RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Lou Samuelson committs to UConn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBR_CT33

PostPosted: 05/25/14 7:01 am    ::: Re: Education Reply Reply with quote

[quote="LaLafan"]Getting a degree is great no matter where you go! But I was just stating the obvious - this was purely a basketball decision. And if you want to play professionally or just win NCAA championships or play until the wheels fall off (like Taurasi or Catchings or Bird), there is no better coach than Geno or basketball school than UConn. But it is a gutsy move by her because she is not Delle Donne or Stewart or any of the aforementioned legends who will be able to land a 6 figure coaching gig when their wheels truly fall off. Lu is a tweener and she just pushed all her chips in.[/quote]

Wow, that's some heavy "unloading" on a recruit. [i]"gutsy move"[/i],[i] "not Delle Donne or Stewart or any aforementioned legends who will be able to land a 6 figure coaching gig when their wheels truly fall off. Lu is a tweener and she pushed all her chips in."[/i]

First of all, were you "just stating the obvious"....you have a crystal ball that can for see the future? Let "Lu" enjoy her senior year in High School first and let the future dictate...well the future.

After all, deciding between Stanford and UConn, "Lu" must have a pretty good head on her shoulder (if Stanford wanted her)....that in itself will "dictate" whether she gets the 6 figure coaching gig when her wheels truly fall off...if even she wants a coaching gig. By the way of all those "legends" you mentioned, how many of them will actually get in the coaching "gig"...or want?

Let me just add, how many of the "legends" you speak of went to Stanford?

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/25/14 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just talked to Katie Lou (who's called Lou in some situations) at USA Basketball.

First, she said she loved the campus and the players, and though she really didn't want to admit it, it was clear her basketball future was in her mind. She wants to be the best player she can be and feels Geno will push her to be just that.

I don't get the tweener thought. She's a 6-3 small forward, and showed as more than enough speed and athleticism at the tryouts to play on the perimeter for UConn. She's not quite EDD but she's close and she will definitely have no problem playing the three at the next level, and most likely, beyond that.

She's really really good.

PostPosted: 05/25/14 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I didn't mention Stanford players because none are at the level of Taurasi, Bird or Catchings or prior legends of the game. I'll add Parker when she gets a ring in the WNBA. Tennessee and UConn are at the top because Geno and Pat get/got top players. There is a correlation. Stanford is in the pool with everyone else other than UConn and TN as far as basketball is concerned. <shrugs> Stanford has an embarrassment of riches in other areas and I am sure the administration spends not one second lamenting their athletic programs. That is not to say they wouldn't welcome more championships.

I don't know what Taurasi, Bird, Catchings, etc will do other than coaching so I was merely making a common sense guess. They can certainly remake themselves, go to graduate school, go to work, etc. but let's be real, leveraging their notoriety on the basketball court by coaching will be easy money post-career. Trying to enter the workforce for the first time in your late 30s with zero experience and a worthless undergrad degree you got 15+ years ago, does not seem like the likely path for any of these women. To clarify, it is not worthless because of the college but worthless because they have not done anything with the degree in 15+ years. Now some of these legends like Taurasi or Parker who demand top dollar might make enough money during their career to support their lifestyle after their career is over.

re: Samuelson - I have only seen her game on YouTube Clay and she may evolve. She is a really good player and if there is potential to be a great player, Geno will get it out of her. But she is not "close" to Delle Donne or Breanna Stewart (and no one will ever be Taurasi or Parker) and being 6'3" with normal athleticism and a thin frame is not a guarantee of success at the next level (college or the WNBA). I'm sure she will work hard to be her best under Geno's guidance. But it is a huge risk, not one many would have the balls to make and I respect that.

ed6566723

PostPosted: 05/25/14 10:46 pm    ::: Who's taking a hugh risk? Reply Reply with quote

LaLafan wrote:
Yes, I didn't mention Stanford players because none are at the level of Taurasi, Bird or Catchings or prior legends of the game. I'll add Parker when she gets a ring in the WNBA. Tennessee and UConn are at the top because Geno and Pat get/got top players. There is a correlation. Stanford is in the pool with everyone else other than UConn and TN as far as basketball is concerned. <shrugs> Stanford has an embarrassment of riches in other areas and I am sure the administration spends not one second lamenting their athletic programs. That is not to say they wouldn't welcome more championships.

I don't know what Taurasi, Bird, Catchings, etc will do other than coaching so I was merely making a common sense guess. They can certainly remake themselves, go to graduate school, go to work, etc. but let's be real, leveraging their notoriety on the basketball court by coaching will be easy money post-career. Trying to enter the workforce for the first time in your late 30s with zero experience and a worthless undergrad degree you got 15+ years ago, does not seem like the likely path for any of these women. To clarify, it is not worthless because of the college but worthless because they have not done anything with the degree in 15+ years. Now some of these legends like Taurasi or Parker who demand top dollar might make enough money during their career to support their lifestyle after their career is over.

re: Samuelson - I have only seen her game on YouTube Clay and she may evolve. She is a really good player and if there is potential to be a great player, Geno will get it out of her. But she is not "close" to Delle Donne or Breanna Stewart (and no one will ever be Taurasi or Parker) and being 6'3" with normal athleticism and a thin frame is not a guarantee of success at the next level (college or the WNBA). I'm sure she will work hard to be her best under Geno's guidance. But it is a huge risk, not one many would have the balls to make and I respect that.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/25/14 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LaLafan wrote:

I assume you are comparing her to those others when they were juniors in HS, right? And exactly how many of EDD's HS games have you watched, or any of the others for that matter.

I constantly read posts that compare players to Olympic pros. One such comparison is between UConn's 2014 team with the 2002 team and the common comment is that 2002 had all those Olympic gold medal winners while the 2014 team has none. Those posters fail to see that in 2002 they had zero Olympic players. I watched that team and while it was an amazing team they didn't dominate like the 2014 team. And yes, I know they were undefeated but if you look over the season you'll see there were several games that they weren't as dominant as we'd like to remember.

Five years ago there were no million dollar China contracts at all. Who is to say what players can earn in pro ball in 5 years? And why is earning power the be all and end all for a college degree. And if you want a career based on your education it's far more important to go to a top graduate school than undergraduate. And if UConn is such a slug academic school why was Maya Moore a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship? Didn't the committee know she didn't attend Stanford? LOL

Academic snobs are obnoxious.

I've always been of the opinion that if you want to be an academic you choose a top academic institution but if you want to be a pro basketball player you go to a top athletic university. And I bet Ogwumike makes more than most other Stanford grads. And her degree had zero to do with it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/26/14 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
LaLafan wrote:

I assume you are comparing her to those others when they were juniors in HS, right? And exactly how many of EDD's HS games have you watched, or any of the others for that matter.

I constantly read posts that compare players to Olympic pros. One such comparison is between UConn's 2014 team with the 2002 team and the common comment is that 2002 had all those Olympic gold medal winners while the 2014 team has none. Those posters fail to see that in 2002 they had zero Olympic players. I watched that team and while it was an amazing team they didn't dominate like the 2014 team. And yes, I know they were undefeated but if you look over the season you'll see there were several games that they weren't as dominant as we'd like to remember.

Five years ago there were no million dollar China contracts at all. Who is to say what players can earn in pro ball in 5 years? And why is earning power the be all and end all for a college degree. And if you want a career based on your education it's far more important to go to a top graduate school than undergraduate. And if UConn is such a slug academic school why was Maya Moore a finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship? Didn't the committee know she didn't attend Stanford? LOL

Academic snobs are obnoxious.

I've always been of the opinion that if you want to be an academic you choose a top academic institution but if you want to be a pro basketball player you go to a top athletic university. And I bet Ogwumike makes more than most other Stanford grads. And her degree had zero to do with it.

Linkster, I don't understand aspects of your post.

Are you claiming Samuelson is as good as or better than EDD or Stewart in high school? If so, what is the basis of your claim?

I've seen all three as juniors in high school, and would rank Samuelson below Stewart (except as a 3 shooter), and Stewart below EDD. Of course, given that I think EDD has been near the ne plus ultra at all levels she's played, that ranking is no insult to Samuelson. Indeed, I think she will be a terrific player for UConn and expect her to be on the Gampel wall and in the WNBA. Comparisons are imperfect and almost useless, but Samuelson sort of reminds me of an Ann Strother with less of a handle but much more of an inside the paint game.

You say the 2002 UConn team didn't dominate like the 2014 team. You might want to look at the stats again. The 2002 team was better in almost all major stat areas: PPG, MOV, FG%, 3FG%, APG, RPG, SPG, rebounding margin. The 2014 team was better in defensive PPG, BPG, TOPG and total 3FG made.

Maya Moore was not a Rhodes finalist. She once considered applying for the Rhodes, but in the end she didn't. I spoke to her about it.

UConn is a good state school, but it is inarguable that a Stanford degree is among the very top tier of elite baccalaureate credentials. That means a lot to many students. But you have a good point about graduate schools as an academic backstop. I believe Samuelson is an excellent student, and she thus can probably get into a prestigious graduate school if she wants to, assuming keeps up her top grades at UConn.
LaLafan

PostPosted: 05/26/14 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I said any degree is valuable and good. But I also won't engage in the fiction that an elite education doesn't give folks a leg up in life. That's not being a snob. It's the truth but not everyone needs a leg up. If grad school matters and you are referring to elite grad schools, who do you think comprises most of the students in elite grad schools? It's a system that feeds itself. It is even harder to get the limited spots in grad school if you are not already part of the club. That's not being a snob. It is the truth, too.

As far as the Ogwumikes, my guess is they have no intention of playing until the wheels fall off. I don't know how much they are getting paid but they are not getting Parker, Moore or Taurasi money (not even close) and they are probably both in the Top 20 players in the entire WNBA and extremely marketable as a duo. I don't think they will make that type of money unless they end up on the same team at the height of their skill in a big market. I also know they are more realistic than you about WBB and any 5 year forecast. I mean, LA almost went under very easily this summer and I truly believe La is a linchpin and if it went under, it was going to be the beginning of the end of the WNBA. LA is probably the most glamorous franchise with the most bankable star and the emptiness of the Staple Center is incredibly disturbing. I know Nneka has applied for grad school and Chiney is planning her future after basketball, too. Basketball is still considered recreational and a means to an end for them as everyone including their mom keeps telling the media.

As far as their classmates, maybe in the short term, they are making more but certainly the New Yorker didn't call Stanford "Get Rich University" for no reason. A good majority are starting their careers at Google, Yahoo, Instagram and any number of Stanford founded money trees. Another group is starting at Apple, Microsoft, etc. If the O sisters have 10 year careers ( and I don't think they will play longer than that) then they will be 10 years behind their classmates. You might not know this but they do and I think they will do whatever it takes to make sure they have successful post-basketball careers.

I was comparing Samuelson to EDD as a Junior. I only saw Stewart as a senior and would still put her below EDD. EDD is 6'5" which helps. Stewart is also tall and has a freakish wingspan of a 7 footer. Samuelson is not even on the same genetic playing field before we even get to skill and general basketball IQ. But again, she has potential to be a very good player for UConn.

MBR_CT33

PostPosted: 05/26/14 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FYI, these professional WNBA players DO NOT make their money playing in this league. The big $$$ contracts come from playing overseas. IF the WNBA should fold.....these players would just be playing overseas.

WNBA Salary Cap for 2012;

League Minimum: $36,500, plus daily allowance
Maximum salary: $105,000
Team salary cap: $878,000

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/7538075/wnba-players-cash-overseas

"Agent Bruce Levy said players can add to the average $72,000 WNBA salary by playing overseas, where a typical seven-month contract starts at $40,000. Marquee players can make as much $600,000, including incentives, for one season. With virtually no salary restrictions, two or three players can reach $1 million, including bonuses, Levy said. Lauren Jackson, Parker and Taurasi will make $1 million playing overseas this season."

The majority of these "legends" and non...after the wheels come off, for the most part will probably go into TV as analysts or otherwise....and I would bet that the "O" sisters would fit pretty nicely in front of a cam.

There are other avenues besides the Corporate route for the majority of these WNBA players....in the after life of basketball. Especially in a time when Major conferences are launching their own Network.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 05/26/14 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
LaLafan wrote:

I've been told that Geno believes KLS compares quite favorably to EDD at a comparable age, i.e., better shooter and more athletic. Again, he reportedly said this when comparing the two at the same age. This is only Geno's opinion.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/26/14 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's hard to judge players off of one YouTube game ...

I saw EDD and Stewart in high school, and Samuelson as well. She's third in that trio (and behind folks like Maya Moore as well, as far as that goes).

But despite that, she is the top player in her class. She is much more athletic than she appears -- both quicker and stronger -- and she is an incredible shooter (much better than Stewart, and close to EDD). She also has a relatively high basketball IQ, at least for a high school junior, and barring injury, will be a very solid WNBA wing, if not an all-star.

Speaking of injury, she injured her ankle in the last ten minutes of the three-day USA Basketball tryouts. Hopefully it's nothing serious but she had to be helped off the court.

The tryouts are very physical, very grueling and I'm surprised more kids don't get hurt. It's a war out there ...

PostPosted: 05/26/14 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, only a select few players make Parker and Taurasi money overseas. Those are the exception not the rule. To think you can make that money is saying to yourself, "I am the next a Parker, Taurasi, Delle Donne. . ." That's pretty gutsy because those are once in a lifetime players.

TV is even trickier to get into and make real money. Not everyone that picks up a basketball and is really good can analyze games and be compelling in front of a camera. It is the difference between Lawson and Swin Cash. I still firmly believe coaching will be easy money for the truly great players because the bar is low. They don't even have to be great coaches to land one of the 300+ jobs in Div I if they have name recognition and can hide their tattoos.

If you a very good player but not a Parker, Taurasi, etc., what are your options? You have to make tougher decisions. You might have it do things like pledge your allegiance to Russia and play for their national team and that can be tricky, too, because for some players, you can't be your true self in a country where being your true self is illegal. But that is where the money is (along with a Turkey and China). You have to play year round until your body breaks down and hope that in the next 10 to 15 years, you don't get the type of knee injury only a few come all the way back from (and that is debatable). And that's your likely future if you are a really good player. And that's fine because you love the game. But go into to it with your eyes open. I always shake my head when these under 16, 17 and 18 rosters come out because those kids just eliminated a paycheck.

And I clearly was not talking about the Ogwumikes making money off their WNBA salary but endorsements that would come their way if they were a successful duo in a major market with the best agent. They have not figured out yet that the best agent, the one that represents nearly every top US player, including Taurasi, Griner and now even Delle Donne is a . . . Wait for it . . . Stanford grad. Fun fact.

linkster

PostPosted: 05/26/14 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[

Linkster, I don't understand aspects of your post.

Are you claiming Samuelson is as good as or better than EDD or Stewart in high school? If so, what is the basis of your claim?

No, I am making no claims. In fact I was asking essentially the same question to the poster I was responding to. I am aware that you have seen them play. Can't say the same about LaLa.

You say the 2002 UConn team didn't dominate like the 2014 team. You might want to look at the stats again. The 2002 team was better in almost all major stat areas: PPG, MOV, FG%, 3FG%, APG, RPG, SPG, rebounding margin. The 2014 team was better in defensive PPG, BPG, TOPG and total 3FG made.

Going into the NCAA's the 2002 team had played 4 top 10 teams one of which was a road game. 2014 played 7 top 10 teams, and 3 were road games. Too bad more sophisticated stats like Pts/Pos on off & def aren't available for 2002 however I'm sure 2002 would be comparable.

Maya Moore was not a Rhodes finalist. She once considered applying for the Rhodes, but in the end she didn't. I spoke to her about it.

I have not participated in any of the penis measuring as to academic rankings of schools and don't care. My mistake about Moore.

Although I am eager to see them play,I have no idea how good any of UConn's recruits will be in 2 or 4 years or how many will eventually be Olympians but neither did anyone when the class of 2002 were entering their senior years of HS.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/26/14 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I have not participated in any of the penis measuring as to academic rankings of schools and don't care.

Damn. (Did I miss that here??) Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 05/27/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:
I have not participated in any of the penis measuring as to academic rankings of schools and don't care.

Damn. (Did I miss that here??) Razz Laughing

It was less exciting than you might think.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/29/14 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
The other two sisters are Erica And Olivia Ogwumike. And I believe bath play B but only Erica at the college level. Seems to me I heard that if Erica
is admitted to Stanford she will attempt to walk on. She is class of 2015 or 16 and Olivia is a year or two behind but not a DIV I bb prospect. That being said Nneka and Chiney are such extraordinary individuals beyond their bb skills, nothing their family does would surprise me

Apparently Olivia Ogwumike signed with Pepperdine, there is a picture of her on signing day on her twitter, and Nneka tweeted Olivia was moving in to Pepperdine today, but there isn't a mention of her on Pepperdine's athletic page or twitter.

ridor

PostPosted: 07/08/14 5:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Lou Samuelson may feel that Geno will push her to do the best she can do. But she forgot to realize that by time she gets to UConn, she will play less than 6 Top 25 teams per season before the postseason begins. Unlike many others who are good players - they will play 6 Top 25 teams but also 5-6 Top 25 teams in their conferences. How can one expect to play the best if they play Navy, East Carolina, SMU, UCF, Tulsa, Houston? Too bad Katie Lou asked for it.

R-

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Katie Lou Samuelson may feel that Geno will push her to do the best she can do. But she forgot to realize that by time she gets to UConn, she will play less than 6 Top 25 teams per season before the postseason begins. Unlike many others who are good players - they will play 6 Top 25 teams but also 5-6 Top 25 teams in their conferences. How can one expect to play the best if they play Navy, East Carolina, SMU, UCF, Tulsa, Houston? Too bad Katie Lou asked for it.

R-

Is that a serious question? If so, are you really unable to find the answer? Do you need help w/ it?

Let me know. I'm here for you.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

R-

I'd like to see the teams who are playing 12 top 25 teams on their schedule. Maybe there are some, but that sounds like a lot. Or did you mean something other than you said?

linkster

PostPosted: 07/08/14 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
ridor wrote:

R-

I'd like to see the teams who are playing 12 top 25 teams on their schedule. Maybe there are some, but that sounds like a lot. Or did you mean something other than you said?

Last season UConn played 12 top 25 teams prior to the NCAA's.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2013-2014/teamstat.html

No Louisville or Rutgers this year but they add Notre Dame and S Carolina, both figure to be top 10 teams. And isn't top 10 opponents a more realistic measure of schedule strength for an elite program than top 25? Beating a #25 by 25 points is barely more entertaining than beating #100 by 45. If top recruits want to be tested by the country's elite teams there is no better place than CT, where you get to play those teams not only during the season but in the FF most years. Or you can choose a lesser program and end your career with only memories of the regionals.

ridor

PostPosted: 07/08/14 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only memories of the regionals? *smh* You have so much to learn. For that, I will refrain from discussing this. Plus, it is not worth my time to discuss with any UConn fan.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 07/08/14 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Only memories of the regionals? *smh* You have so much to learn. For that, I will refrain from discussing this. Plus, it is not worth my time to discuss with any UConn fan.

Of course it isn't. They're likely to pursue this pearl of wisdom:

"How can one expect to play the best if they play Navy, East Carolina, SMU, UCF, Tulsa, Houston? "

Rolling Eyes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: