RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DeShields to transfer from UNC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/19/14 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
When all is said and done, these are kids. Why do we expect them to act like grownups, when at least half the adults in the world don't act like grownups?

I wish this board had a like button. Like!!!

dinkytown

PostPosted: 04/19/14 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
An interesting quote by Te'a Cooper printed in Prospects Nation a while back that may reflect on this entire situation:

I think that happiness is very important; the players all being happy and that they play as a team, Cooper said. ...<snip> ...Cooper said..... Everybody thats not happy says its because when they went there they didnt do the things they said they were going to do for that player or its not what they made it seem like when they go there. So I dont want that to happen to me so Im trying to find a place where the coaches love what theyre doing and the players love being there and its fun like its supposed to be.

This is an interesting aside to the specific topic of Deshields' decision: The concept of hunting down "happiness" & "fun" as tangible goals. Rolling Eyes Who, in all of God's Green Earth, is feeding kids this bullshit? Granted, we don't need any more Renee Portlands screwing with kids' heads, but....YOU'RE NOT THERE TO HAVE "FUN" AND SEEK "HAPPINESS". You're there to: 1. Get an education and 2. Play basketball. Hopefully, you'll learn about acquiring edification and fulfillment along the way, and maybe even be happy (most of the time?) in doing so.

I agree with Cooper 100%. Why would you go play for a team you are going to be miserable playing for? Yes they are there to go to class and work on the court, but you can't expect an athlete to be miserable for 4 years to do those 2 items just for the university or team, the athlete deserves a right to happiness. I think most players play basketball because they enjoy it, not because they are forced... so yes she deserves to seek and have fun.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

Well, not entirely gracious:

"I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill," said head coach Sylvia Hatchell.

But it's apparent that they did grant the release, and she does go on to say she loves DD and wishes her well, so it's still well ahead of Mittie and KSU.

what is ungracious about not knowing the reason? She was apparently blind sided. The fact that she said she loved the kid and wishes her well is certainly gracious, and way more than anyone else in a similar position has come out with.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dinkytown wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
An interesting quote by Te'a Cooper printed in Prospects Nation a while back that may reflect on this entire situation:

I think that happiness is very important; the players all being happy and that they play as a team, Cooper said. ...<snip> ...Cooper said..... Everybody thats not happy says its because when they went there they didnt do the things they said they were going to do for that player or its not what they made it seem like when they go there. So I dont want that to happen to me so Im trying to find a place where the coaches love what theyre doing and the players love being there and its fun like its supposed to be.

This is an interesting aside to the specific topic of Deshields' decision: The concept of hunting down "happiness" & "fun" as tangible goals. Rolling Eyes Who, in all of God's Green Earth, is feeding kids this bullshit? Granted, we don't need any more Renee Portlands screwing with kids' heads, but....YOU'RE NOT THERE TO HAVE "FUN" AND SEEK "HAPPINESS". You're there to: 1. Get an education and 2. Play basketball. Hopefully, you'll learn about acquiring edification and fulfillment along the way, and maybe even be happy (most of the time?) in doing so.

I agree with Cooper 100%. Why would you go play for a team you are going to be miserable playing for? Yes they are there to go to class and work on the court, but you can't expect an athlete to be miserable for 4 years to do those 2 items just for the university or team, the athlete deserves a right to happiness. I think most players play basketball because they enjoy it, not because they are forced... so yes she deserves to seek and have fun.

Nobody said they should tolerate being "miserable". Misery and Fun are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of Daily Life, with MOST of it being Average Workaday Life. And what she says smacks of not being satisfied with anything less than All Fun.

But again....these are kids and I don't really hold them too accountable for what they're thinking or saying. But what they DO is what reveals their character, integrity and maturity levels. Unless Diamond has some Pretty Terrible Stories to validate her departure, I'd say she's definitely short on commitment. Especially if it's about wanting/needing more Fun. Confused

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
beknighted wrote:

"I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill," said head coach Sylvia Hatchell.

But it's apparent that they did grant the release, and she does go on to say she loves DD and wishes her well, so it's still well ahead of Mittie and KSU.

what is ungracious about not knowing the reason? She was apparently blind sided. The fact that she said she loved the kid and wishes her well is certainly gracious, and way more than anyone else in a similar position has come out with.

I totally agree and had the same reaction. Nothing ungracious about what BeK quoted.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
myrtle wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I totally agree and had the same reaction. Nothing ungracious about what BeK quoted.

The second part, where she wished her well, was gracious. The first part is a shot at DeShields. Don't get me wrong - If what Hatchell is saying is true (and I don't doubt her), DeShields was a bit of a jerk here, and I don't blame Hatchell at all for making the comment - but it's not gracious to let your irritation show, particularly in a written press release.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
dinkytown wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Nobody said they should tolerate being "miserable". Misery and Fun are at the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of Daily Life, with MOST of it being Average Workaday Life. And what she says smacks of not being satisfied with anything less than All Fun.

But again....these are kids and I don't really hold them too accountable for what they're thinking or saying. But what they DO is what reveals their character, integrity and maturity levels. Unless Diamond has some Pretty Terrible Stories to validate her departure, I'd say she's definitely short on commitment. Especially if it's about wanting/needing more Fun. Confused

True and college should help change their mindset and mature. They may say they are looking for fun now, but after experiencing their freshman year a work ethic should develop along with having fun! Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
myrtle wrote:
beknighted wrote:

The second part, where she wished her well, was gracious. The first part is a shot at DeShields. Don't get me wrong - If what Hatchell is saying is true (and I don't doubt her), DeShields was a bit of a jerk here, and I don't blame Hatchell at all for making the comment - but it's not gracious to let your irritation show, particularly in a written press release.

If the press is wanting to know why DeShields left the program, how should she have worded it differently? Seems like she's just telling the truth to me.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/19/14 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
When all is said and done, these are kids. Why do we expect them to act like grownups, when at least half the adults in the world don't act like grownups?

Why am I suddenly remembering the Delle Donne departure from UConn? Most of the Husky fanbase behaved VERY badly about this young woman's decision. By contrast, I haven't heard one word of regret by Elena, despite the fact she would have won a couple (or more) NC's if she'd stayed at UConn. She clearly wasn't emotionally ready to move so far from her family and especially her sister.

I'm not talking about you as I don't remember what you've said about EDD leaving. But, you have to admit some very unkind, even cruel things were said - and are still being said about Elena for leaving the "promised land."

~rAf
beknighted

PostPosted: 04/19/14 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
beknighted wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
myrtle wrote:
beknighted wrote:

If the press is wanting to know why DeShields left the program, how should she have worded it differently? Seems like she's just telling the truth to me.

It's a prepared statement. They don't have to answer any questions in it, and they include whatever they want to say. I don't doubt it was the truth, but they clearly wanted to say that Hatchell had been blindsided. That's my point.

Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/19/14 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Shades wrote:
beknighted wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
myrtle wrote:
beknighted wrote:

It's a prepared statement. They don't have to answer any questions in it, and they include whatever they want to say. I don't doubt it was the truth, but they clearly wanted to say that Hatchell had been blindsided. That's my point.

Agreed. "Blindsided" is the operable word here. Think about how it affected this board. Double that for Sylvia.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/19/14 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was a couple years ago, at USA Basketball, I think. I was sitting next to Diamond, who I don't know well at all, and I asked her something about recruiting. Her reply triggered something like this response from me:

Is it important to you where you go to school in terms of location and atmosphere? (I might have mentioned academics, but I don't think so).

Her reply:

None of that matters because all you do in college is go to class and the athletic department. You're either playing or working out all the time, so what goes on outside of class isn't very important at all.

That's all paraphrase, but the gist is there. I thought it interesting at the time that such a highly sought-out recruit had that view of college life, and how narrow her focus was.

It could just be that DeShields, once she arrived on a college campus, learned that there was a lot more to college life than class and the gym/weight room, and with new priorities, decided to move somewhere that made her happier.

There could be underlying reasons as well, but if nothing else, I think that shows that even the most focused athlete may find that college decisions should be based on more than basketball.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:

What makes it apparent that UNC has granted a release to DeShields?

Kamala

PostPosted: 04/19/14 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I don't think it matters. DeShields' family likely can pay her tuition wherever she wants to go so a release won't matter outside of wanting to transfer to another ACC school. She can't be held to her scholarship at UNC for more than a year and they can't renew it if she's no longer enrolled.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kamala wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
beknighted wrote:

I don't think it matters. DeShields' family likely can pay her tuition wherever she wants to go so a release won't matter outside of wanting to transfer to another ACC school. She can't be held to her scholarship at UNC for more than a year and they can't renew it if she's no longer enrolled.

You're right, it may not matter to her wealthy family financially.

But I'm interested in the claim that there's evidence that UNC has issued a release and hence is "well ahead of . . . KSU." I suspect most schools have exactly the same release policy as KSU, so it would be interesting to know what UNC is doing with DeShields. Of course, the public probably never knows what actually happens in 90+% of release request situations.

BeKnighted is a detail-oriented guy, and I believe a lawyer, so I'm interested in what evidence he adduces for his claim.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/19/14 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Kamala wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
beknighted wrote:

But I'm interested in the claim that there's evidence that UNC has issued a release and hence is "well ahead of . . . KSU." I suspect most schools have exactly the same release policy as KSU, so it would be interesting to know what UNC is doing with DeShields. Of course, the public probably never knows what actually happens in 90+% of release request situations.

BeKnighted is a detail-oriented guy, and I believe a lawyer, so I'm interested in what evidence he adduces for his claim.

Fair enough. It's all contextual, but I think none of it would make sense if they hadn't granted a release (or, perhaps more specifically, if they were planning on trying to hold her up).

First, the issuance of the press release saying that she is going to leave. If they were trying to jerk her around, I don't think they would have done that. At most, they would have said she was seeking release from her LOI.

Second, Hatchell's comments, including saying that it breaks her heart that she won't have a chance to coach DeShields and wishing her well.

Also, the more time that goes on without any indication that they're withholding the release, the less likely it is. I would find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have heard about it from DeShields if they were trying to hold her up.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/19/14 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Why am I suddenly remembering the Delle Donne departure from UConn? Most of the Husky fanbase behaved VERY badly about this young woman's decision. By contrast, I haven't heard one word of regret by Elena, despite the fact she would have won a couple (or more) NC's if she'd stayed at UConn. She clearly wasn't emotionally ready to move so far from her family and especially her sister.

Interesting. I'm big fans of both gals, and never once did EDD come to mind here: she's TOTALLY different, personality-wise, especially in the maturity department. I mean, I can see some parallels, but....EDD's flip-flop didn't come after an entire season passed....and with the (apparent) success DD experienced.

ClayK wrote:
It could just be that DeShields, once she arrived on a college campus, learned that there was a lot more to college life than class and the gym/weight room, and with new priorities, decided to move somewhere that made her happier.

^^This^^.... x874 Razz NOTHING opens eyes quite like the 'being there-doing that' experience.

My big hope for the kid is that she DOES find a great fit, and flourishes there, because to lose her talent is a pity for our game.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

About Brittany Hunter...I beleive she wanted to go to UCONN. Her parents insisted she go to Duke. After she hurt her knee she was allowed to transfer. So in essence Geno accepted damaged goods. She was a kid with great talent and it hurt to see her play, thinking of how great she might have been. Sad Sad Sad

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chienboo wrote:
About Brittany Hunter...I beleive she wanted to go to UCONN. Her parents insisted she go to Duke. After she hurt her knee she was allowed to transfer. So in essence Geno accepted damaged goods. She was a kid with great talent and it hurt to see her play, thinking of how great she might have been. Sad Sad Sad

That's my recollection, too. Taking her was one of Geno's better moments as a human being.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
23"]Last year it was DeShields and Gray were supposed to have been lifelong inseparable BFFs. Apparently not. Now it's DeShields and Cooper are supposedly joined at the hip.

Another interesting aside, in light of the 'other' thread floating around here regarding the differences between coaching men and women. Laughing

A serious question is, are the players actually different, or do fans just graft different emotions onto their images of the players? Did these players actually call each other BFFs, or was that just an image of them concocted by fans? Did DeShields recruit Gray just to try to try to build a winning team? Was it all business, the same as one would think of the men? Or were they actually great personal friends, dying to play together? Evidently if there were personal feelings, they weren't very deep. That is unless all four transfer together, I suppose.

Can you imagine? Shocked Made me wonder if UNC would go KSU on them and deny their releases. I think articles with the graciousness that Sylvia handled this with should be mass-mailed to KSU.

I don't think Coach Hatchell sounded ungracious at all. It reminds me very much of the way Pat Summitt sounded at the surprise departure of April McDivitt from the Lady Vols at the end of her junior year. Mittie and KSU could learn a lot from these ladies instead of being such hardnoses. I'd say they have blown their chances at getting any more foreign players for a good while.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Kamala wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
beknighted wrote:

Fair enough. It's all contextual, but I think none of it would make sense if they hadn't granted a release (or, perhaps more specifically, if they were planning on trying to hold her up).

First, the issuance of the press release saying that she is going to leave. If they were trying to jerk her around, I don't think they would have done that. At most, they would have said she was seeking release from her LOI.

Second, Hatchell's comments, including saying that it breaks her heart that she won't have a chance to coach DeShields and wishing her well.

Also, the more time that goes on without any indication that they're withholding the release, the less likely it is. I would find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have heard about it from DeShields if they were trying to hold her up.

My reading of the context is to the contrary.

A "release" is actually a permission-to-contact letter that would be addressed by UNC AD to the AD of the potential transfer-to school(s). If one or more such releases had been requested, it would have taken time to be approved by the UNC AD, and everyone at UNC would know exactly what school(s) Diamond was going to speak with.

The news report characterized Diamond's decision as a "shock" to Hatchell, that Hatchell didn't know why Diamond was leaving, and it also said UNC was "uncertain" where she would go.

I read the context as a sudden and decisive declaration by Diamond that she is transferring, and that she's not immediately concerned about the financial implications of a release vel non. She or her parents may become more interested as they focus on the costs, and they may make or be making the release request subsequent to Diamond's peremptory decision.

It's not really important, but what the heck else is there to talk about now that the real superstar has announced she is going to South Carolina.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/19/14 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
beknighted wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Kamala wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
beknighted wrote:

My reading of the context is to the contrary.

A "release" is actually a permission-to-contact letter that would be addressed by UNC AD to the AD of the potential transfer-to school(s). If one or more such releases had been requested, it would have taken time to be approved by the UNC AD, and everyone at UNC would know exactly what school(s) Diamond was going to speak with.

The news report characterized Diamond's decision as a "shock" to Hatchell, that Hatchell didn't know why Diamond was leaving, and it also said UNC was "uncertain" where she would go.

I read the context as a sudden and decisive declaration by Diamond that she is transferring, and that she's not immediately concerned about the financial implications of a release vel non. She or her parents may become more interested as they focus on the costs, and they may make or be making the release request subsequent to Diamond's peremptory decision.

It's not really important, but what the heck else is there to talk about now that the real superstar has announced she is going to South Carolina.

That's not an unreasonable view. I see it differently, but in the absence of a definitive statement, we may not know for a while.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Interesting. I'm big fans of both gals, and never once did EDD come to mind here: she's TOTALLY different, personality-wise, especially in the maturity department. I mean, I can see some parallels, but....EDD's flip-flop didn't come after an entire season passed....and with the (apparent) success DD experienced.

ClayK wrote:

^^This^^.... x874 Razz NOTHING opens eyes quite like the 'being there-doing that' experience.

My big hope for the kid is that she DOES find a great fit, and flourishes there, because to lose her talent is a pity for our game.

Yes EDD and DDS are VERY different personality-wise. I was referring to the slamming of her done by many UConn fans. Two similarities are that both are really, really good players and both were teenagers when they changed their minds. That is what I was responding to.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chienboo wrote:

Brittany Hunter wanted to party. She damaged her own knee by partying at Duke instead of doing what the doctor ordered. She did the exact opposite of rehabbing her knee. She did the very things the doctors told her not to do. And guess who was at the party when Barbar Turner, et al got into a barfight. That's right, Brit was there.

The news, with regards to Brittany's transfer is that permission was granted despite the fact that there had been extensive contact between Brit and UConn players throughout her time at Duke. Coach G did not put up a stink. She knew that Brit might have permanently damaged her knee by her behavior and basically got rid of a ginormous headache.

~rAf
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/20/14 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'm not talking about you as I don't remember what you've said about EDD leaving. But, you have to admit some very unkind, even cruel things were said - and are still being said about Elena for leaving the "promised land."

"Most"?? Come on, RAF!

Stop w/ such a ridor-esque exaggeration.

The UConn fanbase numbers in the multiple 100,000s of thousands. You refer to what, 50 at most? Let's pretend it's 100.

Does that % constitute "most" down there in Durham?

(And yes, I'm prepared for a protracted discussion re: my own commentary on EDD, (which, btw, began months before she arrived in Storrs) if you want to bore the snot out of the board.)

Re: Hunter- I don't necessarily disagree w/ you, but, had the scenario occurred during JPM's tenure, I wonder if your take would be exactly the same. Very Happy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: