RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DeShields to transfer from UNC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chienboo

PostPosted: 04/20/14 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One has to wonder if she had been allowed to go to UCONN as she wanted
in the first place, would she had been such a "ginormous headache." Also one has to wonder given Genos ability to handle players. You yourself stated she was always in contact eith the UCONN pllayers while she was at Duke.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 04/20/14 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should DeShileds land at Tennessee, you would have to think they would be the favorite to win the SEC in a few years maybe even a national championship. Thought not the shooter Gray is, Nared would be a nice complement to DeShileds on the wing.
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/20/14 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Should DeShileds land at Tennessee, you would have to think they would be the favorite to win the SEC in a few years maybe even a national championship. Thought not the shooter Gray is, Nared would be a nice complement to DeShileds on the wing.

If DD wasn't happy with the UNC coaching staff, I doubt she'd be thrilled with Tennessee's. I don't know where she'll land. Dawn Staley would probably get the most out of her but is Diamond okay with sharing the spotlight? She'd be the go-to player at Georgia and Kentucky but would that experience be any different than her experience at UNC? Texas would be really interesting but kind of out of left field.

PostPosted: 04/20/14 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dawn Staley is probably the best suited to handle DD.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/20/14 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm skeptical that Staley would want to upset the chemistry on her team by taking DeShields. She has a pretty fully roster with nearly everyone returning and 4 recruits coming in.

Although watching her trying to control both DeShields and Cuevas could be entertaining.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/20/14 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
"Most"?? Come on, RAF!

Stop w/ such a ridor-esque exaggeration.

The UConn fanbase numbers in the multiple 100,000s of thousands. You refer to what, 50 at most? Let's pretend it's 100.

Does that % constitute "most" down there in Durham?

(And yes, I'm prepared for a protracted discussion re: my own commentary on EDD, (which, btw, began months before she arrived in Storrs) if you want to bore the snot out of the board.)

Re: Hunter- I don't necessarily disagree w/ you, but, had the scenario occurred during JPM's tenure, I wonder if your take would be exactly the same. Very Happy

You certainly have a point that out of thousands, it is possible that only 100 fans are nasty. Fine. I'll grant you on that. But the attacks were relentless not after one week but for *years*. I recall that when Elena scored a school record 54 points against James Madison in a 88-83 overtime win in Harrisonburg, your fans came out not to congratulate but to ridicule Elena. And I don't see anyone like *you* step in to lambast your own fans. Not even one. The coaches has to be aware of their fans' behavior - they just can't miss it - it was on Courant.com, it was on delawareonline.com and it was on ESPN. Coaches should have step in by making a comment via the press that the bullying is not appreciated nor acceptable. At least, say something! But no, Geno & Chris chose not to do anything about it.

As for Duke's Cameron Crazies, I agreed with some UT fan about the appalling behavior on Duke's part. Many years ago when Virginia owned Duke, I attended the games in Durham. And yes, the fans has evolved when Duke has improved tremendously. And I was appalled that Gail & Joanne chose not to use the microphone from their public announcer or express their thoughts to the press to urge the fans to behave better than that.

That is what Debbie Ryan did at Virginia. When Virginia lost to Clemson for 4th straight time in 1997, I recall seeing the UVa fans being frustrated and hostile towards Clemson. It was little funny at that time as my friend told me that lots of ugly remarks were tossed at Coach Jim Davis, Jaci Stimson & Lauren Cottrell (these two were very physical players at Clemson) with 3 minutes left when the fans realized that Virginia won't win as Clemson led by 15. Since I'm Deaf, I was oblivious to the whole incident but I was fortunate to have a hearing friend who told me what was going on. Then I noticed something interesting - right after the loss, Debbie immediately took the microphone from the public announcer to chastise her own fans for behaving like that. At that time, I did not understand why she was doing that until I read about it in the local papers the next morning.

That is what we needed from Geno but no, he was aware that his own fans were mean to many, he chose not to do anything about it.

Debbie Ryan? Class.
Pat Summitt? Class.
Geno Auriemma? No class.

And what did you do? Absolutely nothing to stem your own fans from bullying others, all you did was to deflect it back on others who got fed up with your fans' antics.

Now, that is the problem.

R-

ridor

PostPosted: 04/20/14 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mind if anyone can tell me why Te'a Cooper decommitted from UNC the first time around?

R-

coffy73

PostPosted: 04/21/14 1:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'm skeptical that Staley would want to upset the chemistry on her team by taking DeShields. She has a pretty fully roster with nearly everyone returning and 4 recruits coming in.

Although watching her trying to control both DeShields and Cuevas could be entertaining.

I wouldn't do it. Staley's got a great group of women and better ones coming in. DeShields is someone who wants/needs to come in and be the leader and one team that really needs that is Tennessee. They haven't had that type of player since Candace left...one who is good and can put the team on her back and say follow me! Plus, if Holly let Simmons run wild, you better believe she'll give Diamond the green light to shoot whenever!

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/06/14 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dan Fleser ‏@fleserKNS 1h

Diamond DeShields, on campus today making a visit to #ladyvols. Believed to be a one-day visit.

RP

PostPosted: 05/14/14 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gogamecocks.com/2014/05/14/596437/deshields-to-visit-usc.html?sp=/99/101/

terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/16/14 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to see Diamond in orange

~UK~

PostPosted: 05/17/14 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC is an ideal place for her. A strong coach she can relate to and learn a lot from and a program loaded with talent. It's a win, win.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/18/14 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Go to Tennessee

PostPosted: 05/19/14 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do not think that UCONN is on her radar. I agree that, like Art there are many contingencies that will ultimately shape her final decision. Even though Georgia is a strong contender, I still see South Carolina and Tennessee as the front runners favoring Tennessee. Well, wherever she goes, God bless her and good luck.

PostPosted: 05/19/14 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too bad she can't transfer to ND, a backcourt of DeShields and Loyd would be killer.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/27/14 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smart move. Get as far away from Sylvia as possible. Dawn will get you ready for the WNBA and maybe more...

Ladyvol777

PostPosted: 05/28/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thank DD will go to Tennessee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: