RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DeShields to transfer from UNC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucdt3

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Shocked

South Carolina??? Wink

Unless Staley revokes someone's scholarship, USC has 15 players on scholly after A'ja's signing. 16 players on roster in total. Not sure who is the walk-on or if someone is leaving. They currently have 11 freshmen, sophomores, and juniors and signed 5 players for next year. They only graduate one senior from this season's roster.

South Carolina currently has ten on scholarship and two walkons . Walkons are Leanna Morrison and India Farmer . They should still have a scholarship if they wanted to use it for a transfer . I think the question is would they have enough basketballs (lol) ?

Thanks. Figured one or two had to be walk-ons. But it didn't list it in their bios.
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Maybe she one-ups(two-ups?) Epiphany Prince & goes to Europe? Nothing about this kid would surprise me much. Confused

agree. it's possible. well, the good thing is we won't have to hear Antonelli rave on and on forever... on second thought, she'll probably still rave on and on.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what are all the ESPN yacking heads who kept defending her obnoxious conduct as simply Taurasi-like confidence going to say now?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am sure this will get some backlash...but how is this different from a school not renewing a scholarship? We get all up in arms about that but then when a kid leaves a school high & dry at this time of year, there is no reaction. There are literally hundreds of transfers every year...and if we included every sport, we are talking well over a thousand transfers. But how many non-renewals actually happen?

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
So what are all the ESPN yacking heads who kept defending her obnoxious conduct as simply Taurasi-like confidence going to say now?

Art, are there harsher sanctions for transferring within the conference or putting it directly what are the sanctions in general? Thanks.

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
stever wrote:
Maybe she one-ups(two-ups?) Epiphany Prince & goes to Europe? Nothing about this kid would surprise me much. Confused

agree. it's possible. well, the good thing is we won't have to hear Antonelli rave on and on forever... on second thought, she'll probably still rave on and on.

If she leaves the ACC, I think we can assume that Antonelli will have many fewer nice things to say about her.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ACC has a rule that players cannot transfer w/in conference. She will be heading outside the ACC.

purduefanatic, re: your question about non-renewals. Are you talking all sports or just women's basketball? It happens a lot in football.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Art, are there harsher sanctions for transferring within the conference or putting it directly what are the sanctions in general? Thanks.

Probably, but I'm not familiar with the ACC transfer rules.

Interesting that some rumors say she has left UNC already. If she does not complete one full year in residence, she could suffer additional transfer rules under her LOI on addition to the standard NCAA rules. At worst, without a releade or succesful appeal, that vould mean two years out and loss of a year of eligibility. Not that I think for a second any of that will hapen. These days most BB players don't even end up sitting out a year it seems.

My guess is that DeShields, Cooper and Durr all end up at home-state UGA. DeShields could sit a year and have three years left just when Cooper and Durr arrive.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
The ACC has a rule that players cannot transfer w/in conference. She will be heading outside the ACC.

purduefanatic, re: your question about non-renewals. Are you talking all sports or just women's basketball? It happens a lot in football.

Don't think that's correct. Looking at article VI of the ACC rules (after writing my previous post) , it looks to me like you have to sit one year, can't get a scholarship for that year (but can practice) and that year counts as a year of eligibility.

Her dad can afford the tuition if that's what she wants to do, and maybe she doesn't care about losing a year of eligibility, but I don't really see any likely ACC destination.

Still think she'll end up at UGA. Tenn and MD might be possibilities.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I am sure this will get some backlash...but how is this different from a school not renewing a scholarship? We get all up in arms about that but then when a kid leaves a school high & dry at this time of year, there is no reaction. There are literally hundreds of transfers every year...and if we included every sport, we are talking well over a thousand transfers. But how many non-renewals actually happen?

Nah, 90% of the posts and of the talking head comments will be that she should be free to transfer anywhere she wants today and play tomorrow without any consequences.

I have yet to figure out how that situation is good for the game.

noleman

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the FSU game she mentioned Sue Semrau was her mentor, would love to see her here but that obviously won't happen.

I remember when she committed to UNC, She said Tenn was her 2nd choice. Will be interesting to see where she lands.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
kool-aide wrote:

Don't think that's correct. Looking at article VI of the ACC rules (after writing my previous post) , it looks to me like you have to sit one year, can't get a scholarship for that year (but can practice) and that year counts as a year of eligibility.

Her dad can afford the tuition if that's what she wants to do, and maybe she doesn't care about losing a year of eligibility, but I don't really see any likely ACC destination.

I've asked a couple of people about the rule. And my understanding and theirs could be wrong. None of us are in the compliance office or an athletic dept. So we could be wrong. ::shrug:: Now, whether Louisville counts as an ACC school for the transfer rule is unclear. The guy that got kicked off the team is allowed to transfer to an ACC school b/c L'ville wasn't an ACC school this year.

beknighted

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Interesting that some rumors say she has left UNC already. If she does not complete one full year in residence, she could suffer additional transfer rules under her LOI on addition to the standard NCAA rules. At worst, without a releade or succesful appeal, that vould mean two years out and loss of a year of eligibility. Not that I think for a second any of that will hapen. These days most BB players don't even end up sitting out a year it seems.

I think a lot of the situations that look like it's less than a year are mid-year transfers, where you lose a year, but actually get to play starting in January of the next season.

Last edited by beknighted on 04/17/14 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Homyonkel

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:

Uconn never takes transfers, ever...it would be a 911 sign of despiration if Geno started now.

One coach's desperation is another's occasional practice:

Brittany Hunter

Christine Rigby

Rashidat Sadiq

Rita Williams

If I remember correctly, Sadiq and Williams were Junior College transfers.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
kool-aide wrote:

I've asked a couple of people about the rule. And my understanding and theirs could be wrong. None of us are in the compliance office or an athletic dept. So we could be wrong. ::shrug:: Now, whether Louisville counts as an ACC school for the transfer rule is unclear. The guy that got kicked off the team is allowed to transfer to an ACC school b/c L'ville wasn't an ACC school this year.

I'm using a tablet and having difficulty linking a pdf of the rules, but here is a Duke compliance page that says exactly the same thing as the rule that I read - [url] http://m.goduke.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=205077343&[/url]

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Nah, 90% of the posts and of the talking head comments will be that she should be free to transfer anywhere she wants today and play tomorrow without any consequences.

I have yet to figure out how that situation is good for the game.

It probably wouldn't be good for the game, but it would be somewhat closer to a fair balance. Unless a school loses a scholarship for a year if it non-renews, then a player shouldn't lose a year if she does. The school can just dump a player, why shouldn't the player be able to just dump a school?

I'm fine with changing the rule so that a scholly sits idle for a year if a player is not renewed, but it should go both ways.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC has taken a big shot for next year

1) DeShields won't be back
2) Hatchell will

Can't be good.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having seen her prima donna behavior when the Tar Heels visited BC, I can't wait to hear what the reasoning is behind the transfer.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/14 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Looking at article VI of the ACC rules (after writing my previous post) , it looks to me like you have to sit one year, can't get a scholarship for that year (but can practice) and that year counts as a year of eligibility.

That's correct, per this document, except the penalty can be waived if the intra-ACC transfer student qualifies for an NCAA hardship waiver.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

zune69

PostPosted: 04/17/14 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm...Didn't realize Diamond is the daughter of former baseball player Delino Deshields.And her mother was a AA Track and Field star at Tennessee

A lot of back and forth on twitter between Diamond and top Tennessee prospect Te'a Cooper, https://twitter.com/DDeShields23

Te'a Cooper's boyfriend has an offer to play football for Tennessee

Before Diamond signed with UNC,she was considering Tennessee.

Hmm....

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/17/14 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/espnw/video/10798911/deshields-leave-unc

Add Antonelli to the list thinking DeShields is going to Tennessee

PostPosted: 04/17/14 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because of the ACC transfer rule, I don't see DD going to another ACC school.

Because DD has always seemed to be highly motivated to achieve, I don't see her going to a school with a lower probability of winning the national championship than North Carolina.

That doesn't leave many possibilities. Perhaps just Tennessee, South Carolina and . . .

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Because of the ACC transfer rule, I don't see DD going to another ACC school.

Because DD has always seemed to be highly motivated to achieve, I don't see her going to a school with a lower probability of winning the national championship than North Carolina.

That doesn't leave many possibilities. Perhaps just Tennessee, South Carolina and . . .

If Cooper and Durr join her, maybe UGA. And they have time to work to add a 2015 big or two. How many 2015 scholarships does UGA have available?

If she and Cooper and Durr are a package, isn't that universe of potential contenders actually pretty big? Like just about anywhere?

bullsky

PostPosted: 04/17/14 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Diamond goes to Tennessee it may be the dumbest move she'll make. The player development in Knoxville is at an all-time low.

How would it work in she transferred to Louisville? Louisville joins the ACC next year but if she transfers there now does that still affect the intraconference transferring clause?

PostPosted: 04/17/14 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
If Diamond goes to Tennessee it may be the dumbest move she'll make. The player development in Knoxville is at an all-time low.

How would it work in she transferred to Louisville? Louisville joins the ACC next year but if she transfers there now does that still affect the intraconference transferring clause?

Whether Louisville technically could or not, I think it's highly unlikely they would want their arrival in the conference to start with that. I doubt they'd take her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: