I can think of a few reasons why OSU isn't the best team in the conference beginning with head scratching losses to Creighton, Florida. Oregon State only beat one nationally ranked team (AP Top 25, Arizona State) and lost in all of it's match ups against Cal, Stanford, Notre Dame, and hell, USC owned the season series against OSU 2-1. Secondly, I would compare this year to the loss of Jeannette Pohlen and Kayla Pedersen--two incredibly talented core players to Stanford's success. (Without Jeannette, there is no way that UConn's Streak would have ended at 90 and Kayla Pedersen--for all her supposed invisibility in the WNBA ranked Top 20 in Scoring, and was the Pac-12 leading rebounder until this season.) Sure, they had the Ogwumike's coming back the next season--but I think people are underestimating just how good Amber Orrange and Lilli Thompson have been for Stanford--and when paired with a Erica McCall that gets more playing time, I think the results are going to be very surprising. The Samuelson Sisters promise to feature very prominently in Stanford's offense--and while this team may struggle against the elites, I still think that there's enough firepower to deal with the rest of the pack especially if Tayler Greenfield can become more consistent.

I'm not convinced that Stanford will be unscathed, but this team certainly has the pieces there to be a very dangerous team that has the ability to forge it's own identity in the Post-Ogwumike era.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 06/07/14 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
UCLA may have more talent, eventually, but they will be dressing 9 players either new to the team or who didnt play last season.

Actually 10 if you include the preferred walk-on, and 11 if you include Holiday, who played just a handful of games last year before shutting it down with concussions.

Gonna be a whole lot of new Bruins on Nell & John Wooden Court this coming season. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

bullsky

PostPosted: 06/08/14 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford was very dependent on Chiney. I don't think they win the title. Should be an open race, though.

PostPosted: 06/08/14 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
California (22-10) - The biggest departure from Berkley this season may have been in the form of Katy Steding who is taking over the job at Boston University as head Coach; furthermore, Cal loses Afure Jemerigbe and Gennifer Brandon to graduation. While that seems fairly significant, the return of Brittany Boyd and Rashanda Gray along with the arrival of an impressive Freshman Class consisting of Gabby Green and Mikayla Cowling Cal should be right back in the mix if it can stay healthy and drama free as the situation surrounding Gennifer Brandon certainly proved challenging for the team to maintain it's consistency throughout the season. Gray will have to find a way to produce consistently if Cal has a hope of beating Stanford to the crown. The alarming fact about last season is that Cal didn't really beat any of the elite teams and ended up with some head scratching losses such as the George Washington and perhaps even the Washington State loss falls into this category.

Cal will most likely be the favorite going into next season. Whether they win is contingent on two factors:

1) Will Brittany Boyd and Rashanda Gray play more under control and stay out of foul trouble? Both committed over 100 fouls last season. Boyd fouled out 5 times, Gray 4, and both were often in foul trouble in the first half.

2) Will Courtney Range take a big step forward in her sophomore season? Range has the potential to be the next big star and showed flashes last season. As a 6-3 wing she hit 40% of her 3s in the final 1 1/2 months after missing her first 18 tries.

If even one occurs the Golden Bears should be able to win the Pac 12; if both happen they could get to the Elite 8 in the NCAAs.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/09/14 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Quote:

Cal will most likely be the favorite going into next season. Whether they win is contingent on two factors:

1) Will Brittany Boyd and Rashanda Gray play more under control and stay out of foul trouble? Both committed over 100 fouls last season. Boyd fouled out 5 times, Gray 4, and both were often in foul trouble in the first half.

2) Will Courtney Range take a big step forward in her sophomore season? Range has the potential to be the next big star and showed flashes last season. As a 6-3 wing she hit 40% of her 3s in the final 1 1/2 months after missing her first 18 tries.

If even one occurs the Golden Bears should be able to win the Pac 12; if both happen they could get to the Elite 8 in the NCAAs.

Cal is too easy to defend right now -- someone has to make outside shots consistently. And with Gennifer Brandon gone, the inside presence isn't quite as imposing.

That said, though, Cal has the potential to be extremely good, especially if the two McDonald's freshmen make an immediate impact.

PostPosted: 06/09/14 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:

Just to update Cal's incoming class, it also includes Penina Davidson, a 63 forward from Auckland, New Zealand. From all accounts, seems like she might have an immediate impact. http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209470790

I think the Pac 12 is up for grabs next season (which is a good thing) with 4 or 5 teams having a good shot. Should be an exciting year.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/09/14 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to be much love for USC, considering how they were playing at year end. Did they lose much? Do they add much?

It does look like the PAC should be the most internally competitive it's been in years. A big question is whether there will be any nationally competitive teams.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 06/09/14 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I Like USC as a sleeper pick to win the pac next season or come close. They needed a big time volume scorer and McKenzie Calvert should be that player. she didn't make any All American teams, but she looks like the real deal. UCLA will need time from what I saw in the Micky D game Canada will be ready to go from day 1, Caldwell and Drummer will need time. Drummer also looks like more of a wing then a post.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/09/14 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think SC will be good too ... but losing Harberts is a blow, and I'm not sure Calvert is ready to make an impact at the Pac-12 level as a freshman.

But I like what Cynthia Cooper is doing, and I think there's a chance the Women of Troy could be right in the thick of things all year.

PostPosted: 06/09/14 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been dubious about Jillian Alleyne because of the Westhead system, but then I did some figuring:

Chiney Ogwumike took 17 shots every 32 minutes and generated 1.4 points per shot (free throws included). She also got 15.5% of the available rebounds.

When I ran the numbers for Alleyne, I was thinking her counting stats would not reflect her value, but as is often the case, I was wrong.

Alleyne took 14.4 shots per 32 minutes, and generated 1.5 points per shot. And she got 17% of the available rebounds.

Now I'm not claiming Alleyne is better than Ogwumike, but I was surprised to see that her rate stats were better (lots of possible reasons), and that makes me feel her pro potential might be higher than expected.

Of course, we'll see how she adjust to Kelly Graves and a brand new system, but I'm certainly more optimistic than I was.

PostPosted: 06/10/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA by 2 games

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/11/14 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i agree it will certainly be more competitive, but while discussing new players,you have to notice that Stanford is bringing in 3 more in hoopgurlz top 30...including an athletic 6'3" post. I don't think Stanford is going to just roll over and die. I actually disliked the tendency last year to always try to force the ball inside so am hoping for a more balanced attack.

I think the Pac will be more competitive nationally as well.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 06/11/14 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
i agree it will certainly be more competitive, but while discussing new players,you have to notice that Stanford is bringing in 3 more in hoopgurlz top 30...including an athletic 6'3" post. I don't think Stanford is going to just roll over and die. I actually disliked the tendency last year to always try to force the ball inside so am hoping for a more balanced attack.

Not sure who the Stanford 6'3" "post" is? K. Johnson is 6'3" but from what I read she is a face up forward.

Here are the top 7 returning scoring players for Stanford next season.

Orrange - pg
Thompson - pg
Samuelson B. - w
Samuelson K - w
Greenfield - w
McCall - pf
Johnson - f
--------------
other returners
Roberson - g
Green - g
Camp - g
Picknell - f/c
Payne - f

add in newcomers: Johnson - pf; Rooks - w; and McPhee - w

who exactly will be playing inside? who exactly will be rebounding?

Biggest rebounder returning to team is Orrange with 130, followed by McCall with 117. Chiney had 446 and Ruef had 345.

Players who get fouled and take free throws(generally those who enter the paint are fouled more) Orrange with 87 and Thompson with 65. Chiney took 223 f/t's.

I dont see a super competitive team, at least not on a top scale level. One good thing about Stanford is that they generally dont turn the ball over.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/11/14 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Not sure who the Stanford 6'3" "post" is? K. Johnson is 6'3" but from what I read she is a face up forward.

Here are the top 7 returning scoring players for Stanford next season.

Orrange - pg
Thompson - pg
Samuelson B. - w
Samuelson K - w
Greenfield - w
McCall - pf
Johnson - f
--------------
other returners
Roberson - g
Green - g
Camp - g
Picknell - f/c
Payne - f

add in newcomers: Johnson - pf; Rooks - w; and McPhee - w

who exactly will be playing inside? who exactly will be rebounding?

Biggest rebounder returning to team is Orrange with 130, followed by McCall with 117. Chiney had 446 and Ruef had 345.

Players who get fouled and take free throws(generally those who enter the paint are fouled more) Orrange with 87 and Thompson with 65. Chiney took 223 f/t's.

I dont see a super competitive team, at least not on a top scale level. One good thing about Stanford is that they generally dont turn the ball over.

X____________

PostPosted: 06/11/14 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, if you really want to get into efficiency per minute, I could point out that Erica McCall grabbed 3.2 rebounds on average for every 10 minutes she was on the court. If you expand that to roughly 30 minutes, that average comes out to around 9.6 rebounds per 30 minutes. Now, there are questions as to whether that math actually works--but given the usage rate being applied to Alleyne's scoring efficiency, I don't see why it shouldn't be applied to McCall. McCall likely replaces Mikaela Ruef in terms of rebounding and scoring ability as she also scored 3.3 points per 10.5 minutes, whereas Mikaela scored just 7.1ppg over 29.2 minutes per game. Chiney is the more challenging person to replace, and will likely be done by committee by whoever emerges out of the rest of the posts. Erica McCall also is a presence on the defensive side who actually had more blocks than Mikaela Ruef did throughout the year.

Kailee Johnson, Tayler Greenfield, Kaylee Johnson, and Erica McCall all come in at 6' 3''. I think that Kaylee Johnson's really going to have to come in and make an impact if Stanford wants to have a chance at winning, but also, Erica and Kailee should have improved over last year--and given who they were playing behind, it's no surprise that they didn't get a lot of playing time. I mean, Chiney and Ruef were both outstanding.

sammieee

PostPosted: 06/11/14 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford will be fine. They should at least be a Top 15-20 team. That should put them in the Top 3 in the Pac 12.

Lili Thompson by the end of the year looked very good, like a Top 10 recruit. Amber Orrange has shown she can be a very good player (she looked VERY good in both games against UConn, and have shown to show up in big games). I expect McCall to improve with minutes. She did play behind Chiney AND Ruef. Look how well someone like Isabelle Harrison improved after getting playing time and not having to play behind Glory Johnson. McCall was highly rated coming out of HS, made various US teams, so I think she'll be fine with playing time. I actually think their success of Stanford depends on Kailee Johnson. They need another big to play well to help McCall.

Jordin Canada is very good, but she's not Diamond DeShields. I don't see UCLA pulling a UNC next year and becoming a Top 10 team like UNC did. Plus UNC had Gray and Mavunga. Haven't seen Caldwell, but Drummer is not better than Mavunga.

I don't know about Cal, sometimes they look terrific, other times, not. Oregon State should be good, and I wouldn't sleep on Washington. Kelsey Plum is the real deal, and she'll be a sophomore next year. They stilll have Davis, Aminah Williams, Talia Walton and is this the year Katie Collier is finally healthy?

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/12/14 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:

Jordin Canada is very good, but she's not Diamond DeShields. I don't see UCLA pulling a UNC next year and becoming a Top 10 team like UNC did. Plus UNC had Gray and Mavunga. Haven't seen Caldwell, but Drummer is not better than Mavunga.

Given who UCLA has coming back from this year's team and from injury, I don't think they will need to be dependent on the freshmen was North Carolina was. So I don't think it's a good comparison, because if UCLA becomes a top 10 team I think it will be because of their returning players not freshmen.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/12/14 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I mean, if you really want to get into efficiency per minute, I could point out that Erica McCall grabbed 3.2 rebounds on average for every 10 minutes she was on the court. If you expand that to roughly 30 minutes, that average comes out to around 9.6 rebounds per 30 minutes. Now, there are questions as to whether that math actually works--but given the usage rate being applied to Alleyne's scoring efficiency, I don't see why it shouldn't be applied to McCall. McCall likely replaces Mikaela Ruef in terms of rebounding and scoring ability as she also scored 3.3 points per 10.5 minutes, whereas Mikaela scored just 7.1ppg over 29.2 minutes per game. Chiney is the more challenging person to replace, and will likely be done by committee by whoever emerges out of the rest of the posts. Erica McCall also is a presence on the defensive side who actually had more blocks than Mikaela Ruef did throughout the year.

Kailee Johnson, Tayler Greenfield, Kaylee Johnson, and Erica McCall all come in at 6' 3''. I think that Kaylee Johnson's really going to have to come in and make an impact if Stanford wants to have a chance at winning, but also, Erica and Kailee should have improved over last year--and given who they were playing behind, it's no surprise that they didn't get a lot of playing time. I mean, Chiney and Ruef were both outstanding.

I'm not going to go based on any numbers, but just based on what I saw last season of Erica McCall I'm interested in seeing how she progresses over the summer and into next season, as you mentioned she was playing behind 2 seniors, but when she came in she did decent job, and I'm sure she will step it up now that she will be one of the main players in the paint for Stanford.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: