RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Katie Lou Samuelson committs to UConn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis1361

PostPosted: 05/20/14 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hardly "sour grapes" but rather an accurate observation. I made a decision to not transfer to Columbia College for reasons that appeared important at the time but now I have mixed feelings such as perhaps my maturity level was not enough to have coped with the academics at CC. On the other hand at least I went to a school in a great city with great weather which Storrs is not. As I stated I hope her BB career makes up for the negatives including the AAA

Remember "Its only a game"

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/20/14 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
perhaps my maturity level was not enough to have coped with the academics at CC.

Mine wasn't. I recovered in three different graduate schools, but in a wholly different field. I've always regretted not sticking with my first academic interest.

While getting a degree from an elite school is a credential of lifetime value, one has to be ready to work for it. If a sport is more important, and there is a realistic career in the sport, passing up an opportunity such as Stanford can make sense. Kara Lawson did exactly that, and her father wouldn't attend any of her Tennessee games for a long time. However, she hasn't needed the elite credential for her successful careers so far.
Howee

PostPosted: 05/21/14 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Disappointing for any Stanford fan, but certainly understandable. Any kid recruited by Geno has to be flattered, and consider it an honor. And he certainly DOES have a knack for preparing them for The Next Level.

Re: handing them the next few NC rings is a bit premature. Lots of *hype* can result in lots of disappointment, too. Get back to me after her freshman year, 2017.

Good luck to her....she seems deserving.

PostPosted: 05/21/14 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Disappointing for any Stanford fan, but certainly understandable. Any kid recruited by Geno has to be flattered, and consider it an honor. And he certainly DOES have a knack for preparing them for The Next Level.

Re: handing them the next few NC rings is a bit premature. Lots of *hype* can result in lots of disappointment, too. Get back to me after her freshman year, 2017.

Wouldn't her freshman season be 2015-2016?

Phil

PostPosted: 05/21/14 6:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Perhaps Stanford doesn't offer a degree in what she would like to get a degree in.

Unless something has changed recently, she doesn't yet know what subjects she likes, much less a desired major.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/21/14 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Howee wrote:

Wouldn't her freshman season be 2015-2016?

Yep. My bad. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/21/14 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PeachBasket wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Why wouldn't she pick Stanford??

Just a guess. She's been "third on a match" her whole life so far. Now she has a chance to choose something else just for herself. She's taking that option.

Question, and only slightly off topic…..how old are the younger Ogwumike sisters (Erika and Victoria, I believe are their names), are they also BB players, and what are their prospects? I have heard they go to a different high school than their older sisters.

PostPosted: 05/21/14 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to admit my first reaction was a rather juvenile FU. Embarassed

Howee

PostPosted: 05/21/14 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PeachBasket wrote:
blaase22 wrote:
Why wouldn't she pick Stanford??

Just a guess. She's been "third on a match" her whole life so far. Now she has a chance to choose something else just for herself. She's taking that option.

Question, and only slightly off topic…..how old are the younger Ogwumike sisters (Erika and Victoria, I believe are their names), are they also BB players, and what are their prospects? I have heard they go to a different high school than their older sisters.

Last I heard, only one of them was a bball player, and one was not. But I really don't know much else.

PostPosted: 05/21/14 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other two sisters are Erica And Olivia Ogwumike. And I believe bath play B but only Erica at the college level. Seems to me I heard that if Erica
is admitted to Stanford she will attempt to walk on. She is class of 2015 or 16 and Olivia is a year or two behind but not a DIV I bb prospect. That being said Nneka and Chiney are such extraordinary individuals beyond their bb skills, nothing their family does would surprise me

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/21/14 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
Well I did not transfer from USF to Columbia College so I guess I can understand but I really don't. I hope her BB makes up for the rotten weather, poor academics, a mid major league and a town in the "sticks"

Right on cue. Smile

I imagine if CT wasn't a blue state you would have thrown that in as well?

Are all Californians such weather-wimps? Do you stay in bed if it's not sunny and 72? (Which I understand is a rare thing in the SF summer). Smile

The "Poor" academics POV is based upon your brilliant analysis that UConn is only a basketball factory churning out worthless diplomas, right? Must be so! Does this mean KLS won't become another Condoleezza Rice? Well then, good for her, this country and the world.

I do agree w/ the mid-major part. The cool thing though is, despite being in the American, she'll always play mo' better teams each year, given UConn's OOC schedule, than she would have had she matriculated at SU.

PostPosted: 05/21/14 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not a Californian, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to spend nine months a year in a place with a climate like UConn's….or ND's, or Minnesota's, or KSU's, or North Dakota's either. Virginia has just about as much winter as I can stand…..and I grew up in Wisconsin, so I know whereof I speak! Brrrrrr.

PostPosted: 05/21/14 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I'm not a Californian, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to spend nine months a year in a place with a climate like UConn's….or ND's, or Minnesota's, or KSU's, or North Dakota's either. Virginia has just about as much winter as I can stand…..and I grew up in Wisconsin, so I know whereof I speak! Brrrrrr.

Nine months of the year! Even northern Maine only rarely has stretches of winter weather lasting that long. As short as is our Connecticut summer, so too is our winters are. Most of Connecticut rarely has snow on the ground for Christmas though it does snow early than that on occasion. Our cold spells are nowhere near Wisconsin's.

Actually many of the Connecticut expats miss one thing above all about leaving Connecticut, the change of season, especially Winter to Spring and Summer to Fall.

PostPosted: 05/21/14 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Nine months of the year! Even northern Maine only rarely has stretches of winter weather lasting that long. As short as is our Connecticut summer, so too is our winters are. Most of Connecticut rarely has snow on the ground for Christmas though it does snow early than that on occasion. Our cold spells are nowhere near Wisconsin's.

Actually many of the Connecticut expats miss one thing above all about leaving Connecticut, the change of season, especially Winter to Spring and Summer to Fall.

I didn't say it was winter for 9 months of the year, but that is how long the school year is, and frankly, the weather there is not to my taste. My brothers and some other family went to school in the general area so I am familiar with the climate, thank you very much, and don't like it. You don't have to be Californian to not like it, which was my point. I lived in Tennessee for 35 years and got used to that, and even there I didn't much like the winter, no matter how short it was. As for snow, YUK!

PostPosted: 05/22/14 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya, really. I'm absolutely positive Katie Lou will get there and decide, "Damn, this weather sucks, and I'm transferring back to California!". Just like Kaleena, Charde, and Diana did. NOT. Laughing Laughing

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/23/14 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Yeah, no idea how we survive it. Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/24/14 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry Ct but Storrs could not even begin to be as good a place as San Francisco to go to school, certainly not when I attended and not now. Nor is UConn a highly rated academic institution. And yes one can get a good education there but it is not very likely that they would get one anywhere close to that as one can get at Stanford. So best of luck to KLS at UConn in her bb career and I hope she enjoys the scene at Storrs a with the weather .

PS I went to Oregon State University for one quarter and Corvallis was like being on the dark side of the moon and they had better weather than Storrs

acsuc99

PostPosted: 05/24/14 4:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh My God.

People still use the weather when arguing against a school?

MBR_CT33

PostPosted: 05/24/14 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Dennis1361"]Sorry Ct but Storrs could not even begin to be as good a place as San Francisco to go to school, certainly not when I attended and not now. Nor is UConn a highly rated academic institution. And yes one can get a good education there but it is not very likely that they would get one anywhere close to that as one can get at Stanford. So best of luck to KLS at UConn in her bb career and I hope she enjoys the scene at Storrs a with the weather .

PS I went to Oregon State University for one quarter and Corvallis was like being on the dark side of the moon and they had better weather than Storrs[/quote]

What was that ole Geno saying.....regarding Duke's education.....apply here to Stanford's.

``You know, there are just as many Duke (Stanford) graduates waiting on tables as there is from any other school in the country,'' Auriemma said. ``They may just be working at a better restaurant.''

newkid

PostPosted: 05/24/14 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MBR_CT33 wrote:

What was that ole Geno saying.....regarding Duke's education.....apply here to Stanford's.

``You know, there are just as many Duke (Stanford) graduates waiting on tables as there is from any other school in the country,'' Auriemma said. ``They may just be working at a better restaurant.''

I don't really feel strongly about all this, but...

I find it absolutely hilarious that the quote is grammatically incorrect. Laughing

LaLafan

PostPosted: 05/24/14 11:18 am    ::: Stanford Reply Reply with quote

Dennis never went to Stanford and does not represent the views of Stanford fans. Geno has truly separated himself from all the coaches in WBB so it is no surprise that Katie Lou feels he could develop her game at UConn better than Tara or Muffet. UConn was actually Karlie's dream school before her grandparents pressured her into staying on the West coast. This was not a choice between Stanford and UConn. This was a choice between Tara and Geno and Geno will make her a better player if she sticks it out and he does not recruit over her. If he finds better players at her position, she will see a lot of time on the bench. That should be her only concern.

ETA- I am not a big fan of Duke or the Duke education and I don't know what type of doors one will open relative to A UConn education. But I do know the same does not apply to schools like Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, Yale and a few others. In this economy, those schools open doors. In fact, they even open the doors not visible to others. Geno probably does not need to mislead recruits to get them to come to UConn by disparaging the benefits of an elite education. I doubt the Samuelsons would have believed him anyway.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 05/24/14 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing is, we are in the age of women's professional basketball. Lou's primary education will be on the basketball court. So she had the opportunity to get the very best teacher for her desired profession - Geno. The degree will be useful, but it is unlikely to be what earns her living.

I would have loved to have seen her choose elsewhere, but I could not blame any serious basketball player for attending UConn.

PostPosted: 05/24/14 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dennis1361 wrote:
.... was like being on the dark side of the moon....

I've somehow gained the impression that the "dark side of the moon" follows you wherever you may be, Dennis. Just a hunch.... Laughing

PostPosted: 05/24/14 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn isn't Stanford, but the idea that UConn is bad academics is just not a fair label. Last year, UConn was ranked in the top 20 out of 173 American public universities.

http://today.uconn.edu/blog/2013/09/uconn-receives-highest-spot-to-date-in-u-s-news-world-report-ranking/

LaLafan

PostPosted: 05/24/14 10:46 pm    ::: Education Reply Reply with quote

Getting a degree is great no matter where you go! But I was just stating the obvious - this was purely a basketball decision. And if you want to play professionally or just win NCAA championships or play until the wheels fall off (like Taurasi or Catchings or Bird), there is no better coach than Geno or basketball school than UConn. But it is a gutsy move by her because she is not Delle Donne or Stewart or any of the aforementioned legends who will be able to land a 6 figure coaching gig when their wheels truly fall off. Lu is a tweener and she just pushed all her chips in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: