RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DeShields to transfer from UNC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/14 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Voepel also said the following , which might indicate Tennessee as a more likely destination :

Part of me wondered if UNC was really going to give Diamond DeShields the spotlight that I think motivates her. Not the program, but the school and the Chapel Hill community. I'll put it this way: There are several schools that have bigger and more engaged fan bases for women's basketball.

Why not Georgia? It is home. The most likely destination, and as Art said add in Cooper and Durr. Plus, her not playing for a year home will make it more palpable.

If she truly wants to go home that's the logical choice . Georgia attendance is probably worse than UNC though .

If she goes to UGA she likely will not have to sit out a year. She will claim a hardship waiver to be nearer to some elderly relative, and it will almost certainly be granted. This is a major reason to pick UGA.

Although if she really wants to play with Cooper, she might conceivably prefer to sit out a year so that their playing years match up better and they can play together for three years.

But I must say I have a hard time seeing her choosing to be out of the spotlight for a year.

And UGA's attendance was actually better than UNC's, at least a season ago, although you would think that a difference of 3300 compared to 2500 wouldn't really motivate a transfer. The NCAA's 2014 attendance report isn't out yet as far as I can find.

Georgia attendance was still slightly better than UNC for the past season (3356 to 3088) , which surprised me . Never been to a game in Chapel Hill , but I've been on some bus trips to Athens in the last few seasons and I would have thought UNC would be better .

UNC cares about men's basketball. WBB is waaaaay down the pecking order in terms of interest.

If you ever read the discussions on Inside Carolina, you'll see a litany of posts about how people can't go to the WBB game at, say, 2 pm, because there's a men's game on TV at 6 pm. Or they're going the baseball game. Or almost any excuse short of "I have to wash my hair that night." And this is from the people with enough interest to actually be reading and posting on a UNC WBB forum. If that reflects the intensity of their interest, what do you think the rest of the community feels about it?

Seriously, when WBB is behind college baseball on the list of priorities, you know the support is never going to be any good.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/14 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An interesting quote by Te'a Cooper printed in Prospects Nation a while back that may reflect on this entire situation:

“I think that happiness is very important; the players all being happy and that they play as a team,” Cooper said. “(It’s) really the little stuff because everybody says their No. 1 in something. Every school I go to they’re number one in everything so somebody has to be lying. I know all of them have good education and they have the tutors and all that stuff but a lot of the schools I’ve see since I decommitted, half the players aren’t even happy.”

Cooper is relying on friendships she’s forged over years of playing club basketball with A.O.T. to get a pulse for different programs.

“They tell me why,” Cooper said. “I’m close with a lot of players, because I’ve played against them and played with them. Everybody that’s not happy says it’s because when they went there they didn’t do the things they said they were going to do for that player or it’s not what they made it seem like when they go there. So I don’t want that to happen to me so I’m trying to find a place where the coaches love what they’re doing and the players love being there and it’s fun like it’s supposed to be.”

PhillyCat

PostPosted: 04/18/14 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What evidence is there to support the talk of Durr being part of a package with any other player(s), particularly DeShields and Cooper? I haven't heard this before.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/18/14 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhillyCat wrote:
What evidence is there to support the talk of Durr being part of a package with any other player(s), particularly DeShields and Cooper? I haven't heard this before.

What "evidence" is there of any of these players going to any school, alone or with anyone else?

I have seen that package of three discussed multiple places, just as I've seen DeShields and Cooper discussed, and DeShields to Tenn discussed, and a whole lot of other speculation discussed.

It appears to me that no one knows where any of these players are headed, and personally I think a lot of these rumors are promoted by some players themselves to generate more publicity, a la Aj'a Wilson. Throw some curve balls out there by vague tweets and watch the blogosphere go crazy. Must be a fun game.

It's all speculation and guesses. Last year it was DeShields and Gray were supposed to have been lifelong inseparable BFFs. Apparently not. Now it's DeShields and Cooper are supposedly joined at the hip.

I expect some of the stories are simply logic and observation based on the facts that all three players are from Georgia and know each other very well. Of course that doesn't mean they want to play with each other, or even like each other.

If you're looking for "evidence" I think you're just going to have to wait a while. Until then, you're going to read more stuff like the junk I've read about " "Are grades an issue?" or "Maybe she's pregnant" etc. The DeShields junk got so outlandish on the Boneyard that HuskyNan locked the discussion, deleted posts, and scolded her own board this morning. But in the absence of actual facts, rumor and speculation are inevitably going to fill the void. Heck, even ESPN talking heads are feeding the speculation with their own complete guesses.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/18/14 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:
Voepel also said the following , which might indicate Tennessee as a more likely destination :

Part of me wondered if UNC was really going to give Diamond DeShields the spotlight that I think motivates her. Not the program, but the school and the Chapel Hill community. I'll put it this way: There are several schools that have bigger and more engaged fan bases for women's basketball.

Why not Georgia? It is home. The most likely destination, and as Art said add in Cooper and Durr. Plus, her not playing for a year home will make it more palpable.

If she truly wants to go home that's the logical choice . Georgia attendance is probably worse than UNC though .

If she goes to UGA she likely will not have to sit out a year. She will claim a hardship waiver to be nearer to some elderly relative, and it will almost certainly be granted. This is a major reason to pick UGA.

Although if she really wants to play with Cooper, she might conceivably prefer to sit out a year so that their playing years match up better and they can play together for three years.

But I must say I have a hard time seeing her choosing to be out of the spotlight for a year.

And UGA's attendance was actually better than UNC's, at least a season ago, although you would think that a difference of 3300 compared to 2500 wouldn't really motivate a transfer. The NCAA's 2014 attendance report isn't out yet as far as I can find.

Georgia attendance was still slightly better than UNC for the past season (3356 to 3088) , which surprised me . Never been to a game in Chapel Hill , but I've been on some bus trips to Athens in the last few seasons and I would have thought UNC would be better .

SEC in general has better attendance than much of the ACC. UGA would be the logical choice if she wants to claim hardship, as well as for her homesickness, although Tennessee is not all that far up the road from home and has historically gotten a lot of Georgia players. Another thought I had is that she may have found she is more comfortable playing for a male coach and isn't, after all, happy about Sylvia coming back, in which case UGA, with Andy Landers, would be an attractive option. But really, who knows WHAT is in the mind of a 19 year old?

PostPosted: 04/18/14 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:
After the FSU game she mentioned Sue Semrau was her mentor, would love to see her here but that obviously won't happen.

I remember when she committed to UNC, She said Tenn was her 2nd choice. Will be interesting to see where she lands.

I thought UNC was a great fit, agree about FSU. Any chance she pulls a Delle Donne and makes a mid-major better, instead of going to a stacked program? Asking because if she is leaving a program this good, what is she looking for?

Phil

PostPosted: 04/18/14 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen two different "threads" in the discussions, one being that she wants a bigger stage, and the other that she is extremely homesick and wants to be closer to home. I find those two dissonant. Maybe it is possible to hold both, but my guess is that one or the other is wrong. Whichever turns out to be closer to the truth may dictate where she is likely to go.

Last edited by Phil on 04/18/14 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/18/14 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the pro year in Europe should be ruled out in this scenario. Why would she "transfer to another school" just to go pro?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/18/14 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When all is said and done, these are kids. Why do we expect them to act like grownups, when at least half the adults in the world don't act like grownups?

PostPosted: 04/18/14 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
When all is said and done, these are kids. Why do we expect them to act like grownups, when at least half the adults in the world don't act like grownups?

Best comment in this thread.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 04/18/14 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she'll go to the other USC and become an athlete/film star. As good a guess as anyone's at this point because we just don't know.

-30-

PostPosted: 04/18/14 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Not really. She has parents. Indeed she has parents with whom she is close and at least her father has been involved from day 1 in her recruitment and her play. At least you would hope the grownups would act like grownups. This is what was written in the newspaper recently

"While he would love to be attending tonight’s game against region host Stanford, DeShields said his children have adjusted to him not always being able to make it because of the nature of his job. But not being there in person doesn’t mean he’s not still communicating with his daughter about each game, keeping his coaching hat on as they look toward the next tip-off.

“The biggest thing I try to tell her is she’s no good for us sitting on the bench,” he said. “I always try to remind her about her foul situation and playing smart more than anything else. There’s really nothing in particular other than that. I tell her, you know, ‘Good luck, I love you.’ But remind her to stay on the floor.”

If you think she did this without her father being involved, I think you are completely dreaming.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/18/14 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So according to the discussion on Inside Carolina, DeShields attended UNC's annual WBB banquet last night like everything was hunky dory, and then today announces she's leaving without saying a single word about it to Hatchell.

Odd way to leave.

Maybe she was upset that she didn't get the Overall Champion award (which is what they call the equivalent of their MVP).

So who did get the Overall Champion award and is there really such an award?

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/18/14 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

... Stephanie Mavunga was recognized as the team's Overall Champion for receiving the most cumulative points in all of the statistical categories in which totals are kept throughout the season, while Diamond DeShields was named top offensive player.

... DeShields was recognized for being named the ACC Rookie of the Year among her numerous awards she racked up this past season for the Tar Heels. ...

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209470441

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/18/14 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
... Stephanie Mavunga was recognized as the team's Overall Champion for receiving the most cumulative points in all of the statistical categories in which totals are kept throughout the season, while Diamond DeShields was named top offensive player.

... DeShields was recognized for being named the ACC Rookie of the Year among her numerous awards she racked up this past season for the Tar Heels. ...

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3350&ATCLID=209470441

Speaking of Mavunga, DeShields was a big reason why she chose UNC over Purdue. It was that group of 4 that pretty much swayed her. I wonder if she and maybe the others are thinking about a change.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/18/14 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Not really. She has parents. Indeed she has parents with whom she is close and at least her father has been involved from day 1 in her recruitment and her play. At least you would hope the grownups would act like grownups. This is what was written in the newspaper recently

"While he would love to be attending tonight’s game against region host Stanford, DeShields said his children have adjusted to him not always being able to make it because of the nature of his job. But not being there in person doesn’t mean he’s not still communicating with his daughter about each game, keeping his coaching hat on as they look toward the next tip-off.

“The biggest thing I try to tell her is she’s no good for us sitting on the bench,” he said. “I always try to remind her about her foul situation and playing smart more than anything else. There’s really nothing in particular other than that. I tell her, you know, ‘Good luck, I love you.’ But remind her to stay on the floor.”

If you think she did this without her father being involved, I think you are completely dreaming.

I'm sure her dad was involved, Mr. Wet Blanket. She may have wanted to come home from Day 1, for all you know, and he encouraged her to stay through the season. But at the end of it all, she is still his little girl. I know how that works. Maybe you don't.

PostPosted: 04/18/14 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I'm sure her dad was involved, Mr. Wet Blanket. She may have wanted to come home from Day 1, for all you know, and he encouraged her to stay through the season. But at the end of it all, she is still his little girl. I know how that works. Maybe you don't.

Don't follow recruiting much do you.

You're big on name calling though, I see.

Why not try just discussing the issues for once?

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 04/18/14 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some comments from Deshields high school coach . This is from Gwinnettprepsports.com :

Angie Hembree, DeShields' coach at Norcross, said the star forward plans to complete classes later this month and return home to consider her future plans. She must sit out a transfer year to another Division I program and Hembree said ACC rules keep her from transferring to another ACC school. That would eliminate two teams that recruited her heavily out of high school, Maryland and Duke. Tennessee and Connecticut also were among her top choices during her recruitment.

"She played her butt off, won freshman of the year, but she was not happy," Hembree said. "(The UNC coaches) knew she hasn't been happy. Knowing what a good year she had, what a good person she is, to make the tough decision to sit out a year tells you a lot. She was honest and up front and she played her tail off (last season). She loves Coach Hatchell. She just felt, deep down, that she had to make a change.

"She's very loyal. She's not the kind of person who won't be loyal. ... She just was not happy and made a tough decision."

Hembree also said the break may be good physically for DeShields, who has played constantly and through injuries in recent years.

"She's played non-stop since the ninth grade, in the summers and during the year," Hembree said. "She played hurt for me. She played hurt for North Carolina. She just wants to get completely well."

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/18/14 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Up to your usual tricks, I see. When someone disagrees with you, or brings up another possibility, you accuse them of not discussing the issues. Same old Art, whichever board you're on. *yawn*

PostPosted: 04/18/14 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
An interesting quote by Te'a Cooper printed in Prospects Nation a while back that may reflect on this entire situation:

“I think that happiness is very important; the players all being happy and that they play as a team,” Cooper said. ...<snip> ...Cooper said..... “Everybody that’s not happy says it’s because when they went there they didn’t do the things they said they were going to do for that player or it’s not what they made it seem like when they go there. So I don’t want that to happen to me so I’m trying to find a place where the coaches love what they’re doing and the players love being there and it’s fun like it’s supposed to be.”

This is an interesting aside to the specific topic of Deshields' decision: The concept of hunting down "happiness" & "fun" as tangible goals. Rolling Eyes Who, in all of God's Green Earth, is feeding kids this bullshit? Granted, we don't need any more Renee Portlands screwing with kids' heads, but....YOU'RE NOT THERE TO HAVE "FUN" AND SEEK "HAPPINESS". You're there to: 1. Get an education and 2. Play basketball. Hopefully, you'll learn about acquiring edification and fulfillment along the way, and maybe even be happy (most of the time?) in doing so.

ArtBest23 wrote:
Last year it was DeShields and Gray were supposed to have been lifelong inseparable BFFs. Apparently not. Now it's DeShields and Cooper are supposedly joined at the hip.

Another interesting aside, in light of the 'other' thread floating around here regarding the differences between coaching men and women. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/18/14 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Up to your usual tricks, I see. When someone disagrees with you, or brings up another possibility, you accuse them of not discussing the issues. Same old Art, whichever board you're on. *yawn*

Seriously, this is just old...handle your personal problems somewhere else Rolling Eyes

UTexRulz23

PostPosted: 04/19/14 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Found this tweet:

Mike Flynn ‏@MikeFlynn826 Apr 17
Calls galore on @DDeShields23 transfer w 5 in rumor mix @LadyVol_Hoops @GamecockWBB @TexasWBB @UKHoopCats @UGA_WBB @wparker @debbieantonelli

PostPosted: 04/19/14 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
23"]Last year it was DeShields and Gray were supposed to have been lifelong inseparable BFFs. Apparently not. Now it's DeShields and Cooper are supposedly joined at the hip.

Another interesting aside, in light of the 'other' thread floating around here regarding the differences between coaching men and women. Laughing

A serious question is, are the players actually different, or do fans just graft different emotions onto their images of the players? Did these players actually call each other BFFs, or was that just an image of them concocted by fans? Did DeShields recruit Gray just to try to try to build a winning team? Was it all business, the same as one would think of the men? Or were they actually great personal friends, dying to play together? Evidently if there were personal feelings, they weren't very deep. That is unless all four transfer together, I suppose.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/19/14 4:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
23"]Last year it was DeShields and Gray were supposed to have been lifelong inseparable BFFs. Apparently not. Now it's DeShields and Cooper are supposedly joined at the hip.

A serious question is, are the players actually different, or do fans just graft different emotions onto their images of the players? Did these players actually call each other BFFs, or was that just an image of them concocted by fans? Did DeShields recruit Gray just to try to try to build a winning team? Was it all business, the same as one would think of the men? Or were they actually great personal friends, dying to play together? Evidently if there were personal feelings, they weren't very deep. That is unless all four transfer together, I suppose.

Can you imagine? Shocked Made me wonder if UNC would go KSU on them and deny their releases. I think articles with the graciousness that Sylvia handled this with should be mass-mailed to KSU.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Howee wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Can you imagine? Shocked Made me wonder if UNC would go KSU on them and deny their releases. I think articles with the graciousness that Sylvia handled this with should be mass-mailed to KSU.

Well, not entirely gracious:

"I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill," said head coach Sylvia Hatchell.

But it's apparent that they did grant the release, and she does go on to say she loves DD and wishes her well, so it's still well ahead of Mittie and KSU.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: