RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New Nike Uniforms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 04/17/14 7:37 am    ::: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

Illinois will be the first NCAA women's basketball team to wear Nike's new batch of uniforms. What does everything think?

https://www.facebook.com/IlliniWBasketball/photos/a.127590969814.129841.113296089814/10152780226324815/?type=1&theater

PostPosted: 04/17/14 8:30 am    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Illinois will be the first NCAA women's basketball team to wear Nike's new batch of uniforms. What does everything think?

https://www.facebook.com/IlliniWBasketball/photos/a.127590969814.129841.113296089814/10152780226324815/?type=1&theater

They look good...but here's my question: if Nike is unveiling a new line of women's basketball uniforms, why on earth would they use Illinois to debut them when the Illini were the 12th place team in the Big Ten?

That is NOT meant to be condescending or rude or anything, but a legit question. Considering they sponsor such teams as UConn, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, North Carolina, Kentucky Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Michigan St, LSU, Purdue, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas, etc. It would seem if they were going to release new uniforms, they would go with a more high profile and successful program.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:09 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
bullsky wrote:

They look good...but here's my question: if Nike is unveiling a new line of women's basketball uniforms, why on earth would they use Illinois to debut them when the Illini were the 12th place team in the Big Ten?

That is NOT meant to be condescending or rude or anything, but a legit question. Considering they sponsor such teams as UConn, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon St, North Carolina, Kentucky Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Michigan St, LSU, Purdue, Ohio State, Penn State, Texas, etc. It would seem if they were going to release new uniforms, they would go with a more high profile and successful program.

Oh please. These just happen to be the first ones off the board. Get over it. And you come off as VERY condescending!

As to the Ill unis, I think they're pretty nice and classy. My nephew is in the grad sports management program at Oregon which is affiliated with Nike, and I've learned that this is why Oregon has so many changes of uniform…..they're not Ducks, they're guinea pigs! Wink I believe Tennessee has now gone over to Nike after years with Adidas, and I look forward to seeing what their new ones look like. I wasn't too impressed with the "Smokey gray" ones.

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:20 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Oh please. These just happen to be the first ones off the board. Get over it. And you come off as VERY condescending!

As to the Ill unis, I think they're pretty nice and classy. My nephew is in the grad sports management program at Oregon which is affiliated with Nike, and I've learned that this is why Oregon has so many changes of uniform…..they're not Ducks, they're guinea pigs! Wink I believe Tennessee has now gone over to Nike after years with Adidas, and I look forward to seeing what their new ones look like. I wasn't too impressed with the "Smokey gray" ones.

LOL...how did I know that you would be the one to respond? Did you even read what bullsky wrote? It certainly appears as though they were saying that Illinois would be the first team to wear these uniforms. In business and marketing, when you are releasing a new product, you try to make a big splash. My point was the defending national champions or other highly visible program would seem to make more sense.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:34 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
bullsky wrote:

LOL...how did I know that you would be the one to respond? Did you even read what bullsky wrote? It certainly appears as though they were saying that Illinois would be the first team to wear these uniforms. In business and marketing, when you are releasing a new product, you try to make a big splash. My point was the defending national champions or other highly visible program would seem to make more sense.

And you continue to be condescending. Probably the reason I was first to respond is that I was first to read it…..did that occur to you? Most likely not. And yes, I most certainly did read what bullsky wrote, and my response stands.

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nike re-did all the Cal uniforms this year and they are not impressive....hopefully they will offer up a redesign more likes the ones shown here.

They totally destroyed the softball uniforms....the new ones look like polyester crap I wore in the 70s....

I really like the Adidas wbb uniforms (like ND)....

Phil

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it possible Illinois is a new client, and this was a sweetener?

I've noticed that Oregon is the guinea pig, but I've liked their football uniforms over the last few years.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:56 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And you continue to be condescending. Probably the reason I was first to respond is that I was first to read it…..did that occur to you? Most likely not. And yes, I most certainly did read what bullsky wrote, and my response stands.

Actually, there were at least a few dozen views and about 3 1/2 hours between my comment and yours...but no biggie. Bullsky wrote...and I quote "Illinois will be the first NCAA women's basketball team to wear Nike's new batch of uniforms."

And to Phil, no, Illinois has been with Nike for a while.

Last edited by purduefanatic on 04/17/14 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phil

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:59 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

And to Phil, no, Illinois has been with Nike for a while.

OK thanks.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/14 1:02 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Nike's new batch of uniforms. What does everything think?

Think?

I think shoe money corrupts the entire sport: the schools, coaches and players. I can't stand seeing the Nike swoosh on state university uniforms.

When I played, we wore the same hand-me-down uniforms from the guys who played in the 1930's and bought our own sneakers at Sears, Roebuck & Co.

Nike -- originally a kinky winged goddess before she became an intercontinental ballistic missile -- should be nuked.

On the superficial aspect of the question: meh. I see nothing but a chiaroscuro photograph.

RDub21

PostPosted: 04/17/14 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see purduefanatic's question as condescending, I think it's a legit question. Maybe the answer is in fact something rather simple, but I had the same thought run through my head.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/17/14 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks RDub.

And here's more to the story...Illinois contacted Nike a couple years ago about re-doing their entire brand. Kind of a cool thing:

http://www.fightingillini.com/genrel/041614aab.html

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/17/14 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Nike redesigned Cal's "brand" and IMHO, it was a step back: http://nikeinc.com/news/cal-athletics-unveils-updated-brand-identity-for-golden-bears

Plus, we got this awful HUGE distracting Bear on the bball court at Haas....
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BL2mpYOCYAAmxVO.jpg:medium

that replaced a much nicer (clean) design: http://image1.stadiumjourney.com/images/stadiums/821_Haas_2.jpg

Nike designs represent graphic churn and not much else.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/17/14 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hhmmmm...yeah, I like what they did with Illinois and not as much with Cal.

CalwbbFan

PostPosted: 04/17/14 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Hhmmmm...yeah, I like what they did with Illinois and not as much with Cal.

I like the Illinois unis better...hopefully Cal will have yet chance at a second "rebrand"....fingers crossed for a Bear-less Haas too.... Laughing

dtsnms

PostPosted: 04/17/14 2:47 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Think?

I think shoe money corrupts the entire sport: the schools, coaches and players. I can't stand seeing the Nike swoosh on state university uniforms.

When I played, we wore the same hand-me-down uniforms from the guys who played in the 1930's and bought our own sneakers at Sears, Roebuck & Co.

Nike -- originally a kinky winged goddess before she became an intercontinental ballistic missile -- should be nuked.

On the superficial aspect of the question: meh. I see nothing but a chiaroscuro photograph.

Glenn did you play uphill, both ways, too? Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/17/14 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:

They totally destroyed the softball uniforms....the new ones look like polyester crap I wore in the 70s...

Funny you should say that. When I saw the picture of these uniforms the first thought I had was that they look like old Ban Lon golf shirts.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/14 7:07 pm    ::: Re: New Nike Uniforms Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Think?

Glenn did you play uphill, both ways, too? Wink

Absolutely. In blizzards. When the earth was really cold.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/14 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...and had to walk six miles to school in the snow...

I think they look nice, but ultimately a uni is a uni. The main thing for me was always if it fit and was comfortable. Anything else was/is just gravy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: