RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ugly Situation At Kansas State
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 04/15/14 7:40 pm    ::: Ugly Situation At Kansas State Reply Reply with quote

Leading scorer and rebounder is seeking a release after the coaching change. School is denying her request. She compares it to blackmail.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-04-15/k-states-romero-compares-release-refusal-blackmail

One of the recruits for next season was granted a release.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 04/15/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never understand why a university prefers to slather itself with bad publicity rather than simply grant a release. It would serve Kansas State right if it became the next focus of athlete unionization efforts.

PostPosted: 04/15/14 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that ought to dry up the pool of recruits K State is recruiting Razz

Howee

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's pretty pathetic. Romero was about 80% of their *power* last year, so ya, she's a loss, but the Bigger Picture is waaay more negative if they screw her this way. I'd think Mittie would advocate for her, if he has any sense.

Isn't K-State the place that released a player a couple of years ago, but because of the circumstances, the NCAA also waived her year of 'sitting out' when she went to Gonzaga?

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is very stupid and spiteful of Mittie and K State, she wasn't your player so just release her and move on. Rolling Eyes

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When you change coaches, you have to expect some players to want to leave. Come on K-State Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes... really dumb. Don't get it.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't K-State the place that released a player a couple of years ago, but because of the circumstances, the NCAA also waived her year of 'sitting out' when she went to Gonzaga?

Taelor Karr.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/05/karr-ruling-didnt-cause-polar-shift-in-world-of/

Romero doesn't want to be here anymore. Let her go and move on.

dfineguy

PostPosted: 04/16/14 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Under Patterson, players were granted releases. Now, under Mittie's regime, managers are sent by the coach to threaten the player (AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS IF HE SENT MANAGERS TO DELIVER THAT MESSAGE) and enslave a foreign national.

If the K-State administration, not the athletic department but president and his staffers, has any brains, they will fire Mittie now for cause, not pay him and be rid of this now before it blows up completely and they have to fire him anyway with all the ensuing damage to the program. I heard there were complaints at TCU. They must have handed him a one-way ticket when he left.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now you know Kansas State is only doing this for the player's own good. After all, athletes are treated so well that there's no need to distrust the motives of any college or athletic institution.

The student-athletes always come first, so this must be the right decision.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Front page of USA Today sports section.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/kansas-state-basketball-star-blackmail/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/14 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This makes K-State look REALLY good /sarcasm
Who in their right mind is going to want to play for a school that treats their players this way? Most kids sign with a program to play for a particular coach and that's where their loyalties are. If Romero is serious and the school won't budge, she can always pull a Sydney Moss and go play for a D-III school for a year. But K-State really needs to reconsider, because they are doing nothing but giving themselves a black eye.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Now you know Kansas State is only doing this for the player's own good. After all, athletes are treated so well that there's no need to distrust the motives of any college or athletic institution.

Is this going to be your comment from here on out (something similar in at least a couple of other threads)...being a complete smart ass? Pretty unbecoming of someone that is supposed to be a respected member of the media.

The reality is that this is a complete joke by Kansas State...and the public reaction that they are getting is going to cause a major issue with them and I believe will force their hand to issue the release. Seriously, why a school wouldn't issue a release is beyond me seeing as the kid no longer wants to be there...why would the school want them there?

However, this is the exact situation where I think we are all in agreement that kids should be allowed to transfer without question...when a coaching change occurs. That is one change that the NCAA should make because these types of situations should NEVER happen.

Again, why would a school want a student-athlete to stay when they don't wanna be there? That makes ZERO sense.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Is this going to be your comment from here on out (something similar in at least a couple of other threads)...being a complete smart ass? Pretty unbecoming of someone that is supposed to be a respected member of the media.

The reality is that this is a complete joke by Kansas State...and the public reaction that they are getting is going to cause a major issue with them
and I believe will force their hand to issue the release. Seriously, why a school wouldn't issue a release is beyond me seeing as the kid no longer wants to be there...why would the school want them there?

However, this is the exact situation where I think we are all in agreement that kids should be allowed to transfer without question...when a coaching change occurs. That is one change that the NCAA should make because these types of situations should NEVER happen.

Again, why would a school want a student-athlete to stay when they don't wanna be there? That makes ZERO sense.

I don't get your problem with what Clay said. He was being no less sarcastic than I was. Unfortunately there is no "sarcasm" icon here.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The reality is that this is a complete joke by Kansas State...and the public reaction that they are getting is going to cause a major issue with them and I believe will force their hand to issue the release. Seriously, why a school wouldn't issue a release is beyond me seeing as the kid no longer wants to be there...why would the school want them there?

um, this was clearly sarcasm. Clay just forgot to include the Wink

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/16/14 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

An Athletic Department policy against granting releases makes sense to me. I'm sure it's the AD policy at most schools. The purpose is very simply to deter transfers, as is the NCAA's policy requiring transfer students to sit out a year in most cases.

A school has invested tens of thousands of dollars in a scholarship athlete. A school especially would not want players to transfer out when a coaching change is made. A school fires a coach and hires a different one for the very purpose of improving its team's performance. It would be shooting itself in the foot to allow the players to transfer without penalty at the very time the school is trying to improve with a better coach.

I believe schools are required to have an appeals mechanism so that, in individual situations, athletes can challenge an AD no-release policy in front of an independent school panel. This two-step procedure allows a school to maintain a general deterrent policy while allowing individual exceptions. Romero is now taking advantage of the appeal process at KSU.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/16/14 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don't get your problem with what Clay said. He was being no less sarcastic than I was. Unfortunately there is no "sarcasm" icon here.

myrtle wrote:
um, this was clearly sarcasm. Clay just forgot to include the Wink

LOL...I understand it was sarcasm, good grief. As it was the few other times he has posted something similar, which was why I finally responded to one of them. Once is fine, make your point and move on...but as a respected member of the media, to continue on acting like that is really pretty unbecoming, which was my point. His hatred of all things NCAA has been well documented so I was just curious if the sarcastic route was going to be his general way of dealing with issues going forward.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/16/14 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

An Athletic Department policy against granting releases makes sense to me. I'm sure it's the AD policy at most schools. The purpose is very simply to deter transfers, as is the NCAA's policy requiring transfer students to sit out a year in most cases.

A school has invested tens of thousands of dollars in a scholarship athlete. A school especially would not want players to transfer out when a coaching change is made. A school fires a coach and hires a different one for the very purpose of improving its team's performance. It would be shooting itself in the foot to allow the players to transfer without penalty at the very time the school is trying to improve with a better coach.

I believe schools are required to have an appeals mechanism so that, in individual situations, athletes can challenge an AD no-release policy in front of an independent school panel. This two-step procedure allows a school to maintain a general deterrent policy while allowing individual exceptions. Romero is now taking advantage of the appeal process at KSU.

I tend to agree with all of this...however, Mittie was hired a month ago. My guess is team meetings have transpired, maybe even some individual instruction on the court, whatever. At this point, the players have probably have had sufficient interaction to figure out whether or not they would like to stay.

My point earlier was this...if a kid doesn't want to be there, the last thing you want to do is force them to stay. A malcontent in any program is going to do nothing but slowly destroy that program.

ksuwbbfan

PostPosted: 04/16/14 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Romero's appeal hearing was today. She should hear something tonight or tomorrow regarding her release.

gymrat32

PostPosted: 04/16/14 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

It should be noted that ALL leverage is given to the school and the coach when it comes to student-athlete scholarships, so in cases where players aren't granted a release, it's basically a dictatorship type of system. For Mittie to send word thru his coaches that her appeal probably won't be granted is ridiculous....

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gymrat32 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

It should be noted that ALL leverage is given to the school and the coach when it comes to student-athlete scholarships, so in cases where players aren't granted a release, it's basically a dictatorship type of system. For Mittie to send word thru his coaches that her appeal probably won't be granted is ridiculous....

If Mittie really did that, he establishes himself as an a$$hat and will definitely hurt both himself and K-State when it comes to recruiting. Word gets around very quickly. And why would he really want a player there who doesn't want to be? Does he think he's that wonderful that he can change her mind, when he's already been there a month and she's decided she doesn't *want* to be there any more? That would be some powerful ego on his part.

PostPosted: 04/17/14 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is not about the people on this board.It about Romero being held hostage. Coaches were fired she should given a unconditonally release!!END OF STORY!!!!!!

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 04/17/14 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

allenleavell wrote:
It about Romero being held hostage.

"held hostage"? Yeah, I'd equate it to what hostages go through. Rolling Eyes

Kinda like when athletes say they are "starving"...tell them to take a look at kids in Cambodia and around the world.

kool-aide

PostPosted: 04/17/14 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
allenleavell wrote:
It about Romero being held hostage.

"held hostage"? Yeah, I'd equate it to what hostages go through. Rolling Eyes

Kinda like when athletes say they are "starving"...tell them to take a look at kids in Cambodia and around the world.

Once the LOI is signed, the players have very little leverage or power. Transferring is their only option and even that option is easily restricted by the coaching staff.

You may choose to believe that all athletes live cushy lives while in college but that isn't true. Also, just people somewhere else having a worse situation is a terrible reason for other people to not advocate for improvement in their situation.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/17/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
Also, just people somewhere else having a worse situation is a terrible reason for other people to not advocate for improvement in their situation.

Well, ya....but Purduefanatic's point is accurate: it's not REALLY a life/death Hostage situation. Razz The kid could just go home if it was all that miserable.

Sematics aside, it really is NOT a good move on KSU's part, for Romero or their future prospects. I can't believe no one there isn't intelligent enough to see that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: