RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UCONN - South Carolina home & home .
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 05/14/14 8:23 am    ::: UCONN - South Carolina home & home . Reply Reply with quote

I believe next season's game will be at UCONN , and they will go to South Carolina the following season . From thestate.com :

Its been known for some time, but it got another inch closer to finalization last week.

Talking on a teleconference about adding South Carolinas Dawn Staley to his coaching staff for the U.S. National Team, UConn coach Geno Auriemma again confirmed that his nine-time national champion will play the upstart Gamecocks in a home-and-home series beginning next season.

A date hasnt been released, but the made-for-TV matchup will take place.

I dont know that we have a firm date, but I know that we have a tentative date, Auriemma said. I think we have it sometime in February. I think its a Monday, on ESPN.

ridor

PostPosted: 06/14/14 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course Geno would do this. He's desperate to play stronger teams during the OOC season. That's why Geno is trying to beef up the OOC stronger than average. It will work for only few years, just ask Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion.

R-

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 06/14/14 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
Of course Geno would do this. He's desperate to play stronger teams during the OOC season. That's why Geno is trying to beef up the OOC stronger than average. It will work for only few years, just ask Louisiana Tech and Old Dominion.

R-

You are so pathetic

beknighted

PostPosted: 06/14/14 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
ridor wrote:

R-

You are so pathetic

You may both be right.

ridor forgets that LaTech and ODU were quite good for a long time in their not-so-great conferences. Geno probably has more ability than anyone to continue to draw great players for a team that's in a so-so conference, but it's harder than when you're in the best WCBB conference, like he was in the old Big East. (Just to respond to naysayers in advance, other conferences were better in specific years, but for a period of about 10 years, the Big East was the strongest conference on average, with the most NCAA bids and strong performances in the tournament.)

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/15/14 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course UConn has to schedule as many good OOC games as possible, among the 12 available, because all 18 AAC games will be complete snoozers to both the national TV audience as well as the continually declining local arena attendance.

Indeed, I think it's fair to say that the top OOC teams will soon have the scheduling leverage over UConn because UConn will need them more than they need UConn.

UConn will have to discard some of the traditional OOC tomato cans it used to schedule when it was in the legendary BEC.

I don't think this issue will affect UConn's recruiting in the short term because that is driven almost entirely by Geno's persona and reputation. However, over the longer term, and especially if top OOC teams become reluctant to schedule UConn, there surely will be an effect. It might even cause Geno to retire in his mid-60's if he can't keep up his Genghis Khan record.

And if UConn is still in the AAC (which I doubt) when Geno goes, that will be curtains -- except maybe if Diana Taurasi takes over the program.

That's quite an "iffy-ful" analysis, I know. But it's some thoughts to bat around on a discussion forum.
RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 06/15/14 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has there been any indication that top out of conference folks are scared and/or unwilling to play UConn?

UConn, like Tennessee before them, always looks for outside-of-conference competition - for the good of their program and the good of the game. Maybe UConn WILL fade -- but "in a few years" kinda looks like wishful thinking. Decade, maybe?

Switching focus a bit -- what about Stanford? They've lived on Pac10/12 cupcakes and out of conference games... Did it hurt their recruiting? And, now that it appears the Pac10/12 has finally gotten some chops, will they survive when they're not the only game on the coast?

PostPosted: 06/15/14 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

R-

Did u run out of comic books again?

PostPosted: 06/15/14 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

R-

UConn has played an aggressive OOC schedule for a lot of years. No conference has more than 3 or 4 tough opponents, and most have fewer. Of a lot of programs have winning their conference and making the NCAA's a their goals, and ignore OOC powers. But if you want to be ready for play in April you need to face the best in the country and the only way to do that in wcbb is OOC.

I keep reading this LA Tech comparison all over the boards. What major conference was LAT ever in? I keep reading about how UConn's conference will be their ruin just like LA Tech I don't see it. In fact name a team that won in a major conference and then regressed by moving into a weaker conference?

In fact, the better analogy to LA Tech would be Tenn. LA Tech's fall coincided with the loss of HOF coach Barmore, not a conference change. Much like the LV's loss of their HOF coach. IMO it's far more likely that Tenn will slide than UConn as long as the Huskies keep their HOF coach.

Last edited by linkster on 06/16/14 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
beknighted

PostPosted: 06/15/14 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RedEqualsLuck wrote:
Switching focus a bit -- what about Stanford? They've lived on Pac10/12 cupcakes and out of conference games... Did it hurt their recruiting? And, now that it appears the Pac10/12 has finally gotten some chops, will they survive when they're not the only game on the coast?

The Pac 10/12 was never as weak as the AAC, so I'm not sure it's a great comparison. It's at least consistently been a multi-bid conference. I'm not sure I can think of a credible 2nd NCAA team from the new AAC.

linkster wrote:
I keep reading this LA Tech comparison all over the boards. What major conference was LAT ever in? I keep reading about how UConn's conference will be their ruin just like LA Tech I don't see it. In fact name a team that won in a major conference and then regressed by moving into a weaker conference?

In fact, the better analogy to LA Tech would be Tenn. LA Tech's fall coincided with the loss of HOF coach Barmore, not a conference change. Much like the LV's loss of their HOF coach. IMO it's far more likely that Tenn will slide than UConn as long as the Huskies keep their HOF coach.

I'm not sure the history of what conference a team was in matters that much. However, if you want a comparison that's more like UConn than LaTech, there's ODU. Wendy Larry did quite well for a while, but then it became impossible to maintain a strong enough schedule to be credible.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, as there's only one Geno, but if it does I think it will be a relatively slow decline, like ODU, and at first it won't be obvious.

Phil

PostPosted: 06/16/14 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USF may make some NCAA appearances, but I don't disagree with your point, the AAC, post Louisville, is not like the PAC 12.

ridor

PostPosted: 06/16/14 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point is that when Louisiana Tech showed up in American South, Leon had to beef up the OOC. So did Paul Sanderford with Western Kentucky and Wendy Larry with Old Dominion. It appears to me that UConn is doing the same thing. It is trying to keep up with the press announcements telling us that they will schedule Notre Dame, South Carolina, North Carolina, Duke, Stanford and Baylor. Basically, Geno knew that the AAC is not going to help him in many ways so he is overcompensating by making press announcements.

Unlike ODU, WKU and La Tech, Geno had ESPN & Hartford Courant to help him out when needed. So time will tell on how it shall pan itself out. I just look forward to the day that we will have Final Four free of UConn Huskies and Geno Auriemma. That would be a good thing for the sport.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 06/16/14 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
My point is that when Louisiana Tech showed up in American South, Leon had to beef up the OOC. So did Paul Sanderford with Western Kentucky and Wendy Larry with Old Dominion. It appears to me that UConn is doing the same thing. It is trying to keep up with the press announcements telling us that they will schedule Notre Dame, South Carolina, North Carolina, Duke, Stanford and Baylor. Basically, Geno knew that the AAC is not going to help him in many ways so he is overcompensating by making press announcements.

Unlike ODU, WKU and La Tech, Geno had ESPN & Hartford Courant to help him out when needed. So time will tell on how it shall pan itself out. I just look forward to the day that we will have Final Four free of UConn Huskies and Geno Auriemma. That would be a good thing for the sport.

So Ridor, will you be watching some UConn games this season?

linkster

PostPosted: 06/16/14 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The Pac 10/12 was never as weak as the AAC, so I'm not sure it's a great comparison. It's at least consistently been a multi-bid conference. I'm not sure I can think of a credible 2nd NCAA team from the new AAC.

Being better than the AAC is no badge of excellence. During UCLA's reign there was one PAC team with a record over .500. The PAC has never been anything but a collection of "tomato cans" with one jar of caviar and a couple of tuna.

Quote:
I'm not sure the history of what conference a team was in matters that much. However, if you want a comparison that's more like UConn than LaTech, there's ODU. Wendy Larry did quite well for a while, but then it became impossible to maintain a strong enough schedule to be credible.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, as there's only one Geno, but if it does I think it will be a relatively slow decline, like ODU, and at first it won't be obvious.
[/quote]

And I'm not saying UConn won't decline after Geno is gone, or that the AAC isn't' a bad conference. I'm just tired of posters who keep talking about their schedule without any supporting evidence.

Did the old Big East provide enough competition that UConn didn't need any top OOC games? I say no. The last 3 years UConn had 3 great games against Notre Dame and little else. In fact we can look at any conference in the country and see 95% of the teams would lose by 30+ to UConn. Let's say UConn moves to the B1G. Would it mean that UConn no longer needs any top level OOC games?

The truth is that there are maybe 10-12 elite level teams in any given year in the entire country. UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke, UNC, Tenn, Louisville & 3 others that vary year to year. The 7 named are in 4 conferences.

UConn will have 16 AAC games that will be blowouts. The 2 games with USF may also but USF is a nice program that has given both UConn and ND trouble in the past.

The reality of wcbb is that there isn't enough talent. The talent that exists gravitates to a dozen teams scattered across 5 conferences plus UConn. The schedule of every top team is filled with games (in conf and out) that offer no real challenge. UConn may have more of them but not so many more to make a difference.

What the complainers are really saying is that Villanova, Seaton Hall, etc. provide better competition than UCF or Houston. That may be true but there are a lot of recruits in Fla & Texas and UConn having a footprint in those areas has some value.

Quote:
UConn will have to discard some of the traditional OOC tomato cans it used to schedule when it was in the legendary BEC.

WOW, talk about revisionist history. I think that other than ND, UConn has lost 1 game against the BE in the last 5 or 6 years. And all but a few were huge blowouts that were over early. I fail to see how the AAC is much worse.

GEF34

PostPosted: 06/16/14 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Quote:

Being better than the AAC is no badge of excellence. During UCLA's reign there was one PAC team with a record over .500. The PAC has never been anything but a collection of "tomato cans" with one jar of caviar and a couple of tuna.

I'm very confused about reference? Are you referring to when UCLA men's basketball won national titles in the 60s and 70s? Looking back at the record books, each season had multiple teams over .500.

ridor

PostPosted: 06/16/14 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtbtbtb wrote:

Sorry to say, no. I hadn't seen them play in a long time. I think it is now 8 or 9 years in a row. And I don't intend to watch them play at all.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 06/17/14 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
dtbtbtb wrote:

Sorry to say, no. I hadn't seen them play in a long time. I think it is now 8 or 9 years in a row. And I don't intend to watch them play at all.

Sorry to say, you better continue to hide yo' eyes during the next several Final Fours because UConn isn't going away. It's class of 2019 is already outstanding and will likely get better.

linkster

PostPosted: 06/17/14 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over the entire period of UCLA dominance, 2 other PAC teams made it past the first round of the NCAA's. The Bruins had no competition other than ASU one or two years and an Oregon team that had one decent year. The rest were scrap. UCLA would play about 6 top 25 OOC teams and 5 of those 6 were played at Pauley. They were a great program and deserve all the accolades but they stayed on top despite the fact that they played a pile of "tomato cans" in the PAC and rarely travelled.

What ended UCLA's reign was the retirement of Wooden, not a dearth of top in-conference games.

There is a tendency to rate conferences on their men's football and then carry that cache over to other sports. Conference USA has been a better men's BB conference for a lot of years and yet the P12 would generally be rated higher in a poll.

Many of the Tenn doomsayers remind me of jealous schoolgirls. When a prettier girl moves in the current princesses first act nice but when the new girl gets too much attention they first spread nasty rumors about her (read:Geno's a cheat). When that doesn't work they shun her (read: we won't play them anymore). And finally, they try and convince others to also shun them. (read: I don't even watch them on TV) If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

ridor

PostPosted: 06/17/14 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
Sorry to say, you better continue to hide yo' eyes during the next several Final Fours because UConn isn't going away. It's class of 2019 is already outstanding and will likely get better.

I'm fine with it. I'm content with it. I had been fine with it in the last 8 or 9 years, I'm sure I can go for another 8 or 9 years. Thanks for your concern, though.

ridor

PostPosted: 06/17/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Many of the Tenn doomsayers remind me of jealous schoolgirls. When a prettier girl moves in the current princesses first act nice but when the new girl gets too much attention they first spread nasty rumors about her (read:Geno's a cheat). When that doesn't work they shun her (read: we won't play them anymore). And finally, they try and convince others to also shun them. (read: I don't even watch them on TV) If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

When will you ever get a clue? I'm not even a fan of UT Lady Vols and I still do not care nor bother to watch any UConn games in the last 8 or 9 years.

R-

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/20/14 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
linkster wrote:

When will you ever get a clue? I'm not even a fan of UT Lady Vols and I still do not care nor bother to watch any UConn games in the last 8 or 9 years.

R-

Sweet. Here's to 8 or 9 more.

PostPosted: 06/20/14 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford and UConn play at Maples on Nov. 17th for those who are trying to piece together UConn's Schedule.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/20/14 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
Stanford and UConn play at Maples on Nov. 17th for those who are trying to piece together UConn's Schedule.

We'll get a read on how far Stanford has fallen -- which conceivably could be not much -- in this one.

PostPosted: 06/20/14 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ain't gonna watch this game at all. Nice try but no cigar for you.

dtbtbtb

PostPosted: 06/20/14 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn did realy well with you not watching the games, however it hard for me to understand how any fan of WBB can ignore the UConn games as that means not watching any final 4 for the last 6 years....

linkster

PostPosted: 06/20/14 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:

I'm no historian of wcbb so maybe someone will tell me what "power conference" LA Tech was in when they were still a national power?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: