RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ugly Situation At Kansas State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/23/14 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ksuwbbfan wrote:
According to the NCAA, you cannot retract permission once it is given. It's clear to me that the inmates are running the asylum in the KSU administration.

http://themercury.com/articles/k-state-retracts-permission-for-mtsu-to-contact-romero

Its almost like there's some power struggle in the KSU administration and Romero is the pawn.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 05/23/14 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

WTF is all I've got.

PostPosted: 05/23/14 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
This is just truly very bizarre. At any rate, where is the Big XII in this? This is one of their schools and they are getting beat up in news all over the place and yet K-State almost seems like they have their head stuck in the sand.

At some point shouldn't the Commissioner of the Big XII step in and tell them they need to end this insanity as soon as possible?

I'd like to know why the school president hasn't stepped in and put an end to this. If he can't override any appeals process, then he's just an empty suit.

ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 05/23/14 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Romero exploring other options.

http://themercury.com/articles/romero-exploring-other-options-to-gain-her-release

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/23/14 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ksuwbbfan wrote:
Romero exploring other options.

http://themercury.com/articles/romero-exploring-other-options-to-gain-her-release

Have we all just gone through the looking glass here? SMDH
Shocked

PostPosted: 05/24/14 2:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The smartest thing KSU's president could do right now to save the universities athletics would be to fire Currie, Bosco and Mittie and claim it was a conspiracy within them AD's office and the perpetrators have been terminated, release Romero and then hire an assistant AD from a reputable university outside the Big 12 to "clean house".

KSU gets a clean slate, people have been punished and the problem has gone away. The university can breathe a sigh of relief, KSU appears as a proactive progressive school and they can stop installing the gun implacements on the roof of the Athletic administration building.

PostPosted: 05/24/14 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

Quote:
"K-State told me they couldn't do anything with the schools on my list," Romero said. "I think they released me to have contact with them and didn't know they were on my list, but then found out and took it back. I thought if they could release me to one school on my list, there's no reason to not release me to others. They did it. And that shows that they can do it — they just don't want to."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/mtsu/2014/05/23/mtsu-can-talk-transfer/9522089/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/24/14 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dfineguy wrote:
The smartest thing KSU's president could do right now to save the universities athletics would be to fire Currie, Bosco and Mittie and claim it was a conspiracy within them AD's office and the perpetrators have been terminated, release Romero and then hire an assistant AD from a reputable university outside the Big 12 to "clean house".

KSU gets a clean slate, people have been punished and the problem has gone away. The university can breathe a sigh of relief, KSU appears as a proactive progressive school and they can stop installing the gun implacements on the roof of the Athletic administration building.

Yes, he could do that…..but is he too dumb, or just too stubborn to see the light?

PostPosted: 05/24/14 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Yes, he could do that…..but is he too dumb, or just too stubborn to see the light?

Dumb, no. Stubborn, yes. Just like the rest of them. Can't admit they have screwed up.

Here's another take on the situation.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/844-athletes-and-the-price-of-coaching-changes

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/24/14 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read on another site that there is now a FREE LETICIA ROMERO movement going which is encouraging e-mails to both Currie and the president of KSU telling them to do just that. If public shaming won't work, maybe crashing their e-mails will?

PostPosted: 05/24/14 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The e-mail addresses for the above, if anyone is interested, are:

John Currie: kstatead@kstatesports.com (athletic director)

Pat Bosco: bosco@k-state.edu (has been spokesman for "appeals committee")

Kirk Shultz: kirks@k-state.edu (President of KSU)

Maybe if they saw that people outside their little sphere have noticed how bad their actions make KSU look, they might just reconsider. Or maybe not. But it's worth a try, I would think.

PostPosted: 05/24/14 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think at this point they really don't care about public opinion and I'm sure they have someone screening their e-mails.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/25/14 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ksuwbbfan wrote:
I think at this point they really don't care about public opinion and I'm sure they have someone screening their e-mails.

They may have someone screening them, but that someone can tell them if the general tenor of the e-mails is unfavorable…..which it almost certainly will be. Also, the system can be crashed if there are enough e-mails, and that will definitely tell them something! It's been done before!

PostPosted: 05/25/14 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As to the president of KSU, Shultz, it's inconceivable that he's not fully informed about this entire situation, both the external an internal aspects. Given that two vice presidents and the AD have publicly stated that the appeal committee's decision is final and binding, it's logical to assume Shultz has reviewed and approved that position.

I'm still very curious about Currie's May 5 letter asking the committee to reconsider. How did ESPN and the Manhattan Mercury get that internal letter? The Mercury said it got it from Romero's lawyer, Donald Jackson. How did he get it? One possibility is that someone at KSU -- Currie? -- deliberately leaked it. Why? To deflect blame onto a supposedly non-reviewable committee decision and away from the Athletic Department?

“We're all mad here.” - Alice
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/25/14 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did anyone post this? (Sorry if it's been posted before) http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/10964061/outside-lines-kansas-state-wildcats-ad-john-currie-asks-committee-reconsider-transfer-request-leticia-romero

PostPosted: 05/25/14 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'm still very curious about Currie's May 5 letter asking the committee to reconsider. How did ESPN and the Manhattan Mercury get that internal letter? The Mercury said it got it from Romero's lawyer, Donald Jackson. How did he get it? One possibility is that someone at KSU -- Currie? -- deliberately leaked it. Why? To deflect blame onto a supposedly non-reviewable committee decision and away from the Athletic Department?

That sounds like an entirely reasonable hypothesis.

ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 05/25/14 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
One possibility is that someone at KSU -- Currie? -- deliberately leaked it. Why? To deflect blame onto a supposedly non-reviewable committee decision and away from the Athletic Department?

I wouldn't put it past Currie to do that.

ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 05/25/14 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is from a former columnist for the Kansas City Star who now writes for NBC Sports.

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/let-her-go/

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 05/25/14 7:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ksuwbbfan wrote:
This is from a former columnist for the Kansas City Star who now writes for NBC Sports.

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/let-her-go/

That's a hell of a piece.
linkster

PostPosted: 05/25/14 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As to the president of KSU, Shultz, it's inconceivable that he's not fully informed about this entire situation, both the external an internal aspects. Given that two vice presidents and the AD have publicly stated that the appeal committee's decision is final and binding, it's logical to assume Shultz has reviewed and approved that position.

The committee only handles appeals of Currie's decisions. The finality of their decisions is only with respect to the original ruling and does not prevent Currie from changing his ruling based on "new and more complete information".

There is a prime directive in public administration that says "never be in any room in which a decision is about to be made". LOL

MBR_CT33

PostPosted: 05/26/14 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ksuwbbfan"]This is from a former columnist for the Kansas City Star who now writes for NBC Sports.

[url]http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/let-her-go/[/url][/quote]

That was a funny blog piece by the author, Joe Posnaski. I especially liked the "googled" images of the "Canary Islands" and of "Manhattan, Kansas"...nice touch!

I'm curios here, shouldn't the NCAA step in here...after all I keep hearing/reading about how everyone always wants what's best for the "student athlete"? This "student athlete" wants out of Manhattan, Kansas.

Has anyone mentioned to Romero that maybe by "clicking" her basketball shoes 3 times...and repeating, "There's no place like home", that she may actually get to leave Manhattan, Kansas behind?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/26/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MTSU did better than KSU this past year. It is conceivable that if they got Romero, they could do a whole heck of a lot better. They are a pretty good team, one of those on the edge of just breaking through, like JMU. Just saying.

PostPosted: 05/26/14 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MBR_CT33 wrote:
Has anyone mentioned to Romero that maybe by "clicking" her basketball shoes 3 times...and repeating, "There's no place like home", that she may actually get to leave Manhattan, Kansas behind?

Though it's logical to believe she knows that story line, I'm thinking she actually doesn't WANT TO go "home", i.e., The Canary Islands. Laughing

PostPosted: 05/26/14 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now Romero has Donald Jackson as a lawyer, who specializes in sports law. Who's paying him? Surely this isn't a damages case where he can collect a big contingency fee, unless his legal theory is based in antitrust law where treble damages are sometimes available. Such a case would take many years to litigate.

Two words: pro bono.

Yes, that's the only thing that makes sense. Plus, it gets him publicity.

Just noticed something in one of the Mercury articles that makes me question whether attorney Donald Jackson is working pro bono.

"said Jackson, who told The Mercury financial arrangements have been made by Romero and her family in exchange for his services."

Romero's family in Spain wouldn't have to be involved in any "financial arrangements", or at all, if Jackson is representing Romero pro bono. Leticia is of legal age--18 going on 19 in two days--to retain an attorney, pro bono or otherwise. I can't off-hand think of any reason why Jackson would involve her parents unless they have agreed to pay for his services.

I wonder if any reporter has inquired into the financial strength of Romero's family. That is relevant to the issue of whether she can afford to pay for a sit-out year without an athletic scholarship.
beknighted

PostPosted: 05/26/14 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Now Romero has Donald Jackson as a lawyer, who specializes in sports law. Who's paying him? Surely this isn't a damages case where he can collect a big contingency fee, unless his legal theory is based in antitrust law where treble damages are sometimes available. Such a case would take many years to litigate.

Two words: pro bono.

Yes, that's the only thing that makes sense. Plus, it gets him publicity.

Just noticed something in one of the Mercury articles that makes me question whether attorney Donald Jackson is working pro bono.

"said Jackson, who told The Mercury financial arrangements have been made by Romero and her family in exchange for his services."

Romero's family in Spain wouldn't have to be involved in any "financial arrangements", or at all, if Jackson is representing Romero pro bono. Leticia is of legal age--18 going on 19 in two days--to retain an attorney, pro bono or otherwise. I can't off-hand think of any reason why Jackson would involve her parents unless they have agreed to pay for his services.

I wonder if any reporter has inquired into the financial strength of Romero's family. That is relevant to the issue of whether she can afford to pay for a sit-out year without an athletic scholarship.

She's 18 going on 19, as you say. It wouldn't be unusual for anyone that age to involve her parents in the discussions with a lawyer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: