RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Lou Samuelson committs to UConn
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 05/19/14 9:20 pm    ::: Katie Lou Samuelson committs to UConn Reply Reply with quote

Tweeted by Mike Flynn and retweeted by Samuelson which counts as a confirmation nowadays..

I guess the reports that the AAC would hurt recruiting at UConn were a bit premature.

Last edited by linkster on 05/19/14 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 05/19/14 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=y4b1lQW4Up8

bullsky

PostPosted: 05/19/14 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HUGE get by Geno. How tall is she?

PostPosted: 05/19/14 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
HUGE get by Geno. How tall is she?

I've seen both 6' 2" and 6' 3" so probably 6'1" Wink

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 05/19/14 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey, what gives, top recruits aren't supposed to go to mid majors, are they? Wink

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 05/20/14 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
sammieee

PostPosted: 05/19/14 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might as well hand them the next 3-4 rings. I don't mind if they win it all or even go on a 100+ win streak if there are some competitive games. Unfortunately, I don't think ANY team will be able to compete (come within 15-20 pts of UConn). Unless Asia Durr and/or Diamond DeShields goes to South Carolina...

Dennis1361

PostPosted: 05/20/14 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I did not transfer from USF to Columbia College so I guess I can understand but I really don't. I hope her BB makes up for the rotten weather, poor academics, a mid major league and a town in the "sticks"

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 05/20/14 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
Well I did not transfer from USF to Columbia College so I guess I can understand but I really don't. I hope her BB makes up for the rotten weather, poor academics, a mid major league and a town in the "sticks"

Well with all those nuggets there in that one skinny little post of yours you could purchase a vineyard if they were made of gold. Hope all the grapes aren't sour though.

PostPosted: 05/20/14 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:

Man, those grapes sure taste sour, don't they Dennis? When I read this news I was happy for UCONN and immediately thought of you and smiled.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/20/14 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huge get for UConn. Katie Lou is 6-2, I'm pretty sure, because I've stood next to her, and long as well. She's a great shooter, and is, in my mind, a mini-Delle Donne -- that is, she does all the things Delle Donne does, pretty much in the same manner, but she's three inches shorter.

Deep range on the three, quicker release than EDD, played at a high level in both high school and AAU.

Her older sisters both go to Stanford, but I had heard all along that was not her destination. It's sad, though, that yet another megatalent heads East ...

PostPosted: 05/20/14 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:

That seems accurate except I've never really noticed any town there. It's just a campus in the sticks.

Having interviewed her and read a lot of other statements by her, I suspect she wants to win a national championship and has rationally calculated that it's unlikely to happen at Stanford. The strongest schools for her years now appear to be UConn, South Carolina, Tennessee, Notre Dame, USF and Columbia.

Lou seems to me to be a stronger all-around player than either of her sisters, particularly in that she has a low paint game -- ambidextrous no less.

She's in the 6-2+ range. Not as tall as Breanna Stewart, who's not as tall as Candace Parker, who's not as tall as Elena Delle Donne.

Righty, her genetic strong hand:

Lefty, her off but preferred hand for layups:

A quickly released bombs-away shot from the arc of evil:

Some video of action and an interview:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bECT3vU5bNA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3xq2b5xZKVI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Brinx

PostPosted: 05/20/14 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the rich get richer. Good news for UConn.

Side-note: I don't think being in the AAC will hurt UConn until other elite programs stop scheduling preseason games with them and/or Geno retires. There is no short-term threat really.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 05/20/14 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Side-note: I don't think being in the AAC will hurt UConn until other elite programs stop scheduling preseason games with them and/or Geno retires. There is no short-term threat really.

I completely agree with this...and I think that is what most people believe and was stated in the other threads about the conference realignment. It will take some time...

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/20/14 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
I don't think being in the AAC will hurt UConn until other elite programs stop scheduling preseason games with them and/or Geno retires. There is no short-term threat really.

I think that's right, although there may some subtle and hard-to-detect adverse AAC effects before Geno retires.

UConn now has Napheesa Collier, De'Janae Boykin, Lou Samuelson and the the transfer student Natalie Butler coming onto the maple in 2015, and they are still after top-rated guard Asia Durr and 6-5 Kalani Brown from that 2015 class. Under the scholarship limiting proposal I've made here and elsewhere -- three use-them-or-lose them scholarships per year -- UConn would have been able to sign only three of those potential six players.
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 05/20/14 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any school would benefit by her attendance regardless of basketball talent. I loved that interview. She was quick and fluid with her answers and always on point.

blaase22

PostPosted: 05/20/14 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why wouldn't she pick Stanford??

PeachBasket

PostPosted: 05/20/14 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Just a guess. She's been "third on a match" her whole life so far. Now she has a chance to choose something else just for herself. She's taking that option.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 05/20/14 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PeachBasket wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Just a guess. She's been "third on a match" her whole life so far. Now she has a chance to choose something else just for herself. She's taking that option.

Don't skip the obvious. Coaching and an NC.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/20/14 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Relatively speaking, Katie Lou is better than her sisters and had more options college-wise, and more options after college. Obviously, UConn is a great place to go to both win and develop your game.

Another note: Some players don't enjoy playing basketball at Stanford; they love Stanford, but not necessarily the basketball side of things. Of course, that's probably true at almost every school, but who knows how much Bonnie and Karlie enjoyed it? Maybe they loved every second, but you never know.

Also, just take a look at Stanford's stats from last year. Between Ruef and Chiney, they lose something like half their rebounds, 40% of their points, 60% of their blocked shots and half their free-throw attempts.

It could be a long year down on the Peninsula.

PostPosted: 05/20/14 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Homyonkel wrote:
PeachBasket wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Eh I'd take a stanford degree over some championship on a totally stacked team that would probably win it without her as well.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 05/20/14 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
PeachBasket wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Eh I'd take a stanford degree over some championship on a totally stacked team that would probably win it without her as well.

How is what you'd do relevant to Katie Lou's choice?

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/20/14 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
PeachBasket wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Perhaps Stanford doesn't offer a degree in what she would like to get a degree in.

bacabuck

PostPosted: 05/20/14 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before she graduates I believe UCON will be in the BIG......Just a thought.

sammieee

PostPosted: 05/20/14 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Homyonkel wrote:
PeachBasket wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

She has potential to be an Olympian, if not a VERY good pro. Unlike her sisters, who won't make it in the WNBA (though they could play overseas), they probably won't make good money playing basketball. They are better off with the Stanford degree.

I read an interview where Chiney said UConn was a close second, but she chose Stanford because of the academics and what it could do for her after basketball.

Hopefully Durr doesn't join them, because after Stewert/Jefferson graduates, they may not be the favorites. After the blockbuster 2015 class, I will be surprised if they get a lot of 2016 recruits (at least I hope so).

Again, I just want to see competitive games. But if the best coach stockpiles the best talent, it'll be even more boring.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 05/20/14 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Her older sisters both go to Stanford, but I had heard all along that was not her destination. It's sad, though, that yet another megatalent heads East ...

I'd hoped she might choose the Bruins, though I understood that to be unlikely. Still, even barring a Westwood destination, I'd've rather she'd gone to Stanford or any other school here in the West. But, alas, that's not the choice she made.

Best of luck to KLS in Storrs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: