RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee a done deal for DD?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 04/24/14 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Actually a very nice and rather classy tweet, no matter what your personal opinion may be of the kid.

Of course she's also essentially calling Hatchell out on her statement. Hatchell said in her statement "“I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave the University of North Carolina”. Now DeSheilds says they had multiple "very detailed and emotional" conversations after which they "BOTH agreed to part ways on good terms."

Those two statements cannot be reconciled. Someone is not being totally truthful.

Of course that might not be DeShield's fault. She may be the one telling the truth.

Personally I don't tend to give a lot of credit for "class" for carefully prepared statements. Who knows how many hands went into crafting that, and how much authorship can actually be attributed to Diamond herself. It reads like one of those statements that a lawyer or agent hands to a player to read at a press conference.

I don't see the reconciliation problem.

Hatchell asked why DD was leaving. DD went into detail, and was emotional, and may have honestly felt she was explaining, but Hatchell found the explanation unsatisfying.

I have about one of those a week.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/24/14 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
posted on twitter today :

https://twitter.com/DDeShields23/status/459402132245184513/photo/1

Very interesting tweet.

Diamond's statement, although containing a grammatical error, could have been written by a professional. Hatchell's statement also was likely written or reviewed by the UNC SID office. As others have noted, these two statements collide on substance. DeShields makes it sound as if her transfer was an evolving discussion over the season, whereas Hatchell makes it sound like a sudden and inexplicable surprise.

I found this sentence most interesting:

"I have not been in contact with any universities regarding my transfer or release nor will I do so until I have finished my last class at the university of North Carolina ."

A possible interpretation of these words is that Diamond does not currently have a permission-to-contact release letter to communicate with any university about transferring. This could be because she was denied such a letter, which could be part of the reference to her "detailed and emotional" "last conversations(s)" with Hatchell. Or it could mean DD has not yet even asked for a PTC release letter for any particular school, which would seem odd to me. Why wouldn't she ask for a release to contact as soon as possible?

If DD doesn't have a PTC release letter specifically addressed to them, then any other school would be violating NCAA rules to discuss transfer with her, directly or indirectly, until she officially withdraws from UNC. This suggests that DD may not even request a PTC letter until after she has withdrawn from UNC, or that she has a release letter which restricts her communications until after she has withdrawn, or that she was denied a letter and will be paying her own way at next year's school.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/25/14 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that DeShields has not been in contact with other schools doesn't mean her coaches/advisors have not. In fact, I understand that 20+ schools have reached out to various people close to DeShields, and I would not at all be surprised if that number was much higher.

Of course, DeShields knows, as do we all, that she can go pretty much wherever she wants and she will be welcomed with open arms. It's not like she has to talk to anyone to know they will take her.

PostPosted: 04/25/14 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The fact that DeShields has not been in contact with other schools doesn't mean her coaches/advisors have not. In fact, I understand that 20+ schools have reached out to various people close to DeShields, and I would not at all be surprised if that number was much higher.

Ayup. A Chapel Hill based news agency claims they filed a FOIA request for the names of schools which have already contacted UNC about DD. UNC athletic dept did not want to release the names when the reporter asked for them b/c they thought it might be a violation of student privacy. Personally, I think that is more than a bit OTT by the reporter/news agency but filing FOIA requests from the UNC AD is all the rage for the last several years (for good & bad reasons)

I've heard a lot of different things about the situation--I guess we all have. Not entirely sure at this point what is exactly true or not. So I won't say much else.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/25/14 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Ayup. A Chapel Hill based news agency claims they filed a FOIA request for the names of schools which have already contacted UNC about DD. UNC athletic dept did not want to release the names when the reporter asked for them b/c they thought it might be a violation of student privacy. Personally, I think that is more than a bit OTT by the reporter/news agency but filing FOIA requests from the UNC AD is all the rage for the last several years (for good & bad reasons)

I've heard a lot of different things about the situation--I guess we all have. Not entirely sure at this point what is exactly true or not. So I won't say much else.

I suspect that this FOIA request will get slow rolled so that it doesn't get answered until after she's announced her choice. I won't shed a lot of tears about that, although it would be interesting to know what teams thought they had a shot at her.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/25/14 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Actually a very nice and rather classy tweet, no matter what your personal opinion may be of the kid.

Of course she's also essentially calling Hatchell out on her statement. Hatchell said in her statement "“I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave the University of North Carolina”. Now DeSheilds says they had multiple "very detailed and emotional" conversations after which they "BOTH agreed to part ways on good terms."

Those two statements cannot be reconciled. Someone is not being totally truthful.

They could be reconcilable - DeShields didn't say when the conversations with Hatchell occurred.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/26/14 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

They could be reconcilable - DeShields didn't say when the conversations with Hatchell occurred.

Actually she said the conversations were "over the course of this year". How does that reconcile with all occurring in the week between the two statements?

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/26/14 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Actually she said the conversations were "over the course of this year". How does that reconcile with all occurring in the week between the two statements?

Still not irreconcilable - If there were multiple conversations, the last one could have occurred after Hatchell's statement.

I'm not saying that Hatchell was telling the truth (or that DeShields is shading the truth), I'm just saying that the available information doesn't necessarily demonstrate that one of them was lying.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/27/14 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Still not irreconcilable - If there were multiple conversations, the last one could have occurred after Hatchell's statement.

I'm not saying that Hatchell was telling the truth (or that DeShields is shading the truth), I'm just saying that the available information doesn't necessarily demonstrate that one of them was lying.

I guess we just disagree. I think that's a giant and implausible stretch given DeShields full statement.

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 04/28/14 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diamond spent the past weekend in Norfolk at the Boo Williams AAU event. This was the first big AAU event of the spring/summer so 100s of coaches were there, including Sylvia and the UNC staff. I imagine bumping in to Sylvia might have been a big awkward.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/12/14 2:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Of course that might not be DeShield's fault. She may be the one telling the truth.

Personally I don't tend to give a lot of credit for "class" for carefully prepared statements. Who knows how many hands went into crafting that, and how much authorship can actually be attributed to Diamond herself. It reads like one of those statements that a lawyer or agent hands to a player to read at a press conference.

Both can be telling the truth, at least in their minds. Diamond DeShields could think she was perfectly clear in her feelings, but in reality it came across as unclear or contradictory from what she said in a previous meeting. So while she is clear in her mind and she things she conveyed her feelings clearly, they were not clear to Sylvia Hatchell, and while Sylvia Hatchell has agreed to let her go without a problem, she doesn't know or understand why she wishes to leave.

Perhaps one or both are not being completely honest, but it's not outside the realm of possibility each believes they are telling the truth in their mind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: