RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee a done deal for DD?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RP

PostPosted: 04/21/14 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a better explanation of how those four came together:
http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/article/8631534/diamond-deshields-allisha-gray-jessica-washington-stephanie-mavunga-give-north-carolina-bright-future

Washington: "We came up with a plan together to see if we could get the top players in our class to commit together."

DeShields: "We kept discussing what schools we liked and what coaches we liked, and UNC became the common denominator."

Friends or not, it's not a coincidence that all four play at different positions. And Mavunga, who is more of a power forward than center, tried to get Mercedes Russell to join them at UNC.

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/22/14 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
http://espn.go.com/espnw/athletes-life/article/8631534/diamond-deshields-allisha-gray-jessica-washington-stephanie-mavunga-give-north-carolina-bright-future

Washington: "We came up with a plan together to see if we could get the top players in our class to commit together."

DeShields: "We kept discussing what schools we liked and what coaches we liked, and UNC became the common denominator."

Friends or not, it's not a coincidence that all four play at different positions. And Mavunga, who is more of a power forward than center, tried to get Mercedes Russell to join them at UNC.

Is that why Mercedes was so awful her first season, she needed the friend pact around her? Boy was she stiff on the court!

gymrat32

PostPosted: 04/22/14 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:

Right, that was my point exactly...And, DD already was friends with Cooper when she committed to UNC...So, if you(DD) put in the effort to pull in top talent to go to UNC, why transfer now??? Your team made it to the Elite 8, and you have more talent coming in 2014, and Hatchell will be back..Go figure.

PostPosted: 04/22/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gymrat32 wrote:
RP wrote:

Right, that was my point exactly...And, DD already was friends with Cooper when she committed to UNC...So, if you(DD) put in the effort to pull in top talent to go to UNC, why transfer now??? Your team made it to the Elite 8, and you have more talent coming in 2014, and Hatchell will be back..Go figure.

Maybe it's that last item.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/22/14 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
gymrat32 wrote:
RP wrote:

Maybe it's that last item.

I've thought of that, too, but....then I've seen enough quotes by DD to contradict that theory.

PostPosted: 04/22/14 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember, Cooper decommitted from UNC in August. It's possible that DeShields was already second-guessing coming to UNC and had some input in Cooper's decision.

I find that more likely anyway than DeShields simply wanting to follow her friend to Tennessee or wherever.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/22/14 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is why I posted in the "DeShields is transferring" thread the quotes from Cooper about wanting to be "happy", about how she knows players at various schools, and that they tell her what's going on and who is not "happy" in their situation.

I think if you put 2 and 2 together, a plausible scenario is:

- Cooper committed to UNC long ago.
- DeShields put together her "group" at UNC and Cooper was going to join them next year so she and DeShields could play together.
- DeShields decided early on that she wasn't "happy" and told Cooper, maybe even telling her she was thinking of transferring.
- Cooper decided that if Diamond wasn't happy at UNC, then she didn't want to go there, and decommitted.
- DeShields and Cooper decided to find somewhere new where they can play together and decided on a location so Cooper could film her MTV reality show.

Anyhow, I'm betting that Cooper was talking about DeShields in her "happiness" comments, and that they've known for a while where they're going.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 04/22/14 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ScottS wrote:
Tweet from GT coach, released to DD?

5:53 AM - 17 Apr 2014
MaChelle Joseph
‏@GT_Coach_Jo
Got a phone call last nite that will impact our program immediately!! Shout out to oomf for making my day!!!����

Joseph does the random cryptic crap on a fairly regular basis - kinda turned me off the program.

PostPosted: 04/22/14 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="TigerVol"]
ScottS wrote:

MaChelle Joseph
‏@GT_Coach_Jo
Got a phone call last nite that will impact our program immediately!! Shout out to oomf for making my day!!!����

Joseph does the random cryptic crap on a fairly regular basis - kinda turned me off the program.[/quote

She received a commit from an international kid.

TigerVol

PostPosted: 04/22/14 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="NoDakSt"]
TigerVol wrote:
ScottS wrote:

MaChelle Joseph
‏@GT_Coach_Jo

Joseph does the random cryptic crap on a fairly regular basis - kinda turned me off the program.[/quote

She received a commit from an international kid.

Didn't say it wasn't valid just cryptic and open for interpretation. Just me but it is annoying. SAY you got a commit if that is the news...or if you can't say then wait until you can or have the tech press tweet the news.

Just a general observation on tweeting behavior -- the chances of tech being in the mix for Diamond are beyond slim...for reasons beyond the 2 year sit down the conference would dictate.

PostPosted: 04/23/14 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So how long is Diamond going to keep us in suspense? I imagine she has to know where she is transferring to. She needs to spill it!

greatgator

PostPosted: 04/23/14 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
So how long is Diamond going to keep us in suspense? I imagine she has to know where she is transferring to. She needs to spill it!

Diamond DeShields' mother says daughter not talking about transfer until school's out

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2014/apr/23/diamond-deshields-mother-says-daughter-not-about/?partner=RSS

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/23/14 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:

Maybw she's agreed not to tell until after her friend's MTV reality show announcement airs in June. Would sort of spoil the suspense, wouldn't it?

Phil

PostPosted: 04/24/14 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Maybw she's agreed not to tell until after her friend's MTV reality show announcement airs in June. Would sort of spoil the suspense, wouldn't it?

That makes sense

greatgator

PostPosted: 04/24/14 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Dontcha know that coaches must love recruits on reality TV Rolling Eyes

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/24/14 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Dontcha know that coaches must love recruits on reality TV Rolling Eyes

It's like all the football players who say in December "I've made a decision but I'm going to keep it secret until I announce it live on the ESPN signing day spectacular in February."

Sure makes the coaches' jobs of managing scholarship numbers and positions easy, doesn't it.

Hard to feel sympathetic for the schools, but I do feel sympathetic for all the kids who don't get to go to the school that they want to attend because that school is holding a spot for some player who is waiting until 5pm on signing day to announce he's going somewhere else but has been leading on three or four other schools that he's known for two months he wasn't going to attend just to keep suspense for his 15 minutes of ESPN fame.

gymrat32

PostPosted: 04/24/14 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I wonder where the proceeds will go from Cooper's MTV reality show..?? On the surface it sounds like a compliance nightmare. Shocked

PostPosted: 04/24/14 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Oh goodness, Cooper sounds like another Diamond, in terms of attitude! I don't know if I can get behind whatever school they pick to anoint with their talents, we'll see.

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/24/14 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oops, dbl post.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/24/14 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

posted on twitter today :

https://twitter.com/DDeShields23/status/459402132245184513/photo/1

FS02

PostPosted: 04/24/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ha, part of me thinks people like Diamond are the universe's righteous vengeance on big-time WBB coaches for accepting those ridiculous paychecks.
Laughing

PostPosted: 04/24/14 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually a very nice and rather classy tweet, no matter what your personal opinion may be of the kid.

PostPosted: 04/24/14 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Actually a very nice and rather classy tweet, no matter what your personal opinion may be of the kid.

Of course she's also essentially calling Hatchell out on her statement. Hatchell said in her statement "“I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave the University of North Carolina”. Now DeSheilds says they had multiple "very detailed and emotional" conversations after which they "BOTH agreed to part ways on good terms."

Those two statements cannot be reconciled. Someone is not being totally truthful.

Of course that might not be DeShield's fault. She may be the one telling the truth.

Personally I don't tend to give a lot of credit for "class" for carefully prepared statements. Who knows how many hands went into crafting that, and how much authorship can actually be attributed to Diamond herself. It reads like one of those statements that a lawyer or agent hands to a player to read at a press conference.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/24/14 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Of course she's also essentially calling Hatchell out on her statement. Hatchell said in her statement "“I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave the University of North Carolina”. Now DeSheilds says they had multiple "very detailed and emotional" conversations after which they "BOTH agreed to part ways on good terms."

Those two statements cannot be reconciled. Someone is not being totally truthful.

Of course that might not be DeShield's fault. She may be the one telling the truth.

Personally I don't tend to give a lot of credit for "class" for carefully prepared statements. Who knows how many hands went into crafting that, and how much authorship can actually be attributed to Diamond herself. It reads like one of those statements that a lawyer or agent hands to a player to read at a press conference.

none the less, its still rather classy tweet.
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/24/14 7:37 pm    ::: Ha Reply Reply with quote

If anyone thinks there has been no shopping then I know where Jimmy Hoffa is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: