RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big Ten Women's Conf. Tourney Site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/05/14 3:07 pm    ::: Big Ten Women's Conf. Tourney Site Reply Reply with quote

Will remain in Indy through 2022.

http://www.indianasportscorp.org/news/big-ten-announces-extension-of-football-championsh

mzonefan

PostPosted: 06/06/14 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad that 1. We don't have to endure the Sears Centre for more than next season and 2. It's not getting shipped somewhere on the edge of the "footprint" like they decided to do with the Men's.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/06/14 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I'm glad that 1. We don't have to endure the Sears Centre for more than next season and 2. It's not getting shipped somewhere on the edge of the "footprint" like they decided to do with the Men's.

+1 to all that...the experience of players, fans, etc wasn't even close to the same there as it is in Indy.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/06/14 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that I ever went to the BEast or AAC tourney, but as an RU fan, putting it in Indianapolis makes it very unlikely I will go. The Chicago suburbs are a much more attractive destination, and much easier to reach for me.

While I get the value of a central location, and certainly agree that the tournament should, in general, stay in the core of the B1G footprint, I would hope that the B1G would find a way to get to the East once in a while, as the men are doing. From a media exposure perspective, if nothing else, it would be helpful to go to DC, Philly or NYC on occasion.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/06/14 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Not that I ever went to the BEast or AAC tourney, but as an RU fan, putting it in Indianapolis makes it very unlikely I will go. The Chicago suburbs are a much more attractive destination, and much easier to reach for me.

While I get the value of a central location, and certainly agree that the tournament should, in general, stay in the core of the B1G footprint, I would hope that the B1G would find a way to get to the East once in a while, as the men are doing. From a media exposure perspective, if nothing else, it would be helpful to go to DC, Philly or NYC on occasion.

The media exposure wasn't any greater being in Chicago as it was Indy...in fact, if anything, I feel it actually became "just another thing going on" rather than an event. How much exposure is it really going to get in DC, Philly or NYC? I have a feeling there will be a media member or 2 from papers that routinely cover both Maryland and Rutgers so there will be some press coverage in those areas that the Big Ten wouldn't have gotten before. There will also be some video on the local stations during news broadcasts showing those schools, etc. I'm not sure how much actual media attention the WBB Tournament would get regardless of where it's held.

The men's on the other hand, will definitely get some additional exposure.

I understand it's easier/more options flying into Chicago but honestly, the airport and traffic are SO MUCH BETTER in Indy as opposed to O'Hare and it's not even close. There are direct flights to Indianapolis on United from Newark, on Delta from LaGuardia and JFK...as well as direct flights from Philadelphia on US Airways, from Baltimore on Southwest, from Dulles on United and from Reagan National on US Airways. There are also at least a dozen daily options coming from Chicago (only a 3 - 3 1/2 hr drive) to Indy on various airlines.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/06/14 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
The media exposure wasn't any greater being in Chicago as it was Indy...in fact, if anything, I feel it actually became "just another thing going on" rather than an event. How much exposure is it really going to get in DC, Philly or NYC? I have a feeling there will be a media member or 2 from papers that routinely cover both Maryland and Rutgers so there will be some press coverage in those areas that the Big Ten wouldn't have gotten before. There will also be some video on the local stations during news broadcasts showing those schools, etc. I'm not sure how much actual media attention the WBB Tournament would get regardless of where it's held.

The men's on the other hand, will definitely get some additional exposure.

I understand it's easier/more options flying into Chicago but honestly, the airport and traffic are SO MUCH BETTER in Indy as opposed to O'Hare and it's not even close. There are direct flights to Indianapolis on United from Newark, on Delta from LaGuardia and JFK...as well as direct flights from Philadelphia on US Airways, from Baltimore on Southwest, from Dulles on United and from Reagan National on US Airways. There are also at least a dozen daily options coming from Chicago (only a 3 - 3 1/2 hr drive) to Indy on various airlines.

Just to make this all about me: I live 15 minutes from DCA (natives almost never say "Reagan," btw), and American and United both fly to O'Hare about once an hour. I never fly out of Dulles unless it's international or there's simply no other choice because it is hideously inconvenient. Anyway, I get that other people will have different experiences, so I'm not saying it shouldn't be in Indy for this reason (and actually not saying it shouldn't be in Indy at all).

One thing that I disliked about the BEast was that the tournament always was in the same place - not to mention that it always was somewhere that was much easier for fans of one team to attend the tournament - and that makes me think that moving around a bit is a good thing. On the other hand, if I lived in Indiana, I'd probably be completely in favor of going to Indianapolis as much as possible.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/06/14 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Just to make this all about me: I live 15 minutes from DCA (natives almost never say "Reagan," btw), and American and United both fly to O'Hare about once an hour. I never fly out of Dulles unless it's international or there's simply no other choice because it is hideously inconvenient. Anyway, I get that other people will have different experiences, so I'm not saying it shouldn't be in Indy for this reason (and actually not saying it shouldn't be in Indy at all).

One thing that I disliked about the BEast was that the tournament always was in the same place - not to mention that it always was somewhere that was much easier for fans of one team to attend the tournament - and that makes me think that moving around a bit is a good thing. On the other hand, if I lived in Indiana, I'd probably be completely in favor of going to Indianapolis as much as possible.

The thing about Indy is everything is close and convenient which makes for a great experience for the fans (don't even need a car with all the hotels, restaurants, etc right around the arena). There is usually much better attendance which is a better experience for everyone. That is the exact opposite of the other location at the Sears Centre.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/06/14 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Just to make this all about me: I live 15 minutes from DCA (natives almost never say "Reagan," btw), and American and United both fly to O'Hare about once an hour. I never fly out of Dulles unless it's international or there's simply no other choice because it is hideously inconvenient.

You mean National? "Reagan"? Where's that? Laughing

Actually, BWI is by far my favorite local airport.

But seriously, they could hold it at the United Center and then it wouldn't even be a close call between Chi and Ind. Hotels, food, blues, museums, shopping, ease of travel, and every other aspect would make Chicago the slam dunk winner. The current problem is holding it out in the middle of nowhere.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/06/14 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Just to make this all about me: I live 15 minutes from DCA (natives almost never say "Reagan," btw), and American and United both fly to O'Hare about once an hour. I never fly out of Dulles unless it's international or there's simply no other choice because it is hideously inconvenient.

You mean National? "Reagan"? Where's that? Laughing

Actually, BWI is by far my favorite local airport.

BWI is a distant third for me, which is saying something considering how I feel about going to Dulles. From where I live, the best way to get there involves the Baltimore-Washington Parkway, which can go from perfectly swell to perfectly congested in about 1/2 a mile. And it's even further than Dulles. I'm not a fan of the parking, either. (Of course, National really spoils you - you can walk from daily parking to TSA in about 5 minutes.)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/06/14 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The terminal actually wraps around the daily parking garage at BWI. It's even better than DCA's. And it has its own expressway from 95 right to the parking garage. What's not to like, at least if you live in Mont Cty or far-NW DC.

And the runways were built for something larger than a DC3.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/06/14 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The terminal actually wraps around the daily parking garage at BWI. It's even better than DCA's. And it has its own expressway from 95 right to the parking garage. What's not to like, at least if you live in Mont Cty or far-NW DC.

And the runways were built for something larger than a DC3.

I will admit that I haven't been to BWI in a long time, but the last time I was there you had to take a shuttle bus even from the closest parking, so it may have been a while ago. The drive from my house to BWI is so awful, I really don't consider it at all.

As for the runways, don't you want a little excitement? Wink

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/06/14 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
But seriously, they could hold it at the United Center and then it wouldn't even be a close call between Chi and Ind. Hotels, food, blues, museums, shopping, ease of travel, and every other aspect would make Chicago the slam dunk winner. The current problem is holding it out in the middle of nowhere.

With the Big Ten offices right there in Chicago, I would think if they felt it would be such a slam dunk winner they would be holding it there now. However, my understanding is that for the women's tournament is cost-prohibitive. The fee for the use of the facility as well as other expenses associated with hosting the tournament are greater in Chicago as opposed to Indianapolis. In addition, for the average fan that is making a weekend of it, the cost of hotel, food, etc in Chicago is definitely pricier than downtown Indy.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 06/08/14 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

With the Big Ten offices right there in Chicago, I would think if they felt it would be such a slam dunk winner they would be holding it there now. However, my understanding is that for the women's tournament is cost-prohibitive. The fee for the use of the facility as well as other expenses associated with hosting the tournament are greater in Chicago as opposed to Indianapolis. In addition, for the average fan that is making a weekend of it, the cost of hotel, food, etc in Chicago is definitely pricier than downtown Indy.

I believe the "middle of nowhere" term is used when someone located east of Lancaster, Pa. refers to geography that isn't Chicago and that is west of Philly...........Isn't this BIG integration of "easties" going to be fun?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/08/14 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I believe the "middle of nowhere" term is used when someone located east of Lancaster, Pa. refers to geography that isn't Chicago and that is west of Philly...........Isn't this BIG integration of "easties" going to be fun?

Nice try, but here it's being used to refer to a facility built out in the remote suburbs of Chicago, close to nothing. Indeed, that facility failed within a few years of being built because it is indeed in the middle of nowhere, and was taken over and is now operated by the town, after the developer walked away.

Not sure what the point of your comment was supposed to be.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 06/09/14 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry. My reading comprehension skills seem to be slipping faster than I had realized.

In going through the thread it seemed to me that you and a Purdue person were jousting about the best location for the Big Ten tournament. When the "middle of nowhere" jumped out at me, I thought it was a swipe at the current location.......Indianapolis. That seemed a bit heavy handed to me so I am afraid I reverted to type and popped off. Again, I apologize.

I am an OSU fan who enjoyed "Rebkell" years ago, as a place where WCBB was intelligently and respectfully discussed year round. When the buckeyes became less competitive I lost interest and stopped coming here. With a new coach and new talent coming in I have been reinvigorated.....and am back. My first experience here taught me a lot, and I look forward to that again.

The other factor is, of course, the addition of Rutgers and Maryland. Both exciting teams that may, indeed, dominate the BIG for awhile, but in the long run will help us all to become better teams.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/09/14 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bacabuck wrote:
Sorry. My reading comprehension skills seem to be slipping faster than I had realized.

In going through the thread it seemed to me that you and a Purdue person were jousting about the best location for the Big Ten tournament. When the "middle of nowhere" jumped out at me, I thought it was a swipe at the current location.......Indianapolis. That seemed a bit heavy handed to me so I am afraid I reverted to type and popped off. Again, I apologize.

I am an OSU fan who enjoyed "Rebkell" years ago, as a place where WCBB was intelligently and respectfully discussed year round. When the buckeyes became less competitive I lost interest and stopped coming here. With a new coach and new talent coming in I have been reinvigorated.....and am back. My first experience here taught me a lot, and I look forward to that again.

The other factor is, of course, the addition of Rutgers and Maryland. Both exciting teams that may, indeed, dominate the BIG for awhile, but in the long run will help us all to become better teams.

Welcome back.

BTW, there was an interesting little thread on the RU football board a week ago or so in which posters were asked to pick which RU teams would do best in the B1G next year. WCBB was the most popular pick (which was pretty amazing on a board that has been pretty hostile to CVS over the years). I'm pretty excited about the team playing in the B1G, and definitely am looking forward to it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/09/14 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's an interesting question of how Md and RU will do next year. While I expect Md to take a step back without Thomas, I think they'll still be a top contender for the B10 title along with NU. My reaction is that RU would probably be behind Md and NU, in a group with PSU and MSU, with NW, Minn, Purdue and Iowa being a step behind but possibilities, and maybe Oh St challenging depending on how quickly the freshmen mature (and OhSt will take a step forward in Jan when rhe two transfers become eligible).

What do you expect?

bacabuck

PostPosted: 06/09/14 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you.

I remember C. Vivian from her Big 10 days as the leading coach in the conference and thought she was still doing well at RU. I admit I haven't followed them very closely.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/09/14 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This conference will be WIDE open this year...I really have no idea who I would say would be the favorites. Every team is losing some key pieces but had some good depth. The addition of both Maryland and Rutgers will make this season a ton of fun for sure.

Colerr

PostPosted: 06/09/14 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
This conference will be WIDE open this year...I really have no idea who I would say would be the favorites. Every team is losing some key pieces but had some good depth. The addition of both Maryland and Rutgers will make this season a ton of fun for sure.

Rutgers returns everyone but one bench player, and a pretty good freshman & a couple 3-point shooters.

Also we have Tyler Scaife & Kahleah Copper.
Laughing

bacabuck

PostPosted: 06/09/14 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
That's an interesting question of how Md and RU will do next year. While I expect Md to take a step back without Thomas, I think they'll still be a top contender for the B10 title along with NU. My reaction is that RU would probably be behind Md and NU, in a group with PSU and MSU, with NW, Minn, Purdue and Iowa being a step behind but possibilities, and maybe Oh St challenging depending on how quickly the freshmen mature (and OhSt will take a step forward in Jan when rhe two transfers become eligible).

What do you expect?

Good question.....I don't really know what to expect. We only had one or two good games all season. They were both in the BIG tournament. We blew out PSU 99 to 78 after losing to them big (20+), twice during the regular season,........where we could barely score more than 40 points . Ameryst Alston is really good and two others can play.

All I know is that Coach McGuff (the Thane of Schott), is recruiting lights out and looking at his nine year record at Xavier, it seems he can also coach.

We will , of course, be too young, but with Kelsey Mitchell at point and Alston at 2, we will have a very capable back court. I think we will compete with any of the old guard, even MSU........Maryland and RU will be another matter.

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/09/14 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colerr wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Rutgers returns everyone but one bench player, and a pretty good freshman & a couple 3-point shooters.

Also we have Tyler Scaife & Kahleah Copper.
Laughing

Yeah, people who haven't seen Scaife and Copper don't know what's coming.

gopher5

PostPosted: 06/10/14 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was one who was initially glad when they announced they were trying Chicago for the tournament.

But you really have to have a car, even if you fly. The arena was not great for basketball either.

I would not mind if D.C. or something in the East was tried in the future if you could get by without renting a car.

Of course, I would not mind if they could have it at Target Center in Minneapolis either.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/10/14 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
I was one who was initially glad when they announced they were trying Chicago for the tournament.

But you really have to have a car, even if you fly. The arena was not great for basketball either.

I would not mind if D.C. or something in the East was tried in the future if you could get by without renting a car.

Of course, I would not mind if they could have it at Target Center in Minneapolis either.

Problem wasn't Chicago, it was holding it in an isolated facility way out in the suburbs. You'd have the same problem if they held it at a suburban facility in any other city rather than downtown. If it was at the United Center in Chicago you wouldn't need a car.

They tried to do it on the cheap, and that was the result.

LegoMyEggo

PostPosted: 06/10/14 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The cost of using United Center for the event would be huge. Can't blame them for not wanting to flush $ down the toilet. Not to mention the problem that the United Center not only has its usual tenants schedules to plan for, but also could make more money off of things like Ice Capades or Disney on Ice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: